Access Form Blinks repeatedly

  • Follow

I put a tab control on a form with 1 subform on each tab accross 6
tabs.  These forms load up their own table of data.  On the main form
alongside the tab control i created a subform that lists the users
taht are linked into EVERY table of the database.  I created a textbox
on the form that has a control source set to the subform user list and
then set all the subforms in the tab control to link master and child
fields to their keyid and the main forms textbox.  This WAS work until
about a week ago when all of a sudden the forms start blinking rapidly
when a user is clicked on the subform listing the database users.  If
you need a descriptive layout please let me know.

0
Reply TechaholicJunkie 4/27/2007 4:54:38 PM

Problem addressed masterfully by Mr. Allen Browne at:

http://allenbrowne.com/ser-46.html

Damon

<TechaholicJunkie@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I put a tab control on a form with 1 subform on each tab accross 6
> tabs.  These forms load up their own table of data.  On the main form
> alongside the tab control i created a subform that lists the users
> taht are linked into EVERY table of the database.  I created a textbox
> on the form that has a control source set to the subform user list and
> then set all the subforms in the tab control to link master and child
> fields to their keyid and the main forms textbox.  This WAS work until
> about a week ago when all of a sudden the forms start blinking rapidly
> when a user is clicked on the subform listing the database users.  If
> you need a descriptive layout please let me know.

0
Reply Damon 4/27/2007 5:29:13 PM

On Apr 27, 12:29 pm, "Damon Heron" <damon...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> Problem addressed masterfully by Mr. Allen Browne at:
>
> http://allenbrowne.com/ser-46.html
>
> Damon
>
> <TechaholicJun...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >I put a tab control on a form with 1 subform on each tab accross 6
> > tabs.  These forms load up their own table of data.  On the main form
> > alongside the tab control i created a subform that lists the users
> > taht are linked into EVERY table of the database.  I created a textbox
> > on the form that has a control source set to the subform user list and
> > then set all the subforms in the tab control to link master and child
> > fields to their keyid and the main forms textbox.  This WAS work until
> > about a week ago when all of a sudden the forms start blinking rapidly
> > when a user is clicked on the subform listing the database users.  If
> > you need a descriptive layout please let me know.- Hide quoted text -

I noticed that page on your previous posts, yet, all of those
situations are applying to what i understand to be a refresh that's
extremely visible.  (i already performed all instructions on that
page.  Kind of cool if I just open each form individually as 100% is
DOESNT flicker anymore)

What IS happening is when i enter the sub form to change my selection
of my currently selected user I then have the text box on the main
form set to the value of my users key of my sub form.  I then have
ever one of the 6 other sub forms on a tab control set to link to this
text box.  What winds up happening is that the forms then just starts
blinking 100 times a minute.  I am not moving my mouse.  If I had to
take a guess its that their is a link conflict occurring between which
link is considered the right one and all the forms re-query events
keep firing until the form is closed.

I REALLY believe this may be a fundamental flaw in the method I am
using a sub form to manage the currently selected record on the main
form.
A: Main form with a record source of users
     1: Text box - curUserKey
     2: Tab Control - 6 tabs - modUserPanel -
          All are linked to the mainform w/ (Child = UsersKey, Master
= curUserKey)
          and each bound table does have a UsersKey
          a: subform - UserInfo
          b: subform - UserRating
          c: subform - UserFrameHistory
          d: subform - UserAccounts
          e: subform - UserClientID's
          f: subform - UserSkills
     3: Sub form with a continuous form view of all users (NOT CHILD
LINKED to MAIN FORM) - subUserList

No code no events...should just revolve around simple.  Did I miss the
bus on this one?  I have a sneaking suspicion that I may need to have
that tab control pulled from the equation all together.  Do you have
any ideas?

0
Reply TechaholicJunkie 4/27/2007 7:21:02 PM

I have a similar form that has 4 tabs that uses a combobox to update all
four pages and I do get a slight flicker.  The amount of data may have
something to do with it.  One subform I have has 3200 transactions that it
refreshes.  If you have many more records then it could just be that.  An
alternative could be to refresh the underlying subform only when the tab
control changes.

Perhaps someone else can weigh in here???

> On Apr 27, 12:29 pm, "Damon Heron" <damon...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> Problem addressed masterfully by Mr. Allen Browne at:
>>
>> http://allenbrowne.com/ser-46.html
>>
>> Damon
>>
>> <TechaholicJun...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> >I put a tab control on a form with 1 subform on each tab accross 6
>> > tabs.  These forms load up their own table of data.  On the main form
>> > alongside the tab control i created a subform that lists the users
>> > taht are linked into EVERY table of the database.  I created a textbox
>> > on the form that has a control source set to the subform user list and
>> > then set all the subforms in the tab control to link master and child
>> > fields to their keyid and the main forms textbox.  This WAS work until
>> > about a week ago when all of a sudden the forms start blinking rapidly
>> > when a user is clicked on the subform listing the database users.  If
>> > you need a descriptive layout please let me know.- Hide quoted text -

> I noticed that page on your previous posts, yet, all of those
> situations are applying to what i understand to be a refresh that's
> extremely visible.  (i already performed all instructions on that
> page.  Kind of cool if I just open each form individually as 100% is
> DOESNT flicker anymore)
>
> What IS happening is when i enter the sub form to change my selection
> of my currently selected user I then have the text box on the main
> form set to the value of my users key of my sub form.  I then have
> ever one of the 6 other sub forms on a tab control set to link to this
> text box.  What winds up happening is that the forms then just starts
> blinking 100 times a minute.  I am not moving my mouse.  If I had to
> take a guess its that their is a link conflict occurring between which
> link is considered the right one and all the forms re-query events
> keep firing until the form is closed.
>
> I REALLY believe this may be a fundamental flaw in the method I am
> using a sub form to manage the currently selected record on the main
> form.
> A: Main form with a record source of users
>     1: Text box - curUserKey
>     2: Tab Control - 6 tabs - modUserPanel -
>          All are linked to the mainform w/ (Child = UsersKey, Master
> = curUserKey)
>          and each bound table does have a UsersKey
>          a: subform - UserInfo
>          b: subform - UserRating
>          c: subform - UserFrameHistory
>          d: subform - UserAccounts
>          e: subform - UserClientID's
>          f: subform - UserSkills
>     3: Sub form with a continuous form view of all users (NOT CHILD
> LINKED to MAIN FORM) - subUserList
>
> No code no events...should just revolve around simple.  Did I miss the
> bus on this one?  I have a sneaking suspicion that I may need to have
> that tab control pulled from the equation all together.  Do you have
> any ideas?

0
Reply Damon 4/27/2007 8:45:49 PM

More information.  I only have 12 records to test in this database.
When i set my curUserKey by making a choice in the sub form the
database reports Calculating in the status bar.  Yes i would assume it
initially to be refreshing the data.  But the blinking never stops.
Its perpetually calculating.  all the data from all forms actually
only draws from the user table.  its all flat..simple 200 fields of
data organized by category of data input and put on subforms....

Reply Keyboard 5/1/2007 8:30:51 PM

(page loaded in 0.1 seconds)

Reply: