Sorry to create a new post, but I have tried the other posts' suggestions... can't install new Office 2004?

Hello there,

I'm hoping someone can please help me to help a friend who is in need.
I am in Germany to attend his wife's unexpected funeral and help him
out with his 4 young children and his small business. Well, one of the
things I did was convince him to switch from an old PC to a new iMac.
And then I got him to buy a full version of Office 2004 rather than use
Apple's Windows emulator and run his old PC version of Office. So the
new Mac Office 2004 arrives, and one of his 'know it all' friends puts
the disc in the iMac and starts the installation - without first
removing the trial version.

I've removed the Office 2004 files, both trial and full versions,
cleaned up the hard drive as much as I can of any MS files, and then
started the install over. Then I came to here and I see that this is a
somewhat common problem (why didn't Microsoft just build an
auto-removal function into the full version disc?!?!). There was no
'read me' file on this disc, and the only place it states to remove the
trial version is in a normal block of text on page 4 of the
generalistic-reading brochure in the disc case.

To describe my problem, the Setup Assistant goes through the steps as
it should, and installs the full Office onto the iMac. When I launch
any of the Office apps., a window pops up saying (in German so I can't
write it verbatim) that this Office isn't a full version, but an update
version for Office 2001, and it asks if I want to locate the 2001
version to link this update. I have a choice to Quit or Proceed to
locate the 2001 version.

Problem is that there never has been a 2001 version on this iMac. I
assumed the problem is from not having properly removed the trial
version. I've spent three hours reading every related thread that I
could find on this newsgroup, and I spent the whole day trying all the
suggestions including - Microsoft de-installer, manually removing all
files, removing prefs, repairing permissions, restarting and
re-repairing permissions, re-installing system software and bundled
software from the original discs and then installing full version
again, updating OSX software, updating Office software (this was funny
because I was able to update the installed full versions but they
wouldn't launch as I described above), again re-installling original
OSX software then downloading a new trial version from MS.com and
installing it followed by properly removing it followed by installing
the full version... still the same window pops up when I try to launch
an Office application???

I'm very sorry for perpetuating this topic, but I am in a bind because
I will be leaving Germany soon, but I can't leave my friend without his
computer working properly to run his business. And sincerely being
honest, I suggested to him to go back to using his old PC in order to
get his taxes filed in time, but when we plugged it in and turned it on
the CPU started to smoke!! It sounds crazy but the old computer called
it quits.
I hope someone will be able to help please.

Gratefully,
Jim

Hi John -

You're quite justified in starting a new thread... This is a completely
different situation than any I've seen before & frankly don't know what to
suggest.

Despite the fact that you obviously seem to know your stuff I'm gonna go for
the basics first :) Take a good look at the install disk itself - not the
package - and make sure it *doesn't* say "Upgrade" somewhere. Even if not,
double-click the icon & examine the files to see if there are any clues
there - it's not impossible that the content may actually be an upgrade that
got packaged as a full version.

Hopefully some of the others will have more to offer, but I'll try to
investigate a bit more.

Good Luck |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 1/24/07 7:07 PM, in article
1169683675.263042.325640@s48g2000cws.googlegroups.com, "MacSince1984"
<jimlimultimate@yahoo.com> wrote:

> [...]
> wouldn't launch as I described above), again re-installling original
> OSX software then downloading a new trial version from MS.com and
> installing it followed by properly removing it followed by installing
> the full version... still the same window pops up when I try to launch
> an Office application???
>
> I'm very sorry for perpetuating this topic, but I am in a bind because
> I will be leaving Germany soon, but I can't leave my friend without his
> computer working properly to run his business. And sincerely being
> honest, I suggested to him to go back to using his old PC in order to
> get his taxes filed in time, but when we plugged it in and turned it on
> the CPU started to smoke!! It sounds crazy but the old computer called
> it quits.
> I hope someone will be able to help please.

John,
I have exactly the same problem and have tried what you have tried.
Sorry i don't have a solution, but wanted to let you know that others
share your pain.  I spoke to MS support and guess what they said i
should try...that i should wash my disc with soap/water.  I'm serious.
Anyway, if I come across any solutions, I'll return and post.
Thanks.

-Dru

0
andrewy (5)
1/25/2007 6:28:33 AM
Hi Jim:

Sorry:  The problem is that they have sold you the wrong package.

You have an "Upgrade" version there, and it is looking for a previous
version to authenticate against.  When you see that prompt, you need to
insert the Office 2001 for Mac CD to authenticate.  Then the installation
will proceed.

If you do not have access to an Office 2001 CD, you need to take that
version back to the shop and change it for a Full Version disk.

There is no way round it.  Sorry.

On 25/1/07 11:07 AM, in article

--

Please reply to the newsgroup to maintain the thread.  Please do not email
me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie <john@mcghie.name>
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh.  Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

0
john7143 (1073)
1/26/2007 6:08:41 AM
Hi,

It's probably not difficult to locate a legitimate copy of Office 2001. eBay
is a good place to start looking. I see copies for about $25 US there now.

-Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

Quoting from "John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]"
<john@mcghie.name>, in article C1DFE619.5CFF2%john@mcghie.name, on [DATE:

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

MVPs are not Microsoft Employees
MVP info http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

0
goldkey74 (611)
1/27/2007 1:06:31 AM
I forgot to mention that if you like the office assistants you can copy them
from the Office 2001 install disk to the Office 2004 Assistants folder.
There's also clip-art you can copy, but the clip-art sound files probably
won't work right.

-Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

Quoting from "Jim Gordon MVP" <goldkey74@WarmerThanWarmMail.com>, in article
C1E00FC7.1535F%goldkey74@WarmerThanWarmMail.com, on [DATE:

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

MVPs are not Microsoft Employees
MVP info http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

0
goldkey74 (611)

new email set regarding against an old case
Hi all, When I recevie an email in my queue in crm and its subject is identical to a previous case it is automatically set regarding the old case. how can i stop this from happening? Regards Ian ...

CRM 3.0, Office 2003 Pro and Business Data Lookup snap-in question
Hi, I have a Windows XP SP2 machine with Office 2003 Pro installed, Microsoft CRM for Outlook component. I installed BDL plugin/snap-in but the snap-in doesn't show up. I read the document and still it doesn't work. I even changed the registry key LoadBehaviour and set it to value '3'. What seems to be the problem and does anybody make this BDL work? I am facing the same problem. I would apprecaite if some can help us on this. Thanks. "Benjamin Fallar III" wrote: > Hi, > > I have a Windows XP SP2 machine with Office 2003 Pro installed, > Micros...

new mail desktop alert for custom folder
Hi all, I created a new folder in my Mailbox. It's possible to activate new mail desktop alert mfor this folder? How can i do that? Thank you! -- wasssu "wasssu" <wasssu.64a858b@outlookbanter.com> wrote in message news:wasssu.64a858b@outlookbanter.com... > I created a new folder in my Mailbox. It's possible to activate new > mail desktop alert mfor this folder? How can i do that? New message alerts work automatically only for your default folders. If you create a rule that moves incoming messages to your new folder, the rule can ...

New Business Has Cash Flying In
One simple click of your mouse is simply going to fill your wallet. This system is a dream for any one trying to market a business. You are going to get your hands on a system that flat out works. Enough with the talk go see what we are talking about. http://blazebrown82.aonetimeoffer.com/TravelWorld.aspx ...

automatically emailing form created in Excel
I have created a template for entering time in Excel. Is there a way (other than file; send to recipient as attachment) to create a link that will automatically email the document to a pre-specified recipient? Am I working backwards? Should I create the form in Outlook? Thanks ...

How do you create a before and after date query?
I am working on getting my vacations tables to work better. What I am trying to do is to get a query for the 'StartDate' of staff vacations. There can be between 3 - 7 weeks of vacation for staff, with each week having it own 'StartDate'. The 'TBL-Vacation-2007' has seven 'StartDate' fields. (Start-1, Start-2, etc.) all in date/time format. I have created queries that will select only 'not null' entries in each 'StatDate' field, and append them together to create a table called: table: "VacStartDate" fields: "Name"...

How can I create a new file with M2004
It always appear error message when i create a new file, but the sample file... Click File, New, New File. If you get an error, what is it? But the sample file. ....what? "Fergus" <good_evening2000@yahoo.com.hk> wrote in message news:0b7701c36185$83337c80$a501280a@phx.gbl... > It always appear error message when i create a new file, > but the sample file... ...

batch create mailboxes E2K7?
How do i batch create mailboxes for an entire organization in e2k7?, do i need to set a recipient policy and process it? Exchange Server 2007: Bulk creation of mailboxes using Exchange Management Shell http://exchangepedia.com/blog/2006/11/exchange-server-2007-bulk-creation-of.html Exchange Server 2007: Bulk mailbox-enabling users using Exchange Shell http://exchangepedia.com/blog/2006/12/id-written-about-how-to-bulk-create.html -- Bharat Suneja MVP - Exchange www.zenprise.com NEW blog location: exchangepedia.com/blog ---------------------------------------------- "Guillermo Lov...

creating a count of dates by quarter
I am having difficulty building a line chart that shows two lines. One line represents that number of people enrolled into the program during that quarter. The other line represents the number of people disenrolled in the program during the quarter. Below a sample of the table I am working with: NAME ENROLLMENT MARITAL DISENROLL John,3/2/2008,S,5/1/2008 Sue,10/3/2007.M,5/4/2008 Tim,11/21/2007,S,3/1/2008 Jane,12/3/2007.M,4/4/2008 I know that the Y axis would be the count of people within the date and the X axis would be the year and quarter, with the two different lines represen...

rules are creating duplicates.
My rules are creating various duplicates. I am using move not copy. Same rules work fine in oe6. any help thanks greg Greg <burgh@core.com> wrote: > My rules are creating various duplicates. I am using move not copy. > Same rules work fine in oe6. Include the "stop processing more rules" action on your move rules. -- Brian Tillman ...

Reinstalled Office X suite, now can't find data (mail, addresses, rules, etc.)
I reinstalled Office X after redoing Panther to 10.3.3. I was surprised to click on the Entourage icon and have it come up _clean,_ without any of the data accumulated in my last couple of years. I saved my email addresses in an Export file, so that's fine, but all of the other data must be somewhere! Where? Thanks. In article <f2c0d11.0405232047.4c9a17ee@posting.google.com>, bluefire@well.com (Bob Jacobson) wrote: > I reinstalled Office X after redoing Panther to 10.3.3. I was > surprised to click on the Entourage icon and have it come up _clean,_ > without any o...

creating a certain chart from a certain dataset
Hi. I have some data about failures. the log file is like this (but really much longer): app1 03/04/2006 08:51 app2 03/04/2006 09:42 app1 03/04/2006 18:33 app3 03/05/2006 00:14 app1 03/05/2006 00:21 app2 03/05/2006 01:52 app1 03/06/2006 02:51 app3 03/06/2006 08:54 I would like to create some charts but don't know how. ex: app 3/4 3/5 3/6 app1 x x x app2 x app3 x ========================================= Where there is a dot or something to indicate the occurrence, and app1 is one row, app2 another row etc. can someone point me in...

creating a link between countif
Is there any way in excel to create a link between the result of countif formula to those occurances in another sheet (database)? or even to show these occurances within a new sheet? Any ideas would b very helpful -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com To display just the rows that match some criteria you can use Data, Filter, AutoFilter. You can then copy those matching rows to another location. You can also use Data, Filter, Advanced Filter to copy matching rows directly to another location. Both of these filtering operations use criteria you specify, similar to the COUNTIF ...

Public Folders "Owners not able to create sub-folders" #2
Nicholas, Many thanks for your reply, but what I am talking about is sub-folders of an already created top level public folder. Our system is already restricted to only allow IT Support members to create top level public folders. when these are created and the personnel who needs to manage that public folder is given the appropriate Client Permissions they still cannot add subfolders. Many thanks in advance. "Nicholas Basile(MSFT)" <nicbas@online.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:%23d5MljfJEHA.1132@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > In the Exchange System Manager, Expand Fold...

Creating Stationary
Can I use a single graphic as my stationary header in Outlook? It works in Outlook Express, but Outlook 2003 turns the graphic into backgroundd (multiples of the same image that fill the page). Thanks for your help. --David drh@sover.net ...

KDC Errors after installation
All, I've twice installed MSCRM 1.2 on SBS2003 & had the same problems in both instances... would appreicate any comments. 103 Critical events in the system log yesterday all with reference - KDC - Event ID 11 'There are multiple accounts with name host/sbs.<domain>.local of type DS_SERVICE_PRINCIPAL_NAME.' There are other recurring errors I've seen in both installs but this one is the most prominent. Have reviewed the kb which references a procedure on W2K server. Any ideas appreicated. TIA, Joe I have also noticed the same proble...

create a variable for all forms
Hi, I have a variable to link pictures to a form Me.ImgStock.Picture = "s:\pictures\" & Me.FOTO Everytime the picture path is modified, i need to enter in all forms and change the path to Me.ImgStock.Picture = "k:\pictures\" & Me.FOTO Is there a way to change the picture path only once, and all the forms to get the right path???? thanks in advance -- Thanks, Sorry if my english isn''t correct, but I''m from Potugal ;) Emanuel Violante Galeano Sure, you can create a table with 1 record, Path or a global variable. The table is pre...

hello everyone.im new here and have a question.
i was having Seagate 160 gb hardisk and recently i got a new 320gb seagate hdd and put it as secondary disk. nw i have 4 drives i.r (C:,D:,F:,G:)..'C & D belongs to previous hardisk'.. 2 days back .i was on facebook and someone sent me a message.(link) and when i clicked it a file is downloaded automatically and from that time drives f: and g: are not opening correctly.maybe its due to some virus and ther's no use of scanning for viruses.i tried "norton, eset nod32, mc afee, avast ,avg.".but didnt work..................... if you try to open them directly...

Create Categories
I have data in a table which I imported from a Survey Monkey excel file. I have begun to create a report (in design view) using the fields from this table. My problem is I don't know how to separate (or group) the fields by category based on the data I have in the table. Each question in the survey is one of the fields in the Access table. Unfortunately, there is no way to tell what fields belong to which category based on the data in the table. The survey had 37 questions which were grouped by category: Professionalism - 6 questions Quality of Work - 10 questions Contribut...

Questions
I have a spreadsheet set up with pricing from vendors. Here is my goal to achieve if possible but I am not sure since I just know the basics. Example: (this is how I have it setup now) Description Date Price Widget A 9/25/05 $0.04 Widget B 8/20/05 $0.75 Widget C 9/25/05 $0.15 Example: (this is how I want it to look after the fact) Description Date Price Last Date Old Price Change % Change Widget A 9/30/05 $0.06 9/25/05 $0.04 +$0.02 +50.0% Widget B 9/30/05 $0.75 8/20/05 - ...

CRM 4.0 data migration manager install problem
I have created successfully a 4.0 CRM install and all runs fine. (Its on a new clean virtual windows 2003 system, 32 bit) I wanted to load the sample data so I needed to install the data migration manager to do so. The install hangs on the fact that I not not have C++ runtime of min 8.x installed. But I do. I've installed the C++ 2005 and 2008 runtime distributions and they appear to have installed correctly. I just installed a visual studio 2008 with C++ to try that. The data migration installer still wants a C++ runtime installed. Where does that installer think C++ should...

Office 12 and CRM 3.0 SFO Client
Can anyone advise on a date to test CRM 3.0 SFO that can be installed on Office 12? ...

how to create an autocalc field
I want to create something like this... "5/T1ZF/VANCBCZK0MD/VANCBC08DS2" where 5 is incremental T1ZF is derived from another table field VANCBCZK0MD from another table field VANCBC08DS2 from another table field. Is 5 incremental because its an autonumber? Create a txt box, Go to record source and click .. bit next to it, then go to expression. Use the navigation to locate each part and add the calculation between so it will be something like.... [Table1][Number5Field] / [Table2/TIZF Field] / [Table3/VANCBCZK0MD Field] etc Hope this helps a bit emerlita@shaw.ca wrote: >I ...

Email address not being created in AD users and Computers
When I go to create a new user in AD Users and Computers, the SMTP and X.400 addresses do not show up in the Email Addresses Tab. I can manually create these addresses and even go the the Update Recepient Policy of the System Manager of the Exchange Server and manually update. However, this new user does not show up as a contact in Outlook. Any ideas?? HOw long are you waiting? Object creation takes some time, and then for the GAL it has to be pushed to the GC's. IN our envorinment, if we log on to the mailbox right after it is created, the whole process takes about 30 mins.... ...

sorry. test