Using the Find Command with a Command Button

Greetings,

I have a form with numerous fields that I am wanting to use the "Find"
command on.  What I am wanting to do is use a command button on the form
labeled "Search".  Whenever the user presses the Search button, I would like
the "Find" command to be executed for whatever field the cursor is currently
in.  For instance, if the cursor is resting in the "First Name" field, then
when the user presses the "Search" button I would like the "Find and Replace"
dialog to appear so that they can't enter in a first name to search for.  I
realize that there is the "Find and Replace" toolbar button that I can use,
but I haven't figured out how to use this with a command button.  I have
tried to the following "DoCmd" line of code, but to no avail.  Any
suggestions?

Call DoCmd.DoMenuItem(acFormBar, acEditMenu, acFindRecord, , acMenuVer70)
--
Thanks in advance!

Sherwood

"Sherwood" wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I have a form with numerous fields that I am wanting to use the "Find"
> command on.  What I am wanting to do is use a command button on the form
> labeled "Search".  Whenever the user presses the Search button, I would like
> the "Find" command to be executed for whatever field the cursor is currently
> in.  For instance, if the cursor is resting in the "First Name" field, then
> when the user presses the "Search" button I would like the "Find and Replace"
> dialog to appear so that they can't enter in a first name to search for.  I
> realize that there is the "Find and Replace" toolbar button that I can use,
> but I haven't figured out how to use this with a command button.  I have
> tried to the following "DoCmd" line of code, but to no avail.  Any
> suggestions?
>
> Call DoCmd.DoMenuItem(acFormBar, acEditMenu, acFindRecord, , acMenuVer70)
> --
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Sherwood

Hi Sherwood,
Try pasting this into the OnClick event for your Search Button:

On Error GoTo Err_Find_Click

    Screen.PreviousControl.SetFocus
    DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acEditMenu, 10, , acMenuVer70

Exit_Find_Click:
    Exit Sub

Err_Find_Click:
    MsgBox Err.DESCRIPTION
    Resume Exit_Find_Click

Hope that helped.
Dave
Thanks.  That worked great!
--
Sherwood

"Dave" wrote:

> "Sherwood" wrote:
>
> > Greetings,
> >
> > I have a form with numerous fields that I am wanting to use the "Find"
> > command on.  What I am wanting to do is use a command button on the form
> > labeled "Search".  Whenever the user presses the Search button, I would like
> > the "Find" command to be executed for whatever field the cursor is currently
> > in.  For instance, if the cursor is resting in the "First Name" field, then
> > when the user presses the "Search" button I would like the "Find and Replace"
> > dialog to appear so that they can't enter in a first name to search for.  I
> > realize that there is the "Find and Replace" toolbar button that I can use,
> > but I haven't figured out how to use this with a command button.  I have
> > tried to the following "DoCmd" line of code, but to no avail.  Any
> > suggestions?
> >
> > Call DoCmd.DoMenuItem(acFormBar, acEditMenu, acFindRecord, , acMenuVer70)
> > --
> > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > Sherwood
>
> Hi Sherwood,
> Try pasting this into the OnClick event for your Search Button:
>
> On Error GoTo Err_Find_Click
>
>     Screen.PreviousControl.SetFocus
>     DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acEditMenu, 10, , acMenuVer70
>
> Exit_Find_Click:
>     Exit Sub
>
> Err_Find_Click:
>     MsgBox Err.DESCRIPTION
>     Resume Exit_Find_Click
>
> Hope that helped.
> Dave

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

How to disable the "X" close button of DialogBox.?
i have to disable the "X" button of the Dialog box, how to do it...??? "Ajit Surana" <suranaajit@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1152246450.048098.84020@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com... > i have to disable the "X" button of the Dialog box, how to do it...??? Something like this: CMenu* pMenu = GetSystemMenu(FALSE); if(pMenu) { ASSERT_KINDOF(CMenu, pMenu ); pMenu->EnableMenuItem(SC_CLOSE, MF_BYCOMMAND | MF_GRAYED | MF_DISABLED); } -- Ajay Kalra [MVP - VC++] ajaykalra@yahoo.com Thank you Ajay, that is working fine.....wht i need. Thank you ...

using forms

Using Spanish on Publisher

Finding all table and fields that are involved in a one to many relation (on many side) with a given field
Hi, I have a master table, and several other tables that are related to this master through one to many relations. How can I find all tables and fields which are in relation with the primary key in the master table, on "many" side? I know I can extract this by querying views from INFORMATION_SCHEMA, but I don't know where exactly I can find this info Thank you One way Select op.name As ParentTableName, oc.name As ChildTableName, c.name As ChildColumnName From sys.foreign_key_columns kc Inner Join sys.objects op On kc.parent_object_id = op.object_id Inner Jo...

FormulaR1C1 using variables

Using XML with ASP.NET

Find values of properties of checkbox
How do you find the values of a property (such as whether or not they are checked) when the check boxes have been created on the fly? Any help would be much appreciated! *** Sent via Developersdex http://www.developersdex.com *** "Mike P" <mike.parr@gmail.com> wrote in message news:OBhh2ds4KHA.1924@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl... > How do you find the values of a property (such as whether or not they > are checked) when the check boxes have been created on the fly? Is it a Web or WinForms application? If you did not keep a Reference to the checkboxe...

Using secured OMA

Compile error using CTypedPtrList

Using resources, how to ?

scatter plots using pivot table data

Allow temporarily use of right click

How to use interfaces

Workbook_Close Command
I am looking for a code which would restore the spread sheet to "Clean State" before saving (when it is being saved): Something like the following which would be automatically trigged when sheet is saved: Sub Before_Save () OnSave ActiveSheet.AutoFilterMode = False Range("A3").Select end sub Thanks for your help Jan Maybe you could use the workbook_beforesave event: Option Explicit Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(ByVal SaveAsUI As Boolean, Cancel As Boolean) With Worksheets("Sheet1") .AutoFilterMode = False Application.Goto ...

How to find the associated FrameWnd from a view ?
In a MDI application, how can I find the associated FrameWnd of a CEditView? The code fragment below works, but there must be a simpler and direct method. Any suggestions? CMainFrame* pFrame = (CMainFrame *)AfxGetApp()->m_pMainWnd; CFrameWnd* pNextWnd=pFrame->GetActiveFrame(); // then check every FrameWnd until a match is found: pNextWnd = (CFrameWnd*) pNextWnd->GetNextWindow(); ... Use GetParentFrame: ASSERT_VALID(pView); CFrameWnd* pFrameWnd = pView->GetParentFrame(); ASSERT_VALID(pFrameWnd); --------- Ajay Kalra ajaykalra@yahoo.com Wow, I am impresse...

What do you use Excel for?

FBI FORENSICS CAN FIND DELETED FILES xxxaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssaaaaaaaaa\aaaa
begin 644 30dfrq1j.txt M66]U)W)E(&EN(%-E<FEO=7,@5')O=6)L92 M($ET)W,@82!0<F]V96X@1F%C M="$-"@T*1D))($9/4D5.4TE#4R!#04X@1DE.1"!$14Q%5$5$($9)3$53#0H- M"E1(15)%($%212!42$E.1U,@3TX@64]54B!#3TU0551%4@T*5$A!5"!93U4@ M5$A/54=(5"!93U4@1$5,151%1"X-"@T*(2$A(4)55"!42$59($%212!35$E, M3"!42$5212$A(0T*#0I#;&EC:R!H97)E(&9O<B!D971A:6QS(&]N('1H92!% M5DE$14Y#12!%3$E-24Y!5$]2#0H-"D-L96%R('EO=7(@8V]M<'5T97(@;V8@ M:6YC<FEM:6YA=&EN9R!F:6QE<PT*=&AA="!Y;W4@8V%N;F]T(&1E;&5T92X- M"@T*=W=W+G)...

using extended desktop mode
How can I move an Excel spreadsheet onto my second monitor. Word and Internet provide no problems, I just click & drag. Same way. You have to have the application window in a non-maximised state though, and you can then drag it from one to the other, or even size it so it spreads across the two screens completely. If I have the window maximised though, I am unable to drag it from screen to screen. -- Regards Ken....................... Microsoft MVP - Excel Sys Spec - Win XP Pro / XL 97/00/02/03 ------------------------------�-------------------------...