Object or class does not support the set of events Error

This post is for anyone who has seen this problem.  I have posted a
solution below.

Situation: The error message "Object or class does not support the set
of events" occurred in my database just after I received a "database
corruption error".  The corruption error appeared right after I closed
then reopened my database.  I assumed this happened because I opened
it immediately after it crashed and I had recently set the database to
auto compact & repair on close.  MS Access asked me if I wanted to
save a backup, and I said yes.  After this, neither the original
database, nor the backup would work; getting the "Object or class does
not support the set of events" everytime.

My system setup was Access2003 and Windows Vista Home Premium. The
database was in a front end and back end configuration, error showed
up in front end only.

This is what I found:
(If you don't care about the steps I went through to isolate the
problem, go to #6)

1. All my queries had detached themselves from my tables. All the
fields in the queries were prefaced with Expr 1, Expr 2, Expr3,
etc...   I cleaned up all the queries and resaved them.  The queries
worked when run independently (outside the form), but not when
attached to the form.

2. Looked at my references.  I unchecked them, saved the database,
then reopened and rechecked the references.  Then closed and reopened
the database, and still received the error.

3. Read everything I could on newsgroups to try to solve it.
Recommendation was to create a new database and load all objects in
via import.  Did compact/repair.  The compact/repair was successful.
But the error still showed up just about everytime I loaded a form.
It was also recommended by someone in the newsgroups to SaveAs Text
all the offending forms, then reload them to their original state in a
new database.  Since almost ALL my forms were showing this error, I
chose not to do this.

4. I finally isolated the problem.  Any time there is a call to an VBA
event, the error would arise.  Removing all VBA code from a form
allowed the form to load properly, unfortunately, all functionality
programmed with the VBA was gone.  Not an acceptable solution.

5. Next I created a new blank database and made a simple form (no
table/query attached) and wrote one line of code behind the OnOpen
event: "Msgbox "Does this code work?".  On opening the new form I
received the "Object or class does not support the set of events"
error again.  NOTE: This was a new database with only one form
object.  It had none of my "corrupted" database in it.

6.  Deleted MS Access from my computer, and reinstalled it and
downloaded the latest service packs.  I next ran my old database
and ... it worked perfectly.

The problem was not the database I created, but something within MS
Access itself had become corrupted.

I am not saying this is the only way to get rid of this error, but it
after expending all my available options, this worked for me.

I hope this helps in trouble shooting and saves you some time.

Don

0
Don

"Don Barton" <DonaldB627@gmail.com> wrote in message

In most cases, after a Dr. Watson crash (that is the do you want to send
this error report to Microsoft), the solution that works is to simply
de-compile the database.

I STRONGLY suggest you try that next time....

virtually ANYTIME I receive a dr. Watson error, I enter my database, (hold
down shift key to prevent any startup code).

I then do  compact and repair. then exit...

Then do a de-compile. (and, then exit again).

Now, compact repiar (again, don't let ANY startup code run).

Now, ctrl-g....compile database.

When you receive a Dr. Watson error, you really need to de-compile at that
point, as the database is OFTEN damaged.

Since I use de-compile when this occurs, it a good idea to use the following
registry enter to allow a context (right click) de-compile and compact
option for mdb files.

You can find the registry hack here:

http://www.mvps.org/access/modules/mdl0039.htm

You have to modify he above for office 11 before you install it...

And, the mention of de-compile can be found here:

http://www.trigeminal.com/usenet/usenet004.asp

I noted that VERY often after a Dr. Watson error, the code is corrupted, and
a de-compile is near must do when this occurs...

--
Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

0
Albert
9/24/2007 2:06:30 AM
On Sep 23, 8:06 pm, "Albert D. Kallal" <PleaseNOOOsPAMmkal...@msn.com>
wrote:
> "Don Barton" <DonaldB...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
> In most cases, after a Dr. Watson crash (that is the do you want to send
> this error report to Microsoft), the solution that works is to simply
> de-compile the database.
>
> I STRONGLY suggest you try that next time....
>
> virtually ANYTIME I receive a dr. Watson error, I enter my database, (hold
> down shift key to prevent any startup code).
>

> I noted that VERY often after a Dr. Watson error, the code is corrupted, and
> a de-compile is near must do when this occurs...
>
> --
> Albert D. Kallal    (Access MVP)
> Edmonton, Alberta Canada
> pleaseNOOSpamKal...@msn.com

Hi Albert,
In reviewing my notes, I did do a decompile/recompile, but not
immediately.  I use a little .bat file I keep handy to do this.  I
didn't include it in my description above, which I should of, because
it didn't seem to make a difference at the time.  What was surprising
to me was the fact that even starting over with a brand new database
with only a single form and only one line of code, I still recevied
the error, so I concluded that something had happened with the Access
program itself.  I had several backups of the same database before the
corruption, and they had the same error also when I tried to run
them.  I agree with you that if a decompile/compile of the database
would had fixed it, that is much better than unintalling/installing
Access.
In my case though, this seemed to be the only thing that corrected the
problem.

Don

0
Don

Set up WLMail in a second user accountI am
I have a HP Laptop running Windows 7 Premium. I have been able to set up WLMail on my own user(administrator) account, and can send and receive emails on my tiscali email account. I have tried to set up WLMail for a second user acount, using a different username on the same tiscali email account, that worked fine with Outlook Express on Windows XP, but I get the message"Windows Internet Explorer. Could not perform this operation because default mail client is not properly installed". I am doing something wrong, but I have no idea what it is. HELP. ...

Objects duplicated
If a workbook consists of Objects: Sheet1, Sheet2, This Workbook.... What would cause Excel to duplicate these objects in the same workbook. Somehow, I now have to sets of objects in the same workbook that are exactly the same. ...

cannot shift objects off sheet, but also cannot find objects
Trying to hide columns gives error "cannot shift objects off sheet." Try as I might, I cannot find any objects in or near the offending columns; indeed, there are no objects on the entire sheet. I went to Tools>Options>View>Objects and selected "Show All," but still nothing appears. An easier way to see if there are any objects on a sheet is through F5-Special. Cell comments are objects too. Do you have any of them? -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "danielo" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:0cff01c47b0d$f5a72620$a601280...

crmdeletionservice error in CRM1.2
Hi there I have this error a lot. I have read this article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/898655/EN-US/ But even after rollup2 the error is there? Any suggestions? Thanks Steen Pedersen ...

How to record which objects a user clicks on
Hi, New to the forums here. I would like to know how to track which objects a user clicks during a powerpoint presentation. I realize this will probably require a macro and that is where I need help. I'm fairly tech savvy, but I don't know how to program in VB. Whenever there is a mouseclick on an object in the slideshow, I would like two things to happen: 1) Advance to a particular slide (which I see can be set easily in the program) 2) Write data, to a separate file (it can be a text file), that reports which object was clicked. This would happen in the background so t...

Annoying ODBC error
Hi, I hope that someone has an idea on this one because I am ready to tea my hair out. I have some data in an Access database from which I query within Excel From time to time, when I have completed the necessary task within M Query and selected to return the data to Excel, there is a pause afte which I get an error message as follows: "[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver]Invalid character value fo cast specification on column number 20 (200402)" Column 20, with the heading "200402" is a value within the Access quer representing the month which the data relates to,...

Error setting SelectedValue
We have a situation that is a little strange. We have a DropDownList which has 8 items the values are 0-7. If we do: cboLocation.Selected = "0"; This works the first time but the second time we do that we get an error: "'cboLocation' has a SelectedValue which is invalid because it does not exist in the list of items.\r\nParameter name: value" In the debugger, you can see that all the values are still there (including "0"). Now if I change the value to "3", I can do it 10 times and no error. If I change it back to "...

Problem With Opening Embedded Object After Turning On "Track Chang
In order to use the routing function, I'm using company forms created in excel. On another tab, I've embedded "as icon objects" any supporting material created in Word. This works great, as recipients can double-click these icon objects and launch the documents in Word to view them. The problem occurs when I decided to add "Track Changes" to the files I am routing. When this is done, the icon objects still appear but can no longer be double-clicked. The online documentation in excel indicateds that you can't insert any embedded objects after "T...

How do I group objects and Word Art in Publisher?
I am creating a button and have our company logo along with a slogan that I put in Word Art. I would like to group these two items together so it will be easier to move around as one object. I have tried using the "select object" tool and it will not let me group them. It just moves my objects around and not as a group. I don't quite understand. Do you have a border around your page? If so send it to the back and try selecting your logo and WordArt again. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Fal...

Event Handler
Hello, I use an COM server that creates a number of events. I have created a class that controls the COM server and that receives the events, it's called LaserCtrl. This works! I have a form that uses LaserCtrl and I want to update a textbox in the form from LaserCtrl. The constructor of LaserCtrl looks like this private TextBox msg; public LaserCtrl(TextBox m) { msg = m; } From a normal method in LaserCtrl this works perfectly msg.Text = "my nice message"; BUT from the EventHandler method nothing happens...

Need to hide the error
Hi ... I guess this is always going to be a problem fo me. So sorry for asking for help like this many times. I have this formula here: =SUMPRODUCT(ROUND(F8*4,0)/4) that keeps giving me this "#VALUR!" error when nothing is being entered, of course this can be very annoying when presented and I want to know if anyone can help me, and actualy explain to me how it was done. Just a little info since I really want to tackle this problem on my own next time. Thanks again in advance. I really appreciate it. Koji Hi first you don't need SUMPRODUCT for this formula. The followin...

Insert Object File path when attaching OLE Objects
When attaching a note and click on the paper clip, I go to Edit Insert New Object to attach a word document or an excel file. When I select 'Insert New Object' the Insert Object screen opens and I select the Create from File option. The path showing there is the path where GP is installed, in my case - c:\Program Files\Microsoft Dynamics\GP\. Is there a way I can change this default path? Maria, I am afraid this path defaults from the location of your DEX.INI file, which in the case of GP 9, can be found typically under the GP root folder, in the case of GP 10, under the GP...

xml serialization of a class and adding qualified namespace #3
I am successfully serializing to XML from a class like this: private static void CreateXML() { testClass c = new testClass(); c.stringElement = "data1"; c.stringElement2 = "data2"; subClassDataType s = new subClassDataType(); s.subThingElement1 = "data3"; s.subThingElement2 = "data4"; c.subThing = s; XmlSerializer mySerializer = new XmlSerializer(typeof(testClass)); System.IO.StreamWriter myWriter = new System.IO.StreamWriter("test3.xml"); mySerializer.Serialize(myWriter, c); } My class definitions are as follows: [Serializable] [System.X...

windows mail error message 08-26-10
i cannot send and recieve mail and keep getting the same error message posted below any ideas?? The host 'pop.orangehome.co.uk' could not be found. Please verify that you have entered the server name correctly. Account: 'pop.orangehome.co.uk', Server: 'pop.orangehome.co.uk', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 11001, Error Number: 0x800CCC0D The server pop.orangehome.co.uk is alive and well. The fact that your computer can't find it indicates a DNS lookup = problem. Try rebooting. However, several others have reported...

NDR Event logs 3018 & 3030
Although diagnostic logging for NDR is set to none under the MSExchangeTransport category in Exchange 2003, I still get some event logs 3018 or 3030. Any idea how to get rid of them? These events relate to public folder replication. Check your logging levels under MSExchangeIS\Public Folder -- Tyrone Cowart Microsoft PSS Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup purposes only. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Claude Wacker" <bcdwacker@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:4d54ffb9.040122...

Turn off object theme colors
I have a presentation with a number of objects (mainly simple shapes like circles and squares) that have powerpoint theme colors. I now want to copy and paste them into another Powerpoint that has a different theme. I of course don't want the colors to change. Other than going into each object and changing the color into a customized color, is there any way I can get these objects in using their original color - not tied to the theme? Hi When you paste the objects into the other presentation you'll get a little clipboard in the bottom right hand corner - click on ...

Settings Icon disappearing
I've noticed that when I'm logged in (perms = System Customizer) with the web client, I can see "Settings" but after I start the Outlook client on my workstation, and do a refresh, the Settings option disappears. Anyone else seeing this? Is this a bug? Thanks - Daniel As far as I can tell, this is "by design" but I am at a loss as to why. Apparently if you have the Outlook client open you lose the ability to see settings, but what's worse in my case you also lose the ability to delete records even if you have the appropriate permissions. It's t...

Error Removing MS Exchange Server 2003
"A problem has been encountered in the Microsoft Exchange Messaging and Collaboration Services setup component. Canceling setup." This error occurs when I try to remove the program. This program is not needed and was installed for experimental purposes only. Now I cannot remove it. It halts on the MS Exchange Messaging and Collaboration Services component, and gives the above errors, then rolls back the removal. The program is no longer listed in Add/Remove programs, but I can access the removal feature by pretending to install it again by running setup.exe. Then I hav...

Text width in custom MessageBox Class
Hey everybody, I�ve implemented my own MessageBox class in order to display custom icons. Everything works fine, the only problem I have is to determine how much space the text will need. I know about methods like DrawText(DT_CALCRECT) and so on but therefore I need a DC which I don�t have at that point, as I have to define the window rect before the window is actually created. I have also considered using the DC of the parent�s window but that seems a bit odd to me. What�s the regular way to handle this problem? Thanks for your help Sighn Try calling the GetDC() API to get a HDC...

monthly report causes error
Hello... When I try to view the monthly reports, it starts to generate the report up to the point of "calculating the value of your assets and liabilities" then it stops and I am offered the choice of sending in an error report. Any ideas? I've had this happen once before. It is likely that Money is unhappy about one of your investment transactions. This will be hard to find. See the discussion of binary search method in http://umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=104. Try old monthly reports. If your case is like mine, the old ones will work until the month where the problem transacti...

Microsoft JScript runtime error: 'this.get_element().style' is nul
The file C: \ Program Files \ Microsoft ASP.NET \ ASP.NET 2.0 AJAX Extensions \ v1.0.61025 \ MicrosoftAjaxLibrary \ System.Web.Extensions \ 1.0.61025.0 \ MicrosoftAjaxWebForms.js contains this bit of code that is identified as problem described above. Now to solve, I've updated the scripts of this page with the version found in codeplex.com (AspNetAjaxLibraryBeta0911) ...

Expansion Server setting
I recently migrated from Exchange 5.5 to Exchange 2003. Yesterday, I removed the Ex5.5 server for good according to the instructions provided by Microsoft (Q822450). I have also stopped the ADC services and switched to Native Mode. However, when I look at the properties for groups (or what's formerly known as distribution lists), under the Expansion server setting, the old server is still there. Is there any way to get rid of that, and if yes, where can I find the instructions? If you want to know what I mean, I have a screen shot here: http://chrishch.freeshell.org/misc/advpro...

Type Mismatch error
Any idea why I am getting a "Data Type mismatch on criteria expression" error on the second line? MaxCAR = DMax("[CARNumber]", "tblCARs") LastAuditNumber = DLookup("[AuditNumber]", "tblCARs", "[CARNumber] = '" & MaxCAR & "'") Both Fields are dimensioned as Integers CARNumber is and Auto number field -- Message posted via AccessMonster.com http://www.accessmonster.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/access-formscoding/200911/1 Because you have delimited it with single quotes which represents a string. Wh...

WTL objects dependent on what runtime objects?
If I make and distribute a WTL program, what DLL's (if any) must also be present? I mean, if I make an MFC application, I assume that my installation program is also going to need to make sure that MFC42.dll and maybe a couple of other DLL's is on the target machine and up to date. What is a WTL program dependent upon? *********** Richard Lewis Haggard "Richard Lewis Haggard" <HaggardAtWorldDotStdDotCom> wrote in message news:OBcsU13uDHA.640@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > If I make and distribute a WTL program, what DLL's (if any) must also be > present? I mean...

Embed a modeless cdialog derived object into a cformview derived object
I am creating an mfc application and would like to know if this is possible at all (not very experienced with MFC). I have an SDI application with a CFormView derived object. Inside this form I want to embed a CDialog derived modeless dialog which contains controls that I want to reuse throughout the application (a few edit boxes, a couple of buttons). I'm at the point where the CFormView gets displayed, and at this moment I want to embed in it my dialog object. First of all: am I going about this the right way in trying to reuse a dialog? I tried the following code: CSelectOriginType i...