Hiding part of a Social Security Number

I have a database application that includes some privacy information for
employees. Permissions to view and/or edit are handled in code. The last four
digits of the Social Security number are used along with the first and last
names to confirm a "match" for data coming in from other systems. On the main
data input form for the employees, I want the Social Security number to
appear like:
*****1234        for all users who have permission to view the data, but
567891234         for users who have permission to edit the data when they
click on that field. Or, alternately, change to showing all digits as soon as
they start to edit the record or begin a new record. Any ideas? This is in
single form (not continuous).

What I would do is add a column in the underlying query that is the form's
recordsource:

NoPerm: "*****" & Right([SSN], 4)

Then in your form's open event determine the user permissions and show or
hide the appropriate textbox bound to that data. You want to Lock and/or
Disable that textbox so no one can even try to edit it.

Now, for the lecture. Why are you storing personal information? Is this a
payroll database? If not, you probably should not be storing it, since it is
not likely that you can secure it enough to protect it. Do not store any
personal information that is not absolutely required for your business
process.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

"Maredith" <Maredith@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have a database application that includes some privacy information for
> employees. Permissions to view and/or edit are handled in code. The last
> four
> digits of the Social Security number are used along with the first and
> last
> names to confirm a "match" for data coming in from other systems. On the
> main
> data input form for the employees, I want the Social Security number to
> appear like:
> *****1234        for all users who have permission to view the data, but
> 567891234         for users who have permission to edit the data when they
> click on that field. Or, alternately, change to showing all digits as soon
> as
> they start to edit the record or begin a new record. Any ideas? This is in
> single form (not continuous).

0
Arvin

how to search for '1 ' the number 1 and 9 blanks?
how can you search for imbedded blanks? i need to search for the number 1 followed by 9 blanks? i have tried quotes and double quotes, neither worked. I keep getting every email with the number 1 in it. "kafoland" <kafoland@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B6B9AB63-EFA9-469B-B582-B6D18F3F4111@microsoft.com... > how can you search for imbedded blanks? i need to search for the number 1 > followed by 9 blanks? i have tried quotes and double quotes, neither worked. > I keep getting every email with the number 1 in it. Searches tend to treat ...

CRM Application Security
I was hoping for advice from the community regarding information about how CRM manages application security with Active Directory. A customer is currently running a Windows NT Domain and Active Directory to support Exchange 2003, with an external trust to access mailboxes from Windows NT; primary user accounts are in Windows NT. If CRM was deployed first, and users were later migrated to Active Directory whereby SID-History was used to maintain the original SID, how would CRM behave with this scenario? I guess what I am looking for is an understanding of the SID touchpoints, how CRM ...

There is a problem with this website's security certificate
Hello, I bought an SSL certificate for my server (Windows Server 2003, IIS 6.0). Server included already a web site with SSL certificate, so I created a 2nd web site with different IP and different SSL certificate and different application pool that is running. When I try to access the 2nd web site I get a message from IE "There is a problem with this website's security certificate." If I click on option "Continue to this website (not recommended)", I get error "service unavailable" What could be the problem ? 1st web site is running without ...

Number Format #14
Is there a way I can format a number so that significant 0's and a letter are conditional? I currently use: ?0"g" ?0"s" ?0"c" - which formats like so: 100000 = 10g 00s 00c 100010 = 10g 00s 10c 1000 = 0g 10s 00c What I wish to have is a code that formats like so: 101010 = 10g 10s 10c 10000 = 10s 10 = 10c 100010 = 10g 10c Is this possible? -- LoganStallworth ------------------------------------------------------------------------ LoganStallworth's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27561 View this thre...

Hiding "0" values in pivot table

Hiding formuals in cells question

hide my name

.NET Framework 1.1 SP1 security update won't install on XP Home KB979906
Got the update yesterday but this update/patch repeatedly fails to install. I read the articles about it but see no reference to this problem let alone a solution. Thanks to all, J Tinsby [crosspost to Windows Update newsgroup] OPTION A: See the "How to obtain help" section of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979906 For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY (1-866-727-2338; and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700) in the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. There is no-charge for sup...

Hiding and Un-Hiding Data fields

How do I hide gaps in an Excel 2007 chart?

Hiding a worksheet #3

Trying to Create a Security Report in Crystal.
I am trying to create a security report using Crystal. The GP reports take to long with our 70+ companies and 200+ users. We use Advance Security and I have extracted and imported into SQL a file that contains the series names, resource names, dictionary names and type names. Now when I try to link this table to the sy02000 table I get results for reports and tables but not forms. Then I ran the following search on the sy02000 table: select * from dynamics..sy02000 where dictid = 0 and restype = 1 order by resid. The only resid's that showed up were 57... 3241 rows with the o...

VBA write macro change column with 3 number digits to 4 digits the
-- James Do you mean Sub Macro() Range("D1:D10").NumberFormat = "0000" End Sub -- Jacob "James C" wrote: > > -- > James Use the white space (here) to record details of your requirements - don't try to put it all in the message header. Pete On Jan 25, 1:51=A0pm, James C <Jam...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > -- > James Thanks for your response -- James "Jacob Skaria" wrote: > Do you mean > > Sub Macro() > Range("D1:D10").NumberFormat = "00...

Hide images when Hiding Rows

Page numbering 12-04-09
I have taken the trouble to review all the related previous posts but do not see the answer to meet my needs. I have a 7 page document which consists of a front and back cover 2 pages each and so far 3 pages of report. Page 2 is followed by a section break next page while page 5 is followed by a section break next page. In addition I also put a section break at the end of the document which I should not need. Numbering starts on page 3 as page 1 of Y which seems to work fine. However, page 4 and 5 do not display page numbers while page 6 displays page 1 of 6 and page 7 i...

Copying and numbering worksheets
I am trying to set up a new purchase ordering system using Excel. I am trying to set up a macro which will copy the master worksheet and number it as the next PO is needed. We have a separate workbook for each job and PO's are listed as XY-001, XY-002 ,... ...

how to hide an ActiveX control?

Help with inbox security
i am new to exchange and have a "simple" question.Is there a way to block a user's ability to connect to somebody's mailbox. it looks like all users can access each other. i have only limited hands on with exchange 2003. would this be a setting of exchange or AD? On Mon, 12 Dec 2005 13:05:41 -0800, UCNSB John K <UCNSB John K@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >i am new to exchange and have a "simple" question.Is there a way to block a >user's ability to connect to somebody's mailbox. it looks like all users can >access each other. i hav...

Hiding plot Area

virginmedia do not support outlook, have port numbers but no luck
I have moved to virginmedia, they now tell me that they do not support outlook only express, as I have always used outlook I do not want to change, they gave me to pop3 and smtp address and port numbers but they do not appear to work, still getting emails comming in but cannot send, can anyone help? The outlook settings are the same as those used for Outlook Express, you dont need to modify port # If you run the test accounts option it should generate a err msg if there is a problem. "bob1948" <bob1948@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:30CE77EA-...

Hiding rows with VBA
Hi all, In my sheet called "insertsheet I have this VBA: (thanks to some users of Google groups) Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range) Const nMAX As Long = 10 Dim nRows As Long Application.ScreenUpdating = False With Me With .Range("B8") If Intersect(Target(1), .Cells) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub nRows = .Value End With .Range(.Cells(1, 5), .Cells(1, _ .Columns.Count)).EntireColumn.Hidden = True .Range(Cells(1, 5), .Cells(1, _ ...

hiding rows
I have data in cells A7:DK394 which all have 0 in them until totals are added in other worksheets which then pullthrough. At the end of the week I have to Hide all rows from A7 to A394 that still have 0 in them as no totals have been added in other sheets so the customer has not posted with us. is there any way excell can recognise the cells that have no data against them and hide them automatically by pressing a button. or if they all start off hidden unhide as data is entered. Hopefully this makes sense many thanks for any help with this as again its to save me lots of...

Internet security suggestions
I am currently using Trend Micro on my Dell Laptop with Windows XP, which expires the end of January. Is there a short list of security software i should consider that might be better than Trend Micro? shareyourknowledge@hotmail.com wrote: > I am currently using Trend Micro on my Dell Laptop with Windows XP, > which expires the end of January. Is there a short list of security > software i should consider that might be better than Trend Micro? Avast. http://www.avast.com. It's free and much better at detecting viruses than Trend Micro. You can use the XP firewall. ...

Outlook-hiding recipients addresses
How do you send a mailing to a distribution list without exposing their email addresses to the other recipients? Put the DL name in the BCC field and put your own address in the TO field. anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote: > How do you send a mailing to a distribution list without > exposing their email addresses to the other recipients? ...

Hide contacts
I must hide some contacts from GAL excepted for 2 user that must to see them and select to send email. If only 2 users need a Contact, why not have them create it in their Contacts folder? -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: www.exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "MauroR" <MauroR@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DAC0E2E9-7389-49F0-8736-3B9251DBB274@microsoft.com... >I must hide some contacts from GAL excepted for 2 user that must to see >them > and select to send email. Th...