upgrade from office 2004 to 2008

hi upgraders, <br>
are there any problems regarding the upgrade to 2008, esp. assuming all old data like emails, dates and so on ? <br>
thanx
0
realist01 (2)

In article <ee89959.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw>,
 realist01@officeformac.com wrote:

> hi upgraders, <br>
> are there any problems regarding the upgrade to 2008, esp. assuming all old
> data like emails, dates and so on ? <br>

You can read on these groups that there are some people who have had
problems. Of course, the people that haven't had problems usually don't
post!

While Entourage 2008 will import your old identity, it doesn't delete
it, so in the event that you do discover a problem you can go back to
the old database with Entourage 2004.

I haven't read every post, but I haven't seen any problems with losing
individual emails/calendar events, just a few failures to import
*anything*.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
1/21/2008 5:36:18 PM
In article <jemcgimpsey-A10B13.10361821012008@news.microsoft.com>, JE
McGimpsey <jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote:

> You can read on these groups that there are some people who have had
> problems. Of course, the people that haven't had problems usually don't
> post!

I have had no problems so far.

Saving things in the native format sometimes has formatting problems
when taking the doc to a PC, but I don't have to do that very often.

And I'd like to figure out how to have My Day not load on startup.
0
rag (68)
1/21/2008 5:50:58 PM
ok, thanx for the fast replies.
0
realist01 (2)
1/21/2008 6:10:52 PM
Mr. Strat <rag@nospam.techline.com> wrote:
> And I'd like to figure out how to have My Day not load on startup.

In the My Day menu is a Preferences option. Under General is a checkbox that
says "Open after computer logon."

I have My Day in my menu bar rather than my Dock, but I assume there's a
similar menu item for Dock users.

--
Adam Bailey    | Chicago, Illinois
adamb@lull.org | Finger/Web for PGP & S/MIME
<adamb@lull.org> wrote:

> In the My Day menu is a Preferences option. Under General is a checkbox that
> says "Open after computer logon."

Yeah...I found it. Since I have no life, I have little need for the app.
0
rag (68)
1/21/2008 6:31:26 PM
In article <210120080950588304%rag@nospam.techline.com>,
 "Mr. Strat" <rag@nospam.techline.com> wrote:

> And I'd like to figure out how to have My Day not load on startup.

Uncheck the "Open after computer logon" checkbox in My Day preferences.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
1/21/2008 6:54:45 PM
I have upgraded from 2004 to 2008 and the programs keep crashing....very frustrating.  Anyone have a similar situation or a suggestion?
0
Rex
1/22/2008 4:32:46 PM
I am not sure I would buy it again. There is very little, if any, speed improvement for running natively on Intel Macs. Entourage is much as it was before with much less functionality than Outlook.  <br><br>It is prettier but I was expecting a lot more of lessons learned from the PC version in terms of user conveniences such as accepting pictures from trusted sites in HTML emails, more sort and select of incoming mail. <br><br>If anything I would wait until the first update. Some of the obvious things were not well tested such as rules that don't work. If the obvious is not quite right then the un-obvious probably has issues and is worth the wait.
0
pnajar (1)
1/22/2008 8:19:50 PM
Need more detail to answer that.

OS version?  Which programs?  Crashing while you are doing what?

On 23/01/08 3:32 AM, in article ee89959.6@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Rex"
<Rex> wrote:

> I have upgraded from 2004 to 2008 and the programs keep crashing....very
> frustrating.  Anyone have a similar situation or a suggestion?

John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
http://jgmcghie.fastmail.com.au/
Sydney, Australia.  S33�53'34.20 E151�14'54.50
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
john7143 (1072)
1/26/2008 9:52:36 AM
I am in the process of upgrading from 04 to 08...wish i had read these threads first. The issue I have encountered after installing the 08 applications and responding to the requirement to move the 04 Entrourage pointer from the old files that took up ~15GB of file space, upon checking the box to update the pointers, Entrourage added an additional 10GB to the files stored. At the start of the upgrade I had 71GB available, upon completion I had 61GB. Anyone have a suggestion on what went wrong or where I should seek help.
0
Jerry

--B_3285152963_4850134

On 2/6/08 2:04 PM, in article ee89959.9@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "Jerry M "
<> wrote:

> I am in the process of upgrading from 04 to 08...wish i had read these threads
> first. The issue I have encountered after installing the 08 applications and
> responding to the requirement to move the 04 Entrourage pointer from the old
> files that took up ~15GB of file space, upon checking the box to update the
> pointers, Entrourage added an additional 10GB to the files stored. At the
> start of the upgrade I had 71GB available, upon completion I had 61GB. Anyone
> have a suggestion on what went wrong or where I should seek help.
I don�t know that anything went wrong. There is just more stuff in the
Entourage 2008 database. If things are working fine, don�t worry about it.
You might try to Quit Entourage, then relaunch it with the shift key down to
get the database manager. Select compact database. That may make it smaller,
but realize that this may take a while and Entourage will be unusable during
the process.

--
Bob Greenblatt [MVP], Macintosh
bobgreenblattATmsnDOTcom

--B_3285152963_4850134

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: upgrade from office 2004 to 2008</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
<FONT SIZE=3D"5"><FONT FACE=3D"Lucida Grande"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:10pt'>On 2=
/6/08 2:04 PM, in article ee89959.9@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, &quot;Jerry M &=
quot; &lt;&gt; wrote:<BR>
<BR>
</SPAN></FONT></FONT><BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><FONT FACE=3D"Lucida Grande">=
<SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:10pt'>I am in the process of upgrading from 04 to 08.=
...wish i had read these threads first. The issue I have encountered after in=
stalling the 08 applications and responding to the requirement to move the 0=
4 Entrourage pointer from the old files that took up ~15GB of file space, up=
on checking the box to update the pointers, Entrourage added an additional 1=
0GB to the files stored. At the start of the upgrade I had 71GB available, u=
pon completion I had 61GB. Anyone have a suggestion on what went wrong or wh=
ere I should seek help.<BR>
</SPAN></FONT></FONT></BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><FONT FACE=3D"Lucida Grande"=
><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:10pt'>I don&#8217;t know that anything went wrong. T=
here is just more stuff in the Entourage 2008 database. If things are workin=
g fine, don&#8217;t worry about it. You might try to Quit Entourage, then re=
launch it with the shift key down to get the database manager. Select compac=
t database. That may make it smaller, but realize that this may take a while=
 and Entourage will be unusable during the process.<BR>
</SPAN></FONT></FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"4"><FONT FACE=3D"Verdana, Helvetica, Arial">=
<SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:9pt'><BR>
-- <BR>
Bob Greenblatt [MVP], Macintosh<BR>
bobgreenblattATmsnDOTcom</SPAN></FONT></FONT><FONT SIZE=3D"5"><FONT FACE=3D"Luc=
ida Grande"><SPAN STYLE=3D'font-size:10pt'><BR>
</SPAN></FONT></FONT>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--B_3285152963_4850134--

0
bob6686 (387)
2/6/2008 7:29:23 PM
migrating from 04 to 08 thus far has been an abysmal experience. Unexplainable errors, data base rebuilds that yield an unexplainable error after a 6 hour rebuild. Cannot access my existing Entrourage file. Will try once more before i go back to '04....This reinforces why I love the Mac and apple apps in general! Steve Jobs, please hurry with a robust mail alternative to Office
0
jerry_m (1)
2/7/2008 3:07:11 AM
On 2/6/08 7:07 PM, in article ee89959.11@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"jerry_m@officeformac.com" <jerry_m@officeformac.com> wrote:

> migrating from 04 to 08 thus far has been an abysmal experience. Unexplainable
> errors, data base rebuilds that yield an unexplainable error after a 6 hour
> rebuild. Cannot access my existing Entrourage file. Will try once more before
> i go back to '04....This reinforces why I love the Mac and apple apps in
> general! Steve Jobs, please hurry with a robust mail alternative to Office

Try opening Entourage with a new blank Identity. Many users are having
problems importing their 2004 Identity. Check it out first to see if you
like it, then we can talk about importing your data from 2004.

--
Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)

diane7495 (1195)
2/7/2008 5:41:01 AM
Did Entourage import your old data?  Because if so, then it's all
duplicated, so that would account for a big chunk.  Erage 2008 doesn't
overwrite your old identity.

If you pointed the setup assistant at your 2004 Identity, then Erage
2008 made a backup duplicate of the 2004 identity before converting the
2004 identity to 2008 format.

In addition, make sure you have emptied your trash--though check what's
in there first.

Jerry M wrote:
> I am in the process of upgrading from 04 to 08...wish i had read these
> threads first. The issue I have encountered after installing the 08
> applications and responding to the requirement to move the 04
> Entrourage pointer from the old files that took up ~15GB of file
> space, upon checking the box to update the pointers, Entrourage added
> an additional 10GB to the files stored. At the start of the upgrade I
> had 71GB available, upon completion I had 61GB. Anyone have a
> suggestion on what went wrong or where I should seek help.
0
daiyaNOSPAM (1173)
2/7/2008 10:37:45 PM
I needed to buy Office 2008 for a a new Macbook, and so purchased the "full" version (still in the box and unopened). Can I use this version to upgrade my Office 2004 on my iMac desktop without losing all my Entourage files, etc.

Another question that rises after reading this thread, though, is do I want to?
On 2/13/08 1:41 PM, in article ee89959.14@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "" <>
wrote:

> I needed to buy Office 2008 for a a new Macbook, and so purchased the "full"
> version (still in the box and unopened). Can I use this version to upgrade my
> Office 2004 on my iMac desktop without losing all my Entourage files, etc.
>
> Another question that rises after reading this thread, though, is do I want
> to?

You don't have to remove Office 2004. When the option comes up to remove
don't select it.

Your data is stored in the Microsoft User Data folder. It can handle
multiple Identities from different versions. No worries there. However, I do
suggest you backup your Microsoft User Data folder before installing in case
of some rare disaster. Stuff or zip it.

Since you purchased the full copy of Office 2008, just go ahead and install.
It does not overwrite/update Office 2004.

Let us know if you have further questions.

You can use both versions of Word, Excel and Powerpoint. You cannot use
Entourage 08 and 04 at the same time. Most of Entourage's problems are with
syncing and Exchange.

If nothing I would install and play around with them until the next update.

--
Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)

diane7495 (1195)
2/13/2008 10:26:15 PM
Yes, you can, and no, you don't :-)

Office 2008 "upgrades" the Entourage database to a new format, after which
Entourage 2004 can't read it.

Personally, I allowed that to happen because Entourage 2008 runs well for
me.  But if you are wise, you will wait until Service Pack 1 is released
before you burn your bridges.

To be quite sure you can go back if you want to, do a Custom install and
don't install Entourage 2008.  Put that in later, when you are quite sure
you won't need to revert.

Hope this helps

On 14/02/08 8:41 AM, in article ee89959.14@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "" <>
wrote:

> I needed to buy Office 2008 for a a new Macbook, and so purchased the "full"
> version (still in the box and unopened). Can I use this version to upgrade my
> Office 2004 on my iMac desktop without losing all my Entourage files, etc.
>
> Another question that rises after reading this thread, though, is do I want
> to?

John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
http://jgmcghie.fastmail.com.au/
Sydney, Australia.  S33�53'34.20 E151�14'54.50

0
john7143 (1072)
2/14/2008 8:09:15 AM
Help. Upgrading from Office 2004 to Office 2008 with Upgrade version. Upon initial installation the search for an upgrade-able version was not detected and stated would have a change to relocate later in the installation. Later in the installation it found the office 2004 installation and moved it to trash. Then the office assistance wanted the product ID reentered and search for the eligible office product for upgrade and cannot locate it. What do I do?
0
Frustrated
2/20/2008 12:20:16 AM
On 2/19/08 4:20 PM, in article ee89959.17@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"Frustrated" <Frustrated> wrote:

> Help. Upgrading from Office 2004 to Office 2008 with Upgrade version. Upon
> initial installation the search for an upgrade-able version was not detected
> and stated would have a change to relocate later in the installation. Later in
> the installation it found the office 2004 installation and moved it to trash.
> Then the office assistance wanted the product ID reentered and search for the
> eligible office product for upgrade and cannot locate it. What do I do?

If you have your old Office 2004 CD you can just insert it. I would also try
moving Office 2004 out of the trash and back to your Application folder. You
might want to use both.

Could it be possible they want the 04 ID for verification?

Here are two numbers you could call for help. It should be free since you
can't use the product.

1-800-668-7975

1-800-360-7561

--
Diane, Microsoft Mac MVP (MVPs are not Microsoft Employees)

diane7495 (1195)

Vista x86 Upgrade to Win7 x64

Upgrading the CPU?

Quicken 2004 vs. Money 2004
Is there a place wher I can get Quicken 2004 compared to Money 2004? I'm running Money 2003 but my 401k bank will not support Money. So, I'm left figuring out which one to migrate to or have both... Thanks, Tom CNET.com ran an article comparing the two a couple of months ago. You might take a look over there. DAE >-----Original Message----- >Is there a place wher I can get Quicken 2004 compared to Money 2004? I'm >running Money 2003 but my 401k bank will not support Money. So, I'm left >figuring out which one to migrate to or have both... > >Than...

Setting Out Of Office
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel Email Client: Exchange I am having a problem setting out of office. I can connect to the Exchange Server (Exchange 2007 - I don't know what SP) and send/receive mail, access the GAL, view public folders, view free/busy information and other people's calendars, etc. However when I try to set Out of Office I get a message saying I cannot connect to the Exchange server. Any ideas where I can start to diagnose this problem. On 2010-04-17 03:31:46 -0400, Brendan_O_Rourke@officeformac.com said: > Exc...

8.0 Upgrade

Out of office #19
MS OFFICE 2000 SR Pro How do I set up an "Out of office"message on Outlook 2000? All info please! If you don't connect to an Exchange server, there is no automatic out of office autoreply. You'd have to spoof it with rules, and note that this means leaving Outlook open, and connected to the internet, for the duration of your absence. See http://www.slipstick.com/rules/index.htm for help. Also see http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=196718 - it explains how to set up a template so that autoreply fires only once per sender (as Out of Office does) to avoid mail loops. Spence ...

XP Upgrade

Will Publisher 2002 work with Office 2003?
I have Publisher 2002 and I'm needing to update my Office software for school to 2003. Will my Publisher 2002 still work with Office 2003? Hi LaLana (LaLana@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || I have Publisher 2002 and I'm needing to update my Office software || for school to 2003. Will my Publisher 2002 still work with Office || 2003? Yes it will. -- Brian Kvalheim Microsoft Publisher MVP http://www.publishermvps.com ~pay it forward~ This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Better watch it Brian. the last t...

Still battling 1.2>3.0 upgrade

Upgrading to Money 2004 Premium
Hi, I just upgraded my money 2003 to Money 2004 Premium, and am being told that my money file with all my data is not compatable, has any one else had this problem, and if yes what was the work around. -- Cheers Catherine PM Community Team This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. In microsoft.public.money, Catherine Feldhausen [MSFT] wrote: > >I just upgraded my money 2003 to Money 2004 Premium, and am being told that >my money file with all my data is not compatable, has any one else had this >problem, and if yes what was the wo...

Not sure what this would fall under in Money 2004
I just upgraded from Money 2003 Deluxe to Money 2004 Deluxe. When I get everything reconciled in 2004, all my numbers come out just the way they are supposed to. When I exit Money and come back to it later on, I find that my balance on my checking account is off. I am the only one who uses this program. It's almost like there's something in Money that adds the starting balance in my checking account to what the balance is now and that's how much Money says that I have. It only does it on that one account in Money. Is there any way that I can get this corrected? Thank you in a...

Teacher and Student Version of Office
Is the 'Teacher/Student Version' of Microsoft Office the same as the "Small Office" version? I have a student in the household that would like to use Excel and Access in her classes, doing her homework at home. AND, is it compatible with Windows Me? Anyone know Karen No, it doesn't appear to include Access. The below is from the Microsoft site. A. Office Student and Teacher Edition 2003 includes: .. Excel 2003 .. Outlook 2003 .. PowerPoint 2003 .. Word 2003 http://www.microsoft.com/office/editions/prodinfo/students/default.mspx look at Frequently asked questi...

Upgrade? or not to upgrade.
I accepted the invitation to try office 2010. Upon installation, outlook 2007 quit working. Since that is the only critical piece i need out of office, and all my emails etch i desperately need are on there, I uninstalled. Now I get no out look. I get the error: "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window. I am really kicking myself, I knew i shouldn't have done the upgrade trial. I am bordering on hysteria here. Can anyone help? Tried to open in compatibility mode xp but no go same error. Outlook now does not appear in the start ...

Upgrade to 8.0/Upgrade FRX
When upgrading Great Plains (from 7.5 to 8.0) do you suggest installing over the 7.5 client or uninstalling 8.0 fresh? How about FRX? (6.5 to 6.7) Thanks, Annalisa I like to keep the GP installation clean but I've had success installing over the existing client. Just make sure you export all modified reports and forms to package files. For FRx, it will give you options during the installation process. I would keep the existing version and install in a new directory. "afollo" wrote: > When upgrading Great Plains (from 7.5 to 8.0) do you suggest installing over > ...

Word 2007 eps images in Word 2008

downloading Office 2007 Professional didn't upgrade my outlook 20.
I downloaded a trial version of Office 2007 Professional which I then converted to my own. I also have Office 2000 still on my computer. How do I get outlook to upgrade from 2000 to 2007? The trial version of Outlook will not install if any other version of Outlook is installed What does "converted to my own" mean? "rmeadie" <rmeadie@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A302D5A5-12EA-4C56-8944-53FAD9A7A0C1@microsoft.com... >I downloaded a trial version of Office 2007 Professional which I then > converted to my own. I also have Office ...

Office 2004 Upgrade from Office 98 Macintosh Edition Upgrade
I am looking into purchasing the Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Standard Edition Upgrade - and would like some clarification on my eligibility (along with the installation procedure)... 1. Could you confirm whether I am eligible for the Microsoft Office 2004 for Mac Standard Edition Upgrade as a registered user of Microsoft Office 98 Macintosh Edition Upgrade (as the literature on the Microsoft website does not specifically mention the Office 98 Upgrade version)? 2. I am intending to install Microsoft Office 2004 on Mac OS x 10.4 Tiger. However I do not have Mac OS 9.2 [Classic] installed - m...

Upgrade pains...
Hi all, I'm trying to upgrade from CRM 1.2 to CRM 3.0. I'm getting an error that says the "database is not published for merge replication"... Which sounds like a really dumb error (and check to make), because 3.0 doesn't even use replication! If anybody has come across this one and has a solution I'd be most grateful. (I've tried republishing, removing replication totally, even running the script at the end of the upgrade white paper to 'eliminate replication' hangover issues... Thanks, Dave -- Log file contents --- 12:51:55| Error| Install exceptio...

Folder Permisssions quesiton
I setup folder permissions for Redirected My Documents per a MS white paper, as such: Share - Authenticated Users = Full NTFS - Authenticated Users = Traverse Folder / Execute File = List Folder / Read date = Read attributes = Create folders / append data - Creator = Full - Domain Admins = Full - System = Full - local administrators = Full After the user's My Docs has been redirected, I can see the folder on the network share, but I don't have permissions to open the My Documents folder. I can create a new folder, at the same level in the ...

Domain Upgrade
We have a Windows 2003 Native Domain with Exchange 2003 running on Windows 2003 member servers. We intend to upgrade our AD domain to 2008 and would like to know its impact on Exchange, OCS, LCS etc There should be none. Good luck! -- Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems." .. "Glen" <Glen@live.com> wrote in message news:OHx5MsykKHA.2468@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl... > We have a Windows 2003 Native Domain with Exchange 2003 running on Windows > 2003 member servers. We intend to upgrade our AD doma...

Upgrade Error
I purchased and downloaded Money 2006. I noticed that I cannot use the Reports Feature. When I select that feature, I get a page that tell sme that a Money upgrade is in progress and that I will be able to use the feature when that is complete. The problem is that the progress bar never moves and the update has never completed. I am not sure what is going on and I would appreciate any help. Thanks in advance. In microsoft.public.money, Beal Boru <Beal Boru@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I purchased and downloaded Money 2006. I noticed that I cannot use the >Report...

eXPANDING Office Screen
I have just reloaded my XP Program onto a new (formatted) drive, and I also reloaded my office 2000 program. Originally I had no problem with it, but after awhile, when I access outlook, all of my system icons and program buttons associated with Windows doubled in size and the text is large enough for a blind person to view. These include the start bar, main screen, etc. When I leave outlook, my system reverts to "normal." Other programs arent affected in this way. I have done all appropriate upgrades...can anyone help? john.mandeville@knology.net ...

Upgrade
Are there any special considerations in migrating/upgrading a Windows Server 2003 domain controller running on a VM server? Is P2V process a recommended approach if yes Why? if noy why? Howdie! Am 03.05.2010 20:57, schrieb Collins: > Are there any special considerations in migrating/upgrading a Windows Server > 2003 domain controller running on a VM server? > > Is P2V process a recommended approach if yes Why? if noy why? You're asking a couple of questions here, each of them being a broad topic that one can't just answer with "yes, no, maybe&q...