Unable to read Office Mac 2008's Word docx files in Office 2000 SP3's Word?

Hello.

Is it me or does an updated Office 2000 SP3's Word cannot recognize and
read Office Mac 2008's Word docx files that have Chinese characters in
filenames (e.g., test土白王.docx)? If I rename the filename to English
texts only, then no problems and old Word can recognize the file format
(Word 2007). Office 2000 was in Windows XP Pro. SP3 machine with NTFS.

Thank you in advance. :)
--
"Did the ant fall off the toilet seat because she was pissed off?" --unknown
    /\___/\
     \ _ /       Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
      ( )                                           or ANTant@zimage.com
philpi (11)

Ant <philpi@earthlink.netANT> wrote:

> Hello.

        Hi,

> Is it me or does an updated Office 2000 SP3's Word cannot recognize and
> read Office Mac 2008's Word docx files that have Chinese characters in
> filenames (e.g., test???.docx)? If I rename the filename to English
> texts only, then no problems and old Word can recognize the file format
> (Word 2007). Office 2000 was in Windows XP Pro. SP3 machine with NTFS.

On the MS site there are converters for Office 2007 file formats but I
can't remember whether they are available for Office 2000 and 2003 or
2003 only :-\

Corentin

--
            --- Mac:MS MVP  http://www.cortig.net/wordpress/ ---
korventeen (753)

> Ant <philpi@earthlink.netANT> wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>
>         Hi,
>
>> Is it me or does an updated Office 2000 SP3's Word cannot recognize and
>> read Office Mac 2008's Word docx files that have Chinese characters in
>> filenames (e.g., test???.docx)? If I rename the filename to English
>> texts only, then no problems and old Word can recognize the file format
>> (Word 2007). Office 2000 was in Windows XP Pro. SP3 machine with NTFS.
>

> On the MS site there are converters for Office 2007 file formats but I
> can't remember whether they are available for Office 2000 and 2003 or
> 2003 only :-\

They're for 2000 too. I have those already. I found out it happens with
the same Word 2000 format when saving and opening a new document. So, it
is not related to Office Mac 2008. It seems like Office 2000 doesn't
like asian filenames. :(
--
"I like ants, in chocolate. Crunch, hummmm." --unknown
    /\___/\
   / /\ /\ \  Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
     \ _ /       Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
      ( )                                           or ANTant@zimage.com
philpi (11)
9/22/2008 8:25:18 PM
Yes, the PC OXML Converters can be used with Office 2000 or later.

Although that's the way you should suggest the other users "adjust" it may
not always be practical or diplomatic to do so. If you prefer you can use
Word> Preferences> Save & select Word 97-2004 Document (.doc) as your
default. Just keep in mind that doing so prevents you from effectively using
any 2008 features which aren't supported by that format.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 9/22/08 4:15 PM, in article
1inocyj.1vrf3drjlk765N%korventeen@NoSpam.mvps.org, "Corentin Cras-M�neur"
<korventeen@NoSpam.mvps.org> wrote:

> Ant <philpi@earthlink.netANT> wrote:
>
>> Hello.
>
>         Hi,
>
>> Is it me or does an updated Office 2000 SP3's Word cannot recognize and
>> read Office Mac 2008's Word docx files that have Chinese characters in
>> filenames (e.g., test???.docx)? If I rename the filename to English
>> texts only, then no problems and old Word can recognize the file format
>> (Word 2007). Office 2000 was in Windows XP Pro. SP3 machine with NTFS.
>

> On the MS site there are converters for Office 2007 file formats but I
> can't remember whether they are available for Office 2000 and 2003 or
> 2003 only :-\
>

> Corentin

On 9/22/2008 1:25 PM PT, Ant typed:

>>> Is it me or does an updated Office 2000 SP3's Word cannot recognize and
>>> read Office Mac 2008's Word docx files that have Chinese characters in
>>> filenames (e.g., test???.docx)? If I rename the filename to English
>>> texts only, then no problems and old Word can recognize the file format
>>> (Word 2007). Office 2000 was in Windows XP Pro. SP3 machine with NTFS.
>>

>> On the MS site there are converters for Office 2007 file formats but I
>> can't remember whether they are available for Office 2000 and 2003 or
>> 2003 only :-\
>
> They're for 2000 too. I have those already. I found out it happens with
> the same Word 2000 format when saving and opening a new document. So, it
> is not related to Office Mac 2008. It seems like Office 2000 doesn't
> like asian filenames. :(

Here's a screen shot of the error I forgot to share in my past reply:
http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/4858/word2000docby4.gif ...
--
"I like ants, in chocolate. Crunch, hummmm." --unknown
    /\___/\
   / /\ /\ \  Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
     \ _ /       Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
      ( )                                           or ANTant@zimage.com
philpi (11)
9/22/2008 8:56:08 PM

On 9/22/08 4:56 PM, in article eTv5jWPHJHA.4232@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl, "Ant"
<philpi@earthlink.netANT> wrote:

> On 9/22/2008 1:25 PM PT, Ant typed:

>>> On the MS site there are converters for Office 2007 file formats but I
>>> can't remember whether they are available for Office 2000 and 2003 or
>>> 2003 only :-\
>>
>> They're for 2000 too. I have those already. I found out it happens with
>> the same Word 2000 format when saving and opening a new document. So, it
>> is not related to Office Mac 2008. It seems like Office 2000 doesn't
>> like asian filenames. :(
>
> Here's a screen shot of the error I forgot to share in my past reply:
> http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/4858/word2000docby4.gif ...

It could possibly be a font issue???

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 9/22/2008 2:14 PM PT, CyberTaz typed:

> On 9/22/08 4:56 PM, in article eTv5jWPHJHA.4232@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl, "Ant"
> <philpi@earthlink.netANT> wrote:
>
>> On 9/22/2008 1:25 PM PT, Ant typed:

>>> They're for 2000 too. I have those already. I found out it happens with
>>> the same Word 2000 format when saving and opening a new document. So, it
>>> is not related to Office Mac 2008. It seems like Office 2000 doesn't
>>> like asian filenames. :(
>> Here's a screen shot of the error I forgot to share in my past reply:
>> http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/4858/word2000docby4.gif ...
>
> It could possibly be a font issue???

What fonts am I missing? I can display Chinese characters in Web pages
online, inside documents, etc.
--
"The eyeless ant asked God, 'Give me eye-lashes.'" --Georgian Proverb
    /\___/\
   / /\ /\ \  Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
     \ _ /       Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
      ( )                                           or ANTant@zimage.com
philpi (11)
9/22/2008 10:58:00 PM
Well, it's just a thought :-) The OS uses designated fonts for specific
purposes - file names as well as menu displays, dialogs, etc. Which ones are
used for what by Win XP as defaults I'm not sure, but they're usually very
basic. If the required characters aren't in the font the name can't be
provided accurately to the app trying to read the file name. Based on your
description it sounds like that could be the case... Does the name display
correctly in a Windows Explorer window or on the Windows Desktop? Can you
effectively include Chinese characters in file names on the PC?

There may be more direct commentary in one of the PC Word newsgroups:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/FlyoutOverview.mspx

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 9/22/08 6:58 PM, in article uosSqaQHJHA.3456@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl, "Ant"
<philpi@earthlink.netANT> wrote:

> On 9/22/2008 2:14 PM PT, CyberTaz typed:
>

>> On 9/22/08 4:56 PM, in article eTv5jWPHJHA.4232@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl, "Ant"
>> <philpi@earthlink.netANT> wrote:
>>
>>> On 9/22/2008 1:25 PM PT, Ant typed:

>>> Here's a screen shot of the error I forgot to share in my past reply:
>>> http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/4858/word2000docby4.gif ...
>>
>> It could possibly be a font issue???
>
> What fonts am I missing? I can display Chinese characters in Web pages
> online, inside documents, etc.

test土白王.doc (removed its x for now) can be displayed properly in
Windows XP's Explorer. I tried making a new blank Word document on
desktop and then tried opening it, but Word 2000 refused (same error as
shown in http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/4858/word2000docby4.gif ).
:( I removed the Chinese characters to show test.doc and had no problems.

On 9/23/2008 3:37 AM PT, CyberTaz typed:

> Well, it's just a thought :-) The OS uses designated fonts for specific
> purposes - file names as well as menu displays, dialogs, etc. Which ones are
> used for what by Win XP as defaults I'm not sure, but they're usually very
> basic. If the required characters aren't in the font the name can't be
> provided accurately to the app trying to read the file name. Based on your
> description it sounds like that could be the case... Does the name display
> correctly in a Windows Explorer window or on the Windows Desktop? Can you
> effectively include Chinese characters in file names on the PC?
--
"The great companies did not know that the line between hunger and anger
is a thin line. And money that might have gone to wages went for gas,
   / /\ /\ \  Phil/Ant @ http://antfarm.home.dhs.org (Personal Web Site)
     \ _ /       Remove ANT from e-mail address: philpi@earthlink.netANT
      ( )                                           or ANTant@zimage.com
philpi (11)
9/24/2008 4:20:38 AM
Then it sounds like Windows has outgrown Office 2007 just as OS X has
outgrown Office 2004 with respect to Unicode fonts. Perhaps the OS is
allowing the use of characters in filenames that the programs aren't able to
recognize as legitimate. Curious that should be the case, though.

Thanks for the feedback :-)

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 9/24/08 12:20 AM, in article eqOLmzfHJHA.728@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl, "Ant"
<philpi@earthlink.netANT> wrote:

> test$BEZGr2&(B.doc (removed its x for now) can be displayed properly in
> Windows XP's Explorer. I tried making a new blank Word document on
> desktop and then tried opening it, but Word 2000 refused (same error as
> shown in http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/4858/word2000docby4.gif ).
> :( I removed the Chinese characters to show test.doc and had no problems.
>

> On 9/23/2008 3:37 AM PT, CyberTaz typed:
>
>> Well, it's just a thought :-) The OS uses designated fonts for specific
>> purposes - file names as well as menu displays, dialogs, etc. Which ones are
>> used for what by Win XP as defaults I'm not sure, but they're usually very
>> basic. If the required characters aren't in the font the name can't be
>> provided accurately to the app trying to read the file name. Based on your
>> description it sounds like that could be the case... Does the name display
>> correctly in a Windows Explorer window or on the Windows Desktop? Can you
>> effectively include Chinese characters in file names on the PC?

Oops!!! Typo - that was meant to refer to Office 2000 %>}

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 9/24/08 2:55 PM, in article C500054A.4380E%onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net,
"CyberTaz" <onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net> wrote:

> Then it sounds like Windows has outgrown Office 2007 just as OS X has
> outgrown Office 2004 with respect to Unicode fonts. Perhaps the OS is
> allowing the use of characters in filenames that the programs aren't able to
> recognize as legitimate. Curious that should be the case, though.
>
> Thanks for the feedback :-)
>
> Regards |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac
>

> On 9/24/08 12:20 AM, in article eqOLmzfHJHA.728@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl, "Ant"
> <philpi@earthlink.netANT> wrote:
>
>> test$BEZGr2&(B.doc (removed its x for now) can be displayed properly in
>> Windows XP's Explorer. I tried making a new blank Word document on
>> desktop and then tried opening it, but Word 2000 refused (same error as
>> shown in http://img181.imageshack.us/img181/4858/word2000docby4.gif ).
>> :( I removed the Chinese characters to show test.doc and had no problems.
>>

>> On 9/23/2008 3:37 AM PT, CyberTaz typed:
>>
>>> Well, it's just a thought :-) The OS uses designated fonts for specific
>>> purposes - file names as well as menu displays, dialogs, etc. Which ones are
>>> used for what by Win XP as defaults I'm not sure, but they're usually very
>>> basic. If the required characters aren't in the font the name can't be
>>> provided accurately to the app trying to read the file name. Based on your
>>> description it sounds like that could be the case... Does the name display
>>> correctly in a Windows Explorer window or on the Windows Desktop? Can you
>>> effectively include Chinese characters in file names on the PC?

Read Hebrew right-to-left
When I get a message which contains Hebrew text the Hebrew characters are corectly displayed but they appear incorretly left-to-right instead -rith-to-left. Where do I fix this? View | Encoding | ... Nathan wrote: > When I get a message which contains Hebrew text the Hebrew characters are > corectly displayed but they appear incorretly left-to-right > instead -rith-to-left. > Where do I fix this? ...

Extracting the last word from a string.
I have a list in excel like the one below. The filename is always after the last "/". What formula can I use to extract the filename? The number of instances of "/" is not cosistent in every path string. ../ABCD/home/ABCD/EFGH/ciaran ../ABCD/home/ABCD/EFGH/bin/paul ../ABCD/home/james ../ABCD/home/ABCD/EFGH/bin/partition The results I would like are: ciaran paul james partition Hi, Try this =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND("*",SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/","*",LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"/",""))))) -- Mike When compe...

Finding the path of Word 2007 on my computer
I have XP Pro and Word 2007. I am attempting to find the path of Word 2007 on my computer. How do I do that? Where do I look? Thank you. On 4/6/2010 6:49 PM, moon wrote: > I have XP Pro and Word 2007. I am attempting to find the path of Word 2007 on > my computer. How do I do that? Where do I look? > > Thank you. YOu didn't say if you prefered vb.net or C#. You normally would never need to find this. You could do it with this code however (use a valid file to test however): static void Main(string[] args) { Process p = new Process(); p.StartInfo....

Word Wrapping in Excel
I am having trouble with Word Wrapping in Excel. It does not adjust th row height properly. I have tried Format, Rows, AutoFit and it stil doesn't work. Help, pleas -- Mandy1 ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Mandy11's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=1300 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=27632 Hi do you experience this with merged cells. If yes->nothing you can really do about this without using vBA -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Mandy11 wrote: > I...

Excel in Office for Mac 2008 features
I've had Excel crash numerous times the first day using it. THe Auto Save feature does not seem to be working. Each time it crashes it brings back the old saved spreadsheet with none of the changes. Auto Save is set to 10 minutes and sometimes it had been hours and still reverted back to the old saved sheet and not the updated autosaved one. In article <ee8a70d.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw>, Foosh@officeformac.com wrote: > I've had Excel crash numerous times the first day using it. THe Auto Save > feature does not seem to be working. Each time it crashes it brings back th...

Exchange restore and recent file
Hello, I make an exchange Restoration from my exchange 2000 (SP3) server and i use "setup.exe /disasterrecovery" from the exchange CD-ROM.. The trouble is that it ask me for some file : " the target file is more recent that the source file, would you keep your file ? yes - no- no for all.. I don't know what to do ? because i will update to the exchnage SP3 after...and install the POST SP3 Rollup too ... Is there an exchange tool or a command that control and says if exchange works fine or not ??? for me to control after my restore.. Thanks for helping me... You can safe...

I need a list of command line switches for Microsoft WORD.
I am using a Shell command to execute Microsoft WORD 2003. I need to halt execution of VBA code until WORD finishes it's task. Is there a command line switch for WORD to cause it to pause the VBA function until it is finished? Is there a VBA command to pause execution of code until WORD finishes? Thanks. I am pretty sure the answer to your specific question is "No". If you tell us exactly what you are doing, including from where the Shell command is being executed, maybe we can suggest another way that will overcome the problem. -- Hope this helps. Please r...

Office 2007 Excel
Every time i open Excel 2007 i get the following; "The file you are trying to open,'PDFMaker.OLDxla',is in a different format than specified by the file extension. Verify that the file is not corrupted and is from a trusted source before opening the file. Do you want to open the file now?" I pressed CTRL+Shift+I and receive the folowing id 101786 however I could not find anything relating to the above. As a note you have to press NO two times before you can get into excel. Hope I got this in the correct discution group. If you're not using the pdfmaker.* addin, how...

Can't sync DRM files on MP3 player
Is use WMP 11 since a while to sync downloaded music files from napster to my MP3 player (so it can play DRM files). But for some reason i now get a sync problem in WMP "C00D1236 - cannot sync the file? This problem only occurs with DRM files although i also can play those files with WMP 11 ?! ...

Unable to open calendar

Need to read PAR PORT data bits URGENT
I have never read a parallel port in MFC yet. I need to read the input data on the port tonight for a dog and pony tomorrow. I tried the CParallelPort class but it didn't build and seems more than I really needed.. I am just reading the state of the bits as there is a rotary switch connected to them.. ANy links or methods.. AM I missing the obvious? Thanks again all. Nappy First, using the parallel port for anything is intrinsically dangerous. The standard parallel port driver does not support reading from it. (Besides, modern machines don't have parallel ports). You wil...

will not write file to server
when i try to do save as to my nevell server i get them message file is read only. there is a hot fix for this but i don't know how to get it can someone help thanks pete The MSKB article that discusses this problem: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];824424 suggests ways to contact MS. I don't know of any other ways. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP ...

How do Word and Publisher compare and integrate?
Please direct me to information regarding using the new Word 2007 and Publisher 2007 together. There seem to be a lot of overlapping functions in the two products. Is there any good reason to use both for the same document? Yes and no. I can see using Word for the spelling and/or grammar check. If it's a basic word processing document, I'd stick with Word. If it combines text with graphics, give me Publisher. (I have a 10 page document at work that is making me truly hate using Word with pictures, etc. And we don't have Publisher there. Grrrrrrrrr!) -- JoAnn Paules MVP Mi...

using embedded .xsd vs file based .xsd
I am thinking of embedding my schemas as embedded resources instead of reading it using URI at run-time. I came across some snags while trying to do just that such as, previously unknown to me, XmlValidatingReader.Schemas.Add was using XmlValidatingReader.Resolver to resolve my schemas using the URI method. Resolver property was never set, so the reader simply ignored any external references even though one of the schema explicitly imports the other one. I verified this by removing the referred schema from the schema collection, and the code chugged along fine. But when I changed the code to ...

vb.net 2008 working with other Microsoft tools
I am planning to generate 8 to 15 reports in sql server report server 2008. I want to create the 8 to 15 separate sql server reports and tie them together with a table of contents in a visual basic.net 2008. I then want to export these reports into an electronic format to email to users. Can you give me suggestions on how to accomplish this task? Have a look at crystal reports that comes with visual studio, you can export as pdf, excel (but becareful there i found formatting was poor but maybe i did something wrong!) and csv "Wendy Elizabeth" <WendyElizabeth@di...

Saving a worksheet as a jpg file?
I know how to save a chart as a jpg file, but I don't know how to save a worksheet as a jpg file. Can anyone tell me how? (The reason I want to do this is to send a worksheet to a Mac user who cannot [and who has no interest in learning how to] open Excel files, but who can open jpg files.) Many thanks. -- ---------- CWLee Former slayer of dragons; practice now limited to sacred cows. Believing we should hire for quality, not quotas, and promote for performance, not preferences. Use the Excel Camera Tool to take a picture of a pre-selected range on a worksheet. Copy the pictu...

unable to scroll the page

Can not get emails to flow down to a .pst file
I have tried removing the profiles and re-initiating them. For whatever reason, it will not drop down into her personal folder, or .pst file. It has been ongoing for 1 week now. I also rebooted the PC. I have tried every thing I could think of. Please help. On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 13:35:01 -0700, "Glenn" <GRyan@prideindustries.com> wrote: >I have tried removing the profiles and re-initiating >them. For whatever reason, it will not drop down into her >personal folder, or .pst file. It has been ongoing for 1 >week now. I also rebooted the PC. I have trie...

file://./backofficestorage...
I need to enable access to file://./backofficestorage on my Exchange 2003 server. I remember a seeing an article on how to do that a while ago but I can't find it now. Thanks! PROCEED WITH EXTREME CAUTION!! Also ensure that do file-level virus scanners are scanning M: drive Drive M Mapping to IFS Is Not Present by Default in Exchange Server 2003 http://support.microsoft.com/kb/821836/en-us HTH -- James Whelan Rapid Response Engineer - Messaging Premier Field Engineering Microsoft United Kingdom Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup pu...

Unable to start POP3, NNTP, IMAP4...

Unable to conect

Duplex printing in Word 2004 and Leopard