How do I stop the control wizrd from creating embedded macros?

I want the control wizard to create VBA code, not embedded macros.  I checked
the "Always use event procedures" box in the Access Options - Object
Designers, but the wizard still creates embedded macros instead of VBA code
(tried several combo boxes and command buttons on different forms).  What am
I missing?

What version of Access?

I've never seen the wizard create a macro, although I haven't used the
wizard in Access 2007.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://I.Am/DougSteele

"David Semon" <DavidSemon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want the control wizard to create VBA code, not embedded macros.  I
>checked
> the "Always use event procedures" box in the Access Options - Object
> Designers, but the wizard still creates embedded macros instead of VBA
> code
> (tried several combo boxes and command buttons on different forms).  What
> am
> I missing?

0
Douglas
11/7/2007 1:45:50 PM
Sorry ... Access 2007.  By default, Access 2007 creates embedded macros (new
in 2007 - I think).  By changing the option setting, it should create VBA
code instead.  But, for some reason, I can't get it work.

"Douglas J. Steele" wrote:

> What version of Access?
>
> I've never seen the wizard create a macro, although I haven't used the
> wizard in Access 2007.
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> http://I.Am/DougSteele
> (no e-mails, please!)
>

> "David Semon" <DavidSemon@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I want the control wizard to create VBA code, not embedded macros.  I
> >checked
> > the "Always use event procedures" box in the Access Options - Object
> > Designers, but the wizard still creates embedded macros instead of VBA
> > code
> > (tried several combo boxes and command buttons on different forms).  What
> > am
> > I missing?

Douglas:

FYI: In my search for an answer (which I still do not have), I came across
this article which explains why Access 2007 has embedded macros:

Saturday, April 21, 2007 4:26 AM clintc
Reader question about macros and VBA
A reader recently asked:

Is there any way on Access 2007 to keep wizards and Switchboard Manager
coding in VBA, any way developers "HAVE" to code for most applications.
If a customer is buying an apllication from us, he is not going to trust
what he bought?.
Switchboard manager was great in its code handling.

Good question. Let me back-track a little into the annuals of the decision
to move the button wizard from VBA to macros. There are a significant
percentages of Access databases that are built by information workers that
have very little code. One of the many goals for Access 2007 was to expand on
this and allow IWs to build better applications without writing code. The new
security model allows users to run databases without any VBA code enabled
(this is important for many organizations). As you know, trusted locations
make it much easier to deploy databases with code. Our wildly popular
templates are functional databases that don't have code. Feedback on the
templates have been positive.

We started running into scenarios where IWs opened a database and added a
switchboard or button that didn't work. Users were confused--they didn't work
because the database wasn't enabled. As many of you have complained about
over the years, the wizards also wrote out poor examples of VBA (doMenuCmd 97
kind of stuff). To fix the problem we converted the wizards to write out
embedded macros that run in untrusted databases. We also spent time cleaning
up the code they generate to provide users with better learning examples.

We did consider a flag to write out either VBA or macros but the feature was
one of many things we wanted to do that didn't make it into the release. :-(
Beta 2 shipped and we got lots of feedback from beta testers (Pat Hartman and
John Viescas were particularly vocal) that they wanted a way to convert
embedded macros to VBA. As a late change we made it possible to convert
embedded macros to VBA. You can find the command on the Database tab under
Macro.

Do we think everything should be written in macros? No--they aren't a
replacement for VBA. VBA will continue to ship and be supported in the
future. Macros are turning out to be useful for simple actions that took a
few lines of code. We find that IWs are much more successful making small
changes to macros than VBA. I have yet to hear a perf complain on macros
verses VBA, so performance shouldn't be an issue. Long-term, we intend to
continue to innovate in this area and make macros more useful for broader
developer scenarios.

Thanks for your question and hope this explains our logic.

Filed under: Developer, Templates, Access 2007

--------------------------------------

On Nov 8, 7:51 am, David Semon <DavidSe...@discussions.microsoft.com>
wrote:
> [...]
>
> Filed under: Developer, Templates, Access 2007
>
> --------------------------------------
>

> "Douglas J. Steele" wrote:
> > What version of Access?
>
> > I've never seen the wizard create a macro, although I haven't used the
> > wizard in Access 2007.
>
> > --
> > Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> >http://I.Am/DougSteele
> > (no e-mails, please!)
>
> > "David Semon" <DavidSe...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > >I want the control wizard to create VBA code, not embedded macros.  I
> > >checked
> > > the "Always use event procedures" box in the Access Options - Object
> > > Designers, but the wizard still creates embedded macros instead of VBA
> > > code
> > > (tried several combo boxes and command buttons on different forms).  What

So has anyone got a solution to this yet?
0
David
12/12/2007 2:00:40 AM
Not yet ... I'm still trying to figure out what is going on.  Even reloaded
MS Office.  Still a problem.

Dave Semon

"David" wrote:

> [...]
> > changes to macros than VBA. I have yet to hear a perf complain on macros
> > verses VBA, so performance shouldn't be an issue. Long-term, we intend to
> > continue to innovate in this area and make macros more useful for broader
> > developer scenarios.
> >
> > Thanks for your question and hope this explains our logic.
> >
> > Filed under: Developer, Templates, Access 2007
> >
> > --------------------------------------
> >

> > "Douglas J. Steele" wrote:
> > > What version of Access?
> >
> > > I've never seen the wizard create a macro, although I haven't used the
> > > wizard in Access 2007.
> >
> > > --
> > > Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
> > >http://I.Am/DougSteele
> > > (no e-mails, please!)
> >
> > > "David Semon" <DavidSe...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> So has anyone got a solution to this yet?

Tabbing into continuous subform ignores the first control
When I tab into the subform, from the last position in the main form, the focus moves to the second control in the continuous subform except on the first record entered in a session. I shift+tab back to the first control and the tabbing is normal from then on until the next record gets to the subform. The order of the controls on the subform is the same as the fields in the underlying table and the effect is the same in Datasheet view (of the subform). This first control on the subform is a combo box if that effects anything. Is there a way to get the tabbing right? ern. No, I thought the...

Creating Multiple Worksheets From A Single Sheet
I need some help to find a way of creating multiple worksheets from a single sheet. I have created a Macro that will insert page breaks after each change of supplier code, I now need to put each set of supplier codes onto seperate sheets in the same workbook... Please help!! Try this http://www.rondebruin.nl/copy5.htm Use the last macro on this page for all unique values -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "Beccy" <Beccy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:96F67F34-766A-4D37-B359-ADB7278080B3@microsoft.com... > I need some help to find a way...

Word documents should contain an embedded dictionary
When I write documents with many proper names, I add the names to the custom dictionary to permit Word to spell check the names throughout the document. That said, I would rather not keep proper names in my custom dictionary where I keep what I consider to be "global" or cross document language additions like acronyms etc. Also, when coworkers view my document in Word on their machines, it flags the names as misspellings since my custom dictionary is stored on my machine (needless to say it's not real pleasant trying to share and manage a document and external cust...

ActiveX controls on dialogs
I'm fairly new to MFC so please bear with me... I am trying to use the RDP ActiveX control (msrdp.ocx) in a dialog-based application. I am having a problem with repainting the control. For example, if I move the dialog half way off screen or if I cover it with another window, the covered area whcih is part of the RDP control does not get repainted. What is the correct way of keeping the control painted in such a scenario? I tried various ways of calling Invalidate and no dice. I imagine a message is getting lost or not passed somewhere? I wont' post any code since right now I...

can i create message for icon which create in DLL
Hello guys, how to call NOTIFYICONDATA and post message to the icon in MFC extension dll? I can create the icon, but i can not catch the message which point to the icon. my code in DllMain: CreateDialog((HINSTANCE)AfxGetApp(),MAKEINTRESOURCE (IDD_DIALOG1),NULL,SetDispDlgProc); dlgTimer.Create(IDD_DIALOG1); SetResolutionMenu (dlgTimer); m_hIcon = AfxGetApp()->LoadIcon(IDI_DLLSTATUS); StatusAreaIcon(NIM_ADD,1006,m_hIcon,"running"); but the callback function SetDispDlgProc() never be called except Create, why? thank you! delu "delu" <qiudelu@hotmail.com&...

stops responding

how can I create a custom design for business card
I saved a picture on my desktop that I would like to use for my business card design.How do I go about doing it if it's possible? Thank you in advance Jason Jason Use the 'insert' picture from file, and then use the 'format' picture for placement, layout et al.. -- Mike Hall MVP - Windows Shell/User http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm "wrenchnjai1" <wrenchnjai1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2FF8A318-3324-445C-A07F-65B47F3C3258@microsoft.com... >I saved a picture on my desktop that I would like to use for my ...

Macro to create charts
I recently had this question answered very comprehensively. However, I've been told that I need to show my data on a chart in % form. Can anyone help modify the following macro to automatically generate charts where the source data is on a row by row basis with four columns showing data (don't need to show targets on this one). I've tried to modify it myself, but can't seem to get it working. The columns are all next to each other - no gaps. To clarigy, I need Name, %Score1, %Score2, %Score3 & %Score 4. That's it. Regards, JDB Jon Peltier In: microsoft.publ...

POS (Not RMS) Item Not Found After Creating
We added two new items to our inventory, both bottled juices, creating them using the Code 39 barcode on the each item's label. After adding them, we tested their availability (price, in stock, description) by scanning each barcode. The POS system prompts us to Create New Item (which we define as not found in the database). Checking the item list, we do not find the items we just created. Searching for Item Number, Description, etc, produces no search results. So, we attempted to re-enter them into the POS system. On one item, a prompt states Item Description already in use. O...

blue stop screen 0x0000007E

recipient policy stopped working

About Macros
Hi .. All.. i am a S/W Test Engineer. Actually I have a new job on macros(my bos gave me). I don't know all the functions of macros. I just know that these ar used for Short cut keys (just like automation)... I would like to know 1. What are the additional functions of Macros? 2. How these macros are used in Other Addin like VB Applications.... ? 3. If I have a Excel Template Then How can I use These templates i Macros Programming? 4. How to write code (For macros) to access the data from V Application and produce reports in form of charts ,and reports. Any help/suggestions/arti...

Stop all macros
I have a button on a form, which should do different things depending on 1. The data contained within the current record; 2. Whether the current record is a 'new record'; 3. Whether the current record is the first record in the form. On click, an embedded macro is initiated. Each step in the embedded macro has a condition and a corresponding 'RunMacro' action. All the conditions are mutually exclusive, and each sub-macro has a final step of 'StopAllMacros'. So the embedded macro should trigger one, and only one sub-macro. However, it appears that what is act...

Creating e-mail style newsletter
I currently have a very nicely laid out newsletter done in Publisher 2002. I am familiar with HTML and CSS; plus have Studio MX. I know that I can save my newletter as a Web Page but this creates a lot of excess coding. What would be the best way to go about this process? Yes, the newsletter will be in HTML & CSS (no javascript) and have one image that is 600x171. The image is used as a logo. I seperated the Publisher's name and publication info, so the image isn't critical. -- Sincerely, Barry Brindisi Web: http://www.shorevineyard.com http://www.bethberakah.c...

Handling List View Control Messages
Sir, I am dealing wih CList View CoNTROL. since this control has many items and each item selected should display one specific menu. hOW TO GET THE NAME OF THE ITEM SELECTED IN THIS LISTCONTROL. Regards POSITION pos = pList->GetFirstSelectedItemPosition(); if (pos == NULL) TRACE0("No items were selected!\n"); else { while (pos) { int nItem = pList->GetNextSelectedItem(pos); TRACE1("Item %s was selected!\n", pList->GetItemText( nItem,0 /* gives the text in the 1st column */) ); } "YKUT" <ykutanoor2003@yahoo.com> wrote in me...

Stopping the scroll bar
Hi all, this is my first time. I don't know if this is the right place for this problem but here I go. I have created a template of an invoice the size of an A4 and would like to stop the scroll bar moving both horizantally and vertically in normal view just as if it was in print view. Is that possible through VBA and if yes what is the code that I would need to achieve such task. Thanks in advance --- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ Not too sure what you are after but you can remove the scrollbars with <Tools - Options> and then in the View tab, at the bottom,...

re Macro
Thanks to those who offered help but I still am not quite there with the correct solution. R.Venkataraman's code was almost correct but I don't think I explained myself correctly. In my sheet1 the user inputs numbers (1-50) in column A.(pluss loads of other data in columns B:P) what I require is the macro to ask the user to input the 'job' they want to print. So if the user inputs <9> then column A in sheet 1 is searched for the number 9 then the contents of that particular row are copied (without formula - just cell values) and the data pasted onto row A2 of sheet...

Stopping a Campaign Temporarily
Hi, My client has executed the campaign in Jan 1st 2006 and the end date is Dec 31st 2006. But he wants to stop the campaign temporarily from 15th July 2006 and again start it from 1st Aug 2006. So what is that I need to do for this thing, i have never come across this kind of situation before. Thanks in advance. Regards, Shabbir. ...

How do I create a CCheckListBox control with a dialog resource tem
I want to insert a Checklistbox into my dialog, but there is no tool for it in the standard toolbar. All the information that I have found so far tell sme that I can add one into the resource template, but does not mention how. Any help greatly appreciated! Mkennedy1102 wrote: > I want to insert a Checklistbox into my dialog, but there is no tool for it > in the standard toolbar. All the information that I have found so far tell > sme that I can add one into the resource template, but does not mention how. > Any help greatly appreciated! CCheckListBox uses an ordinary l...

Volume Control
I can't adjust Bass and Treble in Tone Controls section of my sound device in Advanced Controls For Microphone dialog of Volume Control because it is dimmed,why? Mammad DN wrote: > I can't adjust Bass and Treble in Tone Controls section of my sound device > in Advanced Controls For Microphone dialog of Volume Control because it is > dimmed,why? > The hardware chip, may not have Bass and Treble, supported in the hardware. Paul Or, the problem may be due to the use of a windows included "generic" driver instead of a hardware specific...

determining which control fires a message
Hello, I have a simple dialog app with a number of buttons. Each button performs basically the same function. I want to have each BN_CLICKED message call the same function, determine which button was pressed, and act accordingly. I can't seem to find a way to trace back to the message- generating button's ID. Is this possible? Thanks, J. Look up ON_CONROL_RANGE macro. Ali R. "J Crafton" <jccrafton@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:039f01c39e50$cbce67e0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > Hello, > > I have a simple dialog app with a number of buttons. &g...

Creating multi-user Excel form for online
I have created a spreadsheet listing auction items. The columns show the retail value, current bid, minimum bid, etc. These fields have associated formulas. There are three columns that are not locked and can receive entries. I want to be able to somehow use this spreadsheet on a private website for members to bid on the auction items. My problem is that as a spreadsheet, the user must first have Excel and then must save the spreadsheet to record their bids. How do I get around the need for the user to have Excel? When saving it, is it saving to the website file or to tha...