Short questions about Mac upgrade to 3004 Pro

Greetings -

I have a 667 G4 Titanium Powerbook (with a gig o' RAM) as my main
system, running Office X. I'm hoping to upgrade from the regular
version to the Pro to work with a major client.

1. Can the non-VPC Office X be upgraded to Office 2004 Pro?

2. Will VPC run on my aging laptop in limited usage?

3. In August, I tried installing the test drive for Office 2004
(non-VPC), but apparently I had installed it some time back (although I
used it little or not at all). Would not install. Is there a way I
could demo the Pro version before upgrading/buying? Sometimes software
companies will issue a 2nd demo license if one explains the
circumstances.

4. The better solution, I believe, will be an Intel Mac running
Windows. But that's a year or so away for me. Any word on, let's say,
Office 2007?

TIA...

On 8/9/06 16:58, in article
1157731124.878383.278530@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com, "Chuck M"
<chuckmiller@new.rr.com> wrote:

> Greetings -
>
> I have a 667 G4 Titanium Powerbook (with a gig o' RAM) as my main
> system, running Office X. I'm hoping to upgrade from the regular
> version to the Pro to work with a major client.
>
> 1. Can the non-VPC Office X be upgraded to Office 2004 Pro?

Yes, according to this page:
<http://www.microsoft.com/mac/howtobuy.aspx?pid=upgrade>
you can use the Pro upgrade package if you're a licensed user of:
>  Office v. X, Office 2001, Office 98 or any of the individual applications in
> these product suites, including promotional bundles.

> 2. Will VPC run on my aging laptop in limited usage?
Yes, but not very fast. It's barely useable on my 1.33GHz PBG4 with 1Gb ram,
but your definition of 'useable' may vary from mine.

> 3. In August, I tried installing the test drive for Office 2004
> (non-VPC), but apparently I had installed it some time back (although I
> used it little or not at all). Would not install. Is there a way I
> could demo the Pro version before upgrading/buying? Sometimes software
> companies will issue a 2nd demo license if one explains the
> circumstances.
I don't believe there is a demo version of office pro, since it consists of
a standard Office install plus a standard VPC install.

> 4. The better solution, I believe, will be an Intel Mac running
> Windows. But that's a year or so away for me. Any word on, let's say,
> Office 2007?

The only word is that:
A.  they're working on it
B.  there won't be an Intel compatible version of VPC (but you can run
windows in Parallels, Crossover ot Boot Camp)
C.  There will be no VBA in it.

My best guess for a release date is middle of next year at the earliest.

--
Barry Wainwright
Microsoft MVP (see http://mvp.support.microsoft.com for details)

0
barry5268 (197)
9/8/2006 4:14:12 PM
I much appreciate the useful info. (Sorry my fingers called it Office
3004.)

I won't need VPC to do much work on my system. Primarily, it will be
to:

* participate in on-line group training using interactive software that
is PC only. 90% of what I do is listen to a speaker, ask an occasional
question, offer an opinion (with keyboard, not microphone).

* use Internet-based software to work on some of the client's projects.
Most Mac browsers can't use them, though Mozilla has some capabilities.

Now it's back to the Microsoft site to see if there's a test drive of
VPC available.

Can't resist asking an OT question. How come in Word X, I can't mix ITC
Garamond regular and ultra italic in the same word  - note: same word -
 without it printing goofy? (With a what looks like a word space
between the two parts of the word?) Another of my client's has a name
that starts out in regular and ends in the ultra italic. Won't print
right for either of us (both Macs; his running OS9.x). Tried various
kerning; nope.

Hi Chuck -

Although Barry has address each question very well I just thought I'd throw
in another 2� worth:

1- Nothing to add except that 2004 Std & Pro differ only in that Pro
includes VPC

2- I run VPC/Win XP on a Dual 2GHz G5/1.5GB and find it to be "acceptable" -
comparable (a tad slower) to the 1.6 AMD Sempron/1 GB system I use at work.

3- See #1... Word, Excel & PPt are identical in both (S/T as well)

4- ...or an Intel Mac running Leopard? Office 2007 is still in Beta and as
Barry says, MS has not yet indicated a release date.

I get the impression that you have an immediate need & a limited budget :)
Based on what I've gathered from a number of professionals, you might want
to consider going with the 13" White MacBook (*not* the MacBook Pro), load
it up with RAM & use Parallels, Crossover or Boot Camp as Barry suggested as
an interim solution... I wouldn't be surprised to see more new systems from
Apple after the first of the year anyway.

--
Regards |:>)
Bob Jones

"Chuck M" <chuckmiller@new.rr.com> wrote in message
> Greetings -
>
> I have a 667 G4 Titanium Powerbook (with a gig o' RAM) as my main
> system, running Office X. I'm hoping to upgrade from the regular
> version to the Pro to work with a major client.
>
> 1. Can the non-VPC Office X be upgraded to Office 2004 Pro?
>
> 2. Will VPC run on my aging laptop in limited usage?
>
> 3. In August, I tried installing the test drive for Office 2004
> (non-VPC), but apparently I had installed it some time back (although I
> used it little or not at all). Would not install. Is there a way I
> could demo the Pro version before upgrading/buying? Sometimes software
> companies will issue a 2nd demo license if one explains the
> circumstances.
>
> 4. The better solution, I believe, will be an Intel Mac running
> Windows. But that's a year or so away for me. Any word on, let's say,
> Office 2007?
>
> TIA...

0
CyberTaz
9/8/2006 4:53:47 PM
Thanks. A laptop that has much (doesn't need to be all) of the current
processor speeds and has the Intel chip will be what I'm looking for.
The 13" White MacBook might be fine - IF it supports a second monitor.
Got to have that. I use a 2nd monitor in my home office, and have
another in the office of the monthly I work for (freelance). Because of
the 2nd monitor, the size of the laptop screen isn't crucial.

Didn't find a VPC test drive at Mactopia.

As a new participant in these forums, I'll now take my Word question to
the Word forum (assuming there is one).

Thanks again...

I'm sure there is no test drive of VPC because it requires a live copy of
Windows OS in order to be of any value.

IIRC, the MacBook does support an external display - as per the Apple web
site:

Graphics and Video Support
  a.. Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with
main memory1
  b.. Extended desktop and video mirroring: Simultaneously supports full
native resolution on the built-in display and up to 1920 x 1200 pixels on an
external display, both at millions of colors
  --

> Thanks. A laptop that has much (doesn't need to be all) of the current
> processor speeds and has the Intel chip will be what I'm looking for.
> The 13" White MacBook might be fine - IF it supports a second monitor.
> Got to have that. I use a 2nd monitor in my home office, and have
> another in the office of the monthly I work for (freelance). Because of
> the 2nd monitor, the size of the laptop screen isn't crucial.
>
> Didn't find a VPC test drive at Mactopia.
>
> As a new participant in these forums, I'll now take my Word question to
> the Word forum (assuming there is one).
>
> Thanks again...

0
CyberTaz
9/8/2006 7:33:07 PM
Thanks, CyberTaz - for your answers here and in the Word forum. I'll
try the character spacing this weekend.

"I'm sure there is no test drive of VPC because it requires a live copy
of
Windows OS in order to be of any value."

If I read the MSN site correctly, it ships with Windows XP. So I
interpret you to be saying NOT that I also need to buy Windows but that
a test drive would be too difficult with both involved (perhaps size of
the download). If that's right, no reply needed.

On 9/8/06 11:14 AM, in article C1275564.350A8%barry@mvps.org.INVALID, "Barry
Wainwright [MVP]" <barry@mvps.org.INVALID> wrote:

> On 8/9/06 16:58, in article
> 1157731124.878383.278530@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com, "Chuck M"
> <chuckmiller@new.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> Greetings -
>>
>> I have a 667 G4 Titanium Powerbook (with a gig o' RAM) as my main
>> system, running Office X. I'm hoping to upgrade from the regular
>> version to the Pro to work with a major client.

>> 2. Will VPC run on my aging laptop in limited usage?
> Yes, but not very fast. It's barely useable on my 1.33GHz PBG4 with 1Gb ram,
> but your definition of 'useable' may vary from mine.

The system requirements for Virtual PC 7 and Office 2004 Professional
Edition <http://www.microsoft.com/mac/howtobuy.aspx?pid=sysreq> indicate
that Virtual PC 7 requires a 700 MHz processor, so I don't know if it will
run on your computer.  I would normally recommend trying out the software
first, but since there is no Test Drive available, that won't work.

Virtual PC 6.1, which may still be available, should run on your machine.
<http://www.microsoft.com/mac/howtobuy.aspx?pid=sysreq#vpc>

--
Mickey Stevens (Microsoft MVP for Office:mac)
Office & Mac Resources: <http://home.earthlink.net/~mickey.stevens/>

Upgrade questions
For some reason I am a little spooked about the upgrade to 2.0 from 1.3 x. I wonder if I may ask some questions: 1) Data loss- Had a guy who upgraded from 1.2 who lost all his purchase history- that is not good. Does this happen with 1.3 or is it only a upgrade problem? 2) In the past I would just unistall the old version and then install the new and then connect with the Admin.. do I need to go to admin and upgrade? How does that work? Any white papers or step by step that you could send me would be great. 4) Does QS Import work? I have had some say yes and others say no. 5) How ...

Upgrade CRM 1.2 to CRM 3.0
Hi all, I have a problem when I try to do upgrade CRM 1.2 to CRM 3.0 When the installation going to Starting Activity Database Upgrade, show me this error when trying to adding a attribute in table ActivityBase. 11:22:24| Info| Adding attribute :StatusCode To Entity : Task 11:51:22| Error| Install exception.System.Exception: Error de la acción Microsoft.Crm.Setup.Server.InstallDatabaseAction. ---> System.Reflection.TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation. ---> System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException: I/O error (torn page) detected ...

Installing 2007 OHS after uninstalling word, ppt and excel 2003 pro
I have just uninstalled Word, PPT and Excel 2003 Pro so I can install these 3 programs in the 2007 versions. I am fearful that I might not be able to use my Outlook 2003 after I install these new versions. My questions are: 1. Will Outlook 2003 use the Word 2007 email editor now (I know there were issues in the past)? 2. When I install the new versions do I have to keep any of the information from the 2003 version? Will it prompt me as I install? 3. If there are major issues I can't resolve right away can I simply uninstall my new versions and reinstall my 2003 again so I ...

Lay-out question
I am trying to get the space between lines very small, however before it gets close enough the lettering starts to cut off? I would like to have just a tiny spce between the letters on lines above and below. It is going to depend on the size font or the font itself. If you use 10 pt Times, the cut off is .07 sp, even then there is some loss. Arial looks good at 10 pts and ..07 sp. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Pete DeKalb" <PeteDeKalb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DE1BE4B7-0FA7-...

A few basic questions for a newb coming from VB6
Hi All, Been away from programming for a while and just d/l'd the trial version of VS10 Pro and am playing around in VB. I've noticed more than a few differences between VB6 and VB10. That's OK though...we must evolve right? Here a few very basic things that have me stumped. I've looked in the documentation, but the examples are more "technical" than I think the answers call for. I'm hoping someone can help. I have a bunch of labels on a form that I want to write thru while iterating thru a loop. In VB6 this was easy with Control arrays. ...

OWA
We are getting ready to make OWA available over the Internet to our users. What types of security precautions/measures to most of you usually take. I made the OWA site an SSL only site. Other than that, the only security in place is the users need to type in their username/password/domain. Should there be another layer before/after this? Is it a good idea to expose it in this way to the Internet? Thank you for your comments. Which version of Exchange? If you're using Exchange 2003 and have a Front-End/Back-End configuration, use Forms-Based Authentication: 830827 How to Use Forms...

Date and Time Short Cut
Is there a shortcut for Date and Time? I thought it use to be ctl+d but that does not work. Any help would be greatly appreciated. ...

Question on Random number generation
I have a column of numbers, some with money values of 0.00 and others greater than 0.00. I want to create another column that uses the values from the first such that if the number is greater than 0, use that numer else generate a random number between 1.00 and 12,000.00. How would I do this? Hi Jack! Use: =IF(A1>0,A1,ROUND(RAND()*12000,0)) If you want two decimal places, change the last 0 to 2. -- Regards Norman Harker MVP (Excel) Sydney, Australia njharker@optusnet.com.au "Jack" <nfr@nospam.com> wrote in message news:O02gU8JVEHA.3332@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... >I ...

Questions regarding Data center operation
Hi, I have over 8 years of IT experience but very new to the Data Center space and have 4 questions. If someone can answer, I would really appreciate! You can consider these questions more of a brainstorming ideas. 1. If a facilities capacity is re-classified as 5 MW lower than it was previously, what needs to happen here? 2. We need to expand Network capacity at a facility by 2 times but for only 20% more money, how can we do it? 3. Where to start if you are responsible for tech refresh in existing facility? 4. During tech refresh planning you find out about a delay in delivery...

how to convert a CString variable to unsigned short array one?
Hi, In my unicode VC6 app, how to convert a CString variable to unsigned short array? ....... CString strRst; unsigned short strOleChars[100]; strOleChars = strRst; //??? Thank you. Is ConvertStringToBSTR() what you are looking for? AliR. "David" <David_Wang_Xian@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:e6gbA3avFHA.720@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl... > Hi, > In my unicode VC6 app, how to convert a CString variable to unsigned short > array? > ...... > CString strRst; > unsigned short strOleChars[100]; > strOleChars = strRst; //??? > > Thank you. > > ...

Questions about RMS, need help.
1. Does RMS have the ability to track lost sales? i.e. Customer walks in and asks for a product, but product is not in stock and he then goes to a competitor. Is there a way to track this? Suggesestions? 2. Restocking Levels specifically towards predictive ordering. Does it provide or track predicative purchasing trends to increased sales of certain items. Is there an add-on that can do this? 3. Is there a way to have a window come up and poll the people at the till/cashier to track how customers heard about them? (Marketing Questions). This would help determine what form of media is br...

pro forma
What does this term mean and how does it relate to financial statements? pro forma Done as a formality; perfunctory. Provided in advance so as to prescribe form or describe items: a pro forma copy of a document. As it pertains to financial statements see here........ http://www.investorwords.com/p5.htm#proforma Gord Dibben Excel MVP On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 15:23:02 -0800, "Aysendak" <Aysendak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >What does this term mean and how does it relate to financial statements? Thanks, your answer and the link you provided were a great help. &quo...

How do I create spine labels on Office XP pro?
I am trying to make spine labels for binders used in our businesses. Does anyone know how I would go about this or if it is possible using MS Office XP Pro? Yes it is. There are a couple of different ways to do it but I just start with a page turned landscape. I've done this innWord and Publisher, depending on what programs I have access to. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "LadyLiberty" <LadyLiberty@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:955CA240-0913-487F-9AEF-C470870429A8@mic...

2008 Office for Mac
Super Suite online redemption doesn't seem to ask for any sort of proof of purchase or sales receipt? Does MS contact you later? Download the PDF coupon and read the small print. I'm pretty sure the online redemption will tell you--probably at the end--to mail some stuff in. The coupon will tell you what you need. tom.yearian@ch2m.com wrote: > Super Suite online redemption doesn't seem to ask for any sort of > proof of purchase or sales receipt? Does MS contact you later? > > This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this for...

CDaoWorkspace Question
I am writing a MFC Dialog program with MS Access Database support. My OS is Windows XP SP2. Previously, I used VC.Net 2003 to these create program without error. But, Now I am using VC++.Net 2005 to create this program, it has Run-Time error. The error code is 3028. What's wrong of my program??? === Error Message === DAO Call Failed. pDaoState->m_pDAODBEngine->_30_CreateWorkspace( V_BSTR(&varName), V_BSTR(&varUserName), V_BSTR(&varPassword), &m_pDAOWorkspace) In file f:\rtm\vctools\vc7libs\ship\atlmfc\src\mfc\daocore.cpp on line 577 scode = 800A0BD4 Error Code...

Rules and ALerts question
Using Office 2003 and Windows XP. I put a new Rule and Alert in the system and having a problem. When I ask the program to run the rule now, it works BUT when it simply is running, the rule does not work. Why should this be? I am removing an item by the subject and moving it to deleted files. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks! Is it possible that more than one rule is acting on a particular message and producing unexpected results? Try adding "stop processing more rules" to your rules and see if that helps. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent t...

Short time vs short date

age old question, what is best though? Outlook Calendar sharing
Sharing a calender between me and my receptionist? We dont have exchange. I was thinking of using yahoo as a conduit, but is it possible to set up an automatic synch every 5 minutes, so the changed are seemless? If not, what are my options? Basically, if changes take effect on both machines at the same time, or somewhat close to that..... Just the Calender, not email, nor contacts..as the receptionist has her own email address and contacts... Will intellisynch do an automatic synch with yahoo every 5 minutes or something? Or maybe something else like that? TIA paranoid <seanNO@...

basic calculation question
I'm trying to add the number of times "C" and "M" appear in the ClassCode field on a report, this calculation is not working, it is only counting the "C". Please tell me what I'm doing wrong...I've searched this site and am not finding the answers that I need. =Sum(Abs([ClassCode]="C" And "M")) =Abs(Sum(ClassCode = "C" OR ClassCode = "M")) You can't short cut the boolean comparison. YOu may have meant to count if BOTH C and M are present somewhere in the field. To do that you could try =Abs(Su...

Upgrade requirements?
I know that the Microsoft Office 2004 upgrade requires a valid license for Office X, or one of its components. I need to know whether I need the original install CD to do the upgrade. My problem is that I bought MS Word X for an elderly, computer-illiterate friend. He has a valid license for Word X. However he has probably lost the install CD. I want to buy him the upgrade, but I don't want to buy the product from scratch again. I buy Office for myself under a university site license, so I have no experience with the upgrade. Thanks in advance, David Wagner In article <BDDDFD2B....

Registry question
Hi Is it possible to change the registry so that when a Contact is viewed, it will be possible to see the 'Created Date' and the 'Last Amended Date'? That would be very helpful if it can be done. I have my Outlook 2002 addressbook shared with Outlook Express 6. I would like to view the 'Created Date'/'Last Amended Date' either when OE or Outlook is launched.. I look forward to hearing back from you. Thanks Julia. You don't need to use the registry for this; you can just add the Created fields to a table view of your Contacts folder. For example...

POP3 Connector Manager Question
When setting accounts up to pull email into exchange through the POP3 Connectors, the shortest amount of times you can set it to check for new mail from the pop3 accounts is 4 times/hr (or 15 minutes). This is very long and was curous if theirs a registry change that could override this to be less than 15 minutes... Not possible to change it. If you have a full-time Internet connection, best to avoid using the POP connector and host your own mail.... ]coreyc wrote: > When setting accounts up to pull email into exchange > through the POP3 Connectors, the shortest amount of times &...

Question About Internet Explorer
Hello ! How to obtain admittance to the running instance of Internet Explorer ( i want to get information of href's in the html document). Thank You! Alex Take a look at the following KB article How To Connect to a Running Instance of Internet Explorer http://support.microsoft.com/?id=176792 -- Cheers Check Abdoul [VC++ MVP] ----------------------------------- "Alex Dmitriev" <firejump@mail.ru> wrote in message news:echA2YHeEHA.3476@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl... > Hello ! > How to obtain admittance to the running instance of Internet Explorer ( >...

If Then Text Question
I have a list of customer numbers and serial numbers. I need a formula that will find the customer number in a list, then fill the cell with the serial number (contains alpha and numeric characters, ie BBB1001). Example: If the value in cell A2 is equal to 1234, then find 1234 in a range (B2:B100), and retrive the serial number in a range (C2:C100). Thank you for your help. Hi use =VLOOKUP(A2,B2:C100,2,0) -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany Debi wrote: > I have a list of customer numbers and serial numbers. I need a > formula that will find the customer number in a list, t...

CD Key required for upgrade from v.X to 2004?
Hello, A few years ago I purchased MS office v.X when it first came out. Unfortunately somewhere over the last few years I lost the CD and packaging. My question is if I buy the office 2004 upgrade will I need to enter the old CD key during the install process? I have v.X installed and it works just fine but I worry that if I buy the 2004 upgrade it's going to have problems if I can not find the cd key. Thoughts? RJ Sent using the Microsoft Entourage 2004 for Mac Test Drive. Actually, I think it would be easier if it asked for the CD key, as Adobe does, but apparently what Office ...