INSERT INTO error: "...contains the following unknown field name..

  • Follow

I'm having trouble with a multiple INSERT statement:

INSERT INTO [Course Completion] (
[Course Completion].EID,
[Course Completion].Course,
[Course Completion].[Date Completed],
[Course Completion].[Retrain Date]
)
SELECT
[Set Imported EID].EID,
[Set Imported EID].[Course],
[Set Imported EID].[Date Completed],
[Set Imported EID].[Retrain Date]
FROM [Set Imported EID];

When I try to run it, it returns the following error:
"The INSERT INTO statement contains the following unknown field name:
'Course Completion.EID'. Make sure you have typed the name correctly and try
the operation again."

"Set Imported EID" is a query, that runs correctly, and "Course Completion"
is a table that definitely contains the column, "EID."  I don't get it. This
is my first time using a multiple INSERT statement, so maybe I'm messing up
the syntax somewhere, but if I am, I don't see how.  It does the same thing
if I use a single INSERT, with explicit values.  I've checked the spelling
half a dozen times, and had a co-worker go over it as well.

Any help here would be hot.

Thanks,
Brad
0
Reply Utf 2/15/2008 5:50:01 PM

Hi -

Did you try creating an append query to see if that works?  You could then
paste the resulting SQL into your code.

John

--
John Goddard
Ottawa, ON Canada

Reply J_Goddard 2/15/2008 6:24:16 PM

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 09:50:01 -0800, Brad Granath
<BradGranath@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

>I'm having trouble with a multiple INSERT statement:
>
>INSERT INTO [Course Completion] (
>[Course Completion].EID,
>[Course Completion].Course,
>[Course Completion].[Date Completed],
>[Course Completion].[Retrain Date]
>)
>SELECT
>[Set Imported EID].EID,
>[Set Imported EID].[Course],
>[Set Imported EID].[Date Completed],
>[Set Imported EID].[Retrain Date]
>FROM [Set Imported EID];
>
>When I try to run it, it returns the following error:
>"The INSERT INTO statement contains the following unknown field name:
>'Course Completion.EID'. Make sure you have typed the name correctly and try
>the operation again."

Try just leaving off the tablename in the insertion fields:

INSERT INTO [Course Completion] (EID,Course,[Date Completed],[Retrain Date])
SELECT ...

The table name certainly isn't *needed* - you can only insert into fields in
the target table anyway.
--
             John W. Vinson [MVP]
0

Thanks.

I guess it didn't like the fact that I was specifying the columns like:

INSERT INTO tablename (tablename.columnname, tab...

Instead it wanted:

INSERT INTO tablename (columnname, col...
0
Reply Utf 2/15/2008 6:49:01 PM

Yep, that did it.  Thanks for the help, guys.
0
Reply Utf 2/15/2008 7:13:01 PM

(page loaded in 0.041 seconds)

Reply: