Using 2 versions of Mac Office 2004 (Japanese and English). How do I set the default for which version my machine uses to open office files?

I using 2 versions of Mac Office 2004 (Japanese and English).  How do
I set the default for which version my machine uses to open office
files?  It would of course be better if MS allowed users to switch
menu languages within the program just as Mac does with its OS and
associated software. But since that is not the case, I have had to
purchase install the English version of Office 2004 (at great expense
both monetarily and memory wise).  When I open files already on my
computer it always opens them with the "default" version of Office
2004 which is in Japanese.  I can't seem to find a way to change the
default settings so that it defaults to the English version.  I tried
changing them in the Info window but to no avail.  It at first seems
as if it has changed the setting but when you try to reopen the file
it is always back to the Japanese version (even if I tell it to change
all).  It doesnt help that on the hard drive the two versions all have
the exact same labels so it is hard to tell which is which.  Any help
would be much appreciated.  A big DOMO ARIGATO in advance!

"Domo arigato gozaimishta..."

The "default" application is the one that was installed LAST.  That's the
one the system preferences are all pointing at.

I suggest that you run Remove Office (twice, ensuring that you get out both
versions).

Then install Japanese.

Then install English.

Then apply the 11.3.3 update to both.

You *can* figure out which preferences these are and edit each to correct
them all, but there are more than a hundred of them and if you get one
wrong, you may not be able to start one or more programs.  I would do a
"Remove" and "Reinstall".

Note:  If you re-install without removing, the system will detect that you
are "already installed" and take no action at all.

Cheers

On 8/3/07 11:42 PM, in article
1173426170.745068.300940@c51g2000cwc.googlegroups.com, "bimotarich@mac.com"

--

Please reply to the newsgroup to maintain the thread.  Please do not email
me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie <john@mcghie.name>
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh.  Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

0
john7143 (1073)
3/10/2007 1:38:16 AM
On 3/8/07 11:42 PM, in article
<bimotarich@mac.com> wrote:

>  It doesnt help that on the hard drive the two versions all have
> the exact same labels so it is hard to tell which is which.  Any help
> would be much appreciated.  A big DOMO ARIGATO in advance!

Have you considered creating a new User in System Preferences and install
the Japanese version in the new user? Be sure to create an Application
folder in the User and not install in the root Application folder.

Use Fast User Switching to quickly go back and forth.

--
Diane Ross, Microsoft Mac MVP
Entourage Help Page

0
dross1571 (196)

setting left and top at runtime
hi there i have been working with VB for some time, and just started with VC++ i was looking for some way to set the Left and Top position of a Static Text control also some help on online VC++ and MFC resources regards >i have been working with VB for some time, and just started >with VC++ > >i was looking for some way to set the Left and Top position >of a Static Text control Use MoveWindow or SetWindowPos Dave -- MVP VC++ FAQ: http://www.mvps.org/vcfaq Look into SetWindowPos function in MSDN...You should be able to change position of any window at run-time. - Parhar ...

Physical Inventory question #2
I have a store owner who would like to run a Physical Inventory Sheet that does NOT include items with a qty of 0. I don't see a filter for OnHand <> 0. First, I'd like to see if anybody knows if something like this CAN be done. Secondly, I've suggested (and gave her instructions) on how to take all items that have zero quantities that she no longer wants to sell, and mark them as inactive first, then do a physical inventory based on the filter of Inactive = No. Do others run their physical inventories this way? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance for any...

Reports issue #2
Hi all, I have two different CRM setups, and I'm running through the same issue. It's impossible to generate reports from CRM. Here are the configurations : 1) Windows Server 2008 w/ CRM 4.0, and a windows server 2003 w/ SQL 2005 & Report Server 2) Windows Server 2008 w/ CRM 4.0 and SQL 2008 with Report Server Both Windows2k8 are domain controllers, and in the first setup the two servers are in the same domain. My report services are running with the network service account. When I want to get a report from CRM, I got the following message : "Reporting Error. The repor...

Sum Product Question #2
Can you use sumproduct when the numbers in a column are derived from a formula? In my formula all of the numbers in the M column are the results of formulas. My formula returns a value error. If instead of using the "M" column I used another column with just numbers (no formulas) it works. =SUMPRODUCT(--(C22:C5000=C11),--(I22:I5000=B12),--(M22:M5000)) Is there a way round this? Thanks The formula will work if the formulas really return numbers. But I bet (and it's a guess) that your formula returns text under some condition: =if(x99=0,"",A99/x99) (or something...

synchronizing #2
I was wondering if anyone knew how to sychronize office XP with two different computers. If you know please let me knows. Thanks ...

Importing XML in SQL Server 2005 in .Net 2.0
Hello All, I tried using bulkupload SQLXML, but it is very unreliable. Is there any way we can import XML file having schema into database? Neo Hello Neo, N> I tried using bulkupload SQLXML, but it is very unreliable. Is there N> any way we can import XML file having schema into database? What exactly are you trying to do? e.g., load XML into an XML typed column or load XML into one or more tables? Do you already have a schema? Note: Adding to m.p.ss.xml for easier tracking. Thanks! Kent Tegels DevelopMentor http://staff.develop.com/ktegels/ Yes, I have schema. I have also c...

Mac Word 2008
I've used Word since version one for DOS and was an alpha tester for the first Word for Windows, so I'm not a total dunce. But for the life of me, I cannot figure how to place in the footer "Page X of Y (total pages)". For at least the last 10 years, plus in Mac Word 2004, I could open the footer and insert this feature easily. I've looked everywhere I can think of for information on how to do this in Mac Word 2008 to no blessed avail!! Why trying to do something that was so easy in previous versions of Word can possibly be viewed as an "enhancement&...

Creating a link to open an application...
We have an Access 2000 application that we wna to have automatically generate emails to users. In the body of this email, it would be nice if we could provide a link the user can click on which would then open up the Access application (the user may or may not have the application open at the time), and possibly bring up the record in question they want to be viewing ( a cust service job#). The email notifies the user there is a customer service related issue they need to look into. Each cust service issue is assigned a number, so if we could somehow pass the job# to the Access app from the ...

HOW TO USE HYPERLINK within a droplist?

XmlTextReader and 2GB file limit
Are there any work arounds to get XmlTextReader to work with files bigger than 2GB? I tried to get the source of XmlTextReader and create a version with long (instead of int) offsets but I can't compile it due to package restrictions. Best wishes, Hugh McFadden hugh.mcfadden@visiongain.com Hugh McFadden wrote: > Are there any work arounds to get XmlTextReader to work with files bigger > than 2GB? I tried to get the source of XmlTextReader and create a version > with long (instead of int) offsets but I can't compile it due to package > restrictions. Sorry for lame qu...

using forms

Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac 11.3.2 Update
What Mac 11.3.2 update? I know nothing about such a Mac OS update. Help! The 11.3.2 update is for Office 2004, not for Mac OS X. Here's how you can get it: In Office 2004, use Microsoft AutoUpdate to get the latest updates. From any Office application, go to Help > Check for Updates (or manually launch Microsoft AutoUpdate from the Applications folder). If any updates are needed, they will display in a sheet, at which point you can check them and press the "Install" button to download and install them. Updates can also be found at the Microsoft web site: <http://www...

Excel Display Errors in file
I have several excell 2000 documents that when opened, the first sheet in the workbook will display most of the data at around a size 72 font that will not show in the cell. All the other sheets in this workbook are fine. This also effects the column and row headings (A B C, 1 2 3). If I go to View > Zoom and zoom from the default of 75% to anything else, it fixes the problem. I can then zoom back to 75% and everything still looks fine. (Including row and column headings) The next time I open the file, the first sheet is still messed up. I have tried saving to web page and...

Using Spanish on Publisher

Taking Certian Data only from 2 Spreadsheets
Hi All, I have 39 Excel Spreadsheets & there are only certain figures i woul like in each spreadsheet & they are all in the same Coloumn & row. would like these figures to go into another spreadsheet i have create how can i do this?? Is it possible? Can i transfer them over into a ne spreadsheet so within this new sheet i then can caculate them all. Woul appreciate all the help. Cheers Wil -- william444 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- william4444's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=3399 View this...

email que #2
I recieved a concern that email was not being recieved until some time after it was sent. After looking into the situation I found that the messages were hanging in the que. ex. If I look in the que a message will be ther from 1 hour ago, What would cause this and how do I fix this so email is sent immideatley?? ...

Advanced E-mail options
I can't find anything googling for this so can anybody point me at a help source. When sending a message, if I select "Set Importance" or "Set Sensitivity" from the "Advanced E-mail Options" dialog, what do the categories mean and what do they do? For example what is the difference between "Private" and "Confidential" and what different effects do they have? Thanks -- (\__/) (='.'=) (")_(") I'll answer 1/2 about the importance function. If you set as High, the recipient gets a red exclamation mark in a c...

FormulaR1C1 using variables

Upgrading Money for W95 to later or latest version?
I have been using Money for W95 since I bought my first computer over 10 years ago and for whatever reason have never got round to upgrading it. My question is whether it is possible to uprade this version of Money to a later version or the latest version (which I understand is 2005 in the UK)? Are there compatability issues? I have data going back 10 years or more which I would rather not lose and really want to get myself out of the ark and into the brave new world! I've done a search on the 'net and - perhaps unsurprisingly - have not found much to read on Money for W95. So any tip...

Windows in taskbar #2
The windows in taskbar box keeps getting "unchecked" while working in different execel spreadsheets. I re-check it and save/close the box, but it continues to happen. Any ideas to correct this? Richard From a posting by Debra Dalgleish............. There's some information in the following MSKB article: OFF2000: Only One Icon Visible in Taskbar When "Windows in Taskbar" Option Is Selected http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?id=215816 and the following advice from Dave Peterson '========================== From: Dave Peterson (ec35720@msn.com) Su...

Using XML with ASP.NET