Append to Table with Auto Number

  • Follow

Hi All,

I need to paste or use an append query to append a number of rows to a table
that contains an autonumber field. Attempts so far have failed because the
autonumber will not accept a null value.

Any ideas please.

Ta.
Bill.

0
Reply Bill 12/18/2007 12:43:52 PM

Sorry, I don't think it is the autonumber field that is the issue after all.
its another field that requires a value. Any idea how I populate that with a
default value?

Cheers.
Bill.

"Bill" <bill@bill.com> wrote in message
> Hi All,
>
> I need to paste or use an append query to append a number of rows to a
> table that contains an autonumber field. Attempts so far have failed
> because the autonumber will not accept a null value.
>
> Any ideas please.
>
> Ta.
> Bill.

0
Reply Bill 12/18/2007 12:58:21 PM

Bill

In your query, once you've identified which field contains the null(s), use
an IIF() statement to either "keep" the value in the field (if not null) or
use a default (you decide) if the underlying field does contain a null.

--
Regards

Jeff Boyce
www.InformationFutures.net

Microsoft Office/Access MVP
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

Microsoft IT Academy Program Mentor
http://microsoftitacademy.com/

> Sorry, I don't think it is the autonumber field that is the issue after
all.
> its another field that requires a value. Any idea how I populate that with
> default value?
>
> Cheers.
> Bill.
>

> "Bill" <bill@bill.com> wrote in message
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I need to paste or use an append query to append a number of rows to a
> > table that contains an autonumber field. Attempts so far have failed
> > because the autonumber will not accept a null value.
> >
> > Any ideas please.
> >
> > Ta.
> > Bill.

0