Format query column as number

I am trying to use a >6 in my query criteria but it is not working.  I
suspect the problem is values in the column are not numbers.  This query
comes from another query where values are extracted from a string. Is there
a way to format the column of a query to a "NUMBER"?

If the field is named Field1, try:

The Val() gives the numeric value of a string. It can't cope with Null, so
we convert the nulls to a string zero first.

Tips for Access users -

"Jeff Klein" <jklein@nospam> wrote in message
>I am trying to use a >6 in my query criteria but it is not working.  I
>suspect the problem is values in the column are not numbers.  This query
>comes from another query where values are extracted from a string. Is there
>a way to format the column of a query to a "NUMBER"?

7/23/2007 2:41:01 PM
Jeff Klein wrote:

>I am trying to use a >6 in my query criteria but it is not working.  I
>suspect the problem is values in the column are not numbers.  This query
>comes from another query where values are extracted from a string. Is there
>a way to format the column of a query to a "NUMBER"?

Use a conversion function such as Val, CLng, etc. to make
the field a number:

Expr1:  CLng(somefield)

MVP [MS Access]

Union Query 02-15-08
I am trying to query 5 .mdb files which have their own tables, queries, reports. Each DB table covers a product such as snack food, soda, water, milk, ice cream based on customer purchases. There are obviously duplicate customers in each table. All customers have a unique ID such as DFW123, FTW123, HOU457 etc. This ID does appear in all 5 database tables since they may buy all products. I need to get a query to provide this for each : CustomerID, StoreName, Address, City, Zip, Snack Food, Soda, Water, Milk, IC (the above would be the columns) CustomerID, StoreName, Address, City, Z...

Change date format to European format

Freezing rows & columns
I have formatted my sheet perfectly, but when I freeze the appropriat section excel inserts a big line (to show whats frozen) thus disruptin my formatting. Is anyone aware of a means of freezing WITHOUT the line? CHEER ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from ~~View and post usenet messages directly from ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creating financial statements You can't hide the "freeze" line. -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson So...

negative number format

Formatting just some rows

freezing formatting
I would like to be able to "freeze" the formatting for the number of decimal places in cells - some will need to be integers, some will need three decimal places, etc. The problem comes when I paste in information; the number of decimal places I have formatted the cell for is overridden by the pasted-in data. Any ideas? On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 13:31:05 -0700, "H" <> wrote: >I would like to be able to "freeze" the formatting for the number of decimal places in cells - some will need to be integers, some will need three de...

how to compare column?
How do I compare colume column A column B column C 22 33 B 22 14 12 3 27 45 B 55 40 How to compare column A with column B, then if B is greater than A, indicate B in column C? Thank you. Put this in C1: =3DIF(B1>A1,"B","") and copy down as required. Hope this helps. Pete On Jan 18, 12:33=A0am, "Able Cox" <> wrote: > How do I compare colume > > column A =A0 =A0column B =A0 =A0column C > 22 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A033 =A0 =A0 =A0 =A0 =...

Outlook express columns
Hi In outlook express I've created a sub folder in the Sent Items folders but it shows the column format used by the Inbox folder. If I change the columns it changes the columns for all folders exept Sent Items. How do I set different folders to show different columns ? Thanks Ask in an Outlook Express forum. This is an Microsoft Office Outlook forum. Outlook Express is family of Internet Explorer and Outlook of the Office family. Here is the link for the right forum Good Luck! -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Out...

Negative number formatting
Hi everyone, does anyone know how to do this? I hve a column of figures some positive and some negative. I want to format them so taht th negative numbers are expressed in (brackets) and also so that th column itself is decimal aligned, so even if I don't use decimal place the brackets "stick out". I know Word does this in tables, but I can' seem to make Excel do it. Help! Thanks, Vicky. :confused -- VickyJone ----------------------------------------------------------------------- VickyJones's Profile: ...

Enforce format
How can I "enforce" a format in a cell in excel so that it allows number entry only, i.e. it does not allow letters or any other characters. Thanks in advance. Keith Data Validation; custom formula; If active cell is A1, use this: =NOT(ISERROR(1*A1)) "Elfey1001" <> wrote in message > How can I "enforce" a format in a cell in excel so that it allows number > entry only, i.e. it does not allow letters or any other characters. > Thanks in advance. > Kei...

Format Smartlist field
Is it possible to format a smartlist field? Let's say from 2 decimals to 4 decimals? -- SmokyDuck This is only possible in SmartList Builder SmartLists, not in the 'out of the box' SmartLists. In SmartList Builder, you can click on the Display Name of a field, then click the blue arrow in the header to go to Set Field Options. For number fields there will be a tab called Decimal Places. -- Victoria Yudin Dynamics GP MVP Flexible Solutions, Inc. "Smokyduck" <> wrote in message news:98223149-4092-484D-886D-F03A319319E...

Conditional Formating Help
Hi I wonder if anyone could help me, I am after code for the following. cell e6 = Keys Sent Column f6 = Keys due Column g6 = Keys received What I want the script to do is if there is no value in g6 and todays date is greater then the date stated in F6, then the cell turns red (prompt to inform me that keys are late). Many thanks Dan Use a CF formula of =AND(G6="",TODAY()>F6) HTH Bob "housinglad" <> wrote in message > Hi > ...

Select Case Conditional Formatting Sub?

Date calculation in a Query
I have this expression in a form and it works perfect DateAdd("d",63-Weekday(FirstContact,7),FirstContact) But, where should I write it in a query? The query should show all the items that shoul be removed from the list on the calculated date, and update the "removed from the list" the field from there. Thanks Ioia Add the expression as a calculated field in the query Field: Removal: DateAdd("d",63-Weekday(FirstContact,7),FirstContact) Criteria: = #2009-11-27# Then you can apply criteria against the calculated field. Another option would be...

User Defined Query Function Not Working with Multiple Criteria
Using Access 2007 I created a user defined function used in a query that works fine on single criteria but not two or more. These work fine: MyFunction="Open" MyFunction="Closed These don't work: MyFunction="Open Or Closed" MyFunction="'Open' Or 'Closed'" What do I need to type to get this to work? Unless you let us know something specific about the function itself, it's going to be difficult to diagnose why it isn't working. Consider posting the function ... (and wouldn't the function spell out how many...

How to format the value in a cell?
Hello! I wonder if excel has the function to format a value in cell without the help of Macro. To format a value,here I mean to correct the value automatically. For example,it need the value in a cell to be "T".But a user may enter " T","T ","t".The formatting function used here to trim the space at the begining or end of "T",or change the "t" to upper case. -------------------- An Try =TRIM(UPPER(A1)) -- Regards Roger Govier "An" <> wrote in message

I have a large database of company contacts that is formatted/entered as follows: ABC Company, Inc. John Doe 123 Main Street NE Des Moines, IA 52000 Phone: 123-456-7890 Fax: 098-765-4321 Each line is in it's own cell, but I need it in column format such as follows: Company Name - First Name - Last Name - Address1 - Address2 - City - State - Zip - Phone - Fax - Email Any direction as to how I can easily do this? I'm using either 2003 or 2007 and have over 7,000 entries like this. PLEASE HELP as I don't want to spend hours into days try...

Remove formatting from SSN
I exported some data from an Access database. The Social Security Numbers are in this format: 123-45-6789. I would like to change them all to 123456789. I've tried creating a Custom Format and formatting the cells, but nothing changed. Tried setting the format of a new column, then cutting and pasting or Paste Special into the new cells, but it keeps the old formatting. Is there an answer? Try this in a "helper" column: =TEXT(A1,"000000000") To retain your leading zeroes. -- HTH, RD ============================================== Please keep all corres...

How to reverse order of rows and columns
September 10, 2005 Hello, all, I've made a big boo-boo in an Excel 2000 spreadsheet, and I can't figure out how to fix it. Can you help? I've created a table with 28 rows and 28 columns, and I've painstakingly typed data into many of the resulting 784 cells. Only now do I realize that the order of the columns is reversed, i.e., what was ABCD needs to be DCBA. Same with the 28 rows, which have slightly different names. You can see the table as it is now by opening or downloading it from As you can see, the columns run from N...

Formatting numbers
Pub2002/XP - how to format numbers in a table - I want it to automatically space for thousands etc and align the numbers correctly ie. 1 650 243 500 etc You will have to do it manually, or copy and paste it from a spreadsheet. -- See if Courier font will do it. Most other fonts do proportional spacing i.e. the letter m is wider than an l. In Courier (maybe teletype, typewriter and a few other fonts) use the same width of space and thus will line up columns from row to row. -- Don Vancouver, USA, a great city in one of the 45+ countries in America! "simonh" <si...

Sheets lose formats
I have a file that I created by upgrading from Excel 2003. In 2007 the file saves fine. I had a user complain he didn't have Excel 2007 so I saved as a ..xls file and now everytime I reopen the file all my formating on every sheet is gone. If I reapply the formatting and then save as a .xlsm file, all the formatting stays in the file. Ideas? ...