Stock prices in Excel?

Version: 2004
Processor: intel

Hi Folks,

Can I set up excel so that it downloads and displays the current stock price for a certain stock every time I open the document or refresh?

I want to use my own workbook, and I'm looking for a free solution, although I might consider an inexpensive add-on.

Thanks!!
0
graybell (4)

Yes, Excel will do that.  Pop over to the Excel forum and they will explain
how:
https://www.microsoft.com/mac/help.mspx?product=Excel&app=1

On 30/03/08 6:22 AM, in article ee969b4.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"graybell@officeformac.com" <graybell@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2004
> Processor: intel
>
> Hi Folks,
>
> Can I set up excel so that it downloads and displays the current stock price
> for a certain stock every time I open the document or refresh?
>
> I want to use my own workbook, and I'm looking for a free solution, although I
> might consider an inexpensive add-on.
>
> Thanks!!

John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
http://jgmcghie.fastmail.com.au/
Sydney, Australia.  S33�53'34.20 E151�14'54.50
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
john7143 (1072)
3/30/2008 7:54:39 AM
On 3/29/08 4:22 PM, in article ee969b4.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"graybell@officeformac.com" <graybell@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2004
> Processor: intel
>
> Hi Folks,
>
> Can I set up excel so that it downloads and displays the current stock price
> for a certain stock every time I open the document or refresh?
>
> I want to use my own workbook, and I'm looking for a free solution, although I
> might consider an inexpensive add-on.
>
> Thanks!!
Yes, look in Excel help for Web query. There is a god example, and some
sample queries. As John suggested, if you have further specific problems,
post them in the Excel forum.

--
Bob Greenblatt [MVP], Macintosh
bobgreenblattATmsnDOTcom

0
bob6686 (387)

Updating stocks
After about a year of working fine, Money 2003 has suddenly stopped updating 2 stocks in a 10 stock portfolio. The stocks both still exist and Yahoo updates them instantly. What do I have to do to get 2003 to resume updating? Thanks in advance. -- SFF Which Stocks? What are the symbols you're using? Does MSN Money (http://money.msn.com) recognize them? -Mark "igorx" <igorx@cox.net> wrote in message news:Y1Btb.1320$vJ6.226@fed1read05... > After about a year of working fine, Money 2003 has suddenly stopped updating > 2 stocks in a 10 stock portfolio. The stoc...

Excel API
Hello world, I'm looking for a cheap but wonderful API to read and write excel files in both biff (2000) and xml (2007) formats. I've heard of NativeExcel by NikaSoft, but not tried it yet. I experienced SoftArtisans' OfficeWriter, expensive. Thanks for your advices, Ghislain Sorry, I forgot to mention that I want a .Net API ...

Stock Quotes download to Money 2004
Unable to download MSN money quotes to Money 2004 portfolio. Call runs, may or may not complete,update status changes, but stock prices don't change. Same result with 2002, two different ISP's, with Norton Internet Security Disabled or not, Firewall disabled or not. On XP-home. No synchronization Base Articles re 2004 vs MSN Money. Started 3/4 months ago with 2002, continued with 2004, gradually getting worse until now almost never updates. Call summary always says error, money could not connect to online quotes server. RE- base articles 312818, 276018 sound good but have n...

Excel text to columns
In Excel 2000 I downloaded my annual TD Waterhouse satement. It all downloads to one cel and trying to get just the last column into a susable for and separate it into a single column of its own is difficult. Thewre must be a simple way. Is here someone who might be able to talk back and forth with me to resolve? Thanks, Fil You can use this macro. Sub extractlastcol() For Each c In Range("a2:a161") 'Selection x = Right(c, InStr(3, c, " ")) If IsNumeric(x) Then c.Offset(, 1) = x Next End Sub -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com "fil"...

Excel Virgin...
Just trying to use Excel for the first time. I try to name columns by typing a heading across the column IE A I type Customer Name, but it puts that in cell 1 or column A, not column A as a heading. Also, where do I put the formulas. Example, what I want to do is very simple, I want a Total column that will just keep adding to it the amount in another cell that is under the heading "Amount of Sale".....that is once I figure out how to get that heading on the column. This is all very puzzling... Thanks, TK You cannot rename the column heading from A. However, you can put a ...

Excel 2000 error in Poisson function
Knowledge base article 828130 describes bug in Excel calculation of Poisson. Does anyone have a simple way to compute Poisson for values 100 to 2000 and 1000, like Poisson(200,1000,false)? It seems like Microsoft may not be planning on fixing the bug for Excel 2000 and for Mac OSX, only for Excel 2003. "John Baker" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote... >Knowledge base article 828130 describes bug in Excel >calculation of Poisson. Does anyone have a simple way to >compute Poisson for values 100 to 2000 and 1000, like >Poisson(200,1000,false)? > >It...

I keep losing saved Excel macros, what am I doing wrong?
I have made several extensive macros in Excel to speed up my work but after a couple of days they are no longer avaiable. How can I save these for more than a day or two. Likely you need to learn about personal.xls. :) http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/articles.php?action=viewarticle&artid=8 ************ Anne Troy www.OfficeArticles.com "GTNet_Boss" <GTNet_Boss@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E5202D23-F77C-46CD-B32B-11829432339E@microsoft.com... >I have made several extensive macros in Excel to speed up my work but after >a > couple of days the...

Graphing A Time Series OF Stocks
My data looks like so: Stock TradePrice TradeVolume ExecutionDateTime EFG 5.2 8 2:40:04 PM EFG 5.5 8 2:40:02 PM EFG 5.1 10 2:40:01 PM EFG 5.3 10 2:40:01 PM EFG 5.1 10 2:40:00 PM EFG 5.1 10 2:40:00 PM ABC 1.5 4 2:31:17 PM ABC 1.6 ...

Excel Template #12
Good Afternoon, Sorry but I am a little new to templates in Excel. I have created a template, which I would like to add to a toolbar, which I thought I had done although when I click on it, it opens the the actual template where as I want it to open a version of it? Please can anyone help with how I can do this?? Thanks, -- VickyC ------------------------------------------------------------------------ VickyC's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=27391 View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=490752 It sounds like y...

restrict to export records to Excel and restrict to print
Hi, It is a major requirement for us to restrict some users to export Microsoft CRM records to Excel file and to restrict them to print as stated in our implementation policies. Is there a possible workaround for this restriction? Would greatly appreciate for your fedback. Lot of thanks in advance. In v1.2 there is no easy way to do this. v3.0 should enable this via security roles. In thoery, you could do something with javascript that conditionally removed the link, but not sure how reliable it would be as it would need to do a server-based call to determine the security. Matt Parks...

Hiding/Expanding rows in Excel?
In Excel 2003 I would like to combining (for lack of a better term) several rows into one and have it structured so that when I click the main row (Call it Misc;) it would expand all the Misc,/Items rows hidden under it. I would also need to be able to add/total any numbers in the hidden rows in the main or top row. Thanks for any assistance Help > outline > Create an Outline -- Gary''s Student - gsnu200903 "Artreid" wrote: > In Excel 2003 I would like to combining (for lack of a better term) > several rows into one and have it structured so that when I cl...

Stock commission is greater than proceeds of stock sale.
I recently sold 2000 shares of stock for $0.0001 per share. Gross proceeds were $0.20. Commissions for the sale were $29.95. Net proceeds were -$29.75. I tried to enter this into Money 2004 and it will not allow negative proceeds of a stock sale. How should I record this sale? In microsoft.public.money, go3049 wrote: >I recently sold 2000 shares of stock for $0.0001 per share. Gross proceeds >were $0.20. Commissions for the sale were $29.95. Net proceeds were >-$29.75. I tried to enter this into Money 2004 and it will not allow >negative proceeds of a stock sale. ...

slow scrolling in excel
Dear readers out there, A colleage of me made some excel sheets. They are very slow with scrolling. Even when i clear all the info and tekst in the sheet; so it looks empty, it is still slow and use 100% CPU utilization. an anyone help me please? TIA Wouter. Wouter Perhaps the used range is larger than what you think. Just clearing cells will not make Excel think they are not in use. Select a sheet and hit CRTL + END keys. Where do you end up? Way down and/or across the sheet? Debra Dalgleish has info and fixes for this at http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlfaqApp.html#Unused Gord Dib...

How to record a stock award
My company started giving out stock awards instead of stock options. How should these be recorded in Money (using 2004)? I have put it in as a stock option, when they "vest" they are sold and taxes are taken out. How do you record the transaction so that the taxes are shown as withheld? Thanks. Michelle ...

COMPARE IN EXCEL
Hello, I had a user copy some information and totally messed up his master spreadsheet. We have a backup, but all his updates will be lost. I would like to compare the data from one spreadsheet to the new one. Can someone point me in the right direction on this? Thanks There is lots of stuff about comparing at Chip's site www.cpearson.com -- Bernard Liengme www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove CAPS in e-mail address "Doug V" <dthmtlgod@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eOztYxK7DHA.2676@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hello, > > I had a user copy some information ...

CONVERT function for Excel 2003
I was trying to format time in decimals to days:hours:mins format. While using microsoft excel 2003 help, they said to use CONVERT funtion for the same. But there isnt any CONVERT funtion in the Inset menu>funtions, in excel 2003. I tried for the same on Excel 2003 installed in other computers as well to confirm, but they didnt have it either. Could anyone explain why? And how could I install the CONVERT funtion on to my Excel 2003? Hi Time is stored as fractions of a day (24 hours). So to convert your data, with decimals hours in cell A1, enter in B1 =A1/24 and format B1 ...

How do I automate bracketing of text in an Excel cell?
I have a column of text that all begin and end with a bracket ([]). The text varies, but the start and finish should all show brackets. How do I automate the entry of this after all the text is entered. I tried to create a macro by typing the first bracket, then entering the "end" key and typing the end bracket. That routine copied all the text between the brackets, as well as the brackets. Any ideas? If you are looking for a macro to convert the entries to this format then try the below macro. Sub Macro1() Dim lngRow As Long For lngRow = 1 To Cells(Rows.Count, &qu...

Stock Market Challenge
Hi, I have been delegated the task of running a share competition at work I want to get the process fully automated. Is there a way of building a workbook that imports all the stock marke data, then have each team on a separate worksheet that is passwor protected. Each team can update their portfolio on their sheet and it will use th stock market data to adjust accordingly. I hope you get what I mean! Has anyone done this before, or know how should go about setting it up? Many thanks, Mark -- mevett ----------------------------------------------------------------------- mevetts...

thick stock legal sized paper printing... How?
I am unable to have the setting stick to legal sized thick stock paper... could anyone please advise how to do so? Do you want legal as the default? What version Publisher? 2007 is a little trickier. Are you setting up your printer to legal first and then the page setup? -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Myiatrou" <Myiatrou@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C30D22B5-2907-4910-AF69-74E6945E1806@microsoft.com... >I am unable to have the setting stick to legal sized thick stock paper......

Excel and Metastock
Does anyone know how I can import MetaStock data directly into Excel without using Downloader? Any help here would be appreciated. ...

Automation in excel
Hi, I would like to automate some work I have to do everyday. I have some programming background but not with excel or Access. Anyone can help me with the following, I appreciate it. I am not even sure it can be done. If I need to read some material or books, please let me know. I was thinking to write perl program, but if you can suggest easier method that would be great. I have 2 product list files in excel format. My goal is to update inventory in the first file from second file. Let's say the first original file has the format as follow: "Product#","Name","D...

How do I get real time stock quotes to my excel worksheet?
I would like to be able to get realtime stock quotes to an excel worksheet. I can receive quotes from moneycentral but they are delay 15 to 20 minutes. Please, advice me on how to get that service. Thanks, Walter walter wrote: > I would like to be able to get realtime stock quotes to an excel worksheet. I > can receive quotes from moneycentral but they are delay 15 to 20 minutes. > Please, advice me on how to get that service. > > Thanks, > > Walter There is a small group on Yahoo devoted to using Excel to do various stock market tricks. You can find it at: ht...

Excel-rolling data linked to chart/ worksheet columns keep constan
-- JJ ...

Excel recalculates formulas
I have a quick question. I upgraded to Office 2000. Now whenever I open an excel file from someone, it says "Microsoft Excel recalculates formulas when opening files last saved by an earlier version of Excel". Can I make this automatically save so I do not have to click yes or no each time? I have clicked around but have not found anything. Can you tell me how to change this? Thanks, Tanya I'm not sure if you can. But you can hit almost any key to dismiss that dialog (if I recall correctly). Enter/spacebar/escape key And if you save that workbook, then it should a...

C#, Excel and IIS on Windows 2000
Here is the problem: I have an IIS installed on my computer and a web site. When you click on the button on that website, it should save excel file. If I do it, it works fine ( but I'm an administrator on my own machine). If someone else try that same thing (calling the web site through URL), they get a message: "Error: Microsoft Excel cannot access the file '\\network_drive\some_folder'. There are several possible reasons: � The file name or path name does not exist. � The file you're trying to open is being used by another program. Close the document in the other progr...