Converting a null value to a predetermined text value

I have a query where some results may be null.  In this case, is it possible
to set a criteria to allow the query to return a result for a null value to
equal some text value?

For example:  If null then = "Unreviewed"

Thanks
Jim

Something like this in a query should work.

ReviewStatus: NZ([TheField],"Unreviewed")
--
Jerry Whittle, Microsoft Access MVP

"Jimball" wrote:

> I have a query where some results may be null.  In this case, is it possible
> to set a criteria to allow the query to return a result for a null value to
> equal some text value?
>
> For example:  If null then = "Unreviewed"
>
> Thanks
> Jim
Jim,

Yes.  The NZ( ) function will convert a NULL value to some predetermined (or
dynamically determined value.

SELECT Field1, Field2, NZ(Field3, "Default Value") as Field3a
FROM yourTable

HTH
Dale
--
Don''t forget to rate the post if it was helpful!

email address is invalid
Please reply to newsgroup only.

"Jimball" wrote:

> I have a query where some results may be null.  In this case, is it possible
> to set a criteria to allow the query to return a result for a null value to
> equal some text value?
>
> For example:  If null then = "Unreviewed"
>
> Thanks
> Jim
Jimball:

Had a similar issue a few days ago and Conan (MS) and I had a discussion
going back and forth.  Please see 2/21 "populating null value" from
Kristibaer.  There are a few ideas there that all worked but I actually came
up with one that even the pro said "well that shouldn't work, but if it does
and it isn't broke, don't fix it".

Good luck.

"Jimball" wrote:

> I have a query where some results may be null.  In this case, is it possible
> to set a criteria to allow the query to return a result for a null value to
> equal some text value?
>
> For example:  If null then = "Unreviewed"
>
> Thanks
> Jim

How to Convert UTC to localTIme(C# )

largest value of field in query output
I have a query that pulls all the records from a table. For example, the query outputs the following: TITLE REV POSITION DATE methodA / 0 / tech / july 5 methodA / 1 / tech / july 10 methodB / 0 / tech / july 5 methodB / 1 / tech / july 10 methodB / 2 / tech / july 12 methodC / 0 / tech / july 6 methodC / 1 / ...

Convert text to time value

how to convert date

Concatenating date field into text ands using in a formula
Hi all, Hope you can help. I have a date field (B1) and am trying to concatenate this into a directory path as part of a formula to pull data from another worksheet. IE My worksheets are named open"date of report".xls B1 contains "date of report" I have tried concatenating the worksheet name in a field and then using that field. I have tried cocatenating the directory path in a field and using that field. My last attempt at a formula is =SUM(IF('=concatenate("D:\CSA\Reporting\Open Jobs\[open"&TEXT(B1,"ddmmyy")&".xls]Customer")...

Cell Value vs Status Box Value
The cell value is not the same as the vlaue in the status box, e.g., status box shows 6147; cell value shows 64147 (format was with commas). Any suggestions/ideas? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ awarner1 <<awarner1.11hdg3@excelforum-nospam.com>> wrote in news:awarner1.11hdg3@excelforum-nospam.com: > The cell value is not the same as the vlaue in the status box, e.g., > status box shows 6147; cell value shows 64147 (format was with commas). > Any suggestions/ideas? What is the number format of the cell? -- My email address has an extra @ (spell ...

Excel: Auto converting text to numbers

1 Cell 2 Values?
Hello All, Is it possible in excel to have it return two values in one cell separated by a comma and spaces? For example I want it to count the number of times in a month the value was positive and the number of times a value was negative and in the cell I want it to show A1: +, - Is this possible? Thanks to all, Shhhh Shhhh wrote... >Is it possible in excel to have it return two values in one cell separated >by a comma and spaces? > >For example I want it to count the number of times in a month the value was >positive and the number of times a value was negative a...

diagonal text
HOW DO I MAKE MY TEXT GO IN A DIAGONAL WAY ACROSS THE PAGE On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 11:06:07 +0100, SCOTT wrote (in article <8844C60C-FD08-4FB5-B289-D530CAA285DA@microsoft.com>): > HOW DO I MAKE MY TEXT GO IN A DIAGONAL WAY ACROSS THE PAGE Lose the caps. It's considered yelling, is incredibly rude and makes your posts very hard to read. Please explain what it is you're attempting to accomplish and your Publisher version. By the way, questions end with question marks (?). What version of Publisher are you using? In 2000, arrange, rotate or flip, custom rotate, input your n...

Can I use the value of a field as predeterminate value of another.
I am making a table to know who is working in each surgery in a heath center. For each day, I have a field "owner" (of the surgery) and another "working" (the one that really works that day there). But the majority of the days, the "owner" is who works in his surgery, so I want to establish the value of "owner" as predeterminate value of "working" . Is it possible? Thank you Not directly in the tables. You could do this in a form by making the value of one text box the default value of another text box. -- --Roger Carlson MS Access M...

Convert Access97 to 2000

Add help text to a form field?
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) I'd like to give people instructions about how to fill in form fields in the form itself. I tried &quot;adding help text,&quot; but nothing shows up in the form field. Is what I am trying to do possible, and, if so, what am I doing wrong? What you're using appears in the Status Bar when the field is accessed. Unless people know to look there it does practically no good. IMHO it's more effective to include instructional text as default content for the field or provide explicit labeling in an adjacent table c...

change case of text #2
Some recent data was imported to an Excell worksheet that had a large amount of text in capital letters. Is there a way to change this data to "PROPER" throughout the entire worksheet? Thank you Gloria Anderson at Habitat for Humanity of Key West and the Lower Florida Keys =proper(range) will do the trick Mike "habikeys" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:017801c39f21$a016ece0$a501280a@phx.gbl... > Some recent data was imported to an Excell worksheet that > had a large amount of text in capital letters. Is there a > way to c...

Convert 2000 Calendar to web page

Getting an integer value (in one line) out of SelectSingleNode from an XMLDoc.
[C# code oriented] Two questions: (1) I can pull the text of an XML element as a string just fine using code as such: strSomeString = myXmlDoc.SelectSingleNode("/Element1/Element2/Element3[1]", myXmlNSMgr).InnerText; However, the text to be found there is an integer number. I have tried to use just about every casting and conversion method to be able to place that value into an integer variable. This includes code such as: intSomeInt = (int)(strSomeString = myXmlDoc.SelectSingleNode("/Element1/Element2/Element3[1]", myXmlNSMgr).InnerText); intSomeInt = Convert.ToInt...

Importing text from an Explorer window
Howdy all. OS: XP, Excel 2002 SP3 I have my music stored in the My Music directory. I have Artist, Album Title, etc. attributes turned on. What I'd like to do is to take all of this information and input it into an Excel spreadsheet. When I "Select All" from the window, and "Copy", it wants to copy the actual songs, and not the text. Also, the "Paste" option in Excel is grayed out anyway. Is there a way that I can treat the info in a Browser window as just text, and then copy that info into a spreadsheet? TIA. -- Don Cox Here is one I have used...

Change color of row (Col A thru Col Q) based on text value in Col J
I am using David McRitchie's code for changing color of entire row based on contents based on a specified cell text value: 'Target.EntireRow.Interior.ColorIndex = 36'. This works fine; however, I only want to change color in the first 17 cells in each of the affected rows. How do I do this? Also, I am confused: do I want the stmt 'Application.EnableEvents = True' at the top of my coding in the 'Worksheet_Change' event coding (occupies the Sheet1 Module)? One way: Target.EntireRow.resize(1,17).Interior.ColorIndex = 36 JingleRock wrote: > > I...

XML Note convert to DataSet

inserting current time absolute value
hey everyone I'm trying to create a formula that when something is entered in one cell the current time is stamped in another cell. So far here's what I came up in my C4 cell =IF(A4<>"", NOW()-TODAY(), "") When something is entered in cell A4, the current time enters in at cell C4. I copied the formula by using fill down, but when I enter in something in the next cell of A5, cell C5 and C4 gets updated with the same current time, when i enter the something in A6, cells C6, C5, C4 gets updated with the same time and ETC, ETC How would I use absolute valu...

Format a concantated text string
Sorry if this is boring but I'm stuck. I have a cell that counts something, it also has a piece of text at the front of the count but I want the count to be formatted as currency and it won't. ="Major "&COUNTIF(C:C,"Major")*245 I've tried ="Major "& Format(COUNTIF(C:C,"Major")*245****) but I can't get it right and think it's a VBA command! Help please! Thanks Dean -- dkso@ntlworld.com http://www.dkso.co.uk/ http://homepage.ntlworld.com/dkso Thank you! Dean "Bob Phillips" <bob.phillips@notheretisca...

Convert

Problem converting from Quicken to M2005