You cannot install Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.0.1 Update on this volume

Version: 2008
Processor: intel

This error message comes up when trying to load on the 12.0.1 upgrade.

"You cannot install Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.0.1 Update on this volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume."

I have tried re-installing 2008 again and also all the other recommendations offered by Microsoft, but to no avail.

Any ideas?

It sounds to me like you don't yet have the 2.1.1 update to AutoUpdate which
is required to install the Office 12.0.1 update. Download & apply it first:

<http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.mspx?pid=Mactopia_Office2008&fid=31B
C88ED-DF2D-471A-B4B5-66C2A51C8BEA#viewer>

BTW - NEVER reinstall Office in an attempt to correct a problem except as a
last resort unless you *know* without a doubt that it is the appropriate
solution. Even then a proper un-install using Remove Office needs to be done
first. The only files that get replaced (if any) are ones that aren't
responsible for the problem. Fixes usually involve support files that don't
get replaced & reinstalling can actually compound the issue.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 5/12/08 10:50 AM, in article ee9b239.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"deaningall@officeformac.com" <deaningall@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008
> Processor: intel
>
> This error message comes up when trying to load on the 12.0.1 upgrade.
>
> "You cannot install Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.0.1 Update on this
> volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not
> found on this volume."
>
> I have tried re-installing 2008 again and also all the other recommendations
> offered by Microsoft, but to no avail.
>
> Any ideas?

Same issue for me. Reinstalled Office for Mac at recommendation of Apple Store Mac Genius. I updated to the new installer as you suggested. Same issue.

Installer message...

"Searching additional volumes..."

Ends with Red Exclamation point and message...

"You cannot install Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.0.1 Update on this volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume."
0
brad1249 (4)
5/12/2008 6:23:44 PM
Hi Brad -

I sure hope all you folks have been going to the same Apple store - it would
be reassuring to believe that all the misinformation is emanating from only
one source rather than being widespread:-)

Your case sounds a little more involved, so try the method described here:

http://www.entourage.mvps.org/install/update.html#update_fails

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 5/12/08 2:23 PM, in article ee9b239.1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Brad
Baldwin" <brad@bradbaldwin.com> wrote:

> Same issue for me. Reinstalled Office for Mac at recommendation of Apple Store
> Mac Genius. I updated to the new installer as you suggested. Same issue.
>
> Installer message...
>
> "Searching additional volumes..."
>
> Ends with Red Exclamation point and message...
>
> "You cannot install Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.0.1 Update on this
> volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not
> found on this volume."

deaningall@officeformac.com wrote:

> This error message comes up when trying to load on the 12.0.1
> upgrade.
>
> "You cannot install Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.0.1 Update on
> this volume. A version of the software required to install this
> update was not found on this volume."
>
> I have tried re-installing 2008 again and also all the other
> recommendations offered by Microsoft, but to no avail.

Have a look at this blog post:

"Workaround when Updater fails"
<http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2008/05/workaround_when_updater_fails.html>

Hope this helps!

--

bill

William M. Smith, Microsoft Interop MVP - Mac/Windows
Entourage Help Page <http://entourage.mvps.org/>
mecklists1 (142)
5/13/2008 1:55:09 AM
Another idea to help trigger for suggestions.

This install was purchased as an upgrade from Office 2004. I originally installed and Office 2004 was removed at the end of the install process. Is there any reason that this install would be looking for an instance of Office 2004 before applying the update?

> So my idea of "Genius" is crushed, eh?
>
> I have copied install to desktop, ejected DMG. Auto Update 2.1.1 installs correctly (confirm with About dialog showing correct version).
>
> However, I have no such luck when following prescribed suggestion to run install from my desktop (followed directions). The install application takes a very long time while it is checking for volumes to apply update to. Evently fails with same message:
>
> "You cannot install Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.0.1 Update on this volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume."
>
> I downloaded and ran your script. I get the following:
>
> Last update applied: Saturday, December 1, 2007 1
>
> Microsoft Entourage.app: 12.0.0
> Microsoft Excel.app: 12.0.0
> Microsoft Word.app: 12.0.0
> Microsoft PowerPoint.app: 12.0.0
> Microsoft Messenger.app: 6.0.3
> MicrosoftComponentPlugin:Saturday, December 1, 2007 1:49:30 AM
> Junk E-Mail Protection:Saturday, December 1, 2007 2:27:09 AM
> Mac OS X 10.5.2 (9C7010)
>
> What Next?
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> > Hi Brad -
> >
> > I sure hope all you folks have been going to the same Apple store - it would
> > be reassuring to believe that all the misinformation is emanating from only
> > one source rather than being widespread:-)
> >
> > Your case sounds a little more involved, so try the method described here:
> >
> > <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/install/update.html#update_fails>
> >
> > HTH |:>)
> > Bob Jones
> > [MVP] Office:Mac
> >

> > On 5/12/08 2:23 PM, in article ee9b239.1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Brad
> > Baldwin" wrote:
> >
> > > Same issue for me. Reinstalled Office for Mac at recommendation of Apple Store
> > > Mac Genius. I updated to the new installer as you suggested. Same issue.
> > >
> > > Installer message...
> > >
> > > "Searching additional volumes..."
> > >
> > > Ends with Red Exclamation point and message...
> > >
> > > "You cannot install Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.0.1 Update on this
> > > volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not
> > > found on this volume."

0
brad1249 (4)
5/13/2008 4:56:00 AM
I have tried all the suggestions above, but still to no avail......

I have done the same as Brad and others on the forum, not sure what else to try now?

Any other ideas, guys? (Please)

Keep smiling :)
Any next steps? Should I completely UNINSTALL / REMOVE and start over? I really would like to get this working.

Thanks,

Brad
0
brad1249 (4)
5/13/2008 10:40:03 PM
"deaningall@officeformac.com" wrote:

> I have tried all the suggestions above, but still to no avail......

Try the new 12.1.0 SP1

<http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2008/05/office_2008_sp1_update_1210.html>

In case the above link does not work:

<http://tinyurl.com/3fukme>

--
Diane

0
diane7495 (1195)
5/13/2008 10:57:41 PM
Wow, i have downloaded the new 12.1.0 SP1 (many thanks Diane for the push in the right direction) and it works like a dream. 1st time, no problems whatsoever.

Microsoft have listened at last to us all.

Many thanks to all for your help on this.

Keep the faith.....
HURRAY! I'm alive and well. Thanks All. Thanks MSFT!
0
brad1249 (4)
5/14/2008 4:32:33 PM
get the same error message when trying to install SP1 12.1.0.:

"You cannot install Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.1.0 Update on this volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not found on this volume."
"J._Lane_Randolph_II@officeformac.com" wrote:

> get the same error message when trying to install SP1 12.1.0.:
>
> "You cannot install Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.1.0 Update on this
> volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not
> found on this volume."
<http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2008/05/hot_topics_after_installing_sp1.html

In case the above link does not work:

<http://tinyurl.com/54cyuk>

--
Diane

0
diane7495 (1195)
5/19/2008 10:30:52 PM
On May 19, 5:30=A0pm, Diane Ross <di...@invalid.entourage.mvps.org>
wrote:
> "J._Lane_Randolph...@officeformac.com" wrote:
> > get the same error message when trying toinstallSP112.1.0.:
>
> > "YoucannotinstallMicrosoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.1.0 Update on this
> > volume. A version of the software required toinstallthis update was not
> > found on this volume."
>
> <http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2008/05/hot_topics_after_installing_sp...
>

> In case the above link does not work:
>
> <http://tinyurl.com/54cyuk>
>
> --
> Diane

Has there been any resolution to this problem?  I have tried the work-
around, and it still does not work.

POS.
0
yerilopez (1)
5/21/2008 3:17:05 PM
The auto update arrived on my desktop today and guess what-it cannot be installed-I have read the thread and its the same problem as others are having. What puzzles me is Microsoft has recognized I have Office 2008 to send me the update notification and then tells me I do not have Office 2008 when I attempt to install it!

PeterG
"PeterG Howard" wrote:

> The auto update arrived on my desktop today and guess what-it cannot be
> installed-I have read the thread and its the same problem as others are
> having. What puzzles me is Microsoft has recognized I have Office 2008 to send
> me the update notification and then tells me I do not have Office 2008 when I
> attempt to install it!

See the fixes here:

Hot Topics after installing SP1

<http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2008/05/hot_topics_after_installing_sp1.html

In case the above link does not work:

<http://tinyurl.com/54cyuk>

--
Diane

0
diane7495 (1195)
5/21/2008 9:34:16 PM
"wayrachaki" wrote:

> Has there been any resolution to this problem?  I have tried the work-
> around, and it still does not work.

Just to be clear....You dragged the installer to the desktop and tried to
install from that installer?

Let's eliminate user error.....

> Update version numbering 12.1.0 and 12.0.1 are apparently confusing some users
> trying to update to Office for Mac SP1 via Mactopia Downloads.
>
> If you receive this error, be sure you have downloaded the correct updater.
>
> File Name: Office2008-1210UpdateEN.dmg
> Version: 12.1.0
> Date Published: 5/13/2008

Have you.....

> Modified Office in any way? Like remove Languages from your computer.
>
> Installed Monolingual or Safari fix??
>
> Moved Office from the root Library folder.

Tips:

Apply the latest Apple Combo updater. It will overwrite files that might
have become corrupt. This could help your Office install.

Insert the Office install DVD and run the installer again over your current
install. If that fails...

1.  Log out/in with Shift key held down to disable all applications
2.  Run "Remove Office"..."Remove Office" can be found in the Additional
Tools folder inside the Office 2008 folder.  /Applications/Microsoft Office
2008/Additional Tools/Remove Office/Remove Office.app
3. Go to Library/Receipts folder and remove any Microsoft packages
remaining.
4. Insert your Office 2008 DVD and install
5. Restart
6. AutoUpdate to SP1
7. Restart
8. Run Repair Permissions from Disk Utility

Let me know if any of this helps.

--
Diane

0
diane7495 (1195)
5/21/2008 9:36:32 PM
OK - so have you attempted any of the solutions offered in this same thread?
If not, that's where to start.

If you have tried them & they didn't work there must be something
*different* about your situation. If that's the case, post a NEW message
rather than tagging on to this one - your issue will just get lost within
the pile otherwise. Please specify what you've tried & what the result of
each effort was. We also need to know what version of OS X you're running as
well as what type of Mac you have.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 5/19/08 3:11 PM, in article ee9b239.12@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"J._Lane_Randolph_II@officeformac.com"
<J._Lane_Randolph_II@officeformac.com> wrote:

> get the same error message when trying to install SP1 12.1.0.:
>
> "You cannot install Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac 12.1.0 Update on this
> volume. A version of the software required to install this update was not
> found on this volume."

As I suggested to the poster that preceded yours, all known solutions are
documented within this same thread as well as several others. If you haven't
tried the suggestions offered here that's the place to start. "Read the
thread" won't solve the problem, you need to implement the suggestions:-)
They've worked for everyone so far, so if your issue actually *is* the same
they should work for you equally well.

If you have tried them all with no success your issue must involve different
circumstances in which case you'll be far better off submitting a NEW post
providing all particulars including what remedies you've tried & what the
results were. Otherwise you just get entangled & lost among the other
messages by jumping into a lengthy thread like this.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 5/21/08 4:01 PM, in article ee9b239.15@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "PeterG
Howard" <peterhoward@metronet.co.uk> wrote:

> The auto update arrived on my desktop today and guess what-it cannot be
> installed-I have read the thread and its the same problem as others are
> having. What puzzles me is Microsoft has recognized I have Office 2008 to send
> me the update notification and then tells me I do not have Office 2008 when I
> attempt to install it!
>
> PeterG

RE-Installing

Also Can't Install Latest Update

Value Pak Installer

M2003 updates error
I have been getting this since last evening: "An unknown error has occurred. Please try the operation again. If the problem persists, reinstall Money from your original product disks" Anyone else seeing this? Any easier way to resolve this than re-installing Money? The program seems to be working fine otherwise ... -- Aloke --- to reply by e-mail remove 123 and change invalid to com ...

Replacing "#DIV/0!"
How do we replace "#DIV/0!" with a numeric zero in a worksheet? Thx! You're dividing by zero. Counteract that by modifying the formula you're using. A simple example would be: =IF(A1=0,0,B1/A1) or trap the error: =IF(ISERROR(your_formula),0,your_formula) HTH Jason Atlanta, GA >-----Original Message----- > >How do we replace "#DIV/0!" with a numeric zero in a >worksheet? > >Thx! > > > >. > ...

1 email fill my queue!!!!
Hi, I'm testing a deployment of the CRM 1.2. I test the exchange filter to get email sent to support@company.com. This works fine... but... every 30minutes the same email is added to the queue again!!!! I have done 2 tests, and these 2 emails are copied every 30minutes... what's wrong??? thanks Jerome ok its corrected I have omit to check the "associated external account" option in the Exchange advanced options. "J�j�" <willgart_A_@hotmail_A_.com> wrote in message news:%23AviAQxgFHA.572@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Hi, > > I'm testing a...

Microsoft word 2007 04-21-10
To create a copyright symbol using the AutoCorrect feature, you must surround the letter "c" with which symbol? Do your own homework. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Sheena" <Sheena@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4F1C1982-FE01-4FE9-807C-7759DDD5D13B@microsoft.com... > To create a copyright symbol using the AutoCorrect feature, you must > surround > the letter "c" with which symbol? > With brackets. (c) "Sheena" wrote...

Add-In Is Not Valid Office Add-In Error Message
When I bootup Microsoft Outlook 2000 (9.0.0.2711), I get the following error message: 'C:\Windows\Application Data\Microsoft\Add-Ins\' is not a valid Office add-in. I also get this message when I open Outlook 2000, click on the Tools menu, click on Options, click on the Other tab, click on the Advanced Options button, and then click on the COM Add-Ins button. Would appreciate any help anyone may have to fix this problem. --Eric Ogawa This problem has been addressed in: "OL2000: Error Message: Not a Valid Office Add-in Starting Outlook" http://support.microsoft.com/supp...

Installation #4

Demonstration version of Great Plains 8.0???
My organization is seriously considering using Great Plains 8.0 and I was curious if anyone knows where I could find a trial version of the software to help us make up our minds. If you talk to a local business partner, they can set up GP with a sample company. There aer two versions: standard and professional. The professional runs on SQL Server. Therefore, if you wanted to get a trial of it, you would need to supply a machine with SQL Server. Tim wrote: > My organization is seriously considering using Great Plains 8.0 and I was > curious if anyone knows where I could find a tri...

MS Project for Mac
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I saw something recently about MS Project for Mac now if you use Entourage. However I cannot seem to locate where I found this information or the link, etc. Has anyone else seen this? Does this exist or is the Entourage 2008 version now have "MS Project" type features? Thoughts? On Wed, 10 Jun 2009 12:12:11 -0400, nprefer@officeformac.com wrote: > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) > Processor: Intel > > I saw something recently about MS Project for Mac now if you use Entourage. > However I cannot s...

Locate existing record-update it on the form
I placed a command button on a form and want to use it to search for an existing record and then populate the form with that record so I can update/add to it. The form's record source is a table (tblRFPTracking). I'm having a mental block on how to accomplish this and appreciate any help. Linda Here's one approach... Add a combobox (unbound) to the form (I stick mine in the header). Have that combobox list the records available for editing. I usually only include the bare minimum necessary to distinguish one record from another. Use a query to "feed" t...

I need help with way to return 0 or N/A to a formula
that refers to a sheet that has been deleted. I have a set of spread sheets that I use to do quotes. Each sheet refers back to one page to give you an over view of the totals from each sheet. When I don't use a sheet on a particular job I just delete that sheet/s but I get all those REF# that make the sheet hard to read. I can't add sheets because the quotes have links to a master price list in the same workbook! Marc Since you've broken the formulas, maybe you can just clear those cells. Select all the cells (ctrl-a (twice in xl2003)) edit|goto|special Check Formulas Unc...

Installer for my access application

Fresh install, crystal issue.

Customizable metrics on home page for GP 9.0
I like the concept of having Metrics available on the home page. However, I would like to have the ability to create metrics that are meaningful to my company instead of only selecting from a short list of canned reports. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane...

Installing XP over Linux

Outlook Today #12
When I click on the "Customize Outlook Today" icon, nothing happens. Anubody got a fix "JSOLO" <jsolo@optonline.net> wrote in message news:0f4e01c3aa09$f1bed970$a501280a@phx.gbl... > When I click on the "Customize Outlook Today" icon, > nothing happens. > > Anubody got a fix Google search on "Cannot customize Outlook Today" now returns *19,900* hits........... ...

Re: Entourage for Mac Error
Thanks very much. I went into my account and unchecked all the boxes I the Receiving mail menu except for "This POP service requires a secure secure connection (SSL)" and it seems to work now. Allan On 10-01-11 8:34 PM, in article C77111AD.21F14%EntourageHelp@gmail.com, "Diane_Ross_MVP@officeformac.com" <Diane_Ross_MVP@officeformac.com> wrote: > On 1/11/10 1:17 PM, in article C770FF97.2A36%jigtime@sympatico.ca, "Allan > Meltzer" <jigtime@sympatico.ca> wrote: > >> Today, all of >> a sudden, I can not access my...

Signatures #12
When I create a signature the preview appears to be what I want, but when I get ready to send a new message, the signature has extra spacing between the lines. I also have a jpeg file as part of the signature and that just appears as a blank when trying to use the signature. Why doesn't the real world signature look like the preview does. This is Outlook 2000. -- --------------------------------------------------------------------- "Are you still wasting your time with spam?... There is a solution!" Protected by GIANT Company's Spam Inspector The most powerful anti-s...

CRM SBS install error

Security Update error code
The automatic security download from Microsoft has tried several times to download Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 SP1 Security Update for Win2000 and WinXP KB979906 and the installation has failed. Error code is O or 0x643. I am using WinXP Home Edition, Ver 5.1 and SP3. No help from MX on-line do-it-yourself stuff. Not sure what to do next. Any help or suggestions? -- Pink Lady [Crosspost to Windows Update newsgroup] OPTION A: See the "How to obtain help" section of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979906 For home users, no-charge support is available by calli...