Not enough space on temporary disk

When running a query in an access database 2000 mode in Access 2003
SP2 the following error message is displayed when the status bar is
about half way.

Not enough space on temporary disk

I noticed the following on the pc, the access memory < 60mb (including
vm) and the cpu varies but in range 60-100%.
This query had worked 4 weeks ago when there was about 5% less data.

In the temp folder is a jet temp file of 2Gb, there is more disk space
available on the pc.

Is this a limitation with jet? How can this query be made to run?

0
Robin9876

Neither the db, neither its temporary data, can exceed 2G.

If you limit the rows of a join through a WHERE clause implying just one of
the two tables:

SELECT... FROM  a SOME JOIN b ON... WHERE a.someField=432

Write a query that limit the rows BEFORE the join:

SELECT * FORM a WHER a.someField=432

as saved query, qs1, then

SELECT ... FROM qs1 SOME JOIN b ON ...

The join will then generates less rows, so less temporary space will be
required.

Hoping it may help,
Vanderghast, Access MVP

"Robin9876" <robin9876@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> When running a query in an access database 2000 mode in Access 2003
> SP2 the following error message is displayed when the status bar is
> about half way.
>
> Not enough space on temporary disk
>
> I noticed the following on the pc, the access memory < 60mb (including
> vm) and the cpu varies but in range 60-100%.
> This query had worked 4 weeks ago when there was about 5% less data.
>
> In the temp folder is a jet temp file of 2Gb, there is more disk space
> available on the pc.
>
> Is this a limitation with jet? How can this query be made to run?

0
Michel
10/1/2007 6:10:13 PM
Since Access databases (Jet) are limited to 2 gigs, I would guess that your
problem is that you have run into this limit.

I don't know of solution to your problem unless you can breakdown your query
so that it handles smaller chunks of data.

--
John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007

"Robin9876" <robin9876@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> When running a query in an access database 2000 mode in Access 2003
> SP2 the following error message is displayed when the status bar is
> about half way.
>
> Not enough space on temporary disk
>
> I noticed the following on the pc, the access memory < 60mb (including
> vm) and the cpu varies but in range 60-100%.
> This query had worked 4 weeks ago when there was about 5% less data.
>
> In the temp folder is a jet temp file of 2Gb, there is more disk space
> available on the pc.
>
> Is this a limitation with jet? How can this query be made to run?

0
John
10/1/2007 6:31:47 PM
Is there any KB articles about this limit?

I was able to resolve the problem by modifying what columns where
returned by the existing sub query.

On 1 Oct, 19:31, "John Spencer" <spen...@chpdm.edu> wrote:
> Since Access databases (Jet) are limited to 2 gigs, I would guess that your
> problem is that you have run into this limit.
>
> I don't know of solution to your problem unless you can breakdown your query
> so that it handles smaller chunks of data.
>
> --
> John Spencer
> Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007
> Center for Health Program Development and Management
> University of Maryland Baltimore County
> .
>
> "Robin9876" <robin9...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > When running a query in an access database 2000 mode in Access 2003
> > SP2 the following error message is displayed when the status bar is
> > about half way.
>
> > Not enough space on temporary disk
>
> > I noticed the following on the pc, the access memory < 60mb (including
> > vm) and the cpu varies but in range 60-100%.
> > This query had worked 4 weeks ago when there was about 5% less data.
>
> > In the temp folder is a jet temp file of 2Gb, there is more disk space
> > available on the pc.
>
> > Is this a limitation with jet? How can this query be made to run?

0
Robin9876
10/2/2007 10:27:43 AM
There may be articles about the 2 gig limit.  I don't know of them.

The limit on the size of a database is documented in help - keyword
specifications

--

> Is there any KB articles about this limit?
>
> I was able to resolve the problem by modifying what columns where
> returned by the existing sub query.

0
John
10/2/2007 11:46:34 AM
I have found them on the office online section of the microsoft web
site.

Access 2003
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access/HP051868081033.aspx

Access 2007
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access/HA100307391033.aspx

On 2 Oct, 12:46, "John Spencer" <spen...@chpdm.edu> wrote:
> There may be articles about the 2 gig limit.  I don't know of them.
>
> The limit on the size of a database is documented in help - keyword
> specifications
>
> --
> John Spencer
> Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007
> Center for Health Program Development and Management
> University of Maryland Baltimore County
> .
>
> "Robin9876" <robin9...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > Is there any KB articles about this limit?
>
> > I was able to resolve the problem by modifying what columns where
> > returned by the existing sub query.

0
Robin9876

Enough. Where is the policy?
Okay, Who the heck is in charge on these groups? Someone totally hidden and entirely unaccountable..? What's the posting policy and where the heck is some honesty about how these groups are moderated..? Where is the FAQ..? (or FAQs..?) Yes, I've had it. I'm upset that 1 or 2 critical posts I made didn't get posted. So, you can contact me at: ==================================================== Scott Davis, 45 Dunfield Av, Unit 2117 Self-Employed Toronto, ON, Canada, M4S 2H4 Tech Consultant Mobile. (416) 432-4334 The IP addrs I use to post all UseNet: 66.207.21...

Not enough memory?
I am trying to send a 172MB attachment, but get the message "Not enough memory"? I have 4 GB RAM installed, with a net of 2.87 GB available with nothing running and 735GB avilable on my hard drive. Why am I getting this message? Is there a size limitation in Windows Mail? -- McM I don't know of any server that would allow a 172MB message. Even if they did, you'd probably end up with a really teed-off recipient when they tried to download it. Use an upload site. Here are a couple, but you can Google for more. Upload large files. An alternative to e-mail....

space then date causes error
On my spreadsheet they have to type in a date and other calculations are taken from this point. Of the hundreds that have used it there have been no problems, however as always there will always be one....... When they fill in the date they type a space and then type the date, this throws up errors in the other calculations. Not altogether important but is there an easy fix for this, so that if anyone types a space it is ignored, I dont want to get involved in VBA/macro stuff. Right click the sheet tab>view code>insert this>modify range to suit Private Sub Worksheet_Change(By...

not enough memory when sorting email
I continue to get an error message saying I don't have enough memory for my e-mail rules used for sorting my e- mail into their proper boxes. CAn you please increase it? Can it be solved? ...

Add space after each numbered or bulleted item
I need to make rather long lists of paragraphs that are several lines long. The numbered list feature forces a new number and a new line upon hitting enter. this is expected behavior. However, I need a space between the items to make each item stand out. In Word if I hit enter again, a new number is issued as expected. However if I arrow up to the first empty space and hit the backspace, the number will be removed, the following number will be changed to next sequential number and the empty line remain. Publisher, however insists on starting a new number sequence. Is there any way to c...

Line Spacing in Word 2003
I have just set up a new computer for an employee (Windows XP Pro, Office 2003) and the line spacing in Word is displaying as double line spacing, even though the paragraph settings are set to single line. I did the Save My Settings Wizard for Office (the previous PC had XP and Office 2003) so all settings should be the same. Any other user who opens the same document sees it as normal. All the format settings are exactly the same as other PC's (font, paragraph, page setup, columns, tabs etc) All her documents are out of whack because of this. Does anyone have any id...

Temporary files??
We have some Excel workbooks stored on the server that the whole department can gain access to. Occassionally, we open the workbook, make changes to it but when you click onto Save, it says you can only save it as a temporary file. It doesn't happen all the time and may only be twice a week but has anybody got any idea as to what the problem is? Thanks. Sometimes virus software causes this problem, although it typically occurs much more frequently when it is the cause. When Excel saves a file over an existing file it first saves it using a temporary random name. If the save is s...

Signature line spacing
I keep on trying to import a nice signature from word onto outlook express detailing my company and a logo but it keeps on inserting double line spacing in the text making it too big! How can I change this line spacing? Try posting in an Outlook Express group - this group supports Outlook from Microsoft Office. Outlook Express is a part of Internet Explorer. You can also try this page for some excellent troubleshooting tips: http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus n...

Trailing Spaces in Merged Cells
Hi, I have a large spreadsheet with data in merged cells. When I look in Excel, the trailing spaces doesn't appear and when I copied the data onto Notepad, the spaces are shown. I have tried TRIM (works for single cells not merged cells). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Hi Meng, Try the following macro: Sub TrimRange() Dim SBar As Boolean, Cell As Range, CellCount As Long, I As Long SBar = Application.DisplayStatusBar Application.DisplayStatusBar = True Application.ScreenUpdating = False Application.Calculation = xlManual On Error Resume Next I = 0 If Select...

not enough resources
Hi there Hope someone can help. I am running excel 2002, and just recently been getting messages when trying to save work. Its all ok for about an hour then it locks up when I try to save, when I have 2 or 3 workbooks open. It says not enough resources close some other running programs. I am not running any others at the time. after many trys it finally says disk full. I am running xp home, service pack 2. I have plenty of disk space about 10gb so that's not the problem. any help would be appreciated. Also when I now start up excel a blank workbook appears this never used to. Also when I o...

Preventing TextToColumns Trimming Leading Spaces
Hi, I am trying to programatically use TextToColumns via VB 6. I would like to use TextToColumns, however, when I split it trims trailing spaces. Can I turn this off somehow? Thanks in advance, Stephen --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi Stephen, If you edit your data beforehand you could change " " to "~" --- HTH, David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP - Excel [site changed Nov. 2001] My Excel Pages: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/excel.htm Search Page: http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/search.htm "Stephen2 >" &...

The normalize-space
Hi all I'm trying to get a value from an xml node 'Publisher' use the value as a name of an .css class. This works fine until I get a value from the Publisher node with white space in it. I've been trying to use normalize-space function on this but I can't make this work here is what I'm trying to do <xsl:attribute name="class">color<xsl:value-of select="normalize-space(Publisher)"/></xsl:attribute> Can anyone help me, I've spent to much time on this already.. Thanks K. normalize-space doesn't remove spaces, just trim...

Strange error in Disk Management
I have an IDE to USB dongle that works fine with all my spare disks save one. When I try to get it to install I get the "USB device installed correctly" tone but nothing shows up in the Computer panel. I then go to Computer Management and check on the disk. It is showing with a tiny red mark of some kind (very hard for my eyes to see) and the word "unknown" under Disk1. In addition, 'not initialized' is under the unknown notification. Right click on the disk and choose Initialize Disk. The pop up shows Disk 1 as checked and the radio button for...

I'-m g5etting5 spaces and numbers in my words indiscriminately.
Wh6en I type on my laptop numbers indiscriminately come up in my words like th6e in th6e words of th6is sentence. It sounds like either you're inadvertently pressing a number shift key, or your keyboard is going bad. Do you have an external USB keyboard you can connect to the laptop? If so, does the problem occur when using it, as well? (I'm assuming that the problem hasn't always occurred, and has recently begun, and that you've rebooted since the problem began.) -- Herb Tyson MS MVP Author of the Word Bible Blog: http://word.herbtyson.com Web: http://www....

Not enough memory to load graphics
Hi there, I've got a problem with Microsoft Publisher 2000. Whenever I try and paste a bitmap, it brings up the message that "publisher doesnt have enough memory to load graphics or embedded objects". Now, this doesnt happen on my 4 years old computer, it happens on my brand new computer - it has 2.8GHZ, 512MB RAM, 20GB Hard Drive. Why? After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Omar <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>... > I've got a problem with Microsoft Publisher 2000. Whenever > I try and paste a bitmap, it brings up...

message handlers for hard disk??
Hi, My MFC application intermittently receives data file via the Ethernet and merely displays the data. It does not receive any notification from a user. It must know that a new file was written on disk. I wonder if there's a message handler for the hard disk as for the mouse and keyboard. If not, what do you suggest? Thank you. Take a look at the following API's FindFirstChangeNotification() FindNextChangeNotification() FindCloseChangeNotification() ReadDirectoryChangesW() -- Cheers Check Abdoul [ VC++ MVP ] ----------------------------------- ...

Do you have enough setup information?
Because everyone's business is different, the Great Plains program is highly customizable; you have a lot of configuration options. Does the Great Plains Help documentation provide you with enough information to know how to set up the program before you enter your first transaction? You can reply to this message, or click the link below to type your comments on the Microsoft® Business Solutions–Great Plains® User Assistance Team documentation survey site. http://weblogs.asp.net/bizdoc/archive/2004/11/12/256684.aspx -Ryan -- This posting is provided "AS IS" wi...

shareDenyWrite is not enough
I want to prevent writing to a file but allow several processes to read it simultaneously. The flag shareDenyWrite does the first but not the second and I'm forced to use shareDenyNone (which works). Any thoughts? "Alexander" <the44secs@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:6c435000-7beb-4b49-96c5-c0db4423f89a@u6g2000prc.googlegroups.com... >I want to prevent writing to a file but allow several processes to > read it simultaneously. The flag shareDenyWrite does the first but not > the second and I'm forced to use shareDenyNone (which works). > shareDenyWrite...

there isn't enough free memory to refresh the display
I'm working with a table of over 1 million records. After running a query I try open it in design view I get the above message. Any suggestions how to get rid of this On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 16:29:01 -0800, Siegfried <Siegfried@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: Run it on a machine with more memory, or perhaps switch to a server database like SQL Server. Are you talking about a select query or an action query? -Tom. Microsoft Access MVP >I'm working with a table of over 1 million records. After running a query I >try open it in design view I get the abo...

Mail Merge, space issue
I am using Mail Merge quote entity. There is a text area field in item with something like following value “abc def”. After mail merge, in the new document, this value becomes “abc def”. All spaces are replaced with one space. Any clue why? And how can I change this behavior? ...

Re: "The Disk is full trying to write to c:\..."
Donald C. Calarco wrote: > Message-ID: <f3db3f4349954abe9c28ebf77d89e1e2@newspe.com> > X-Mailer: http://www.umailcampaign.com, ip log:76.16.119.53 > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.publisher > NNTP-Posting-Host: 22.bb.5446.static.theplanet.com 70.84.187.34 > Path: TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl!newspe.com > Lines: 1 > Xref: TK2MSFTNGP01.phx.gbl microsoft.public.publisher:178074 > > What a ridiculous answwer. JoAnn, the problem is that the file > "won't" save. The problem is not that it wont "open", which is all > you focu...

remove space BE 039 to BE039
How can I remove the space in BE 039 to make it BE039? Have you tried Edit>Replace? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 10:49:02 -0700, Bobby Sullivan <Bobby Sullivan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >How can I remove the space in BE 039 to make it BE039? How about =SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","") -- Russell Dawson Excel Student Please hit "Yes" if this post was helpful. "Bobby Sullivan" wrote: > How can I remove the space in BE 039 to make it BE039? ...

deleting empty spaces
Hi, I have the following problem: I have filtered my worksheet for dubble values and now I have all these empty cells. For quick lookup I do not want that so how can I delete all these empty cell and write my unique values under each other? Thanks Michiel -- vrijbergen ------------------------------------------------------------------------ vrijbergen's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27757 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=472802 Hi Michiel, Not sure what you mean. If you have column headers and blank cel...

Are you GOOD ENOUGH for Heaven ??
Are you GOOD ENOUGH for Heaven ?? Click here to read more.... http://emailministry.webs.com/areyougoodenoughforheav.htm Thanks ...

Two spaces btw sentences
New APA formatting require two spaces between sentences. How can I preset the word document to accomplish this automatically? Without getting into the "two spaces" = "old, typewriter days, should not do" conversation. Under Tools, Options, Spelling & Grammar, Settings button, you can select who many spaces you want between sentences. This will not "automatically" create the spacing but it will highlight (with green squiggle) any sentence gaps that are not what you set this number as, and it will give the right-click option to change to you requi...