calculate headcount

I have a large dataset consisting of start- and endtimes of personel shifts.
I'd like to make a query that calculates the number of shifts per time period.

I used to perform this task in Excel using sumpruduct or array formulas quite
easily, but I can't figure out a way to to the same in Access.

Is it possible?

bertusavius

Post sample data with table and field names plus datatype.
--
Build a little, test a little.

"bertusavius via AccessMonster.com" wrote:

> I have a large dataset consisting of start- and endtimes of personel shifts.
> I'd like to make a query that calculates the number of shifts per time period.
>

> I used to perform this task in Excel using sumpruduct or array formulas quite
> easily, but I can't figure out a way to to the same in Access.
>
> Is it possible?

> .

One table, three columns:

id (autonr) , start time(time/date), end time(time/date)

The preferred ouput would be something like this:

time periode, nr of shifts

ie:
07:00-08:00, 5
08:00;09:00, 8
etc

bertusavius
1/26/2010 9:57:47 AM
I do not follow your logic.  A shift is only one hour long?

Are do you want all start to end time periods broken down into one hour
increments and then total that?

Post sample data and then example of what that data should produce.

--
Build a little, test a little.

"bertusavius via AccessMonster.com" wrote:

> One table, three columns:
>
> id (autonr) , start time(time/date), end time(time/date)
>
> The preferred ouput would be something like this:
>
> time periode, nr of shifts
>
> ie:
> 07:00-08:00, 5
> 08:00;09:00, 8
> etc

> .

table of shifts:

id, shiftstart, shiftend
1, 10:00, 19:00
2, 11:00, 20:00
3, 13:00, 15:00

desired query output

timeframe, nr of active shifts
1100-1200, 2
1200-1300, 2
1300-1400, 3

bertusavius
1/26/2010 5:34:41 PM
Based on your input data this is the results --
1100 - 1200	1200 - 1300	1300 - 1400
2	3	3
All 3 include 1300 as 13:00, 15:00 also encompasses 1300.

SELECT Sum(IIf([shiftstart]<=#12/30/1899 12:0:0# And [shiftend]>=#12/30/1899
11:0:0#,1,0)) AS [1100 - 1200], Sum(IIf([shiftstart]<=#12/30/1899 13:0:0# And
[shiftend]>=#12/30/1899#,1,0)) AS [1200 - 1300],
Sum(IIf([shiftstart]<=#12/30/1899 14:0:0# And [shiftend]>=#12/30/1899
13:0:0#,1,0)) AS [1300 - 1400]
FROM Shifts;

--
Build a little, test a little.

"bertusavius via AccessMonster.com" wrote:

> table of shifts:
>
> id, shiftstart, shiftend
> 1, 10:00, 19:00
> 2, 11:00, 20:00
> 3, 13:00, 15:00
>

> desired query output
>
> timeframe, nr of active shifts
> 1100-1200, 2
> 1200-1300, 2
> 1300-1400, 3

> .

That's spot on.

Of course you are right about the different results.

Many thanks!

bertusavius
1/26/2010 8:12:27 PM
I would like to add another dimension to this query:

my table table now has an added colulumn DATE:

id, shiftstart, shiftend, DATE
1, 10:00, 19:00, 1-1-2010
2, 11:00, 20:00, 1-1-2010
3, 13:00, 15:00, 2-1-2010

Karl Dewey's query result looks like this (without the extra column):

1100 - 1200    1200 - 1300    1300 - 1400
2                         3                       3

I'd like to archieve a result  like this (or similar):

              1100 - 1200    1200 - 1300    1300 - 1400
1-1-2010     2                   3                    3
2-1-2010     0                   1                    1

Is this possible?

bertusavius
2/8/2010 9:08:08 PM
First, rename your field. Date is a reserved word, and you should never use
reserved words for your own purposes. For a comprehensive list of names to
avoid (as well as a link to a free utility to check your application for
compliance), check what Allen Browne has at
http://www.allenbrowne.com/AppIssueBadWord.html

Assuming you rename it to shiftdate, try

SELECT shiftdate, Sum(IIf([shiftstart]<=#12/30/1899 12:0:0# And
[shiftend]>=#12/30/1899
11:0:0#,1,0)) AS [1100 - 1200], Sum(IIf([shiftstart]<=#12/30/1899 13:0:0#
And
[shiftend]>=#12/30/1899#,1,0)) AS [1200 - 1300],
Sum(IIf([shiftstart]<=#12/30/1899 14:0:0# And [shiftend]>=#12/30/1899
13:0:0#,1,0)) AS [1300 - 1400]
FROM Shifts
GROUP BY shiftdate

Realistically, though, you should be storing both date and time for
shiftstart and shiftend. In that case, you'd use

SELECT DateValue(shiftstart), Sum(IIf(TimeValue([shiftstart])<=#12/30/1899
12:0:0# And TimeValue([shiftend])>=#12/30/1899
11:0:0#,1,0)) AS [1100 - 1200], Sum(IIf(TimeValue([shiftstart])<=#12/30/1899
13:0:0# And
TimeValue([shiftend])>=#12/30/1899#,1,0)) AS [1200 - 1300],
Sum(IIf(TimeValue([shiftstart])<=#12/30/1899 14:0:0# And
TimeValue([shiftend])>=#12/30/1899
13:0:0#,1,0)) AS [1300 - 1400]
FROM Shifts
GROUP BY DateValue(shiftstart)

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"bertusavius via AccessMonster.com" <u55174@uwe> wrote in message
>I would like to add another dimension to this query:
>

> my table table now has an added colulumn DATE:
>
> id, shiftstart, shiftend, DATE
> 1, 10:00, 19:00, 1-1-2010
> 2, 11:00, 20:00, 1-1-2010
> 3, 13:00, 15:00, 2-1-2010
>
> Karl Dewey's query result looks like this (without the extra column):
>
> 1100 - 1200    1200 - 1300    1300 - 1400
> 2                         3                       3
>
> I'd like to archieve a result  like this (or similar):
>
>              1100 - 1200    1200 - 1300    1300 - 1400
> 1-1-2010     2                   3                    3
> 2-1-2010     0                   1                    1
>

> Is this possible?

Douglas
2/8/2010 10:03:01 PM
Exactly the solution I was looking for.
Seems like I really need to learn a bit more about using expresions in
queries.

Really appreciate it.

Thanks!

bertusavius

How to calculate age of a person?

how to calculate outliers

Due Date Calculated

Calculated field options???

tenure calculations

Formula to calculate time

Time Sheet Function to Calculate

Insert calculated median field in pivottable
Anyone know how to get a median calculation in a pivot table? I've tried inserting a calculated field but it always sums the calculated field. Thanks, Joel Not supported in a pivot -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "Joel Schaefer" <joel@disintegrators.com> wrote in message news:ev4P0Nk6FHA.2616@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Anyone know how to get a median calculation in a pivot table? I've tried > inserting a calculated field but it always sums the calculated field. > > Thanks, > > Joel > ...

Javascript help, calculation whoes when calculating from a calculation....
I am having a strange issue with Javascript and I cannot see what the issue us? Essentially I need to be able to calculate two values, one is addition and the second is multiplication. I am getting some strange numbers. My code is at the bottom under the ------, here are the details. crmForm.all.estimatedvalue.DataValue = 10 crmForm.all.new_cfp_estrev_nextyr.DataValue = 10 crmForm.all.new_cfp_estrev_yrtwoplus.DataValue = 10 This should make totalestrev = 30, Then its getting weird, I am taking the following formula (10/100)*30 = 270? Here 10 is the value selected from the drop down value, I ...

Calculating Employee hours for the current week
Hello, I am new to excel and have been assigned the task of creating a file that breaks down the amount of time each of our employees spends on different projects. Most importantly I want to create a rollup sheet that shows the total number of hours all the employees have spent on the different projects (there are 6) for the current week. Is there any way for excel to figure out the current week then add together the hours all the employees worked on these 6 projects? Thanks in advance. Hi, Take a look at the templates available from Microsoft at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/template...

calculator errors
when i enter an equation into a cell such as: =product(a1,b1) into cell c1. If a1 is 1000 and b1 is .10 than c1 should equal 100, but it equals 102.04. My calculator is off somehow when i try to multiply. Please help me. Thank You, Kat I'd take a look at the values in A1 and B1. Are they really 1000 and .10 or are they 1000.49999 or .10444 (for example) "Kat and the Calculator" <KatandtheCalculator@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:591A3F6E-7C20-4C88-B1E2-6B76CFF502BA@microsoft.com... > when i enter an equation into a cell such as: =product(a...

calculation in menu/tool bar using option buttons and pull-down menus
hello: Like to be able to add a series of calculations into the menu bar. The calculations would require 1 input field, 2 sets of radio (or are they called toggle???) buttons, a pull down list and an answer field that was dependent on the radio buttons, pull down and # inputted. I can do all this in an Excel worksheet fairly easily; however, I'd like to put it up in the menu bar/tool bar area so it is easily accessable no mater what workbook I'm working in. How can I do this? Any places I can read about this on the Web? Thanks for any answers/pointers! For example, the basic con...

What does this calculation do?!
I am working with a colleague to create a spreadsheet to rank supervisor performance through several aspects of the average performance of their employees. We have been given a similar spreadsheet as an example of what is needed. I am looking at it, and initially cannot understand what in the world some of the calcuations are meant to do. Here is one that is meant to calculate the "ranking score." It is a percentage determined by a target percentage and the person's actual performance percentage: =IF(IF(C3>0,(C3/B3),200)>200,200,IF(C3>0,(C3/B3),200)) As far as I ...

Savings Goals, how are they calculated
I have a budget that says I have $1000+ saved each month, when I setup a savings goal for three months down the road for $2000 it says that it is unattainable and the max I could save is $345! What else is calculated into the savings goals other than how much money is left over after each month! It just doesn't make sense. The only help it gives is check out your cash flow... and sure enough, at the time I want my savings goal to be reach it says that the total of my accounts is $4000+ dollars... why does Money keep saying that I can't do a savings goal above $345?!!! This is...

Inserting date calculations

I need help with a formula calculating time
I have a simple spreadsheet calculating the hours worked by a person, In the columns i have start time, end time and hours worked. The columns are formatted into hh:mm. The hours worked are calculated by subtracting end time from start time, based on 24hour clock. This works fine if the hours are worked on the same day, but if the person starts at 18:00 and finishes at 02:00 the subtraction doesnt work. If however i change the formatting of the cells to dd/mm/yyyy hh:mm this will work as the date helps. But i feel this would be too much info to enter for each person if i have ov...

Aggregate calculations on calculated query fields?
I made a query that uses fields from multiple tables to calculate values for daily metrics. I need to present monthly totals of the data as sums and/or means. The tables are linked by the Date (mm/dd/yyyy) field. I enter ‘between 03/01/2010 and 03/31/2010’ in the criteria for the date field. For the totals I enter ‘group by’ for the date and ‘sum’ or ‘avg’ for the calculated fields. When the query is executed I receive an error that I ‘tried to execute a query that does not include the specified expression *** as part of an aggregate function. *** is the calculated field in the...

Perfoming calculations on answers from pervious calculations
Hi all I have a user who is trying to perform a simple divide to a number of data fields, however this data appears in the field due to a larger calculateion. When she tries to put in the devide she get the orriginal calculation in the cell rather than just the answer from it. I've been told its just a setting but i cant find it!!! Any ideas anyone?? Cheers -- Karl "i'll start being nicer when you start being smarter" Hi maybe 'Tools - Options - Calculation' and check 'Automatic calculation ' -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany "Karl E...

Calculate Sliding Scale Calculation
I need to be able to calculate a commission as follows: Total Amount=$500 Total Commission (0-$100, 5%)+($101-399, 10%)+(>$400, 15%) This would calculate a different percentage for each of the ranges above and then add them together. I hope I'm making myself clear because I'm confused just writing this. It seems like there should be a very easy way to do this in Excel. Any assistance would be most appreciated. Thanks, Andy See http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/variablerate.html In article <1173808418.215657.199740@v33g2000cwv.googlegroups.com>, "Andy" <...

Calculation --- What's going on?
Does anyone know how to find out what Excel is doing as it recalculates? I have a large spreadsheet (7+M). When it calculates the completion percentage at the bottom left hand corner pauses at several values (22%, 43%, 92%, ect.) The sheet takes over 30 seconds to recalculate and so far I have not been able to determine why. I thought if I could find out what Excel is recalculating during these pauses it might give me insite as to what's happening. Also, one worksheet in the workbook was copied from another workbook. When I use shift-F9 \, that is the only worksheet that has an...

Further timesheet calculation
Frank, you are my absolute hero, I have been trying for ages to sort that one out (see question Timesheet Calculation, Richard Burrow) I new it would be something simple like that. I now have a further question however. I have set the formatted the cell to show the hours worked as a number for example: Start time Finish Time Total Time 8:45 AM 9:00 AM 0.25 It is showing the time worked as 0.25 I appreciate that 0.25 represents a quater of 1, but I want it to display the results as a quater of an hour i.e 0.15 how would this be achieved. Hi then use the formu...

GPA Calculator, problem
Hey i'm in college and i'm trying to get Excel to do the Cumulative GPA (not including classes i'm currently enrolled in), a semester GPA, and a Combined GPA. the first two work but the third does not. when i type in the formula =sum(d2/d1) works, when i type in the formula =sum(h8:h11+d8:d24)/sum(f8:f11+b8:b24) it does not. cumulative gpa =sum(d8:d24)/(b8:b24) this should be 2.36 something (i had a rough first year). semester gpa =sum(h8:h11)/(f8:f11) this should be about 3.0 Combined GPA =sum(h8:h11+d8:d24)/sum(f8:f11+b8:b24) whe...