Repeat data from previous records in a form

I am creating a a form for data entry and want to know if there is a way to
repeat data in fields from the previous record (or default to previous
record).  For example, I user has 100 entries - I would like to set up the
form so they do not have to enter their ID each time they enter a record.

When you hold the ctrl key and click the apostrophe key ' access copies the
contents of the same field from the previous record. This assumes that the
new record immediately follows the old record so you may have to sort the
source table and requery it after each time a new record is inserted. If you
are entering all 100 records one right after the other and the key is
sequential you shouldn't have to sort it.

"sjf" wrote:

> I am creating a a form for data entry and want to know if there is a way to
> repeat data in fields from the previous record (or default to previous
> record).  For example, I user has 100 entries - I would like to set up the
> form so they do not have to enter their ID each time they enter a record.
Is there a way to do this so it will be automatic?
--
Thanks, Joy

"Paul Sanguinetti" wrote:

> When you hold the ctrl key and click the apostrophe key ' access copies the
> contents of the same field from the previous record. This assumes that the
> new record immediately follows the old record so you may have to sort the
> source table and requery it after each time a new record is inserted. If you
> are entering all 100 records one right after the other and the key is
> sequential you shouldn't have to sort it.
>
> "sjf" wrote:
>
> > I am creating a a form for data entry and want to know if there is a way to
> > repeat data in fields from the previous record (or default to previous
> > record).  For example, I user has 100 entries - I would like to set up the
> > form so they do not have to enter their ID each time they enter a record.
Sure, you just set the DefaultValue for the field in the field's AfterUpdate
event!
After a value is entered, in your date field, for instance, it will
automatically be entered in each new record thereafter until you change it
(in which case the new entry will become the default value) or you close down
the form

The syntax is slightly different, depending on the datatype.

For Date fields

Private Sub YourDateControlName_AfterUpdate()
If Not IsNull(Me.YourDateControlName.Value) Then
  YourDateControlName.DefaultValue ="#" &  Me.YourDateControlName & "#"
End If
End Sub

For Text fields

Private Sub YourTextControlName_AfterUpdate()
If Not IsNull(Me.YourTextControlName.Value) Then
  YourTextControlName.DefaultValue = """" & Me.YourTextControlName.Value &
""""
End If
End Sub

For Numeric fields

Private Sub YourNumericControlName_AfterUpdate()
If Not IsNull(Me.YourNumericControlName.Value) Then
  YourNumericControlName.DefaultValue = Me.YourNumericControlName.Value
End If
End Sub

Answers/posts based on Access 2000/2003

Linq
11/30/2007 10:32:21 PM
That is what I am looking for.  I've was able to get the "CTR + Apostrophe
(") to work but it only works for 1 record at a time and you have to keep
doing it for each new record.

"Joy" wrote:

> Is there a way to do this so it will be automatic?
> --
> Thanks, Joy
>

> "Paul Sanguinetti" wrote:
>
> > When you hold the ctrl key and click the apostrophe key ' access copies the
> > contents of the same field from the previous record. This assumes that the
> > new record immediately follows the old record so you may have to sort the
> > source table and requery it after each time a new record is inserted. If you
> > are entering all 100 records one right after the other and the key is
> > sequential you shouldn't have to sort it.
> >
> > "sjf" wrote:
> >
> > > I am creating a a form for data entry and want to know if there is a way to
> > > repeat data in fields from the previous record (or default to previous
> > > record).  For example, I user has 100 entries - I would like to set up the
> > > form so they do not have to enter their ID each time they enter a record.
Glad it helped!

Answers/posts based on Access 2000/2003

Linq

Repeating cell-contents
A1 contains "Smith" A53 contains "Jones" A459 contains "Smith" A1072 contains "Peterson" A23405 contains "Smith" A45234 contains "Samantha" What formula can I use to put: "Smith" in B1 thru B52 blanks in B53 thru B458 "Smith" in B459 thru B1071 blanks in A1072 thru B23404 "Smith" in A23405 thru B45233 blanks in A45234 thru A65536 Thanks, Gary Hi Gary try the following: In B1 enter =A1 in B2 enter =IF(A2="",B1,IF(B1="",A2,"")) and ...

Merging data on both side of a sheet
I print reminder postcards 4-up on 8.5 x 11" sheet. (I am using the postcard page layout.) I need to be able to use the same data base and print one side with the client's name, address, etc. Then run the cards through a second time and print the back of the card with reminder information. When I do so, Mrs. Smith's reminder information will end up on the back of Mrs. Jones' card because I have no way of controlling the order of the cards. Is there any way to accomplish this? Thanks!! You need to setup your data differently. Maybe two data bases. There are formulas...

Counting data #2
Hi all I would like to count data relating to different columns but also i this data matches certain cells. A1 to A10 = Areas B1 to B10 = names D1 = Area D2 = Name The formula should count the names only if they relate to the area an name data in column D. Many thanks Joe -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com =SUMPRODUCT((A1:A10=D1)*(B1:B10=D2)) HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- >Hi all > >I would like to count data relating to different columns but also if >this data matches certain cells. > >A1 to A10 = Areas >B1 to B10...

filter a form using a seperate form.
I can creat a search field on a form to filter records based on a certain field data. I would like to be able to do this on two different forms, meaning my search button will be on a different form than the one it applys filter to. I do not know how to reference the form I need to apply filter to. Can some one give me an idea. I just need a simple example. Regards. -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access/200708/1 To reference another form's Filter property: Forms!FormName.Form.Filter = "?" Once you set the Filter property y...

Migrating notes records
Using Data Migration Manager I have uploaded 68000+ notes to CRM 4. However all notes show a creation date of 5/10/2008. Even more strangely, I have found that the AnnotationBase table contains the correct dates from the import file in the CreatedOn field, but has not set the OverriddenCreatedOn field. The server was built a few months ago, but certainly not in October 2008 - anyone have ideas as to how I can persuade CRM to recognise the values in CreatedOn? ...

Data points going from axis to axis
Without necessarily deleting the chart and then recreate a whole new chart, how can I get the data points to revert back to being in the center of all columns rather than equally spaced starting from the left axis to the right axis? This issue was brought about by way of using the Area method for one of the data series, but went attempting to revert back, it doesn't go back to the original line data format as described above? It goes back to the line, but the data points are not at the same places. -- Ronald R. Dodge, Jr. Production Statistician/Programmer Master MOUS 2000 Hi, Try ...

Stacking Data??
if I have data like this A B C D... 1 Type\Date 01/10/04 02/10/04 03/10/04... 2 T-X 100 50 100 3 T-Y 50 70 0 4 T-Z 400 0 400 ... .. ...

Reverse PTR record for client moving to new ISP
Hi, I just picked up a client who moved his SBS 2003 (using SMTP for mail) network from his home to a office. At his house he had Brighthouse networks with a static IP. Due to the move he changed ISPs to CenturyLink with a static IP. I found his DNS was hosted by GoDaddy and changed the MX and "A" records to reflect the new static IP. Looking at GoDaddy DNS manager his domain is alalpert.com. I also found out another domain is involved - smartofficesolutions.com Mail forwarding is setup from smartofficesolutions.com (Site is hosted by another company in anothe...

Printing a Repeated Section Messege like "Continued"
Setting the repeated section property in a report (Access 2007) to Yes, writes the section Heading on the next page when the detail section is not complete at the page break. I would like the bottom of the first page to print "Continued on Next Page" and/or the top of the second page to say "Continued from ...)" so the report reader knows the details are part of the previous section on the previous page, and not in an entriely new section of the report. Can this be done dynamically in a report, since some pages naturally break when a section ends and other pag...

Repeating rows dont repeat fully when columns also repeat
I am repeating rows 1 through 4 and columns A through D. At least that is what I'm trying to do. On page two, the columns repeat but then the rows do not (beyond columns A through D). Is there a way to make it so that they both repeat? In re-reading the above, I'm not sure I'm making myself clear. Assume that XX's represent the repeating rows and ZZ's represent the repeating columns. This is what I'd like to see: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX ZZZZZZZZZZZ YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY ZZZZZ...

Cannot Read CAB Data
when i click on a link in an email message in outlook 2002 ...

qry for Excel report with weekly data in a vertical column
tblArea AreaID area tblHeadEnd HeadEndID AreaID headend tblRouter RouterID HeadEndID router tblPorts PortID RouterID tblTransmitter TransmitterID PortID transmitter PortID RouterID tblNodes NodeID transmitterID tblNodeNamesID NodeID ParentNodeName date created tblUtilization utilID NodeID percentage Date The report shows weekly utilization data for an ISP. This structure is 1:M in the areas to the headend. The headend has 1:m routers, each router has 1:M ports. The transmitter can have either 1:1 to nodes or 1:M . The nodeNames table is for th...

Outlook plugin causes data file not to close properly
On a fairly regular basis we get a message when opening Outlook that the data did not close properly and needs checking. This then grinds the PC to a halt whilst it checks the data file but it never reports anything. This has only started happening since the CRM 4.0 Outlook client was installed. I have run rollup 1 but this has not solved the problem. Does anyone recognise this issue? I have the same problem. My Outlook is just now checking the data file, and I should be reading the emails already... It's not so bad for me as my data file is not that big (less than 1 G), but we hav...

random numbers, how can you utilize it without repeating them
How can you use random numbers without repeating them on a worksheet? The way it is set up now is, example: =RANDBETWEEN(1,8) I would like to be able to use the random between but I don't want the numbers to repeat themselves within the worksheet. Any suggestions or Ideas? http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/randint.html -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom (No private emails please) "RS" <RS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:75427E72-3EAA-4105-A65B-53F0F1213414@microsoft.com... > How can you use random numbers without repeating them on a worksheet? The >...

Error when saving data
On any window where I've saved data I get pop-up window that says, "Microsoft Dynamics CRM has encountered an error." I am using Outlook 2007 with the CRM 4 add-in. If I click to view the error information, I get another window with this information about the error. <ScriptErrorDetails> <Message>Library not registered. </Message> <Line>40</Line> <URL>/activities/serviceappointment/edit.aspx?pId={C023E98B-002B-DE11-A601-0019B977CDFD}&pType=112&pName=GP%20reports%20won%27t%20print&partyid={7C572B45-17AF-DC11-AC79-0003FF02A2...

Auto change of data in a cell like a Slide show in ppt
Dear All, Recently I have seen a exccel file. In that data of cell (contains proverbs & quotation's) were auto changing to a new one with a time interval of 45 to 60 secs. How is it possible to change a data in a cell automatically. Is it possible? -- Regards It is possible using VBA OnTime code. See Chip Pearson's site for instructions and code. http://www.cpearson.com/excel/OnTime.aspx You would need a list of the proverbs on a sheet and call them up in turn using the OnTime code. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 20:59:01 -0700, Vital_ar ...

How do I change the width of the data validation list box?
I use data validation to select data entries. The width of the list box is different in some worksheets. How do I control the width to expand when there is longer text in the list range? That box's width is determined by the width of the cell that has the Data|Validation. Can you widen the column? Can you (ugh) merge some cells? Davy Lawson wrote: > > I use data validation to select data entries. The width of the list box is > different in some worksheets. How do I control the width to expand when there > is longer text in the list range? -- Dave Peterson Or, if you ...

Excel 97 65K record barrier in Excel 2007
I run reports out of IBI Focus and save them in an xls (Excel 97) format. When I save the data out of Focus, it can save more than 65K records in the XLS format, but since Excel 97 only has the capability of 65K records, only the first 65K records would be read. The company recently installed Excel 2007 which now will allow over 1 Meg of records. When I try to bring the XLS file into Excel 2007 in the 97 xls format, it still only reads 65K records. How can I read the 97 Excel Format in Excel 2007 and bring more than 65K records across? Thanks In Excel2007, save as "normal" Exce...

Backup Data
Blanket broadcast to anyone. Just got a new machine that has MS Money 03. Old machine had same. Tried to download backup from older machine to new machine but couldn't get a restore. Anyone have any ideas? In microsoft.public.money, cbauer wrote: >Blanket broadcast to anyone. Just got a new machine that >has MS Money 03. Old machine had same. Tried to >download backup from older machine to new machine but >couldn't get a restore. Anyone have any ideas? What did you try, and what happened as a result? Try simply copying the backup file from the old machine...

Getting all records with same name passed from a textbox
Hello, How do i get all records based on the name a customer enters in a textbox from a form Let say in the query i do %betty% - this will return all records with betty partly in it. I am trying to replicate the same based on a value passed from the form How do i get the same result using Like ([Forms]![Main]![txt_exis_pt_name]) - this gives me only one record how do i replicate the same result which gives me all records like when i did %betty% from query design? Thanks for your help. Try: Like * & ([Forms]![Main]![txt_exis_pt_name]) & * That might jus...

Pulling data from website based on cell value
Ok, I'm not sure if my Subject is clear, because I am not entirely sure what is involved in what I want to do. Bare with me, I'll try to explain myself as clear as possible. :) I downloaded a spreadsheet used for analyzing investments. It had a cool feature that I want to duplicate for myself. In the spreadsheet, you would input the company's stock symbol, hit a button, and then certain worksheets would be updated with income statment, balance sheet data from MSN's investment site. I have tried duplicating this, only to realize I haven't a clue how it is done. I can c...

Data wont sort
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC After the latest update 12.1.9 I keep getting the message "This operation requires the merged cells to be identically sized" on a spreadsheet that I never had problems with sorting in the past. I have checked that all column entries fit within the columns. Don't know why it just happened. In article <59b769cf.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw>, josch10@officeformac.com wrote: > Version: 2008 > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) > Processor: Power PC > > After the latest update 12.1.9...

repeating cells in footer in excel
I need prepare a form with many lines. In this form I need to provide a footer (with a group of cells) for approvement. Even I can select cells to repeat in every page header there is no such a feature for footers. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http:...

Help with MX and SPF records
Have a new Exchange 2003 Server setup as part of a Small Business Server 2003 system. Do I need to have an MX and SPF record in DNS on this server? If so, what is the best way to set one up, examples please. I am new to Excange. Thanks. When I run ordb.org against my domain everything passes except I do not have an SPF record. - Create an A record if you don't already have one. This maps a hostname (mail.mydomain.com) to an IP address. - Create an MX record that points to the A record you created above with priority of 10. - Test both using nslookup nslookup -querytype=mx my...

Repeats
On one of my worksheets I type the day of the week in the first column, followed by the date in the second column etc. Since the current entry is in line 3,675th when I typed the first letter of the day the rest was completed automatically. E.g. If I typed M then onday followed, as were entries of the same gist in other columns, when the first word of the information was typed. Suddenly this stopped. Why I have no idea, but would appreciate if someone told me how to restore this time and typing savings. Thanks! Tools>Options>Edit, check that Enable Autocomplete for Cell Values i...