Trying to display Chinese SimSun font in Word X

I have a Word document where part of the document is in the Chinese font
SimSun. It opens perfectly in Mac Office 2008 on my computer. I need to have
someone else work on this document. They have a really old Mac running Mac
Office X. They have installed the SimSun font and it appears to be active in
the system.

If they open the document in Word X the SimSun characters just appear as
lines. If they open a new document and select SimSun as the font and type
they get standard Roman characters.

I have never really worked with a non-Roman character set before and am not
sure what else to check on the system.
Also apparently if they open Adobe Illustrator they can see the SimSun font
correctly.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

0
N5538 (45)

Can't be 100% sure - I know absolutely no Chinese & therefore don't use
Chinese fonts - but it sounds like the font is a UniCode font & Office v. X
doesn't do UniCode fonts... at all. Word is substituting the "best
available" which doesn't contain the necessary glyphs.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 7/31/09 4:27 PM, in article #rDMj1hEKHA.1540@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl, "Jack
B. Pollack" <N@NE.nothing> wrote:

> I have a Word document where part of the document is in the Chinese font
> SimSun. It opens perfectly in Mac Office 2008 on my computer. I need to have
> someone else work on this document. They have a really old Mac running Mac
> Office X. They have installed the SimSun font and it appears to be active in
> the system.
>
> If they open the document in Word X the SimSun characters just appear as
> lines. If they open a new document and select SimSun as the font and type
> they get standard Roman characters.
>
> I have never really worked with a non-Roman character set before and am not
> sure what else to check on the system.
> Also apparently if they open Adobe Illustrator they can see the SimSun font
> correctly.
>

> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks

Thanks for your reply.
So if I understand correctly there is no way to get that version of Word to
display Unicode fonts?

And this question to maybe someone that does speak Chinese:
Is there another (free) font  (or another non MS SimSun) I could substitute
that would display?

Thanks

"CyberTaz" <onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net> wrote in message
> Can't be 100% sure - I know absolutely no Chinese & therefore don't use
> Chinese fonts - but it sounds like the font is a UniCode font & Office v.
> doesn't do UniCode fonts... at all. Word is substituting the "best
> available" which doesn't contain the necessary glyphs.
>
> Regards |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac
>

> On 7/31/09 4:27 PM, in article #rDMj1hEKHA.1540@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
> "Jack
> B. Pollack" <N@NE.nothing> wrote:
>
>> I have a Word document where part of the document is in the Chinese font
>> SimSun. It opens perfectly in Mac Office 2008 on my computer. I need to
>> have
>> someone else work on this document. They have a really old Mac running
>> Mac
>> Office X. They have installed the SimSun font and it appears to be active
>> in
>> the system.
>>
>> If they open the document in Word X the SimSun characters just appear as
>> lines. If they open a new document and select SimSun as the font and type
>> they get standard Roman characters.
>>
>> I have never really worked with a non-Roman character set before and am
>> not
>> sure what else to check on the system.
>> Also apparently if they open Adobe Illustrator they can see the SimSun
>> font
>> correctly.
>>

>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks

0
N5538 (45)
7/31/2009 10:41:29 PM
Based on the info you provided we were able to open the document in TextEdit
and this will work well enough for this project.

Thanks again

"CyberTaz" <onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net> wrote in message
> Can't be 100% sure - I know absolutely no Chinese & therefore don't use
> Chinese fonts - but it sounds like the font is a UniCode font & Office v.
> doesn't do UniCode fonts... at all. Word is substituting the "best
> available" which doesn't contain the necessary glyphs.
>
> Regards |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac
>

> On 7/31/09 4:27 PM, in article #rDMj1hEKHA.1540@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
> "Jack
> B. Pollack" <N@NE.nothing> wrote:
>
>> I have a Word document where part of the document is in the Chinese font
>> SimSun. It opens perfectly in Mac Office 2008 on my computer. I need to
>> have
>> someone else work on this document. They have a really old Mac running
>> Mac
>> Office X. They have installed the SimSun font and it appears to be active
>> in
>> the system.
>>
>> If they open the document in Word X the SimSun characters just appear as
>> lines. If they open a new document and select SimSun as the font and type
>> they get standard Roman characters.
>>
>> I have never really worked with a non-Roman character set before and am
>> not
>> sure what else to check on the system.
>> Also apparently if they open Adobe Illustrator they can see the SimSun
>> font
>> correctly.
>>

>> Any help would be appreciated.
>>
>> Thanks

0
N5538 (45)

trying this out
This is a test posting. On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:06:51 +0800, "hmmmm" <bobo123@dotdot.dyndns.org> wrote: >This is a test posting. > Please use microsoft.public.test or microsoft.public.test.here for your testing. This is a working newsgroup. If you have questions about an Access database, please post them. John W. Vinson [MVP] ...

Two display monitors....
I have two monitors attached to two video adapters in the same PC. 1. How can I know from my Visual C++ program how many monitors do I actually have (I want the program to behave differently if only one monitor is available)? 2. How can I setup de resolution for both adapters/monitors from the C++ program? You can use EnumDisplayDevices to get information about all available display devices attached to your computer. Then you can use ChangeDisplaySettingsEx to change the resolution on a specific device. I personally haven't done this before, but I thing it will work. Ali R. "J...

Exporting Word 5.1 addresses to Office 2004
Is it possible to export addresses from Word 5.1 envelope function to Office 2004? I find this tool is very clunky in Office 2004. Thanks.......Arnie~~~Silver Spring, MD We're not ignoring you, we don't know :-) The envelope is saved as part of the template in Word. If you copy your 5.1 template to your new computer, it should just work... Try it... Cheers On 30/12/06 1:50 AM, in article 1167403854.641551.47510@73g2000cwn.googlegroups.com, "armil" <armil.2930@verizon.net> wrote: > Is it possible to export addresses from Word 5.1 envelope function to > Of...

How can I display multiline at an item in The CListCtrl?
Hello,All: I am trying to make the echo item of CListCtrl can display multilne, is there anybody who knows how I can achieve this? Thanks in advance! Carl, Can you provide more info? What is an echo item? -- Please do not send e-mail directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup purposes only. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "Carl" <carl8421@126.com> wrote in message news:uWnFIKhSFHA.3988@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hello,All: > > > I am trying to make the echo item of CListCtrl can display mul...

I am trying to round up to the nearest 25 cents
I am trying to round a money value to the nearsest 25 cents and it keeps rounding to the nearest dollar HELP Try =CEILING(A1, 0.25) In article <2DB8F007-1E27-4A48-923B-C7D4D0238B5E@microsoft.com>, sypher <sypher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I am trying to round a money value to the nearsest 25 cents and it keeps > rounding to the nearest dollar HELP =ROUND(A1*4,0)/4 -- HTH Bob Phillips "sypher" <sypher@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2DB8F007-1E27-4A48-923B-C7D4D0238B5E@microsoft.com... > I am trying to round a mone...

public folders not display in outlook client
Hi there! How do I create public folder in the client outlool? I need pass all old messages in .pst file to public folders, but even exchange server runs correctly I can�t see public folders in the outlook2003 client. Thank you so much. Regards. Hi, Sounds as you have a permissions issue. You can only see the public folders if you have the proper permissions. Leif "David Nemeh�" <david.vilarino@exactsoftware.com> wrote in message news:OPxdBp3nGHA.4952@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Hi there! > How do I create public folder in the client outlool? > I need pass all...

Trying to clear up Received but not invoiced report
I am trying to clean up the received not invoiced items. The problem began with entering a purchase order and then not matching the invoice to the items received agaisnt the purchase order. SO we thought that doing a returned transaction entery would solve the problem. The only thing is now the return shows up on our Received/ Not invoiced report. And the report is becoming a huge mess and difficult to use. What is the best way to clear up items that have been received but were not matched and already paid through the invoice entery? There is a knowledgebase article on this very thing av...

Calendar control in Word 2003
I'm making a form which uses the calendar control 11.0 in Word 2003. I've managed to do so using: www. fontstuff.com/word/wordtut03a.htm This works fine on my form. However, the form is to be used at work, on a network (some staff use Citrix, some use PC's). I had to install the calendar control on my PC as described in the link. Only when I am logged on is the calendar useable- I'm assuming other users may have to have it installed, but the trouble is that we are a small department withing a large sector, so, is there any way around this as I doubt my chances at getting the c...

send/receive (2nd try)
New computer. Microsoft XP Home. Microsoft Office XP Small Business 2002. Earthlink dial-up account. Two e- mail accounts. After opening Outlook, 1st send/receive (option 3, all accounts) usually prompts for both passwords, downloads messages, all good. Next time, though, no prompt for account 2, error cannot connect to server, account 1 usually gets messages. Every five minute send/receive option eventually degenerates to cannot connect to server errors for both accounts. Meanwhile internet browsing slows to a crawl. Any ideas? ...

I require label template for Publisher 3 x 11 labels per page
I purchased some labels...3 columns of 11 labels each....total 33 labels per A4 page. Publisher doesn't have a template for 33 labels...only 30 labels which is of no use to me. Can anybody steer me in the right direction to obtain the correct template? I can't say whether there is a template available. You could always create one from scratch. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] "Crazypup" <Crazypup@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:16897A86-3F84-4D29-B041-66A39D063F6B@microsoft.com... >I purchased some labels...3 columns of 11 labels e...

Font for Barcode in CRM does not print
Has anyone else encountered an issue where a Font used for a Barcode in CRM does not print. I create the report in VS.net 3 publish to CRM, the description and barcode are both visible in CRM however when I do a print preview and attempt to print the barcode does not print to any printer. I can export to Word or Excel and both of those show and print the bar code. The font I am using is SimBar, a True Type font. Thanks I'm not familiar with SimBar, but you might be able to set up a report using a free font download from this site: http://idautomation.com/fonts/tools/reporting...

format cell data to display stacked data
How do I format a cell to display two stacked numerical values? Not sure whether you're referring to this .. Pressing ALT+ENTER will break for a new line inside the cell So you could try, say in A1: Type "100", press ALT+ENTER, type "200", press ENTER Then it'll appear in A1 as: (but as "text", not numbers) 100 200 -- Rgds Max xl 97 --- GMT+8, 1� 22' N 103� 45' E xdemechanik <at>yahoo<dot>com ---- "dkay10" <dkay10@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A4DDB913-071B-4CCF-916D-3923DC4B0E5E@microsoft.com...

How do I cancel a msg Outlook keeps trying to send unsuccessfully?
How do I cancel an "in process" email Outlook keeps trying to send unsuccessfully due to a huge email message I tried to send with way too many attachments? It's stuck in "send" mode, and as a result, I can't send any emails because Outlook cannot get past trying to send this message. How do I cancel a pending outbox transmission while it's trying to send? I've tried everything I can think of to no avail. Please help! Angelczech wrote on Fri, 12 March 2010 07:32 > How do I cancel an "in process" email Outlook keeps trying to send ...

trying to insert a 0 in front of zipcode
Hello, I do not use excel at all so i have no clue! I have a list of daycares that i want to create mailing labels with...about 700 of them but the problem is my zipcode column there needs to be a zero in front of all 700 zipcodes how to i insert a zero in front of them without having to type it into each box? the other question is can i print labels directly from excel or do i have to go thru ms word? thanks Greg One of these 1) format the cells with custom format 00000 2) format the cells with Special / Zip Codes 3) format the cells as Text 4) begin all zip codes with an sin...

Display Time based on another field value
Im trying to insert the current time in a field based on another fields value which has 3 different values from a list box the value in this field is text. How do I go about write the formula? SFCNS Shaun Are you working in MS Access, the relational database? Are you trying to do this in a form (good) or directly in a table (bad)? Are you saying the "other" field has multiple values or just one? More info, please... -- Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Access MVP Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned in this post. Menti...

How do I display text based on form checkbox?
I have a checkbox, chkRetain, that exists on a subform. When users have it checked, and they run a particular report, rptProposal, I'd like the following text to be displayed in one of the group footers: "This proposal is for material supply only and subject to 0% retainage. Signed Proposal or Purchase Order will be accepted upon award of project." When chkRetain is not checked, nothing would display on the report. The report is run via 2 command buton2 (View & Print). My questions are: 1. Do I place the text in a label or a text box? I was going to set the Can Grow pro...

how can I set default font color in publisher
I change the font color, save the file and then the color reverts back to what Publisher 2007 wants it to be. I've just changed from 03 -07 and am not thrilled at the moment. It's a bigger learning curve, but even with that - no program should override my saved changes. Any help out there? I even created a color scheme, applied that and it still changes my color font. :-( When you created the color scheme did you change the Main? Did you save the scheme? I am not experiencing your problem. Is your Publisher 2007 a trial? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http...

displaying mail from different e-mail address
Does anyone have any experience in displaying mail from various e-mail accounts on the main page of outlook? I can't figure out which mail is comming from my various POP 3 Accounts... Please advise. -THANKS! Use Field Chooser to add the Email Account field to the view. -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "Pable" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:115ed01c441ae$7fe203d0$a301280a@phx.gbl... > Does anyone have any experience in displaying mail from > various e-mail accounts on the main page of outlook? I > can't figure out which mail ...

Word to excel, excel to word
Hi, Heard that excel can merge into Word, any idea how to proceed with the merging. Any replies will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Like mailmerging to produce labels? If yes, you may want to read some tips for mailmerge. http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/mailmerg.htm http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/MailMerge The first is from David McRitchie and the second is by Beth Melton and Dave Rado. ron wrote: > > Hi, > > Heard that excel can merge into Word, any idea how to proceed with the > merging. Any replies will be greatly appreciated. > > Thanks -- Dave Peterso...

Event sink for changing X-headers
Hi All, Almost programming question here: Is it possible to write event sink (or use any third party tool) for changing X-headers in the incoming messages? The task is to remove some excessive X-headers sent by spammers, before the message is accepted by the information store. Any advise or link will be highly appreciated. Thanks, Boris Boris, you can find a few example scripts here: http://www.vamsoft.com/orf/tools.asp and an example of removing a header line at: http://www.vamsoft.com/orf/howto-readreceipt.asp HTH Gyula Karakas orf support www.vamsoft.com/orf Boris Lokhvitsky...

Try or TRY
Hello, Will there be any opitmization or ... when we use INT or TRY macros instead of int or try ? Which one is better to be used? Thanks, JSmith "JSmith" <jsmithmitra@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:%23G1sOVdoEHA.692@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > > Hello, > > Will there be any opitmization or ... when we use INT or TRY macros instead > of int or try ? Which one is better to be used? http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vccore/html/_core_exceptions.3a_.converting_from_mfc_exception_macros.asp -- Jeff Partch [VC++ MVP] FYI, TRY ...

Word has me click OK five times upon opening..
Most of us in the office use 2007. One lady was still using 2003 and occasionally someone would send her an XLSX file, which obviously she can't open, so finally she set aside some time for me to upgrade her to 2007. Did the upgrade and Excel works fine. When I open Word it gives me an error message "The function you are attempting to run contains macros that require macro language support". -- this message pops up 5 times upon opening Word.. not even opening a file, just Word itself. I did a Google search which told me to goto Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs...

error message when trying to delete messages in inbox
I cannot delete messages in my email inbox. When attempting to delete messages, Outlook says "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook. I continue to get the message even though I restarted Outlook. My mail works fine, but I just cannot delete anything. Does someone know a solution? Can you delete them if you hold shift as you delete? How many items are in the deleted items folder? Are you using any type of AV scanner on the message store? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coa...

Outlook Express6 Font and Encoding Questions
Can somebody please explain to me what all the font and encoding options in WinXP SP3/IE 7/OEx 6 do? I know how to set these options, but I am not really sure what all the various options do. For example: What are the encoding options supposed to do? What is the difference between Western European ISO, Western Europe Windows, UTF-7, UTF-8, User defined, and how do those affect what is typed or read? What are the best settings for newsreaders and for email, or at least what is "standard", both text and HTML? I keep getting strange characters showing up in emails I re...