Remove CAPS

I have a text box in a form called Description.  I do not want users to be
able to enter in here with all CAPS.  They have been instructed, but there
are still a few that occasionaly forget.  I played around with the < and > in
Format, but the description can be fairly long and using these will cut off
some of the info.

Is there any other code that will remove the CAPS if entered that way?
However, I would prefer for it to keep the CAP in the beginning of a sentence.

Thank you!

ladybug

On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 12:44:37 GMT, "ladybug via AccessMonster.com"
<u21071@uwe> wrote:

One possibility would be in the control's AfterUpdate event:
Me.Description.Value = StrConv(Me.Description.Value, vbProperCase)
or perhaps:
Me.Description.Value = UCase$(Left$(Me.Description.Value ,1)) &
LCase$(Mid$(Me.Description.Value ,2)
Often these exercises become counter-productive since some sentences
naturally have some capitalization.

How about testing for all uppercase in the control's BeforeUpdate
event:
if ucase$(Me.Description.Value)=Me.Description.Value then
  msgbox "Yo! Not all uppercase!", vbCritical
  Cancel = true  'forces them to change it.
end if

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP

>I have a text box in a form called Description.  I do not want users to be
>able to enter in here with all CAPS.  They have been instructed, but there
>are still a few that occasionaly forget.  I played around with the < and > in
>Format, but the description can be fairly long and using these will cut off
>some of the info.
>
>Is there any other code that will remove the CAPS if entered that way?
>However, I would prefer for it to keep the CAP in the beginning of a sentence.
>

>Thank you!
0
Tom
6/2/2010 2:02:31 PM
The first suggestion will not work because as you said it will remove the
uppercase in the text where it should actually exist (beginning of sentence).
The second could work, but I know the users will have an issue with having to
retype the whole thing over when they get that error at the very end.

I really need this to only update the text to lowercase in a report.  Is
there some code I can put in the Text Box Description in the report to just
remove all the CAPS, except for in the beginning of sentences?

Tom van Stiphout wrote:
>One possibility would be in the control's AfterUpdate event:
>Me.Description.Value = StrConv(Me.Description.Value, vbProperCase)
>or perhaps:
>Me.Description.Value = UCase$(Left$(Me.Description.Value ,1)) &
>LCase$(Mid$(Me.Description.Value ,2)
>Often these exercises become counter-productive since some sentences
>naturally have some capitalization.
>
>How about testing for all uppercase in the control's BeforeUpdate
>event:
>if ucase$(Me.Description.Value)=Me.Description.Value then
>  msgbox "Yo! Not all uppercase!", vbCritical
>  Cancel = true  'forces them to change it.
>end if
>
>-Tom.
>Microsoft Access MVP
>
>>I have a text box in a form called Description.  I do not want users to be
>>able to enter in here with all CAPS.  They have been instructed, but there
>[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]
>>
>>Thank you!

ladybug
6/2/2010 7:23:03 PM
On Wed, 02 Jun 2010 19:23:03 GMT, "ladybug via AccessMonster.com"
<u21071@uwe> wrote:

I already showed you that:
UCase$(Left$(Me.Description.Value ,1)) &
LCase$(Mid$(Me.Description.Value ,2)
If you look at it closely this capitalizes the first character and
converts the rest to lowercase.
Again, I wouldn't do this because some sentences naturally have upper
case letters in the non-first position.

-Tom.
Microsoft Access MVP

>The first suggestion will not work because as you said it will remove the
>uppercase in the text where it should actually exist (beginning of sentence).
>The second could work, but I know the users will have an issue with having to
>retype the whole thing over when they get that error at the very end.
>
>I really need this to only update the text to lowercase in a report.  Is
>there some code I can put in the Text Box Description in the report to just
>remove all the CAPS, except for in the beginning of sentences?
>
>Tom van Stiphout wrote:
>>One possibility would be in the control's AfterUpdate event:
>>Me.Description.Value = StrConv(Me.Description.Value, vbProperCase)
>>or perhaps:
>>Me.Description.Value = UCase$(Left$(Me.Description.Value ,1)) &
>>LCase$(Mid$(Me.Description.Value ,2)
>>Often these exercises become counter-productive since some sentences
>>naturally have some capitalization.
>>
>>How about testing for all uppercase in the control's BeforeUpdate
>>event:
>>if ucase$(Me.Description.Value)=Me.Description.Value then
>>  msgbox "Yo! Not all uppercase!", vbCritical
>>  Cancel = true  'forces them to change it.
>>end if
>>
>>-Tom.
>>Microsoft Access MVP
>>
>>>I have a text box in a form called Description.  I do not want users to be
>>>able to enter in here with all CAPS.  They have been instructed, but there
>>[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]
>>>
>>>Thank you!
0
Tom
6/3/2010 4:04:01 AM
ladybug,
    I don't think you'll find a perfect solution to this problem.
    Proper, and Ucase provide some functionality, but they can not
properly handle all real world Caps/Lowercase requirements...
particularly in "sentence" type text.
    I am unaware of any application that can properly convert
random, all caps sentences/words to correct Upper/Lower case text.

    In this case, I think your best bet is to make some warning text visible
when users enter the field.  Something like a label ("Do not use all caps!")
made visible, and flashing for just a second or two... on the field's
OnEnter event.  A message box is a bit intrusive, but just some
flashing text for a moment, should be sufficient.
    If not, then you have a "user" problem... not a design" problem.

    I think this is a case of... "It's better to prevent a problem from
happening, than to try to code around it."
    You have responsibilities as a developer, but the users have
responsibilities too.
--
    hth
    Al Campagna

"ladybug via AccessMonster.com" <u21071@uwe> wrote in message
> The first suggestion will not work because as you said it will remove the
> uppercase in the text where it should actually exist (beginning of
> sentence).
> The second could work, but I know the users will have an issue with having
> retype the whole thing over when they get that error at the very end.
>
> I really need this to only update the text to lowercase in a report.  Is
> there some code I can put in the Text Box Description in the report to
> just
> remove all the CAPS, except for in the beginning of sentences?
>
> Tom van Stiphout wrote:
>>One possibility would be in the control's AfterUpdate event:
>>Me.Description.Value = StrConv(Me.Description.Value, vbProperCase)
>>or perhaps:
>>Me.Description.Value = UCase$(Left$(Me.Description.Value ,1)) &
>>LCase$(Mid$(Me.Description.Value ,2)
>>Often these exercises become counter-productive since some sentences
>>naturally have some capitalization.
>>
>>How about testing for all uppercase in the control's BeforeUpdate
>>event:
>>if ucase$(Me.Description.Value)=Me.Description.Value then
>>  msgbox "Yo! Not all uppercase!", vbCritical
>>  Cancel = true  'forces them to change it.
>>end if
>>
>>-Tom.
>>Microsoft Access MVP
>>
>>>I have a text box in a form called Description.  I do not want users to
>>>be
>>>able to enter in here with all CAPS.  They have been instructed, but
>>>there
>>[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]
>>>
>>>Thank you!

Al

Remove Excel Icon ??

Removal

Remove lines with +++

How to Remove SRS

remove Fax from address book?

Removing an item from menu

Need to remove selected characters

Remove deduction code from payroll stub

Removing password protection on a sheet

How to Remove Yahoo toolbar

Adding and removing removable drives

Removing Synchronised Contacts
We've a number of client pcs that have been installed with the Outlook Client pointing to a user acceptance test (UAT) system. The Outlook client has synchronized CRM contacts into their Outlook Contacts folder. How can we remove the UAT contacts? I tried to do a Find in Outlook to find the CRM specific contacts, but you don't seem to be able to find the CRM user defined fields? Strange. Any thoughts? You can see the custom CRM fields on an contact view. Choose a contact view that lists the records in a table form, such as 'Phone List'. Then, choose to customize ...

Remove & Reinstall Outlook 2003
Outlook 2003 came bundled in Microsoft Office XP Professional on my new computer. Can anyone tell me how to remove and reinstall Outlook 2003? Thanks. J J Kendel <jkendel2002@yahoo.com> wrote: > Outlook 2003 came bundled in Microsoft Office XP > Professional on my new computer. Really? 2003? Office XP typically includes Outlook 2002. >Can anyone tell me how to remove and reinstall Outlook >2003? Go to Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs. Find Office and click "Change". Remove the Outlook part. Reboot. Go back to that point and add it back in again. -...

how to remove print option in a particular excel file
how to remove print option in a particular excel file You can do this Copy this event in the Thisworkbook module Private Sub Workbook_BeforePrint(Cancel As Boolean) Cancel = True End Sub If you want to remove the print icon post back -- Regards Ron de Bruin http://www.rondebruin.nl "excel" <excel@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C7859E37-2534-4E83-8F71-B9C3CF5C37BA@microsoft.com... > how to remove print option in a particular excel file ...

Removing BINS
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_0072_01CA379C.F0CAF860 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have some thousand of BINS; creating so many problems while doing the = cycle counts because they have zero Qty. on Hand and Zero Beginning = Qty.. when I do the scheduling, I get hundreds of page of report with = zero on hand data. Now as per KB 874145, if there is ZERO on-hand and there is no un-posted = TRX and these bins are not assigned default BINS, these can be deleted. = Guess. No I have use...

User removed from Webport folder access
Hi, Whenever a report is published to Webport, some users would be automatically removed from folders which they have previously been granted access. In every of these cases, we have to delete the user ID, create them again, then assign them to the folders. Does anyone know what's the cause of this problem, and how we can rectify it without having to re-create the user ID, or to prevent this from happening in the first place? We are using Webport 6.5 with Great Plains 7.5 on Windows 2000 SP4. Thanks in advance! ...

Event when removable drived added/removed
Is there an event that I can subscribe to, to get notified when a removable drive is added or removed? Thanks LS "Lloyd Sheen" <a@b.c> wrote in news:#Xols58hKHA.3792@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl: > Is there an event that I can subscribe to, to get notified when a > removable drive is added or removed? Assume all removables are USB today. :-) Start here: http://www.codeproject.com/KB/system/DriveDetector.aspx This is a wrapper project for the Windows libraries that work with these drives. Peace and Grace, -- Gregory A. Beamer (MVP) Twitter...

Removing records
I want to remove all records with the same identifier between the earliest date and the latest date so I'm left with 2 records only per identifier. Currently file looks like this; ID DATE 41491 10-Feb-03 41491 10-Feb-03 41491 7-Apr-03 41491 7-Apr-03 41491 6-Jun-03 41491 6-Jun-03 41492 10-Feb-03 41492 4-Apr-03 41494 17-Feb-03 41494 28-Apr-03 41497 7-Mar-03 41497 7-Mar-03 41497 1-Apr-03 41497 1-Apr-03 41499 17-Mar-03 41499 17-Mar-03 I want it to end up looking like this; 41491 10-Feb-03 41491 6-Jun-03 41492 10-Feb-03 41492 4-Apr-03 41494 17-Feb-03 41494 28-Apr-03 41497 7-Mar-03 4149...

In Publisher, how do I remove part of a column line in a calendar
Using 2003 version and the fullpage monthly calendar template. I want to be able to use the undated boxes as a note area so want to get rid of the column lines for those boxes only With your cursor in the cell, lines, more lines. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com http://officebeta.iponet.net/en-us/publisher/FX100649111033.aspx "bettyann" <bettyann@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:685663C4-FAF7-40D9-831F-4AD9473FE0AA@microsoft.com... > Using 2003 version and the fullpage monthly cale...

Setting and removing imagelist in CListCtrl
I am trying to figure out how to set, replace and remove an imagelist for a CListCtrl at runtime. If, during the creation of the CListCtrl, I set an imagelist, using SetImageList(), I am able to remove it using RemoveImageList(). But, the list control appears to still leave some space between the edge of the control and text items for an image of some kind (in report mode). Also, after removing the image, I am not able to re-set it. If I do not set an imagelist when creating the control, the text items appear next to the left edge of the control (in report mode). But, I am not able to...

How do I remove hyperlink if 'remove' option is disabled
The worksheet is most likely protected. Unprotect it from the Tools menu. Helpful advice here... http://www.cpearson.com/excel/newposte.htm -- Jim Cone San Francisco, USA http://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftware (Excel Add-ins / Excel Programming) "Vipul" wrote in message This is where his message should have gone ...