How to set field so it is read only

Follow
Email
On a master form how do you set the field so that it is read only (data can
not be changed)?
--
Thank you,  Jack
0

If you want a text box to be read only, you set its Locked property to Yes
(on the Data tab of its property sheet).

If you want all data on the form to be readonly, you set AllowEdits to No.
Then you don't have bother with setting the textbox to locked.

"Jack" <Jack@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> On a master form how do you set the field so that it is read only (data
> can
> not be changed)?
> --
> Thank you,  Jack

0
Reply Jeanette 11/21/2009 11:09:23 AM
If you also set a control's Enabled property to False (No) as well as its
Locked property to True (Yes) the user will not be able to move focus to the
control.  Setting the Enabled property to False without making the Locked
property True has the same effect, but in this case the control's background
is greyed out, whereas setting both leaves its appearance as normal.

One thing to be aware of if setting a form's AllowEdits property to False is
that, not only will this make any bound controls read only, but it will also
disable any unbound controls such as an unbound combo box for selecting a
record to move to for instance.  So if you want the bound controls to be non-
editable, but to have unbound controls available to the user disable/lock the
relevant bound controls individually.

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England

Jack wrote:
>On a master form how do you set the field so that it is read only (data can
>not be changed)?

Reply KenSheridan 11/21/2009 12:54:03 PM
Thanks a lot.  It seem so easy when someone knows what they are doing.
--
Thank you,  Jack

"KenSheridan via AccessMonster.com" wrote:

> If you also set a control's Enabled property to False (No) as well as its
> Locked property to True (Yes) the user will not be able to move focus to the
> control.  Setting the Enabled property to False without making the Locked
> property True has the same effect, but in this case the control's background
> is greyed out, whereas setting both leaves its appearance as normal.
>
> One thing to be aware of if setting a form's AllowEdits property to False is
> that, not only will this make any bound controls read only, but it will also
> disable any unbound controls such as an unbound combo box for selecting a
> record to move to for instance.  So if you want the bound controls to be non-
> editable, but to have unbound controls available to the user disable/lock the
> relevant bound controls individually.
>
> Ken Sheridan
> Stafford, England
>
> Jack wrote:
> >On a master form how do you set the field so that it is read only (data can
> >not be changed)?

> .

0
Reply Utf 11/21/2009 8:43:01 PM
Follow
Email

Email sent from iphone not formatted to read in entourage
For starters, I'm using a new macbook pro, and entourage 2008 - via an exchange server environment I just noticed that I can read sent email from entourage formatted just as it was when it was sent (the good news). However, when I send an email from my iphone, the sent folder in entourage displays the sent mail, but formats it in a manner that's not readable (more like code) - in the sent folder, it shows no recipient and no subject. Enclosures are also not showing up in the sent folder On 1/27/10 4:28 PM, Tim Bradbury wrote: > For starters, I'm using a new mac...

setting up new outlook mail account

OWA Set Rule problem

Latest version of Excel that will read Excel 5 files
Will Excel 2002 read Excel 5 files? What about Excel 2003? --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Hi will do. My Excel 2003 reads and saves Excel 95 files as well Frank > Will Excel 2002 read Excel 5 files? What about Excel 2003? Just to be sure there's no misunderstanding, I meant Excel 5.0, the version that preceded Office 95. Excel 5.0, when packaged with Office, was part of Office 4.3. --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Yes -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom "dderolph >" <<dderolph.10lrct@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in mes...

Make query headings just contain field names?
I've created Query2 based on Query1. When I select individual fields from Query1, the datasheet view displays the original query name in the column heading along with the field name: Query1.FirstName Is there a way to just display the field name: FirstName I'm using Access 2007. hi Sara, On 10.02.2010 21:46, SaraD wrote: > Is there a way to just display the field name: > FirstName Open your query in the designer and change the field selection to FirstName: Query1.FirstName mfG --> stefan <-- ...

How to set backcolour

Reading pane does not match message list
I've been using WLM desktop for a over a year with no problems at all. I just had to do a complete recovery on my PC, including an update to WLM 2009, which meant doing an export / import. All seemed to go fine. But, as of this morning many of my storage folders, but not all, show all the correct messages in the message list, but the reading pane always shows the same message. I first thought that it was the result of the import process, but I see that even messages I moved to the folders this morning are behaving the same way. I've even rebooted the PC, but I still ...

Set Regional Settings but not Language

The Pivot Table field name is not valid, #2
I am receiving the above error message, but don't understand why. My data is in columns, organised as a list and the columns are labelled. What do I have to do to get over this? Thanks Denise Hey Deniseh... The Pivot table is looking for a concentric group of columns and cells, my belief without seeing the data is that you have a column in the data range that does not have heading... check to verify that each the first cell in each column of the pivot table data range has a value populated -- Thanks for your help - Joe Mac "deniseh" wrote: > I am receiving the ab...

Reading Pane Settings

Excel File
When we received a excel file through mail , while opening the file i received a error :corrupt file, run repair to to extract the contents. The same file when opened on another PC received an error : read only. Please asuggest a immediate solution Can you right-click the file, go to properties and uncheck read only? -- Sincerely, Michael Colvin "ritu" wrote: > When we received a excel file through mail , while opening the file i > received a error :corrupt file, run repair to to extract the contents. > > The same file when opened on another PC received an error ...

interactive buttons, multiple sets

How do I set OOR

Set Focus

Reminder Time vs Due By Field #2
I'm using O2003. For a contact, there is the Due by Field. There is also a Reminder Time field. If you update the Due By field, it updates the Reminder Time field. However, if you update the Reminder Time field, it does not update the Due By field. By default for a contact, you have access to the Due By field. The Reminder field is avaialble, but you have to manually add it. In Tasks, it seems to work the same in that if you update the Due By field, it updates the Reminder Time field. However, if you update the Reminder Time field, it does not update the Due By field. However, you have a...

Publisher 2003 Need to set business card to Avery 5371 setting
I need to set the print settings so the business cardd that I created will print on Avery 5371 business cards Okay.........and your question is? -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Jonathan" <Jonathan @discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:187615DD-9EF1-42A2-8436-78E6E6C6ACE4@microsoft.com... >I need to set the print settings so the business cardd that I created will > print on Avery 5371 business cards Page setup, business cards, click change copies per sheet, type > .5 top, .75 side, zero gaps. Avery 5371 is a standard business card s...

Copy data of some fields on a form to the next record
I have a form used to enter data on a record in which 7 of the fields will contain the exact same data for several sebsequent records. Instead of having to re-enter repetative data for several sebsequent records, I need a checkbox (or some indicator) that would set a control that when checked, it would tell the database that it should carry the data in a certain set of fields (the 7) to the next record. For instance, when you order an item online using a credit card and if you check the box the delivery address information you just entered will repeat or copy to the billing address f...

Setting the Settings
Really quickly: How (exactly) does one get Publisher to remember the page settings I want. ie. every time I open a new document, I get centimeters, and usually, I'd prefer inches. I have not been able to find a "Save Settings" option anywhere. Can anyone help? thomas In Publisher 2000 it's Tools Options General tab Measurements unit box - select inches. OK That should do it. -- Don -------- Vancouver, USA - One of the great cities in one of the 45+ countries in America! "ThomasL" <tlammert@netcom.ca> wrote in message ne...

"Object or class does not support the set of events" Quick Question
All, I built a MS Access database in MS Access 2003, which I have set up in a shared folder. I have a form with some standard components such as text boxs, bottons. When a user updates the form I wish to record the time/date and username in the record. I have posted a copy of the code I'm using for the "BeforeUpdate" event below. Now this works fine on my machine and updates without a problem. However when a user on another machine (also using MS Access 2003) tries to update the same field, he gets the following error: "The expression Before Update you entered as the eve...