Not enough space on temporary disk

  • Follow

When running a query in an access database 2000 mode in Access 2003
SP2 the following error message is displayed when the status bar is
about half way.

Not enough space on temporary disk

I noticed the following on the pc, the access memory < 60mb (including
vm) and the cpu varies but in range 60-100%.
This query had worked 4 weeks ago when there was about 5% less data.

In the temp folder is a jet temp file of 2Gb, there is more disk space
available on the pc.

Is this a limitation with jet? How can this query be made to run?

0
Reply Robin9876 10/1/2007 3:49:59 PM

Neither the db, neither its temporary data, can exceed 2G.

If you limit the rows of a join through a WHERE clause implying just one of
the two tables:

SELECT... FROM  a SOME JOIN b ON... WHERE a.someField=432

Write a query that limit the rows BEFORE the join:

SELECT * FORM a WHER a.someField=432

as saved query, qs1, then

SELECT ... FROM qs1 SOME JOIN b ON ...

The join will then generates less rows, so less temporary space will be
required.

Hoping it may help,
Vanderghast, Access MVP

"Robin9876" <robin9876@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> When running a query in an access database 2000 mode in Access 2003
> SP2 the following error message is displayed when the status bar is
> about half way.
>
> Not enough space on temporary disk
>
> I noticed the following on the pc, the access memory < 60mb (including
> vm) and the cpu varies but in range 60-100%.
> This query had worked 4 weeks ago when there was about 5% less data.
>
> In the temp folder is a jet temp file of 2Gb, there is more disk space
> available on the pc.
>
> Is this a limitation with jet? How can this query be made to run?

0
Reply Michel 10/1/2007 6:10:13 PM

Since Access databases (Jet) are limited to 2 gigs, I would guess that your
problem is that you have run into this limit.

I don't know of solution to your problem unless you can breakdown your query
so that it handles smaller chunks of data.

--
John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007

"Robin9876" <robin9876@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> When running a query in an access database 2000 mode in Access 2003
> SP2 the following error message is displayed when the status bar is
> about half way.
>
> Not enough space on temporary disk
>
> I noticed the following on the pc, the access memory < 60mb (including
> vm) and the cpu varies but in range 60-100%.
> This query had worked 4 weeks ago when there was about 5% less data.
>
> In the temp folder is a jet temp file of 2Gb, there is more disk space
> available on the pc.
>
> Is this a limitation with jet? How can this query be made to run?

0
Reply John 10/1/2007 6:31:47 PM

Is there any KB articles about this limit?

I was able to resolve the problem by modifying what columns where
returned by the existing sub query.

On 1 Oct, 19:31, "John Spencer" <spen...@chpdm.edu> wrote:
> Since Access databases (Jet) are limited to 2 gigs, I would guess that your
> problem is that you have run into this limit.
>
> I don't know of solution to your problem unless you can breakdown your query
> so that it handles smaller chunks of data.
>
> --
> John Spencer
> Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007
> Center for Health Program Development and Management
> University of Maryland Baltimore County
> .
>
> "Robin9876" <robin9...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > When running a query in an access database 2000 mode in Access 2003
> > SP2 the following error message is displayed when the status bar is
> > about half way.
>
> > Not enough space on temporary disk
>
> > I noticed the following on the pc, the access memory < 60mb (including
> > vm) and the cpu varies but in range 60-100%.
> > This query had worked 4 weeks ago when there was about 5% less data.
>
> > In the temp folder is a jet temp file of 2Gb, there is more disk space
> > available on the pc.
>
> > Is this a limitation with jet? How can this query be made to run?

0
Reply Robin9876 10/2/2007 10:27:43 AM

There may be articles about the 2 gig limit.  I don't know of them.

The limit on the size of a database is documented in help - keyword
specifications

--

> Is there any KB articles about this limit?
>
> I was able to resolve the problem by modifying what columns where
> returned by the existing sub query.

0
Reply John 10/2/2007 11:46:34 AM

I have found them on the office online section of the microsoft web
site.

Access 2003
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access/HP051868081033.aspx

Access 2007
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access/HA100307391033.aspx

On 2 Oct, 12:46, "John Spencer" <spen...@chpdm.edu> wrote:
> There may be articles about the 2 gig limit.  I don't know of them.
>
> The limit on the size of a database is documented in help - keyword
> specifications
>
> --
> John Spencer
> Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007
> Center for Health Program Development and Management
> University of Maryland Baltimore County
> .
>
> "Robin9876" <robin9...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> > Is there any KB articles about this limit?
>
> > I was able to resolve the problem by modifying what columns where
> > returned by the existing sub query.

0
Reply Robin9876 10/2/2007 12:30:26 PM

(page loaded in 0.119 seconds)