Parameter Query Using Combo Box

  • Follow

There are no recorsd being returned when i run my parameter query.

SELECT TrackingID, DocumentNumber,DocumentType, RequestDate,DueDate,
ProgramID, AssignedTo, Author, StatusDate,Subject,Notes
FROM tblDocTracking
WHERE (((tblDocTracking.ProgramID)=[forms]![frmProgramSelect]![ProgramID]));

I have frmProgramSelect open.

I am not sure what i am doing wrong. Can you help?
0
Reply Utf 5/27/2010 8:05:33 PM

Be sure the control ProgramID is out of focus, to be sure that the value you
keyed in has been "updated".  If the control is not updated (committed),
its last committed value, probably a null, will be used by the query.

Vanderghast, Access MVP

"PleaseHelpMe" <PleaseHelpMe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> There are no recorsd being returned when i run my parameter query.
>
> SELECT TrackingID, DocumentNumber,DocumentType, RequestDate,DueDate,
> ProgramID, AssignedTo, Author, StatusDate,Subject,Notes
> FROM tblDocTracking
> WHERE
> (((tblDocTracking.ProgramID)=[forms]![frmProgramSelect]![ProgramID]));
>
> I have frmProgramSelect open.
>
> I am not sure what i am doing wrong. Can you help?

0
Reply vanderghast 5/27/2010 8:39:46 PM

Any chance that the ?combobox field in your expression ([ProgramID] doesn't
actually hold the ProgramID field?

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"PleaseHelpMe" <PleaseHelpMe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> There are no recorsd being returned when i run my parameter query.
>
> SELECT TrackingID, DocumentNumber,DocumentType, RequestDate,DueDate,
> ProgramID, AssignedTo, Author, StatusDate,Subject,Notes
> FROM tblDocTracking
> WHERE
> (((tblDocTracking.ProgramID)=[forms]![frmProgramSelect]![ProgramID]));
>
> I have frmProgramSelect open.
>
> I am not sure what i am doing wrong. Can you help?

0
Reply Jeff 5/27/2010 8:44:36 PM

Did you make a selection in the Combo before running the query?

If you want all records whereby you do not make a selection try using this --

SELECT TrackingID, DocumentNumber,DocumentType, RequestDate,DueDate,
ProgramID, AssignedTo, Author, StatusDate,Subject,Notes
FROM tblDocTracking
WHERE tblDocTracking.ProgramID Like
IIF([forms]![frmProgramSelect]![ProgramID] Is Null, "*",
[forms]![frmProgramSelect]![ProgramID]);

--
Build a little, test a little.

"PleaseHelpMe" wrote:

> There are no recorsd being returned when i run my parameter query.
>
> SELECT TrackingID, DocumentNumber,DocumentType, RequestDate,DueDate,
> ProgramID, AssignedTo, Author, StatusDate,Subject,Notes
> FROM tblDocTracking
> WHERE (((tblDocTracking.ProgramID)=[forms]![frmProgramSelect]![ProgramID]));
>
> I have frmProgramSelect open.
>
> I am not sure what i am doing wrong. Can you help?
0
Reply Utf 5/27/2010 10:35:01 PM

Another way (copied from John Spencer post) --
SELECT TrackingID, DocumentNumber,DocumentType, RequestDate,DueDate,
ProgramID, AssignedTo, Author, StatusDate,Subject,Notes
FROM tblDocTracking
WHERE tblDocTracking.ProgramID Like
Nz([forms]![frmProgramSelect]![ProgramID], "*");

--
Build a little, test a little.

"PleaseHelpMe" wrote:

> There are no recorsd being returned when i run my parameter query.
>
> SELECT TrackingID, DocumentNumber,DocumentType, RequestDate,DueDate,
> ProgramID, AssignedTo, Author, StatusDate,Subject,Notes
> FROM tblDocTracking
> WHERE (((tblDocTracking.ProgramID)=[forms]![frmProgramSelect]![ProgramID]));
>
> I have frmProgramSelect open.
>
> I am not sure what i am doing wrong. Can you help?
0
Reply Utf 5/27/2010 10:50:03 PM

I would like to point out that this works if ProgramID is never null.  Also
since you are using LIKE the assumption is that ProgramID is a text field,
although Access will automatically convert the value in the field to a string
in most cases.

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

KARL DEWEY wrote:
> Another way (copied from John Spencer post) --
> SELECT TrackingID, DocumentNumber,DocumentType, RequestDate,DueDate,
> ProgramID, AssignedTo, Author, StatusDate,Subject,Notes
> FROM tblDocTracking
> WHERE tblDocTracking.ProgramID Like
> Nz([forms]![frmProgramSelect]![ProgramID], "*");

0
Reply John 5/28/2010 3:37:04 PM

I am so embarassed! I didnt actually name the combo box ProgramID! I renamed
and my original coding worked.

Thanks all and sorry for wasting your time!

"Jeff Boyce" wrote:

> Any chance that the ?combobox field in your expression ([ProgramID] doesn't
> actually hold the ProgramID field?
>
> Regards
>
> Jeff Boyce
> Microsoft Access MVP
>
> --
> Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned
> in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein
> does not constitute endorsement thereof.

> guarantee as to suitability.

> possible/necessary.
>
> "PleaseHelpMe" <PleaseHelpMe@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > There are no recorsd being returned when i run my parameter query.
> >
> > SELECT TrackingID, DocumentNumber,DocumentType, RequestDate,DueDate,
> > ProgramID, AssignedTo, Author, StatusDate,Subject,Notes
> > FROM tblDocTracking
> > WHERE
> > (((tblDocTracking.ProgramID)=[forms]![frmProgramSelect]![ProgramID]));
> >
> > I have frmProgramSelect open.
> >
> > I am not sure what i am doing wrong. Can you help?
>

> .

0
Reply Utf 6/2/2010 10:09:38 PM

(page loaded in 0.333 seconds)