wmf files not printing properly from mac office applications

Hi All,

Our office recently made the switch to Macs.  We're now tasked with
brining in a lot of material developed on PC and updating it.  We're
running into issues with files that have wmfs embedded.  They look
fine on screen, but a lot of weird lines appear when printed.  We've
tried printing to different printers (laser jet and ink jet), no
difference.

Png files might work out okay in some cases, but due to the sheer
volume of material we have to work on, it's just not very practical.

To make matters worse, when I try to reopen the files on a PC after
they've been saved on the Mac, the weird lines are still there in
print!  I've posted a scan of an actual print to:
http://www.jobskills.org/files/weirdprinting

Can anyone suggest a fix?  We have hundreds, if not thousands of
documents to sort through.

TIA,
Karen :o)

In article <1189454558.251943.103480@d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>,
karenrc <karen.calow@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Our office recently made the switch to Macs.  We're now tasked with
> brining in a lot of material developed on PC and updating it.  We're
> running into issues with files that have wmfs embedded.  They look
> fine on screen, but a lot of weird lines appear when printed.  We've
> tried printing to different printers (laser jet and ink jet), no
> difference.
>
> Png files might work out okay in some cases, but due to the sheer
> volume of material we have to work on, it's just not very practical.
>
> To make matters worse, when I try to reopen the files on a PC after
> they've been saved on the Mac, the weird lines are still there in
> print!  I've posted a scan of an actual print to:
> http://www.jobskills.org/files/weirdprinting
>
> Can anyone suggest a fix?  We have hundreds, if not thousands of
> documents to sort through.

You have my deepest sympathy. Word 2004 screws up wmf with ease.
You might need to find a PC program that bulk converts the WMFs to
something less proprietary. WMF is the spawn of the devil.

It might be do-able with GraphicConverter on Mac, but I don't hold out
too much hope. You wanna send me a few samples, and I'll see what can
be done.

--
To de-mung my e-mail address:- fsnospam$elliott$$
PGP Fingerprint: 1A96 3CF7 637F 896B C810  E199 7E5C A9E4 8E59 E248

Eeeewwww :-)  Last time I saw WMF do that, it was because the graphic was
too complex.

I would just check that you have the latest update to QuickTime on your Mac
� that's the converter it's using.

Where did you get these WMFs from?  I would be inclined to copy these
pictures out on the PC using Visio (or any other graphics program...) and
convert them to PICT.  You need to use a real graphics program for this,
because WMF and PICT are not exactly equivalent, so some serious computer
processing is required for an accurate conversion.

Re-insert the PICTs on the Mac.  PICT is to the Mac what WMF is to Windows.

Cheers

On 11/09/07 5:32 AM, in article
<karen.calow@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> Our office recently made the switch to Macs.  We're now tasked with
> brining in a lot of material developed on PC and updating it.  We're
> running into issues with files that have wmfs embedded.  They look
> fine on screen, but a lot of weird lines appear when printed.  We've
> tried printing to different printers (laser jet and ink jet), no
> difference.
>
> Png files might work out okay in some cases, but due to the sheer
> volume of material we have to work on, it's just not very practical.
>
> To make matters worse, when I try to reopen the files on a PC after
> they've been saved on the Mac, the weird lines are still there in
> print!  I've posted a scan of an actual print to:
> http://www.jobskills.org/files/weirdprinting
>
> Can anyone suggest a fix?  We have hundreds, if not thousands of
> documents to sort through.
>
> TIA,
> Karen :o)

John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
http://jgmcghie.fastmail.com.au/
Nhulunbuy, NT, Australia.  S12.22.1918,E136.99.5392
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
john7143 (1073)
9/11/2007 12:06:08 PM
In article <C30CBAC8.8574%john@mcghie.name>,
 John McGhie <john@mcghie.name> wrote:

> You need to use a real graphics program for this,
> because WMF and PICT are not exactly equivalent, so some serious computer
> processing is required for an accurate conversion.
>
> Re-insert the PICTs on the Mac.  PICT is to the Mac what WMF is to Windows.

Is the latter strictly true? AFAIK .wmf is SO proprietary that not
even MSFT can give a single definition for it - whereas a PICT is
a PICT and can be used cross platform...

--
M for N in address to mail reply
0

Yes, it is strictly true :-)

I don't know how much detail you want here, so I'll go with the "cut-down"
version as best I can from memory, and you can ask for more detail of you
want it...

WMF and PICT both started from the same place � CGM (Computer Graphics
Metafile).  The idea gave a way to combine raster and vector graphics in the
same file.  And both are published standards that are freely available.

Windows Meta File is the native graphics format for 16-bit versions of
Windows.  It's what Windows used to store and draw everything on the screen.

PICT is the same thing for old Mac, a combined vector and raster format that
was the native graphics format for old Mac.  It's part of the QuickTime
suite of formats.

New 32-bit versions of Windows use EMF (Enhanced Meta-File).  It supports
far greater precision and a much larger colour table.  And there's a 64-bit
version that I don't think anyone uses yet.

New Mac uses PDF for its display, but PICT remains its native graphic
format.

Just as there are several versions of PICT, with increasingly greater
ability, there are several revisions to WMF and to EMF.

There is surprisingly little difference between the concept of the vector
components of either format, but sadly, they are "opposite" in their
implementation, so converting from one to the other is a bear...  PICT was
designed for the Big-Endian Motorola processor, WMF for the Little-endian
Intel processor.  So before you can even begin the conversion, you have to
flip the vectors end-for-end.

Both formats were designed to be compact.  In the case of WMF, if you expand
it sufficiently you can see that every curve is in fact a series of short
straight lines.  Whereas PICT uses a set of look-up tables for
stroke-weights.

A well-made filter for a graphics program expects to be operating on
relatively powerful hardware and takes the time to get the transpositions
involved very close.  The built-in versions in the OS are designed more for
speed and efficiency � the conversions will be "close" but there are small
differences.

Hope this helps

On 15/09/07 4:08 AM, in article
NealReid-F3C024.14380214092007@ispnews.usenetserver.com, "Neal Reid"
<NealReid@Nagma.ca> wrote:

> In article <C30CBAC8.8574%john@mcghie.name>,
>  John McGhie <john@mcghie.name> wrote:
>
>> You need to use a real graphics program for this,
>> because WMF and PICT are not exactly equivalent, so some serious computer
>> processing is required for an accurate conversion.
>>
>> Re-insert the PICTs on the Mac.  PICT is to the Mac what WMF is to Windows.
>
> Is the latter strictly true? AFAIK .wmf is SO proprietary that not
> even MSFT can give a single definition for it - whereas a PICT is
> a PICT and can be used cross platform...
>
> --
> M for N in address to mail reply

John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
http://jgmcghie.fastmail.com.au/
Nhulunbuy, NT, Australia.  S12.22.1918,E136.99.5392
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
john7143 (1073)

MS Office 2003 wants a product key after installed for 3 years???
I have MS Office for Students and Teachers 2003. The first computer it was installed on was stolen however I re-installed it to my newer one and it has been fine for the past 3 years when I installed it to the newer PC. In Jan 2010. Word and Powerpoint won't open, the windows installer comes up and then it asks for my Product Key, which I have but it won't recognize. However Excel still opens and runs fine. Why would only some components of this package function?? And why is it asking for my product key now? I thought this software was a one-shot deal, meaning you b...

Corrupt File?
Hi, I have been given a excel file that I cannot open. It was created on winnt 4 workstation, office 97, and it was password protected. I have attempted to open this file up with excel, word, notepad, etc, and it says "unable to read file" I am attempting to open this file with the original OS and office 97 with no luck. I have attempted to open this file with Office 2000 and XP on Win2K, no success. Cann anyone help me with this? Real important. Thanks. --johnny You've tried Excel2002. You may want to try OpenOffice, both have a reputation for better recovery ...

Office and Spaces
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel It is obvious Office does not work with Spaces. It is all over the internet. I called Microsoft and was told as long as Office opened and I could type there was no problem. Apple told me Spaces works with Apple programs so it is a Microsoft problem. I understand sometimes things have glitches and that they need to be fixed. I'm looking for somebody to take responsibility and at least acknowledge the problem. Does anybody know if there is a fix in the works, if anyone is at least ready to admit there is a problem, or ...

How to move a file?
When saving a document into a file I'd like to move the old version into a backup directory (and rename it using the date and time). Using CFile, as I am, I could copy it of course. But does the OS have a way to move a file without copying? Pat Crowe wrote: > When saving a document into a file I'd > like to move the old version into a backup directory > (and rename it using the date and time). > Using CFile, as I am, I could copy it of course. > > But does the OS have a way to move a file > without copying? You could try: BOOL MoveFileEx(LPCTSTR lpExistin...

file saved
Does anyone have a macro for excel that puts the time the fill was lasted saved in a cell? hi In the workbooks before save event add the following code Private Sub Workbook_BeforeSave(Cancel As Boolean) Sheets("yoursheet").Range("A1").FormulaR1C1 = Now() End Sub >-----Original Message----- >Does anyone have a macro for excel that puts the time the fill was lasted >saved in a cell? >. > ...

Moving files from Money Small Business 2005 to Money Plus 2008
I am having trouble moving files from my old computer (XP Professional) to my new computer (Vista). Anyone have any advise? I tried backing up my old files and restoring on the new computer, but it didn't work. I hope there is an easier way. Simply copy your Money file - ends in .mny - to a memory stick and then copy to your new PC but make sure you put it in the Documents folder. Then double click on the filename in it's new location and Money will start up and read the file. Vista has some strange ideas where data files should live and if you put the ..mny file in the Progr...

How do I change file/open/"files of type" to default to "all file.
How do I change file/open/"files of type" to default to "all files(*.*)" thanks I'm not sure you can change this permanently. I just type *.* in the filename box and hit enter (it's almost almost as quick as a default <bg>.) How do I change"files of type" default wrote: > > How do I change file/open/"files of type" to default to "all files(*.*)" > > thanks -- Dave Peterson ...

WMF
Hallo NG, kann man mit MFC (oder Windows allgemein) immer noch WMF-Dateien einlesen und anzeigen lassen? Eigentlich soll man ja nur noch EMF-Dateien benutzen (GetEnhMetaFile).... Eine EMF-Datei einlesen klappt ja, aber die API-Methode GetMetaFile() aus irgend einem Grunde fehl. Oder muss man auch f�r WMF-Dateien die Methode GetEnhMetaFile() benutzen? Mfg Michael ...

Office 2011
Will not incorporating Entourage in 2011 be a mistake? Personally for me I like Entourage better than OutLook and think it works better for my needs. It also does not make it an inconvenience to use gmail as Outlook does by making me always find the Gmail IMAP folder to read the messages. John -- Are there errors in the Bible? How should a church conduct its worship services? Is drinking Alcohol a sin? Is racism wrong? If you want to learn, get answers, and be able to defend the faith, CERM is your place. http://www.cerm.info On 2010-03-06 11:58:45 +0000, John said: ...

Signature file as Attachment
I'm using Outlook 2003 with SP2. When I send an html message with a signature file that contains a jpeg image, the message shows up at the recipient with the signature showing as links to the file, and an attachment containing the jpeg image. But on some other recipients it appears just fine. Both recipients are using Outlook Express. Any ideas why or what to do? Thanks. Jim The recipient might be reading all mail in Plain Text or has higher security settings and there's nothing you can do. "Jim" wrote: > I'm using Outlook 2003 with SP2. When I send an h...

lack of clip art in office mac #2
I bought office mac 2004 student addition, and i noticed that there was almost no clip art. that is a huge problem for me as i use clip art a lot. also, on the microsoft website i can not seem to figure out how to copy and paste clip art, i can only download it. is there any way for me to download all the clip art from the microsoft website, or at least a package of useful clipart? You can only download 120 clips or 3.5MB in file size in a single download -- Paul Ballou MVP Office http://office.microsoft.com/home http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/ http://www.ballousgiftshop.com Life would ...

Uploading Outlook Express dbx files to Outlook
Help! A couple of months ago a friend upgraded her OS from ME to XP. She backed up her Outlook Express email files on CD. Now, she can't get them to open in either Outlook or Outlook Express. Any suggestions? I've tried everything that I can think of, to no avail. I've tried importing them from the CD, saving them to the Outlook folder, to the Outlook Express folder, all to no avail. Thanks! confused wrote: > Help! A couple of months ago a friend upgraded her OS > from ME to XP. She backed up her Outlook Express email > files on CD. Now, she can't get them to o...

command line options/switches to print excel file
I need command line options/switches to print the excel file on printer. Like C:\> excel.exe C:\abc.xls /print or C:\> excel.exe -print C:\abc.xls I'm able to print DOC, PPT file but I could not do it. Can anyone tell me any command. for Doc file it is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\WINWORD.EXE" testdocfile.doc / q /n /mFilePrintDefault /mFileExit Can anyone tell me a similar command for excel too. Thanks in advance ...

Printing Images in outlook 2003
I'm experiencing a strange problem with outlook 2003. When i recieve an e-mail with a picture or a some kind of image in it, then i try to print the e-mail, the image does not print out. I get a big empty box with an X in it, just like you would get in IE if the pic was missing. However, if I use word as my e-mail editor, and i try to reply or forward the message, then try to print it, using MS word, i can print off the picture. So it seems the issue is with outlook itself, and some setting I just cannot find. Or perhaps some registry setting. The e-mails are in HTML. Now thi...

Is there a file for message folder
I use XP Professional and Office 2003. I have been using Outlook Express as my email client. Recently I decided to try Outlook as the email client. I have succeeded in importing the messages from OE to Outlook. In OE I had messages from my POP3 as well as hotmail accounts. In addition I have created an "Archived Hotmail" folder for private messages that I wanted to store and keep private. I could do this with the Advanced File Folders program. Here is the problem. In outlook I do not see separate files (such as dbx in OE) for each of the message folders. Is there a file in Ou...

Add Third Party DLL to BSP. Dirs file. Bib file. @CESYSGEN
This is probably a long way to a short question/answer CE 6.0 R3. The install is correct. I am adding a Third Party Drive Driver to a BSP. I have created the appropiate Subproject in the BSP Added the ThirdParty.dll,ThirdPart.res and ThirdParty.reg I have created an appropiate Sources file which creates a dummylib along with a WINCETARGETFILES = BinaryCopy I have created an appropiate makefile.inc wich contains the BinaryCopy which moves the .dll and .rel to the release and target directories. I have added the ThirdParty as a catalog Item. Modules: ThirdParty.dll Sysgen Var...

Automating charts from a csv file
Hello, ons of our softwares creates some csv file everyday. Is there a way to create charts automatically via excel from this csv file? Thank you Erman Ulusoy Erman - Sure, this is actually fairly easy to do. Start by recording a macro: Sub Macro2() ' ' Macro2 Macro ' Macro recorded 2/27/2004 by Jon Peltier ' ' Workbooks.Open FileName:= _ "\\holy\cow\where\is\that\file\Y03\M04\03040109CW.csv" Charts.Add ActiveChart.ChartType = xlXYScatterLinesNoMarkers ActiveChart.SetSourceData _ Source:=Sheets("03040109CW").Rang...

Printing Microsoft graph
Since switching to Office 2004 from Office 98 when ever we print a graph in either powerpoint or word that has been edited in office 2004 the text is jagged looking. Other text not part of the graph prints fine. ---- Barbara MacPherson Hi Barbara, can you please send me the file that you are working with . also does the text appear fine in the print preview ? Thanks, Priyanka "Barbara MacPherson" <barbara@researchdimensions.com> wrote in message news:BEDDFF20.64D5%barbara@researchdimensions.com... > Since switching to Office 2004 from Office 98 when ever we print a...

Gary or Mac
Guys I need some help pls. It can't be that difficult but I am struggling to work it out. Just set Windows Live with my normal email address that I used in Windows Mail, imported folders no problems, but I am not receiving emails to this address in Windows Live ie I send an email to my address, Windows Mail picks it up but Windows Live doesn't, I have checked and double checked all property settings to ensure that they are the same but still nothing. Thanks in advance "joelpeyton" <joelpeyton@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C8...

Compare two file/colunms, hide row not does not equal list.
Excel 2000 -have two files. File "A" has 1 through 4155 records (rows with three columns) in numerical order. File "B", has a list of almost 200 rows/numbers (one column) from file "A". How can I hide the rows in file "A", not are listed in file "B"? Thanks, Jerry Not sure whether you are still monitoring this post, Jerry. Anyway, here's some thoughts ventured .. Conceptually, you should be able to achieve this via setting up a helper col and then autofiltering on the helper. Let's start by simplifying the scenario by having bo...

a class of ini file . you are very easy to write or read from an ini file.
Hi, I have wrotten a class of ini file operating. As following, Pls give me advise. You can add this class to your project to read or to write . +++++++++++++The head file.++++++++++++++++++ // IniFilesDef.h: interface for the CIniFile class. // ////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////// #if !defined(AFX_INIFILES_IMP_H__810C0A02_A7DF_4D48_A32E_033ADAF59235__INCLUDED_ ) #define AFX_INIFILES_IMP_H__810C0A02_A7DF_4D48_A32E_033ADAF59235__INCLUDED_ #if _MSC_VER > 1000 #pragma once #endif // _MSC_VER > 1000 typedef int INT ; typedef struct { } INIITEMS;...

Ignore the 'file in use message' when opening Excel
Hi all, I am scheduling an Excel workbook using the Scheduler Tool of Windows. It just calls an Excel workbook, which opens, does some autorun processing and closes again. This works well, except when I have excel already open. In that case another instance of Excel is opened (by the scheduler) and I get the "File in Use" popup stateing that my PERSONAL.XLS is locked for editing. And gives me a chance to cancel (button). A logical thing but unhandy in this context. Is there a way to ignore this message or to add an extra parameter to the call of the worksheet to preven...

Writing a WMF file
I would like to write a WMFfile containing the contents of a window but don't know how I know how to write an EMFfile: *************** Begin code CMetaFileDC dcMeta; CClientDC dc(this); if (dcMeta.CreateEnhanced(&dc, NULL, NULL, NULL)) { // Create EMF in memory dcMeta.SetAttribDC(dc); OnDraw(&dcMeta); if (HENHMETAFILE hEnh = dcMeta.CloseEnhanced()) { // Write EMF to file CopyEnhMetaFile(hEnh, FileName); DeleteEnhMetaFile(hEnh); } } **************** end code I also know how to write something to clipboard: **************** Begin code BOOL FullWnd...

lost pst files in 2003...
I upgraded a user from Outlook 2000, to 2003. When I first opened up Outlook 2003 to setup his acct, it wanted to associate the personal folders the user had, but it couldn't locate them. I wasn't sure, and figured I'll add them after the initial setup, so I canceled out of adding them, and continued. The unfortunate part, is now I can't find his .pst files. I've searched his hard drive and network drives for "*.pst" and am unable to locate the files. I used PCI File Recovery to see if maybe they had been deleted or lost, but am still unable to locate the fi...

Office 2004 slowness
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_009D_01C474DF.EBB58F50 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I have a G4 1 Ghz 30gb 256k iBook with Office 2004 installed. When = opening or using applications such as MS Word I have noticed that simple = operations [opening documents] takes an inordinately long period of time = to execute. Paint has actually dried while opening a document [I can = attest to that]. Is there any reason for this? Sherwin ------=_NextPart_000_009D_01C474DF.EBB58F50 Content-Type: te...