Word 2008 font menu

I've just installed Office 2008 on my MBP running 10.5.1. Seems to work well, but when I try changing a font via the pulldown menu or in the fonts menu from the main menu bar, it selects a completely different font with no logic whatsoever. Seems like a bug. Any ideas from anyone - welcome. Thanks.

I've not seen this one yet:-) First thought is to fully restart the Mac
which will cause it to cleanse the font caches. If that doesn't clear it up
post back with any any additional specifics you can offer.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 1/24/08 6:08 PM, in article ee8a5f5.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"Jack_Suben@officeformac.com" <Jack_Suben@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I've just installed Office 2008 on my MBP running 10.5.1. Seems to work well,
> but when I try changing a font via the pulldown menu or in the fonts menu from
> the main menu bar, it selects a completely different font with no logic
> whatsoever. Seems like a bug. Any ideas from anyone - welcome. Thanks.

Have tried several restarts to no avail. Oddly enough, documents started in previous versions of Word maintain their formatting correctly, but if I try changing a font, it gets screwed up, and of course, I can't change it back to it's original font.
When old documents work, the problem might be in the Normal.dotm template.

Quit Word.

Navigate to username/library/application suppport/microsoft/ and find
the Normal.dotm template in there somewhere. Drag it to the desktop.
Relaunch Word and check if problem is solved.

Jack_Suben@officeformac.com wrote:
> Have tried several restarts to no avail. Oddly enough, documents
> started in previous versions of Word maintain their formatting
> correctly, but if I try changing a font, it gets screwed up, and of
> course, I can't change it back to it's original font.
0
daiyaNOSPAM (1173)
1/25/2008 3:29:28 PM
PS.  Actually, don't bother with that. I misread your post.

Daiya Mitchell wrote:
> When old documents work, the problem might be in the Normal.dotm
> template.
>
> Quit Word.
>
> Navigate to username/library/application suppport/microsoft/ and find
> the Normal.dotm template in there somewhere. Drag it to the desktop.
> Relaunch Word and check if problem is solved.
>
> Jack_Suben@officeformac.com wrote:
>> Have tried several restarts to no avail. Oddly enough, documents
>> started in previous versions of Word maintain their formatting
>> correctly, but if I try changing a font, it gets screwed up, and of
>> course, I can't change it back to it's original font.
0
daiyaNOSPAM (1173)
1/25/2008 3:53:18 PM
Is your installation of 2008 a fresh install, an upgrade to a prior version,
side-by-side with a prior version...?

Has this been happening from the start or is it a new development?

Any additional details would be helpful.

Daiya may be on the right track - especially if you had a previous version
installed.

Regards|:>)
Bob Jones
MVP Mac:Office

"Jack_Suben@officeformac.com" wrote:

> Have tried several restarts to no avail. Oddly enough, documents started in previous versions of Word maintain their formatting correctly, but if I try changing a font, it gets screwed up, and of course, I can't change it back to it's original font.

0
CyberTaz (411)
1/25/2008 6:00:02 PM
I tried trashing the "normal" template from it's new location in Word 2008 and the normal settings didn't revert (i.e. my toolbars remained set as they were in my old normal template); also the problem didn't go away. My version of Office 2008 is an update version, therefore preferences appear to have been carried over. Problem still persists. Thanks.
Could you answer CyberTaz's questions?  Without such answers, there is
not even a chance of diagnosing the cause of the problem.

As I said, the Normal template is probably irrelevant and you didn't
need to bother with it.

Jack_Suben@officeformac.com wrote:
> I tried trashing the "normal" template from it's new location in Word
> 2008 and the normal settings didn't revert (i.e. my toolbars remained
> set as they were in my old normal template); also the problem didn't
> go away. My version of Office 2008 is an update version, therefore
> preferences appear to have been carried over. Problem still persists.
> Thanks.
0
daiyaNOSPAM (1173)
1/28/2008 4:13:41 PM

"Jack_Suben@officeformac.com" wrote:

> I've just installed Office 2008 on my MBP running 10.5.1. Seems to work well, but when I try changing a font via the pulldown menu or in the fonts menu from the main menu bar, it selects a completely different font with no logic whatsoever. Seems like a bug. Any ideas from anyone - welcome. Thanks.

I am also having this exact same problem following an install on my iMac
running 10.4.11. Strangely, I have installed the same copy of Office 2008 on
my MBP also running 10.4.11 and it does not exhibit this behavior.

I spoke with folks at Microsoft and they were not aware of the problem and
they were unable to provide me with a solution.
0
255 (1)
3/11/2008 10:09:03 PM
The only pattern I can see is that when I installed MO 2008 on my MBP, I left MO 2004 in place. On my iMac at home, I removed MO 2004 and that one works fine. Doesn't make sense, but I must keep MO 2004 on my MBP because of a Word add-on (specification writing software for architects) which works with MO 2004 but hasn't yet been updated for MO 2008.

Hopefully someone at MS will catch this thread and offer some advice. Thank you all for your help.
If you both follow Daiya's instructions that will clear it...

It's a corrupt Font Cache (either System, or Office Font Cache).

Often, simply a power-off restart will fix it: that causes all the font
caches to be rebuilt.

On 12/3/08 8:34 AM, in article ee8a5f5.10@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"Jack_Suben@officeformac.com" <Jack_Suben@officeformac.com> wrote:

> The only pattern I can see is that when I installed MO 2008 on my MBP, I left
> MO 2004 in place. On my iMac at home, I removed MO 2004 and that one works
> fine. Doesn't make sense, but I must keep MO 2004 on my MBP because of a Word
> add-on (specification writing software for architects) which works with MO
> 2004 but hasn't yet been updated for MO 2008.
>
> Hopefully someone at MS will catch this thread and offer some advice. Thank
> you all for your help.

John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
http://jgmcghie.fastmail.com.au/
Sydney, Australia.  S33�53'34.20 E151�14'54.50
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
john7143 (1072)

Printing WORD docs from a form

Word 2007 TOC Not saving settings...

How do I change default font size for inserting text in ppt 07
Every time I add a text box to a page, it comes in ariel 54pt. HUGE! I want to reset the default to somethng like 24pt. How do I do this? PPT2007 Hi Set a text box the way you want it then right click -> set as default text box. Lucy -- Lucy Thomson PowerPoint MVP MOS Master Instructor www.aneasiertomorrow.com.au "PAH555" <PAH555@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:501FF5A2-344F-4298-BF8D-1FD903341235@microsoft.com... > Every time I add a text box to a page, it comes in ariel 54pt. HUGE! I > want > to reset the defa...

disable menu thru group policy
How do I stop users from accessing or changing mail account settings and toolbar customization by using group policy?? By using group policy on a Windows 2003 server machine. Users login by rdp. Thanks http://download.microsoft.com/download/9/5/f/95f7e000-d7ab-4b86-8a5d-804b124c7a69/Office-2003-SP1-ADMs-OPAs-and-Explain-Text.execontains excel files that show what is configurable via GP....and theupdated templates..."MJN" <NOkink_jpSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in messagenews:OboA8KDnFHA.1464@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl...> How do I stop users from accessing or changing mail accou...

Encoded Word Documents

Bulk E-mail with Non-Word Attachment

Word Wrap: Where is it in Word 2007?

Where are my saved word?

word 2002 compatibility with Windows 7

Word 2007--pesky black dotted line

Formula to extract the last word from a cell
Anyone know of a formula that will extract the last word from a cell. For example if cell contains the text: Best available title How could I produce the result: "title" (And preferably be able to fill the formula down the column to get the last word from other cells in the column as well.) Thanks for any suggestions. =MID(A10,FIND(CHAR(1),SUBSTITUTE(A10," ",CHAR(1),B10))+1,99) -- __________________________________ HTH Bob "Dave K" <fred.sheriff@gmail.com> wrote in message news:c4347e85-a3e2-4abe-b632-88643d4d244c@w7g2000hsa.googlegroups.com... &...

Default DOCX file to open w/ Word 2007 and DOC to open with Word 2
Hi, I am trying to convert several hundred mail merge documents from Word 2003 to Word 2007. Currently, if I double click a document to open it, it opens in whichever version of Word was run last. What I would like, is for ..DOC files to open in 2003 and .DOCX files to open with 2007. I've tried to change the file types to do this, but can't make it 'stick'. Any suggestions? To prevent the two Word versions from "competing" over the file associations, see the "Hacking the Registry" section of the article at http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_wor...

copying Arabic into Word document on Mac
I am trying to copy and paste an Arabic word from the web into a multi-lingual Word document on my Mac but am having terrible trouble. It always comes out either backwards (left-right) or with the letters not correctly joined up (an Algerian colleague tells me). I have tried making the web page I am copying from into a PDF first, but doesn't help. Any advice greatly appreciated. Michael <huanzuiju@googlemail.com> wrote: > I am trying to copy and paste an Arabic word from the web into a > multi-lingual Word document on my Mac but am having terrible trouble. > It always co...

limiting number of words in textbox in Word 2007
I created a Textbox in MS-Word 2007 by going to the Developer option->then chose Design Mode, then Legacy Tools->Text box Field. The MultiLine and Enterkey properties are True and the rest are default values. Is there a way I can limit the number of words to a certain number? I realize there is a way to limit the number of characters in the Textbox by the Maxlength value. Also, is it possible that a message appears when the user exceeds the maximum length informing him about that. Do I need to use VBA code or do the inbuilt features of word allow me to do that? The short ...

microsoft word
is it possible to create a macro to open up word and copy and paste some data from excel into it. Thanks Debra Dalgleish has an example at: http://www.contextures.com/xlcomments03.html#CopyToWord It's a way of copying comments in a worksheet to a word document. But you can see the structure nicely. head wrote: > > is it possible to create a macro to open up word and copy and paste some data from excel into it. Thanks -- Dave Peterson ec35720@msn.com ...

Can I modify the default shortcut menu in access 2007?
I have an access 2007 application. I have managed to create a shortcut menu "ExportToExcel" that calls a vba function and does the export as explained here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/access/HA102825091033.aspx But my new menu with one single item replaces the default shortcut menu with text filtering etc. . What I want is this new item ExportToExcel to be added to the existing default shortcut menu. Is it possible, and how? Regards from Tore On Nov 27, 9:28=A0pm, Tore <t...@nospam.nospam> wrote: > I have an access 2007 application. I have managed to...

Word conversion
I have a long list of items in a Word doc, and when I copy paste t Excel, all the items are in one cell. Is there a way to paste the item into Excel into different columns? Thanks -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com You could use Data | Text to Columns | Delimited and choose a space as the delimiter. Just follow the dialogue. Regards Trevor "mrroboto >" <<mrroboto.1al9vr@excelforum-nospam.com> wrote in message news:mrroboto.1al9vr@excelforum-nospam.com... > I have a long list of items in a Word doc, and when I copy paste to > Excel, all the ite...

Use Word 2007 to edit Outlook 2003?
I have Word 2007 from the teacher and student edition, so it did not come with Outlook 2007. I use Outlook 2003 from an earlier package. I would like to use Word as my email editor, but when I go to Outlook's Tools/Options/Mail Format tab the boxes say Word 2003 and are grayed out; there is no option for Word 2007, nor a way to click on Word 2003. Is there a way to use Word as my email editor? Thanks, tfall No. Version must match. It has been ever thus. -- Russ Valentine "tfall" <tfall@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A58F9CAE-086B-4B7...

Microsoft Word Question
Hi all, I realise this is not the correct group for this but hoped someone could tell me which group I should post in? On my desktop Computer with Microsoft XP Home, I have the Microsoft Office 2007 suite, In word 2007 from it, I cannot find how to "select all" as I used to be able to do in earlier Word versions. Would anyone be able to help please? Mick Cant. "Mick Cant" <mrcycleuk@yahoo.co.uk> wrote in message news:JfqdnRfHApyrTBDUnZ2dnUVZ8tqdnZ2d@brightview.com... > Hi all, > I realise this is not the correct group for this but hoped someone cou...

Word 2007 error 01-13-10
We hvae offfcie 2007 professional installed, user's getting the following erro when launch word 2007, If I re-create the windows user profile it works fine. Is any easire workaround for this. Microsoft Visual Basic Run-time error '429'; ActiveX component can't create object This is usually the result of a broken add-in or a corrupted Normal.dotm template -- see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/828550 for background. First, with Word closed down, go to %appdata%\Microsoft\Templates and rename Normal.dotm to OldNormal.dotm. Restart Word, which will create a new...

Pasting an excel worksheet into word
How do I rotate an Excel worksheet 90 degrees when pasting it into a Word file? Hi one workaround: - copy the data in Excel - insert the data as PICTURE within MS Word ('Edit - Paste Special') - use the 'Draw' toolbar to rotate this picture Note: The data is not updated within this picture if you change the Excel file. -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Rix wrote: > How do I rotate an Excel worksheet 90 degrees when pasting it into a > Word file? Frank When I do this the rotate buttons are greyed out and I can't use them. Hi I just tried it (with Excel...