Copy Data from SubForm Field to Main Form Field

How do you tell Access to copy data from a field in a subform to a similar
field in the main form?

See www.allenbrowne.com

"ridgerunner" wrote:

> How do you tell Access to copy data from a field in a subform to a similar
> field in the main form?
Are you referring to the section entitled "Referring to Controls on a
Subform"?  Will this actually place of copy of the subform field information
into the main form report and, therefore, into the underlying main table?

"Golfinray" wrote:

> See www.allenbrowne.com
>
> "ridgerunner" wrote:
>
> > How do you tell Access to copy data from a field in a subform to a similar
> > field in the main form?
He has one there that will do exactly what you need.

"ridgerunner" wrote:

> Are you referring to the section entitled "Referring to Controls on a
> Subform"?  Will this actually place of copy of the subform field information
> into the main form report and, therefore, into the underlying main table?
>

> "Golfinray" wrote:
>
> > See www.allenbrowne.com
> >
> > "ridgerunner" wrote:
> >
> > > How do you tell Access to copy data from a field in a subform to a similar
> > > field in the main form?
I see one about duplicating an entire record, and another about referring to
a field on a sub form, but I do not see anything about copying just one field
from a subform to the main form.  I am sorry if I am overlooking this.  I
need to be able to copy the data from one field in the sub form underlying
table to the main form underlying table.

"Golfinray" wrote:

> He has one there that will do exactly what you need.
>
> "ridgerunner" wrote:
>
> > Are you referring to the section entitled "Referring to Controls on a
> > Subform"?  Will this actually place of copy of the subform field information
> > into the main form report and, therefore, into the underlying main table?
> >

> > "Golfinray" wrote:
> >
> > > See www.allenbrowne.com

This example works for me. Perhaps you can replicate/adjust it for your needs.

I have a subform that captures office visit dates.  I use a separate “log”
table (called “OfficeVisitLog”) to capture these dates so I can develop a
variety of reports.  I use the separate log table as the primary record
source for the subform.  But I still want to capture the string of dates in
one text field (size 255) in my principal table, “Persons”, for various
reasons, such as keeping a history of such dates with a person’s record after
archiving the record and deleting all date records in the OfficeVisitLog, or
when sharing the person’s record without having to include the many-to-one
log table.

The OfficeVisitLog consists of two fields, LogPersonID and OVDate.  The
LogPersonID of the log table links with the PersonID of the Persons table.

My Persons table has a field named OfficeVisitHistory .  I want the date
values in the subform to be copied to the OfficeVisitHistory field with each
date separated by a comma.  When I create my subform, I, of course, need the
OfficeVisitLog table as the record source.  But I also link the Persons table
to the log table, making sure that I place the OfficeVisitHistory field from
the Persons table into the QBE grid of the Query Window along with the OVDate
field from the OfficeVisitLog table.

In Design View of the subform, I create an AfterUpdate Event Procedure after
highlighting the subform’s date field control, named “OVDate” (same name as
the log table’s field).  That Event Procedure is a follows:

Private Sub OVDate_AfterUpdate()

'  --------------- OFFICE LOG HISTORY -------------------
'  The control named “OVDate” uses this Event Procedure to produce a log
'  history 'of office visit dates in a text field, OfficeVisitHistory, in
the Persons Table
'  with dates formatted as month-day-year.

'  Example:  10-10-07, 12-15-07, 2-20-08, 3-19-08
'  --------------------------------------------------------------------

        If IsNull(OfficeVisitHistory) Then
        OfficeVisitHistory  = Format([OVDate], "m-d-yy")

        ElseIf Not IsNull(OfficeVisitHistory) Then
        OfficeVisitHistory  = (OfficeVisitHistory) & ", " & Format([OVDate],
"m-d-yy")

        End If

        DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acRecordsMenu, 5, , acMenuVer70

End Sub

Hope this helps.
Tank

Thank you.  I will give this a try.

"Tank" wrote:

> This example works for me. Perhaps you can replicate/adjust it for your needs.
>
> I have a subform that captures office visit dates.  I use a separate “log”
> table (called “OfficeVisitLog”) to capture these dates so I can develop a
> variety of reports.  I use the separate log table as the primary record
> source for the subform.  But I still want to capture the string of dates in
> one text field (size 255) in my principal table, “Persons”, for various
> reasons, such as keeping a history of such dates with a person’s record after
> archiving the record and deleting all date records in the OfficeVisitLog, or
> when sharing the person’s record without having to include the many-to-one
> log table.
>
> The OfficeVisitLog consists of two fields, LogPersonID and OVDate.  The
> LogPersonID of the log table links with the PersonID of the Persons table.
>
> My Persons table has a field named OfficeVisitHistory .  I want the date
> values in the subform to be copied to the OfficeVisitHistory field with each
> date separated by a comma.  When I create my subform, I, of course, need the
> OfficeVisitLog table as the record source.  But I also link the Persons table
> to the log table, making sure that I place the OfficeVisitHistory field from
> the Persons table into the QBE grid of the Query Window along with the OVDate
> field from the OfficeVisitLog table.
>
> In Design View of the subform, I create an AfterUpdate Event Procedure after
> highlighting the subform’s date field control, named “OVDate” (same name as
> the log table’s field).  That Event Procedure is a follows:
>

> Private Sub OVDate_AfterUpdate()
>
> '  --------------- OFFICE LOG HISTORY -------------------
> '  The control named “OVDate” uses this Event Procedure to produce a log
> '  history 'of office visit dates in a text field, OfficeVisitHistory, in
> the Persons Table
> '  with dates formatted as month-day-year.
>
> '  Example:  10-10-07, 12-15-07, 2-20-08, 3-19-08
> '  --------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>         If IsNull(OfficeVisitHistory) Then
>         OfficeVisitHistory  = Format([OVDate], "m-d-yy")
>
>         ElseIf Not IsNull(OfficeVisitHistory) Then
>         OfficeVisitHistory  = (OfficeVisitHistory) & ", " & Format([OVDate],
> "m-d-yy")
>
>         End If
>
>         DoCmd.DoMenuItem acFormBar, acRecordsMenu, 5, , acMenuVer70
>
> End Sub
>

> Hope this helps.
> Tank

DVD Copy Pro for Mac

collect data from mail merge
If I create a mail merge in Word with some blank space for data entry, can I collect the feedbacks from returned word file, and consolidate them in excel ? Can you give a little more information about what you are trying to do. Excel is a pretty powerful tool; almost certainly you can do what you want. Ryan--- -- Ryan--- If this information was helpful, please indicate this by clicking ''Yes''. "data collection" wrote: > If I create a mail merge in Word with some blank space for data entry, can I > collect the feedbacks from returned wo...

Data labels #9
My data labels in my bar chart don't look the same after printing as they do on the screen. I try to manually move them but they still don't look the same after printing. Any thoughts? Are they embedded charts or chart sheets? If you select an embedded chart and print it, it will print as a chart sheet, and there's likely to be a fair amount of distortion. When printing and embedded chart, print the worksheet it's on. When printing a chart sheet, uncheck the setting in Tools menu > Options > Charts for Chart Sizes to Window Frame. - Jon ------- Jon Peltier, Micr...

Field can not be updated....Why?
Dear All, Why does access send me below error message "! Field can not be updated " I type some value to my field but the error message appear,I have to click OK 4 times and then the value I type is typed.And this condition occur for the first typing only then others work normally.?Any guidance? I think this error occur cause I input the data into a child table,but although the relationship is deleted, the problem still exist.Why? I use access 2000 and my form type is continuous form. I plan it to become subform.Please help.Any assist would be greatly appreciated.Thank's...

Import/copy calendar in Outlook 2003

Tab , setFocus doesn't hilite the text of the field
Hi, I have many fields that should be filled by the user. I added 2 more and I would like to change the tab order. I don't like using the numbers (after pressing Ctrl D, by clicking the fields I change the order) because I have too many fields and it takes time to do that. So I used the script, in each killFocus function I called setFocus function with the right field. The problem is that this function brings the cursor to the right field BUT it doesn't hilite the value in that field so in order to change this value I have first to hilite it. How can I hilite it by script? Th...

Copy info from one workbook to another?

Secondary Copy

Shift focus to parent subform?
A form with a subform that has a nested subform. on a certain event we: DoCmd.OpenForm ("frmMAINFORM") ' open mainform DoCmd.GoToControl "sbfrmSUBFORM1" ' goto subform DoCmd.GoToControl "ItemID" ' goto record number control DoCmd.FindRecord lngItemID ' find our record that works. Here's the problem: There is a subform on "sbfrmSUBFORM1" lets call it "sbfrmSUBFORM1-A" somtimes the user is in "sbfrmSUBFORM1-A" when the event fires. In that case, my code crashes on line 3 because there ...

local copy of mail

Outlook 2000 SP3

CDaoTableDef
I'm developing an application that uses the MicroSoft Access Jet DB engine. This is being done using C++ in VS.net. I need to change the user's db when they use the new version of the program. In particular I need to change the length of a text field in a pre-existing db without loosing the user's data. When I wanted to add a new field I used CDaoTableDef and it worked fine, but I can't locate a method to just update an existing field's properties. Any Ideas on how this can be done?? Thanks, Neil Neil if you need to alter the attributes of a tabledef object, you ...

Copy picture ossice wizard

Log data in a shared workbook
Hi all Is it possible to have a spreadsheet which logs data from anothe without over writing each other's data, even though several colleague are inputting and saving in this shared sheet at different times. Eg. Sheet 1 has various data Sheet 2 - A1,2,3, etc = first save Sheet 3 - B1,2,3, etc = second save Etc. ...for the day Cheers Joe -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Joey Would you consider writing to a CSV file? You could use VBA's text file functions to write directly to the file, but the file would still open in Excel. One advantage would be that...

create calculated field for age in pivot tables
I need to create a calculated field for Age from the birth date within a Pivot Table (Excel Office 2007). I can not create age in the data set because it is pulling directly from a data source. I tried just using the formula =INT((TODAY()- Birthday)/365.25) but received an error. Hi That won't work because you cannot use NOW() or TODAY() in PT Calculated fields or items. I think the only way you can do it (approximately) if you cannot add a field to your source data, would be to make a calculated field with the formula =2010-Year(Birthday) -- Regards Roger G...

subtotal copy and paste

form creation
Hi everybody, I am new to this forum and new to Outlook as well. I have a questio that might be rather simple. I need to create a form where the user ca enter data in fields. There are some fields in that form that othe users need to fill out. for that, the form should be sent to thos users through Outlook )as an attachment?). I have no idea on how to proceed. So any help would be greatel appreciated. Thanks a lo ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Start at ht...

Copying graphs

Copying Views

Comparing two columns of data and Highlighting the Differences
I have values (mix of text and numbers)in column A and B. Each cell value in column B is also in column A. I want to highlight (Change Fill color to Red) for example) all those cells in column A that are also present in the column B. Any help writting a Macro will be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Harapa No macro needed. Select Column A's Data. Use Format/Conditional Formatting. Change "Cell Value Is" to "Formula Is" Assuming A1 is the active cell, enter this formula: =NOT(ISERROR(MATCH(A1,$B$1:$B$500,0))) click Format, click Patterns tab, select Red fill patte...

Designing a Contact form in OL03
If one designs a custom form for contacts in OL2003 and uses that form rather than the default form, will that limit the functionality of OL2003? Does anyone know one or more good websites to teach how to design a form in OL 2003? Limit? No, the purpose of customizing forms is adding functionality (although you can of course remove functionality as well) See http://www.outlookcode.com for more information about form design in Outlook. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Properly back-up and restore your Outlook data -Creating a Permanent New ...

Import data from Parameter Query
I am trying to import data into Excel from a parameter query in Access. I keep getting a message "Too few parameters". I have tried supplying the parameter information via the filter in the import wizard but this did not work. I want to avoid removing the parameter in Access. Is there anyway around this? ...