Change Caption in Report

Hi all,

I am trying to set up macros based on a huge amount of reports to 
automatically print the reports all at once. However, I would like to change 
the caption setting so that I don't have to keep changing the file name each 
time. Is there a way to do this? I am new to Access so I'm not sure how to 
set this up.

For example, one report is called "rptCountrybySalesParent" and I would like 
each file to print out like "FrabySalesParent," "ItabySalesParent, 
"ChnbySalesParent," etc. I have the where conditions figured out, but the 
captions are puzzling me.

Thanks! Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.
0
Utf
4/22/2010 12:25:01 AM
access.reports 4434 articles. 0 followers. Follow

4 Replies
3535 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 41

neesie214 wrote:
>I am trying to set up macros based on a huge amount of reports to 
>automatically print the reports all at once. However, I would like to change 
>the caption setting so that I don't have to keep changing the file name each 
>time. Is there a way to do this? I am new to Access so I'm not sure how to 
>set this up.
>
>For example, one report is called "rptCountrybySalesParent" and I would like 
>each file to print out like "FrabySalesParent," "ItabySalesParent, 
>"ChnbySalesParent," etc. I have the where conditions figured out, but the 
>captions are puzzling me.
>


The report's caption should be changed by the report itself.
This is not very complicated because you can use the
OpenReport method's OpenArgs argument to pass the caption
text to the report when it is opened:

DoCmd.OpenReport "report name", view, _
			WhereCondition:= "filter conditions string", _
			OpenArgs:= "the desired caption"

Then the report's Open event can set the Caption:
	Me.Caption = Me.OpenArgs

-- 
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]
1
Marshall
4/22/2010 8:10:59 PM
Thanks for the help, but I'm still lost. Any change you could walk me through 
all that step by step?

"Marshall Barton" wrote:

> neesie214 wrote:
> >I am trying to set up macros based on a huge amount of reports to 
> >automatically print the reports all at once. However, I would like to change 
> >the caption setting so that I don't have to keep changing the file name each 
> >time. Is there a way to do this? I am new to Access so I'm not sure how to 
> >set this up.
> >
> >For example, one report is called "rptCountrybySalesParent" and I would like 
> >each file to print out like "FrabySalesParent," "ItabySalesParent, 
> >"ChnbySalesParent," etc. I have the where conditions figured out, but the 
> >captions are puzzling me.
> >
> 
> 
> The report's caption should be changed by the report itself.
> This is not very complicated because you can use the
> OpenReport method's OpenArgs argument to pass the caption
> text to the report when it is opened:
> 
> DoCmd.OpenReport "report name", view, _
> 			WhereCondition:= "filter conditions string", _
> 			OpenArgs:= "the desired caption"
> 
> Then the report's Open event can set the Caption:
> 	Me.Caption = Me.OpenArgs
> 
> -- 
> Marsh
> MVP [MS Access]
> .
> 
0
Utf
4/22/2010 9:36:02 PM
I don't use macros so I was leaving it to you to adjust the
form macro that opens the report.  Just use the OpenReport
action's OpenArgs argument to pass whatever caption string
you want to the report.

Then create and use a macro for the report's Open event to
set the caption.

I find it very difficult to describe a macro in a text
message, especially since I have not written a macro in more
than 10 years.  I use VBA code to communicate because it is
pretty unambiguous and, except for specific names and values
you are using, can mostly be Copy/Pasted for you to use.

If you were using VBA code to do whatever it is you are
tring to do, then you could Copy/Paste what you have so I
could try to pick up on some of the details you left out of
your text message.
-- 
Marsh
MVP [MS Access]


neesie214 wrote:
>Thanks for the help, but I'm still lost. Any change you could walk me through 
>all that step by step?
>
>"Marshall Barton" wrote:
>> neesie214 wrote:
>> >I am trying to set up macros based on a huge amount of reports to 
>> >automatically print the reports all at once. However, I would like to change 
>> >the caption setting so that I don't have to keep changing the file name each 
>> >time. Is there a way to do this? I am new to Access so I'm not sure how to 
>> >set this up.
>> >
>> >For example, one report is called "rptCountrybySalesParent" and I would like 
>> >each file to print out like "FrabySalesParent," "ItabySalesParent, 
>> >"ChnbySalesParent," etc. I have the where conditions figured out, but the 
>> >captions are puzzling me.
>> >
>> 
>> The report's caption should be changed by the report itself.
>> This is not very complicated because you can use the
>> OpenReport method's OpenArgs argument to pass the caption
>> text to the report when it is opened:
>> 
>> DoCmd.OpenReport "report name", view, _
>> 			WhereCondition:= "filter conditions string", _
>> 			OpenArgs:= "the desired caption"
>> 
>> Then the report's Open event can set the Caption:
>> 	Me.Caption = Me.OpenArgs
0
Marshall
4/23/2010 3:09:56 PM
Thank you for the help - after some further testing, I figured out how to 
change the caption as part of the macros I am working on. Thanks!

"Marshall Barton" wrote:

> I don't use macros so I was leaving it to you to adjust the
> form macro that opens the report.  Just use the OpenReport
> action's OpenArgs argument to pass whatever caption string
> you want to the report.
> 
> Then create and use a macro for the report's Open event to
> set the caption.
> 
> I find it very difficult to describe a macro in a text
> message, especially since I have not written a macro in more
> than 10 years.  I use VBA code to communicate because it is
> pretty unambiguous and, except for specific names and values
> you are using, can mostly be Copy/Pasted for you to use.
> 
> If you were using VBA code to do whatever it is you are
> tring to do, then you could Copy/Paste what you have so I
> could try to pick up on some of the details you left out of
> your text message.
> -- 
> Marsh
> MVP [MS Access]
> 
> 
> neesie214 wrote:
> >Thanks for the help, but I'm still lost. Any change you could walk me through 
> >all that step by step?
> >
> >"Marshall Barton" wrote:
> >> neesie214 wrote:
> >> >I am trying to set up macros based on a huge amount of reports to 
> >> >automatically print the reports all at once. However, I would like to change 
> >> >the caption setting so that I don't have to keep changing the file name each 
> >> >time. Is there a way to do this? I am new to Access so I'm not sure how to 
> >> >set this up.
> >> >
> >> >For example, one report is called "rptCountrybySalesParent" and I would like 
> >> >each file to print out like "FrabySalesParent," "ItabySalesParent, 
> >> >"ChnbySalesParent," etc. I have the where conditions figured out, but the 
> >> >captions are puzzling me.
> >> >
> >> 
> >> The report's caption should be changed by the report itself.
> >> This is not very complicated because you can use the
> >> OpenReport method's OpenArgs argument to pass the caption
> >> text to the report when it is opened:
> >> 
> >> DoCmd.OpenReport "report name", view, _
> >> 			WhereCondition:= "filter conditions string", _
> >> 			OpenArgs:= "the desired caption"
> >> 
> >> Then the report's Open event can set the Caption:
> >> 	Me.Caption = Me.OpenArgs
> .
> 
0
Utf
4/23/2010 9:04:01 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

External data link change
Hi, I've a sheet linked to an external data on the net, and I would like that a cell in this sheet to indicate the last date and time it was updated, the simplest way the better but I can do some programming too. Thanks for your attention, -- Domingos Junqueira No need of help any more, I solved the question. Thanks again ...

Why does the change change to a number?
Hi all, I've noticed something wierd and always wondered WHY it happens. When you type a date into a cell, and then change the Formatting of it to a 'general' cell, it turns into a number. How does it come up with that number? What is the significance? i.e. type today's date of "12/7/2007" - change it to a 'General' format, and it then says "39423". I'm a trainer of Excel and this question always comes up. I'm curious myself too. Thanks! Joe It's the number of days since January zero 1900 using Excel default for windows (M...

Reports error 05-17-07
I have recently migrated our CRM database to a new SQL 2005 server. I have setup reportserver on the server which works fine. When accessing Reports in CRM, I get mixed results: On the CRM server, the report window opens fine but with no reports On the SQL server, I get an error message "ERROR: An error has occurred. For more information, contact your system administrator" On other PC's I get the same error message. Is this a CRM error or a Report services error? It is getting slightly confusing now. Many thanks, Neil Paddock. Since you migrated the reports have you ch...

DST changes for Exchange 5.5
I noticed the 2007 DST Calendar Update "Exchange tool" is available now: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930879 This will seemingly take care of calendars for mailboxes still on Exchange 5.5 servers, as Exchange 5.5 is listed as "compatible" . However would this address the CDO issues such as BlackBerry users and OWA users still on Exchange 5.5 ? Thanks in advance, Itrcb4 On Mon, 12 Feb 2007 14:31:00 -0800, itrcb4 <itrcb4@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I noticed the 2007 DST Calendar Update "Exchange tool" is available now: > >http://su...

Track Changes
How do i remove the track changes in outlook? When i press "Enter", a symbol that represents "Enter" will appears. Same for space etc. ...

Setting a button caption to bold
Hi All, In VB6 and VB/C++.net I can select a button on a form and change the font property to bold. Is there a way to do the same with VC++6? Regards Colin You can use the class CFont and the function CWnd::SetFont, like the code block below: //---------------------------- CFont font; font.CreateFont(0, 0, 0, 0, FW_BOLD, 0, 0, 0, ANSI_CHARSET, OUT_STROKE_PRECIS, CLIP_STROKE_PRECIS, DRAFT_QUALITY, VARIABLE_PITCH | FF_SWISS, _T("Arial")); m_wndButton.SetFont(&font); //---------------------------- just a simply example "Col" <usesmob@hotmail.com> w...

Duplicate copies of a report
page hi to all I have a report that needs about 4" of height for each record. When printed, I'd like 2 identical copies of the report to appear on the page separated by a dotted line. I'm new to reports, so I could use a few clues how to do this. Thank you Becky "Becky" <Becky@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:641290ED-CA04-415B-9680-2E3BCF40921C@microsoft.com... > page hi to all > I have a report that needs about 4" of height for each record. When > printed, I'd like 2 identical copies of the report to appear on the page &...

changing the way Excel displays selected cells
Is there a way to change the way Excel displays selected cells? I'm interested in viewing all the selected cells highlighted (with light blue for instance), but by default excel highlights all the cells but not the first one the same occurs when you define a range with no adyacents cells Your definition of the display is not quite correct. Excel highlights the current cell, Excel also highlights a selecte range. The currently selected cell is generally the first of a range, bu press enter and the current cell changes and becomes the second, the third etc in the range. You cannot...

more on VBA function name change
I thought I'd start a new thread since I haven't received any replies to my first one... To recap: I've declared a function in a module using mixed case: Function TMDE_Category (FormName As Form) I noticed recently that it appeared in the module as Function tmde_category(FormName As Form) I changed it back to the mixed case declaration, saved the module, exited the app, reopened it and looked. The function had changed back to the all lowercase declaration. Things I've tried since the original post: Using the databse documenter, I selected all ob...

Can't Publish changes with Deploy Manager
After a migration process, I can't publish the changes made on CRM. When I try do this in Deploy Manager I get the follow error: ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----- Publish done with errors. See the event log to get deitails NETRA-INOVACAO: ***Error*** Failed to download XSL template files from Web Server ---------------------------------------------------------------------------- ----- Can somebody help me? I don't know if the migration process have any relationship with the error. Thank you for pay attention. []'s Vin´┐Żcius Pitta...

How to change icon for my application
Hi, I am currently developing an application on visual studio 6.0, and i wish to change the MFC icon on my application header. Anyone can help? Thank you. Raed Sawalha wrote: > Hi, I am currently developing an application on visual studio 6.0, and i > wish to change the MFC icon on my application header. Anyone can help? Thank > you. > > Open the icon resource for editing by double clicking. Then notice the control just above the editing grid that lets you switch between editing the large icon and editing the small one. -- Scott McPhillips [VC++ MVP] thanx that work...

How to change newsgroup message font
Like many other ribbon based programs I sometimes struggle to find how to make a change. This time its how to change the font just for newsgroup messages? regards "nobody" wrote in message news:EWTao.39493$GF5.7129@hurricane... > Like many other ribbon based programs I sometimes struggle to find how to make a change. This time its how to change the font just for newsgroup messages? Newsgroup messages are usually plain text. The font used is that selected at [no name tab] > Options > Mail > Read > Fonts for the encoding specified for the messag...

Hourly Report
Does anyone know how to set up the following report: Hourly sales, by day of week over a period of time. For example, I'd like to know what our sales are by hour on Saturdays from Jan-Mar (i.e. total sales on Saturdays from 10-11AM for the three month period). Hoping this will give us a better idea of whether or not our store hours should be adjusted. It's hard to look at them one day at a time on the Z reports. It would be much easier to analyze over a period of time. -- Kris Hi Kris, I am not sure which Kris you are, but this is Akber Alwani Yes I have done this report ...

Notify change of email address when changing ISP
How do I notify my entire address book of an email address when I change ISP's? Thanks By sending a mail to everyone ? If you do so, please use BCC for the adresses, this way you won't spread everybody's e-mail adres to everybody. Niels Bob Baker wrote: > How do I notify my entire address book of an email address when I change ISP's? > Thanks ...

Change a formula to an acual number
I want to change the formula I have created to the number it has created Example: Cell A1 is the number 1. Cell A2 is the formula =a1+1 creatin the number 2. I want this to be a two not a formula. Any ideas? Laura, copy, then paste special, valves -- Paul B Always backup your data before trying something new Please post any response to the newsgroups so others can benefit from it Feedback on answers is always appreciated! Using Excel 2000 & 97 ** remove news from my email address to reply by email ** "Laura" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news...

Problem Changing an Investment Name
I am trying to change an investment name and Money 2006 tells me "The name or symbol 'TRP Spectrum Income' has already been used for a deleted investment. Please enter a different name." When I go to delete investments the name does not appear! Any ideas on how I get Money to accept the name change? This is the first time I have run into this situation and I have made numerous name changes in Money over the years. In microsoft.public.money, Ken wrote: >I am trying to change an investment name and Money 2006 tells me "The name >or symbol 'TRP Spec...

Should I change this code?
Should I change 556 to 560???..............Thanks for your help..........Bob Private Sub Command560_Click() On Error GoTo Err_Command556_Click Dim stDocName As String Dim stLinkCriteria As String stDocName = "frmClientInfomation" DoCmd.OpenForm stDocName, , , stLinkCriteria Exit_Command556_Click: Exit Sub Err_Command556_Click: MsgBox Err.Description Resume Exit_Command556_Click End Sub On Sun, 15 Jul 2007 16:37:26 +1200, "Bob V" <rjvance@ihug.co.nz> wrote: > >Should I change 556 to 560???..............Thanks for your help.....

Prompted for password when running a report
Running CRm 3.0 on a single SBS 2003 box. Everything seems to work great except we get prompted for windows credentials when running a report. I verified the reports and reportserver website are using integrated authentication. The webserver is in the local intranet zone. Any ideas? Thanks Dave Dave, I'd first try adding the server as a 'trusted site' in IE, and under 'custom level' set User Authentication.Logon to "Automatic logon with current username and password". Hope that helps, Jeff Bennett CRM Practice Manager Solutions Consulting Group, Inc....

How to change default font in Outlook 2003
Can someone tell me how to change tthe default font in Outlook 2003 when composing a new email. It always comes up as Times New Roman. I remember somewhere that I specified that Outlook should use Word as the text editor and that seems to be the case. I have Arial as my default font in Word but this seems to make no difference when using Outlook. Hi, Please go to Tools > Setting > Mail Format > Stationery and Fonts > Fonts It's right there :) On 20 Nov 2005 06:28:45 -0800, amarsarit@gmail.com wrote: >Hi, >Please go to Tools > Setting > Mail Format > Statione...

icon changes with change of extension
when we change the extension of a file in windows, its icon also changes..... how does windows do tht. in my application i require a similar approach. i want the icon to be dependent on the file extension not on the attributes of the file. i have gone trough the registry but things are not very clear. Windows has listed all the file extensions avaliable there, but there is no general way to extract icons for those extension... kindly help icon changes with change of extension "Neelu" <nemesia31@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1161232739.720722.120950@b28g2000cwb.google...

Field Type Change
I am trying to change a free text field to a drop down menu in my current database, that already has data entered for this particular field, in order to avoid multiple versions of the same organization that are just typed in differently. I'm assuming that I'll need to recode the different versions of an entry to make them uniform but after that, I'm unsure how to proceed so I won't lose any data. Is this possible or will I need to delete the field, recreate it as a drop down and then re-enter the data? Thanks in advance! Mike Thanks everyone for all the input and advice s...

Z report data is from where?
Where in the database Z report gets its data such as: a. Discounts (total discounts for the day) b. Customer Count (I guess the same as # of transactions) c. Count of Tender Type Is it as simple as: a. discount=item.price - transactionentry.price b. Count([transaction].transactionnumber) (with a case statement [transaction].total =! 0 "sammm" wrote: > Where in the database Z report gets its data such as: > > a. Discounts (total discounts for the day) > b. Customer Count (I guess the same as # of transactions) > c. Count of Tender Type All of the Z report informa...

Tracking Changes
I am the author of a document and am making revisions to it. I want to chnage the redline color to denote new edits from the 1st version. Can anyone guide me through this process? I am sure it is easy but I cannot figure it out. THanks Peter On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 07:08:06 -0800, Peter SSI <Peter SSI@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I am the author of a document and am making revisions to it. I want to >chnage the redline color to denote new edits from the 1st version. Can >anyone guide me through this process? I am sure it is easy but I cannot >figure i...

Save Changes? #2
Sometimes, but not always, Excel asks if I want to save the current file, even though I've made no changes. Does anyone know why this occurs, and if there is a setting I can change to avoid the prompt unless actual changes are made? Thank you. Sprinks There are a number of functions that will update themselves when the workbook is opened, and this causes Excel to act as though the workbook has been changed. These functions include NOW() , TODAY(), ROW(), etc. See Volatile Functions in help for more info. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consult...

colour change of dated box
How can I change the colour of a dated box of excel after the date is over. I want the programme to read date automatically from pc and change colour. try Conditional Formatting In 2003: 1. Select the cells you want to format 2. Choose Format, Conditional Formatting 3. Choose Cell Value Is from the first drop down 3. Choose Formula is from the first drop down 4. Choose less than 5. In the third box, enter =TODAY() 6. Click the Format button 7. Choose a color on the Patterns tab (or any available option) 7. Click OK twice. -- Hope this is helpful Appreciate that you provide your feedbac...