Close inactive database

Hello All,

How Do I Close a Database Automatically on ones particular computer,
if its been Inactive for more than 10 Minutes.

I'm thinking that the procedure is to use an hidden form, that checks
a users last activity against the system clock, and if its more than
10 mins, it will close the database.

So How do i Achieve this?

any one willing to help me?

regards

Dan
0
dan

See
http://www.accessmvp.com/JConrad/accessjunkie/kickoff.html

Pieter

<dan.cawthorne@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Hello All,
>
> How Do I Close a Database Automatically on ones particular computer,
> if its been Inactive for more than 10 Minutes.
>
> I'm thinking that the procedure is to use an hidden form, that checks
> a users last activity against the system clock, and if its more than
> 10 mins, it will close the database.
>
> So How do i Achieve this?
>
> any one willing to help me?
>
> regards
>
> Dan

0
Pieter
11/22/2007 11:55:56 AM
Another good example to learn from is

http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/download3.asp?SampleName=LogUsersOffNonUse.mdb
--
Hope this helps,

Daniel Pineault

"dan.cawthorne@gmail.com" wrote:

> Hello All,
>
> How Do I Close a Database Automatically on ones particular computer,
> if its been Inactive for more than 10 Minutes.
>
> I'm thinking that the procedure is to use an hidden form, that checks
> a users last activity against the system clock, and if its more than
> 10 mins, it will close the database.
>
> So How do i Achieve this?
>
> any one willing to help me?
>
> regards
>
> Dan

On 22 Nov, 12:38, Daniel Pineault
<DanielPinea...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Another good example to learn from is
>
> http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/download3.asp?SampleName=LogUsersO...
> --
> Hope this helps,
>
> Daniel Pineault
>
> "dan.cawtho...@gmail.com" wrote:
> > Hello All,
>
> > How Do I Close a Database Automatically on ones particular computer,
> > if its been Inactive for more than 10 Minutes.
>
> > I'm thinking that the procedure is to use an hidden form, that checks
> > a users last activity against the system clock, and if its more than
> > 10 mins, it will close the database.
>
> > So How do i Achieve this?
>
> > any one willing to help me?
>
> > regards
>
> > Dan

Cheers to the both of you,  I Will have a play,
0
dan

ThisWorkbook.Close question
Please take a look at the code below: Public Sub DumbFoo ( ) ThisWorkbook.Close() Sheet1.Range("A1").Value = -1 ThisWorkbook.Save() End Sub Is it safe to assume that the code below the "ThisWorkbook.Close()" line will NOT be executed??? My question is basically: Does all VBA code stop executing once a .Close() function is called??? Thank you! I don't believe the code would execute at all because of the parentheses after Close. It would throw an error an tell you that something is missing, or type mismatch. But, if you did...

How to Enable Close(cross) button of MB_YESNO messagebox
Hi, I want to enable the close(cross) button in the right corner of YESNO message box. Can anybody tell me how to do this. Klic. "Klic" <rohit.turambekar@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1186120969.045121.287770@i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com... > I want to enable the close(cross) button in the right corner of YESNO > message box. > Can anybody tell me how to do this. Why? If there is a valid answer other than yes or no, then how about a yes/no/cancel message box in which (I would guess) the x button is equivalent to cancel. That would be more standard. Da...

Outlook closes and closes
Hi I have a strange bug. Windows XP Sp2 and outlook from office 20003 with all service packs applied. When I start outlook from windows out of standby postion, outlook immediately after the splash screen closes without reporting any errors in the eventlog or in any other log. If I start outlook the 10th time (or so) it stabilizes and does not close anymore and everything works again. info: My machine is fully patched and I am well known with keeping things healthy. Outlook.exe Version: 11.0.6353.0 Any ideas what to do? Thanks... try the detect and repair in the help menu. >----...

closing
What's the best way to close for the day? Making a backup is a given, but what about the computer? Is it better to shut everything off every day, or is it less wear and tear on the computer to leave it on all the time? Any thoughts on this would be appreciated. Craig That's a matter of preference really. Personally I always turn off my rigs at home when I'm done with them. At the store we leave most of ours on 24/7. We've done it for years with no issues. Our register must be left on as it does automatic backups to a tape drive every night. I'd set your monitors ...

trying to minimize Write Conflicts in a multi-user database
I have a multi-user Access 2003 database and lately a number of our users are running into the Write Conflict message gives them the choice to either Save Record, Copy to Clipboard or Drop Changes. The problem occurs in a tabbed form with subforms on the different pages. I have been told by several developers that one way to minimize the occurrence of the Write Conflict is to put the main form's controls into a subform and remove the Record Source from the main form. You then set Child and Master Field links in the subforms to the value returned by the record selection c...

Help
When creating or fowarding an e-mail message using outlook 2000, scrolling through my "recipients" list (contacts) causes the program to close unexpectedly. So, I click "new", click "to", switch to my "contacts" list, and as I scroll through the names, the program just closes. Is there a possibility that one of my contact records is corrupt? I have opened all of my contacts and saved them without an error. This problem developed shortly after the install of Office 2000's calender update, and basic security update. I have since fully u...

Workflow Rule -> Closing Activity
I set up a Manual Workflow Rule for Contacts to close out Holiday Season cards sent. The rule uses a condition to check for Contacts with cards sent and then Creates an Activity to add to each of the appropriate Contacts for future reference. What else do I need to do to close out all of activites rather than 1 at a time? Here is the workflow rule if that helps: if Contact.holidaycardlist = 1 then Letter: Send Holiday Card endif -- Dan W Systems Engineer Denver, CO ...

Auto-close Quotes when Closing Opportunity
We would like the ability to close an opportunity and have it ask if you want to close all the associated quotes. Right now, it says you can’t close the opp until you close all the open quotes and you have to each one of those one by one. Barring that, if we could select multiple quotes and click on a menu item (Close all selected quotes), that would be most useful. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not ...

Data file not closed properly #3
I saw several post regarding this, but none had any answers, so I starting a new post. There is also nothing in the KB about this. Since othe people are having the same problem Microsoft should take a look at it. I get the message "The data file 'Personal Folders" was not closed properly" every time I close Outlook 2003. It runs a quick check/fix and starts up fine. I am running XP pro w/ SP-2. Outlook 2003 w/ SP-1 All patches and updates are current. My notebook was just rebuilt for so I could get a clean slate for the office 2003 install, (reformat drive and new ins...

Moving MSDE databases to SQL 2000 on same server
Hi, My company runs an SBS 2003 server and has a number of third party products (backup software, virus checker, etc.) and MS products (Sharepoint) installed that each use their own MSDE installations. I am trying to move everything to SQL Server 2000, so I can then remove all these unnecessary MSDE installs and reclaim that space on the C: drive. (In the process, the databases will also be moving to a different partition.) I understand the detach and re-attach process, and also have docs for moving the system databases (master, model, msdb, tempdb), but there's something I&#...

Outlook2003 open and closed immediatly
I checked event log, nothing. And this happened when I just reboot my machine and first time tried to open Outlook, still same problem. But I found, when I double click anywhere in the Outlook Windows even it only gave me 0.5 second, then it won't close. Andy -------------------------------------------------------------- >>Look in task manager - processes, and see if multiple >>instances are running. If so, end all of them and try >>starting again. I had similar problem w/user, posted >>above. >>>>>-----Original Message----- >>>>>My O...

Simple Database
I have created a simple registration form on a very simple ExpressionWeb website. After going through numerous tutorials about static/dynamic/access/sql/mysql/ etc............I am left more confused than usual. All I'm trying to do is create a simple database that collects information entered into the form by a user which, by the way, includes the ability of the user to upload a photo of their lost pet. Despite several days of reading/research, I have yet to locate a simple tutorial that focuses on the simple project of setting up a simple database to collect the data ...

Outlook Closes After Closing an Email
When I click the 'X' to close an email after reading it, Outlook closes (or tries to close, but I get a warning because I have templates in my Outbox). This only seems to happen when I close a new email. I have Outlook 2003. Thank you. ...

Multiple queries require many logins to same database
I have several Excel workbooks that use Access as their data source (Access is linked to SQL server). Each workbooks uses a number of the Access queries to get its data; Excel forces me to login to SQL Server for each query, even though they are all through the same Access database. Is there way to override this behavior? Can't I login once and refresh all of my queries with a single database login? TIA. "Walt Palmer" <WaltPalmer02@yahoo.com> wrote ... > I have several Excel workbooks that use Access as their > data source Are you sure about that? The MS ...

Typed Dataset as description of XML database?
I have read how one can define tables, indices, relations etc. in .Net code in a way that allows you to run a off-line XML based ADO.NET, which is excactly what I need. I have also read about Typed Dataset and hoiw this definition is stored in an XSD file. I was wondering if these two technologies can be used together or put in other words: Can I use the GUI tools in VS.Net to define the layout of my tables in order to desing my off-line XML database? Thank you in advance. All inputs on the issue is welcome. Best regards, Soeren Hello! > I was wondering if these two technologies...

YE Closing Procedures
The year end closing procedures need to be more efficient and user friendly. For example, the payables and receivable management is date sensitive except for amounts since last close, vendor yearly summary etc. These modules should be fully date sensitive and the ability to enter into multiple years without caveats should exist. Year end is stressful enough ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the b...

Permissions / Closing MDB left open
I need to learn how to create - well, I'm not actually sure what I need to learn... Let me explain: I'm a surgical resident. I've been working on an Access MDB as a patient census - for day-to-day management including tables, queries, and forms that print based on room number or service. Everything is setup as needed in the local file. I've been working on the content of the database on and off for a year. Recently, before I can implement my project, I realized I have a very big challenge to overcome related to usage of the file. Now, to complicate my iss...

How convert an Access 2003 Database to SQL Server 2005 Express Database?
Hello, I could not find any information on the upsizing/upgrading MS Access 2003 database files to new SQL Server 2005 Express type. I am a novice in this topic, therefore I need step by step instructions. I am using XP (SP2), Office 2003, I also installed SSMSEE. Can somebody produce instructions either from Access end or form SQL 2005 Express end, on how to do the conversion please? Thank you ...

Closed account not so closed?
Hi All... I have (had) an investment account with E*Trade, which I have since closed. In MS Money 2006, I have it as "Account Is Closed", in the account list. There are a few weird things going on: 1. When I go into the account list, this account appears in gray with $0.00 next to it, but the "To Review" column has "Update in Progress" in it. This account is definately not part of my regular online updates (though when it was active, it was). 2. When I click into this account, 2 securities are listed. Neither one of them has Quantity or Cost Basis,...

database size #4
We have Exchange 2k3 sp2 I deleted a mailbox which was more than 11Gb last month due to the limited disk space but never got the diskspace, I thought Exchange 2k3 has an online defrage which should give us some disk space but it didn't work, any idea beside offline defrage? Online defrag does not shrink the database size - the free space can be used by new items being committed to the Store. Check Event ID 1221 to figure out how much free space exists in the Store. To actually shrink the Store size you need to perform an offline defrag. -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise...

when closing outlook favourite files disappear
When I create a favourite file by right clicking it creates ok and appears in the favouites section. After closing and reopening outlook the file disappears from the favourites section Bummer! -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 "ceh" <ceh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:9C6E3908-E47D-4398-B12F-376AC9A7A8F8@microsoft.com... > When I create a favourite file by right clicking it creates ok and appears > in > the favouites sec...

Closing Excel #2
I have inherited an App desigend by an ex employee Sometimes the program leaves Excel in the task manager The programe uses various routines and calling various functions that define Excel sheets etc (badly named) I'm finding it hard to follow (my 1st experince of .NET) is there a way to KILL any Excel instence when exiting the program. I have come across some posts about GC (garbage collection) like this System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(oXLWsheet) oXLWsheet = Nothing 'System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ReleaseComObject(oXLWs) oXLWs = Nothing oBook.Clos...

SQL database recovery
I have a client whos PC died and had was the RMS database server running SQL server express 2005. Assuming that the hard drive in intact, how can I restore the data to a replacement PC. The customer made NO backups. Help is very much appreciated. Phil Phil, If the hard drive is still good and will spin up. Just remove the .mdf and ..ldf from the old hard drive to the new hard drive. Then from SQL Management Studio attach the .mdf file. The default path is C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\Data\<yourfile.mdf> Make sure you instruct your customer to start making back...

Offline Database Hold Transactions: Where'd They Go?
I had used the Offline Database Feature (Thank Goodness it was There). I had transactions that I could not put on store charge so we put them as "hold" transactions. Now that I have resysenced my database there are no longer there. How can I retreive these? Tony ...