Will Office 2008 have an upgrade path from Office 2004?

  I'm hearing about a lot of problems with the updates, etc...
I'd really like to know what is going on/expected to happen with the
Office 2008 suite.
It would be cool if MSBU could develop an accounting package for
the office suite.
Can someone fill me in on the 2008 scuttlebutt?

--Walter--

0
WHowardF (1)

Hi Walter,

information on Office 2008 is quite scarce, so I'm afraid that no one
outside of Microsoft has an answer to your question. As a matter of fact, I
don't even know if that many people at Microsoft do, since it's still very
early days for the upcoming Office suite. If I were to guess, though, I'd
say it's safe to assume that there will be an upgrade edition that works in
a very similar way to Office 2004's upgrade edition.

I'm not sure what you mean by "accounting package"; do you refer to the
pricing alone, or do you hope Microsoft will release new software as well? I
wouldn't expect any new applications in Microsoft Office 2008 apart from My
Day, the Entourage "widget" that was shown at Macworld.

On 16/2/07 5:50, in article
1171601405.917697.190840@s48g2000cws.googlegroups.com, "WHowardF@gmail.com"

--
Michel Bintener
Microsoft MVP

***Always reply to the newsgroup.***

0
m.bintener1 (110)
2/16/2007 8:04:31 AM
When MS releases the product, MS will announce what if any upgrade path is
available. Until then anyone can speculate as they choose. Keep in mind that
the Beta isn't even available for testing as yet.

As far as accounting software, that's a realm that MS isn't active in even
on Windows, so I doubt they'll offer anything on the Mac. There are a number
of good ones out there - try Google or VersionTracker.com as well as custom
software if this is for corporate use.
--
Regards |:>)
Bob Jones

<WHowardF@gmail.com> wrote in message
>  I'm hearing about a lot of problems with the updates, etc...
> I'd really like to know what is going on/expected to happen with the
> Office 2008 suite.
> It would be cool if MSBU could develop an accounting package for
> the office suite.
> Can someone fill me in on the 2008 scuttlebutt?
>
> --Walter--

0
CyberTaz
2/16/2007 1:32:46 PM
Hi Walter:

There's scuttlebutt all over the web, but what you probably want is a quick
look at Microsoft's product release plans for Office 12 and 14 on the Mac
:-)

Don't we all!

You can guarantee that a licence for Office 2004 will allow you to install
an upgrade version of Office 2008.  The upgrade mechanism will probably
stretch all the way back to Office 2001, but we won't know that until Office
2008 is released.  There is a question in my mind about whether the
installer for Office 2008 will recognise non-OS X versions of the software.

As for an accounting package from Microsoft, don't hold your breath!!
Microsoft's business model is optimised for developing software that sells
in the millions: you need to look at other vendors for accounting packages.
Everyone hates accounting, and most Mac users don't buy software to do it
:-)

Cheers

On 16/2/07 3:50 PM, in article

--

Please reply to the newsgroup to maintain the thread.  Please do not email
me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie <john@mcghie.name>
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh.  Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

0
john7143 (1073)
2/16/2007 11:51:20 PM
Hi Walter,

Every accountant that I know uses Microsoft Excel as a primary tool.

But if you're looking for accounting specific software for the Mac I got 718
hits at http://guide.apple.com/

-Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

Quoting from "WHowardF@gmail.com" <WHowardF@gmail.com>, in article
1171601405.917697.190840@s48g2000cws.googlegroups.com, on [DATE:

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

MVPs are not Microsoft Employees
MVP info http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

0
goldkey74 (611)

mail will not open
when trying to open some...not all...emails I get the message "there was an error opening this message.....an error has occurred". This doesn't happen to all messages nor does it happen to all messages from the same sender. "velona" <velona@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5CFA4037-506D-4362-B110-13A9915D825A@microsoft.com... > when trying to open some...not all...emails I get the message "there was > an > error opening this message.....an error has occurred". > This doesn't happen to all messages nor doe...

How to turn Off _and_ On the pesky Office Assistant?
I want to try and operate without that pesky Office Assistant. 1 - How can I turn the darn thing off? 2 - If I discover I can't live without it... how do I turn it back on? thanks for any help. tmb ...

Excel 2007 will not refresh cells
I am currently using Excel 2007. I have a spreadsheet that I want to use to do some analysis of various situations. So here is my problem. I have several columns that have totals at the bottom. I have no problem getting the columns to total initially. However, if I plug in another number in the column, the total stays the same and won't refresh or re-total the column. I don't recall that this was a problem when I worked with Excel 2003. Can someone please tell me how to get the totals to update when I enter some new numbers in the column? Thanks in advance for the...

Change path to identity folder....
I run a Mac lab with about 10 computers in which logins are integrated into Active Directory. I set it up so that there is no local profile created when students log in. Basically all the computers share the same folder (desktop, library, preferences, etc.) on the server and the same user is listed as logged in on up to ten machines. I like this set up because all the settings (screen saver, wallpaper, filenames) and user files can be changed by simply changing one machine. But... The first person to open an Office program apparently owns the identity which is stored on the server. The file is...

SBS 2008 Alerting and Reporting
Hi all, In SBS 2003, I easily setup various log files to include with the daily Monitoring Reports I get emailed to me. In SBS 2008, I have not figured out how to do this. I figured out how to add additional event data/alerts from the event log (via the custom XML files) and I know I can pick/choose different 'sections' of the log to include/ not include (via 'Properties' of the reports). Does anyone know how I can attach log files to the Monitoring Reports? Thanks. Hilde I don't know that answer, but there are some resources here: http://www.code...

subform will not refresh
I have a subform for jobs to be at list - when I am int the actual form it requeries and shows only the ones checked off - when I go to the mainform with the jobs to be at list as a subform - it does not refresh or requery unless I close and open back up again. I had added a refresh command button with the following code: DoCmd.RunCommand acCmdRefresh when i press the refresh button it refreshes the job list to be at I add this code to the Onload of the Main form - don't want user to have to press refresh button but it doesn't refresh jobs to be at list unless press ...

Out Of Office #5
I enable Out of Office reply to the Internet from Internet Message Formats. The return Out of Office e- mail still will not send. Thoughts? Thanks ...

messages will not display on Outlook Express
I cannot get my messages to display the text of the message. I can send and receive, but when I actually try to open a message the message will pop up, but without text. The hourglass icon is displaying, seeming like it's trying to pull the message up but it never comes. Does anyone know what I should do? anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I cannot get my messages to display the text of the > message. I can send and receive, but when I actually try > to open a message the message will pop up, but without > text. ...

Can't Install Money 2004
Can anyone assist me. Somehow I have Money 2002 intalled on Windows XP. I think it was a freebie on some tax software I bought. I have been trying to uninstall it. I keep getting an error message that says "Error 1309 error reading file c:\Bundle\Money\iue\msaac01.wav" When I tried to intstall Money 2004, it said it would remove the Money 2002 but I keep getting that rror 1309 message. I went to the control panel to remove Money 2002 that way. This also didn't work. Please feel free to E-mail with suggestions. ...

OWA connection outside the office
Hi! We have a single Exchange 2003 servers with 50 users. Laptops also have VPN, so they can read mail outside office. It would be great if it also would be possible to get OWA connection from other computers without VPN. - Can I do this with current hardware, just more configuration? - if so, SSL? RPC over HTTPS? - are there big risks? - What would be the best scenario without buying a lot of new hardware/software? Tomppa Hi! If you have one box with Exchange, you can easily deploy OWA on it. What you have to consider is the fact, you're going to host OWA directly on Exchange ...

You will pass all the exams at 1st attempt No more headaches and worry about spending the time and money to attempt another exam again. You will pass all of your exams, every time www.FreeExamKing.com
You will pass all the exams at 1st attempt No more headaches and worry about spending the time and money to attempt another exam again. You will pass all of your exams, every time www.FreeExamKing.com ...

Restore from Money 2004 Deluxe to Money 2005 Standard
I am battling to get my previous version of Money 2004 Deluxe's backup filed read by a newly installed Money 2005 Standard version. Can anyone please assist - I'd hate to loose a few year's data! I am going through the normal restore from backup file process, it does the conversion and then after all that it says it can't read the money.mny file..... is this due to different versions, i.e. Standard vs Deluxe... Kind regards Pieter See if this helps. http://money.mvps.org/faq/article/23.aspx Also what are the last digits of the version number from Help > About. It shoul...

Office 2011
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Anyone know if the 2011 version will have any performance upgrades? The 2008 version is the slow and loves the color wheel of death. I think it is ridiculous that an Excel sheet with a thousand rows basically brings Excel to its knees when you can put in a million rows, what a joke. Anyone who might 'know' is under strict NDA to not discuss anything about it, pro or con. Speculation is pointless. Regards |:>) Bob Jones [MVP] Office:Mac On 5/18/10 7:04 PM, in article 59bb8aaf.-1@webcros...

out of office assistant #13
Running exchange server, trying to use out of office assistant, but it only sends the message(out of office) to the sender. How do I get a copy of who sent the message? and a copy of the message myself. thanks Cesar ...

with Publisher or Office.Will I be able to access old files docume
I am frustrated with my Open Office org. program for many reasons. I would like to use Publisher or Office or? Will I be able to access, email, documents etc files previously made on another program if I download Publisher or Office or ? Erica wrote: > I am frustrated with my Open Office org. program for many reasons. > I would like to use Publisher or Office or? > Will I be able to access, email, documents etc files previously made on > another program if I download Publisher or Office or ? Office applications cannot open OpenDocument files. You will have to convert them to O...

My Money Side will not stop
I read the FAQ for Money 2002 and it stated A) Click Help in MoneySide, then Settings. Under "Open MoneySide" select "Never" and then "Done." I select "Never" but there is no "Done" I can find and My Money leaves for this time only to return again. Is there any way to kill money from running in the background. It is not running in MSCONFIG on my XP sp2 system that I can find. Thanks Don I wish I had a way to test this here to tell you how to do it and validate the FAQ. Hopefully somebody who can still test on M02 will join the thread....

Exchange Service Pack upgrade
When trying to install MS Exchange 2k service pack on our BlackBerry Server. I get the error: The component "microsoft exchange messaging and Collaboration Services" cannot be assigned the action "update" because" - You can use this edition of Microsoft Exchange 2000 Service Pack Update to update existing version of Exchange 2000 only. Here's the funny thing Blackberry advised us to stop Exchange services on the Blackberry Box, since we are just using the Blackberry service. Help……. ...

Player will analyze and prepare music to burn but will not burn.
I recently updated to Version 11 and now my WM Player will Analyze and Prepare each song that is in the burn cue but as it initiates the transfer of the music to the disc, it generates a problem. As it starts the first song, it shows the message "finalizing disc" next to the first song. Then the burn ceases and the message " Windows Media Player can not burn files to the CD. Verify that the disc is clean and not damaged. If necessary, select a slower recording speed or try a different brand of blank discs." I tried two brands and tried several new clean d...

Think I will be staying with Money2004 for good...
Just to throw my two cents in on all this money2007 stuff. It looks like MS doesn't care about users of older versions of money. With all the changes, I think they just hope to pick up new customers who don't know any better. Based on what I have read...I won't even bother trying a trial of 2007. Granted the other software out there in the personal finance space isn't that great, at least I have a decent version of money with 2004. C Money 2004 was the last best version of Money to be sure. When Money 2005 dropped I tried it for about a week and then moved to Quick...

Out of Office restrict replys to contact list
It there a way to restrict out of office reply to only recieptants in the contact list? We would like to turn on out of office reply to people outside our organization, but would liketo restrict it to only people in our contact list. At present we have a rule setup locally on the users system, but would like to have a company wide solution. Thank you On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 11:08:02 -0700, Paul <Paul@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >It there a way to restrict out of office reply to only recieptants in the >contact list? > >We would like to turn on out of office reply t...

Form/Subform Will Not Open
Access 2003 desktop application ....... When I try to open a form/subform I get the message: "Could not use <name of backend file>; file already in use." What could be causing this message to appear? If I click OK, the form opens with just a blank space for the subform. If I remove the control source from the subform control, the main form opens correctly. I can open the subform by itself with no problem. I have rebuilt the form/subform and get the same message. Thanks for any ideas! Steve "Steve" <notmyemail@address.com> wrote in me...

64 bit Windows7
Merhaba, 64 bitlik windows7 ultimate işletim sistemine office 2007 kurulur mu, kurulursa çalışır mı? The chances of finding someone who understands Turkish here aren't good. If you're asking if Office 2007 (which is 32-bit) can be installed in the 64-bit version of Windows 7, however, the answer is yes. -- Herb Tyson MS MVP Author of the Word Bible Blog: http://word.herbtyson.com Web: http://www.herbtyson.com "al-er" <al-er@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D6A5CAF2-5D19-41E5-B6CE-D2603F590A87@microsoft.com... > Merhaba, &g...

E-mail folders will not open when Outlook installed
After OUTLOOK 2002 was installed on my computer it would not work properly, and the following error message was received: "Unable to open your default e-mail folders. The .DLL file for the information service could not be found." "MAPI was unable to load the information service PSTPRX.DLL. Be sure the service is correctly installed and configured." See if the information in the following MSKB article helps: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];293058 -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered ...

SBS 2008 virtualized migration
Hi folks, I'm asking this on the SBSmigration forum as well. I have set up my parent partition and am creating my SBS child partition in Hyper-V. One of the migraiton steps is to put my answer file on a usb key as part of the migration and point to it at the proper place. My searching has led me to ask, because I can't find out how to make a VM "see" a USB key or device. It is possible isn't it? If so, how? Thanks, Mike Unless things have changed or you get creative, no there is no USB support. Other options in no particular order: 1. Creat...

Password problems Office XP
When I open Outlook to check for mail on my 4 email accounts, the program asks me to enter my password for each account even though I had selected Save Password in previous sessions. I don't have this problem on my laptop running the same software. Any suggestions would be appreciated. If you are still having problems after applying both the SP 1 & 2 patches, then see if this article addresses your problemL OL2002: The Save Password Setting Is Not Saved When You Connect to a POP3 Server http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;290684 --� Milly Staples [MVP - Ou...