How to Change Value of Active Control

I'm writing a routine to change the value of any Active Control to null.  I
can get the name of the control using ActiveControl.Name but I can't figure
out the syntax to change the value of this control.  I've tried assigning it
to variables but variables aren't working in a:

Forms![variable]![variable] = ""

Help

"Sondreli" <Sondreli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm writing a routine to change the value of any Active Control to null.
> can get the name of the control using ActiveControl.Name but I can't
> figure
> out the syntax to change the value of this control.  I've tried assigning
> it
> to variables but variables aren't working in a:
>
> Forms![variable]![variable] = ""

ActiveControl -- whether Screen.ActiveControl or the .ActiveControl property
of a form -- returns a reference to the control itself, so you can just
assign a value to that reference.  For example,

    Screen.ActiveControl = Null

or (for the active control on the current form):

    Me.ActiveControl = Null

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
4/9/2010 9:11:34 PM
Do you mean "null" the same way Access means "null"?  (if so, see Dirk's
reply)

Regards

Jeff Boyce
Microsoft Access MVP

guarantee as to suitability.

possible/necessary.

"Sondreli" <Sondreli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm writing a routine to change the value of any Active Control to null.
> can get the name of the control using ActiveControl.Name but I can't
> figure
> out the syntax to change the value of this control.  I've tried assigning
> it
> to variables but variables aren't working in a:
>
> Forms![variable]![variable] = ""
>
> Help

0
Jeff
4/9/2010 10:14:55 PM
Dirk,

That doesn't work.  here is my code.

Public Function ClearCBOList()
    Dim frmCurrentForm As Form
    Dim frmCurrentControl As Control
    Set frmCurrentForm = Screen.ActiveForm
    Set frmCurrentControl = Screen.ActiveControl
    Screen.ActiveControl = Null
    DoCmd.Requery frmCurrentControl.Name

End Function

It is a public function to clear any Combo box after a selection is made.
The error I get with this code is that "You can't assign a value with this
object"  If I use ME it says it is an Invalid use of the Me object.

If I check the value of the variables frmCurrentForm and frmCurrentControl
it is the name that I would expect.  I just want to clear the VALUE of the
current control, not the name of the control.

any help would be appreciated.

Sondreli

> Dirk,
>
> That doesn't work.  here is my code.
>
> Public Function ClearCBOList()
>    Dim frmCurrentForm As Form
>    Dim frmCurrentControl As Control
>    Set frmCurrentForm = Screen.ActiveForm
>    Set frmCurrentControl = Screen.ActiveControl
>    Screen.ActiveControl = Null
>    DoCmd.Requery frmCurrentControl.Name
>
> End Function
>
> It is a public function to clear any Combo box after a selection is made.
> The error I get with this code is that "You can't assign a value with this
> object"  If I use ME it says it is an Invalid use of the Me object.
>
> If I check the value of the variables frmCurrentForm and frmCurrentControl
> it is the name that I would expect.  I just want to clear the VALUE of the
> current control, not the name of the control.

It works fine for me, even using your code as posted above, which is more
elaborate than necessary.  What version of Access are you using?  I tested
with Access 2003.

It may be that you are calling the function under conditions that prevent
updating the current control.  How exactly, and in what event, are you
calling the function?

--
Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP

(please reply to the newsgroup)

0
Dirk
4/13/2010 8:36:57 PM
Dirk,

I'm using 2007 and I call this procedure that is located in a global module
from a private procedure in a form.  I had extra code in there just to check
values.  When looking at a Help screen it indicated "Read Only"?

I can code it in each form but was looking for common routine.

"Dirk Goldgar" wrote:

> "Sondreli" <Sondreli@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Dirk,
> >
> > That doesn't work.  here is my code.
> >
> > Public Function ClearCBOList()
> >    Dim frmCurrentForm As Form
> >    Dim frmCurrentControl As Control
> >    Set frmCurrentForm = Screen.ActiveForm
> >    Set frmCurrentControl = Screen.ActiveControl
> >    Screen.ActiveControl = Null
> >    DoCmd.Requery frmCurrentControl.Name
> >
> > End Function
> >
> > It is a public function to clear any Combo box after a selection is made.
> > The error I get with this code is that "You can't assign a value with this
> > object"  If I use ME it says it is an Invalid use of the Me object.
> >
> > If I check the value of the variables frmCurrentForm and frmCurrentControl
> > it is the name that I would expect.  I just want to clear the VALUE of the
> > current control, not the name of the control.
>

> It works fine for me, even using your code as posted above, which is more
> elaborate than necessary.  What version of Access are you using?  I tested
> with Access 2003.
>
> It may be that you are calling the function under conditions that prevent
> updating the current control.  How exactly, and in what event, are you
> calling the function?
>
> --
> Dirk Goldgar, MS Access MVP
> Access tips: www.datagnostics.com/tips.html
>
> (please reply to the newsgroup)

External data link change

how to display a activex control to toolbar?
i want to display a mfc activex control on toolbar, how to do? thanks The articel below shows how to add any control in a toolbar. THat will be a good start: http://www.codeguru.com/article.php/c2547 Another easy option might be to use a CDialogBar, which is based on a dialog template. It might be easy to add ActiveX to a dialog instead. --- Ajay ...

Why does the change change to a number?

DST changes for Exchange 5.5

Track Changes

more on VBA function name change

How to change icon for my application

VLOOKUP: Retrieving Values
Vlookup: I am trying to lookup a value ( SCOTLAND ) on a spreadsheet called ( Data ) in order to populate ceratin cells on my other spreadsheet ( Spreadone ). If the value (SCOTLAND) is located in (Data) I want it to copy the values of specific cells (not all of them ) from the same row into ( Spreadone ). So : CHECK COLUMN N (CLASS) IN SPREADSHEET (DATA) FOR STRING (SCOTLAND) IF THE STRING = SCOTLAND THEN IN SPREADSHEET (Spreadone) POPULATE CELL A7:A25 = ACCOUNT NO (from Data) CELL B7:B25 = CLIENT (from Data) CELL C7:C25 = CUSIP (from Data) CELL D7:D25 = QTY (from Data) CELL E7:E25...

Taking the Mode based on cell value
Could you provide a few more details about what you want to do? -- Cordially, Chip Pearson Microsoft MVP - Excel Pearson Software Consulting, LLC www.cpearson.com "sip8316" <sip8316@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E3F4DE24-C5E8-4911-96E6-E61A1E56DEF0@microsoft.com... > ...

How to change newsgroup message font

How to MATCH value up a column
I need to match/find the first matching cell up a column. Ideas? TIA! Hi I don't know what you are looking for, but see: MATCH(A2,A1:F1,0) or VLOOKUP(A3,Sheet2!A:B,2,FALSE) -- Please click "yes" if this post helped you! Greatly appreciated Eva "DevourU" wrote: > I need to match/find the first matching cell up a column. Ideas? TIA! Thankx for the reply. Here is my formula:=IF(A11>A10,C10,(IF(A11=A10,A10,"?"))). I need to have IF(A11<A10, search up column A for 1st match, example A4, display next column B4. Clear as mu...

Copy worksheet to new workbook : Values & Formats
Hi, Is it possible to cpy an entire worksheet (Values & Formats) to a new workbook without copying formulas ? Sheets(X).Copy is building links to previous workbook. Thks for help After coping go to Edit->Links, and break links, and excel will replace links with values. If you do it from VBA, which seems so, try with PasteSpecial metod. "Franck" <wesley.saris@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1130320762.209498.135290@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com... > Hi, > Is it possible to cpy an entire worksheet (Values & Formats) to a new > workbook without copying f...

Change a formula to an acual number

Problem Changing an Investment Name

How to copy a column of values into another column where the cells are merged
Hi, I have a sheet with a column that lists some values. I also have a second sheet that has a column where the cells are merged every 4 rows. I need to copy the values of the first sheet into the merged cells, but when I do, I only see every fourth value on the merged cells. Is there a formula or any other way that I can use to be able to copy all the values from the first sheet into the second sheet each value on a different group of merged cells? Thanks! Assume you have values in A1:A5 of Sheet1 that you want to copy into Sheet2, where A1:A4, A5:A8, A9;A12 etc are merged. Put this formul...

Should I change this code?

How to change default font in Outlook 2003

icon changes with change of extension

Field Type Change

Display Formula Values
I have a number of formulas that are displaying the result using the value that is displayed in a referenced cell rather than what was actually input. For example, if my formula in cell A1 is B1*C1 and my value in C1 is .075 and the cell is formatted to display a percentage with no decimal places my formula in B1 uses 8% instead of 7.5%. How can I address this across the entire workbook rather than having to change the format in each of the necessary cells. Thanks for your help. What formula do you have in B1? -- Regards, RD --------------------------------------------------------...

colour change of dated box

Linking Values in Worksheets
Is there a simple method of linking a column of values in one worksheet to another worksheet? I can do it manually, one at a time but is there a way of copying the link down the column? (The columns are identical in length) Registers\[Stock Control-Sigma-SMTech.xls]Sheet1'!$C$1369 Registers\[Stock Control-Sigma-SMTech.xls]Sheet1'!$C$1370 Registers\[Stock Control-Sigma-SMTech.xls]Sheet1'!$C$1371 etc, etc Many thanks david Hi David try ='C:\Registers\[Stock Control-Sigma-SMTech.xls]Sheet1'!$C1369 and copy down Frank DavidM wrote: > Is there a simple method of linki...