Sharing documents

Version: 2008
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Power PC

When I e-mail documents I create with Word 2008 for MAC to my colleagues who are using windows versions of Word (Word 2003 for example) they claim the cannot open them or they cannot read them. This never happened until I moved from the 2004 version to the 2008 version of Microsoft Office for MAC. Any ideas?
0
mb1970 (1)

This is because Word 2008 uses the new docx "Open XML" file format, which is
not recognized by some earlier versions of Office.  To avoid this issue, be
sure to save the file in "Word 97-2004 document (.doc)" format in the "Save
as" dialog.

See this page for more information:
http://snipurl.com/3keos

--
Mickey Stevens (Microsoft MVP for Office:mac)
Office & Mac Resources: <http://home.earthlink.net/~mickey.stevens/>

Although Mickey's point is valid I'd humbly suggest a different approach :-)

Any version of Win Office 2000 or later should have no problem opening OXML
files if the users have properly maintained their software via updates. The
OXML Converters can also be downloaded separately. IMHO, it's unfair to
expect you to sacrifice many of the features of 2008 by saving in the prior
format in order to "dumb down" your documents to their level.

If email recipients are having problems of the type you describe it's more
likely the result of one or more of several other causes... The most
probable of which is that the email system on their end is hacking your
attachments to bits because that email system hasn't been configured
properly - something over which neither you nor they have any control.

In order to [help] avoid the problem make sure you have the check in place
to Append File Extensions in the Save As dialog and always zip the files
before attaching. Also, based on your prior successes it isn't likely to be
wrong, but check your email software's settings for encoding attachments -
it should be MIME/Base64 or Windows Friendly or something similar.

You should also be conscientious about what fonts you use. Not all on either
platform translate well to the other side.

Finally, suggest to your WinTel pals - gently but firmly - that they stop
double-clicking (opening) *attachments*, but instead Save the file to their
HD then open the actual *file* that's created there. [Zipping helps force
them to do exactly that :-)]

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 8/27/08 6:07 PM, in article C4DB3A40.683A4%mickey.stevens@mvps.org,
"Mickey Stevens" <mickey.stevens@mvps.org> wrote:

> This is because Word 2008 uses the new docx "Open XML" file format, which is
> not recognized by some earlier versions of Office.  To avoid this issue, be
> sure to save the file in "Word 97-2004 document (.doc)" format in the "Save
> as" dialog.
>
> See this page for more information:
> http://snipurl.com/3keos
>
> On 8/27/08 1:04 PM, in article 59b5802c.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
> "mb1970@officeformac.com" <mb1970@officeformac.com> wrote:
>
>> Version: 2008
>> Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
>> Processor: Power PC
>>
>> When I e-mail documents I create with Word 2008 for MAC to my colleagues who
>> are using windows versions of Word (Word 2003 for example) they claim the
>> cannot open them or they cannot read them. This never happened until I moved
>> from the 2004 version to the 2008 version of Microsoft Office for MAC. Any
>> ideas?

Editing a saved document
When I delete a phrase, it turns red with a line through it. You have inadvertently enabled Track Changes. Turn it off by pressing Ctrl+Shift+E (acts as a toggle) and accept the deletion (to accept the change, select the text, right-click and choose Accept from the context menu). -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "Perk" <Perk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A7B85376-DFFB-42F5-AADD-C22FEA54D56E@microsoft.com... > When I delete a phrase, it turns red with a line through it. ...

Need help with printing Excel document
I want to print it out exactly as it looks on the screen. With all the cells and rows visable. Highlight all the cells you wish to see printed out. Then do File > PrintArea > SetPrintArea...........then do File > PrintPreview.......what you see is what will print out, assuming you have the correct print drivers and margins set etc......... If it still don't work, post back with more details. Vaya con Dios, Chuck, CABGx3 "jody mullis via OfficeKB.com" <forum@OfficeKB.com> wrote in message news:507040B8C48C0@OfficeKB.com... > I want to print it out exactly a...

Shared folders on a shared exchange 2003
I have a shared exchange 2003 where deferent company�s have there mails. But how do I make a shared public folder for each company? The public folders may not be visible for other then the people in the actual company. /C COZ <kofo@spamspamspam.org> wrote: >I have a shared exchange 2003 where deferent company�s have there mails. >But how do I make a shared public folder for each company? >The public folders may not be visible for other then the people in the >actual company. Make sure the "client permissions" you assign to the folder doesn't include the &...

Accessing Document class from CPropertySheet
How do I access the document from a Property Sheet/Property Page or Dialog? William, > How do I access the document from a Property Sheet/Property Page or Dialog? Pass document's pointer in your property sheet class's constructor. -- Regards, Kobi Ben Tzvi "William Gower" <w_gower@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ufVxpphgDHA.1932@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl... > How do I access the document from a Property Sheet/Property Page or Dialog? > > ...

multiple (read-only) copies of one document?
we're on a small office network, with multiple people using publisher on their machines (some, winXP, some, win2000, ALL on publisher 2002) sometimes, two people need to access the same document at the same time. in word, or powerpoint, you can have a Read-Only copy of the same document open across a network. publisher doesnt seem to allow this. can anyone suggest a fix for this? After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from matt <matt@genevaglobal.com>... > sometimes, two people need to access the same document at > the same time. in word...

encrypted documents
whenever I create a new document in Word 2007 it automatically creates the document in an encrypted format. When I go into the properties of the document, under General>Advanced>Compress or encrypt attributes> the encrypt contents to secure data is checked marked in the box. If I uncheck it, then the document is no longer encrypted and the document name turns from green to black. How do I turn this off permanetly? Bit locker encryption is turned off. Please help! Exit Word and rename normal.dotm; a new version with factory default settings will be created the next ti...

Document Connection

Sharing Calendar, can you share contacts too?
We have an administrative secretary, who maintains 3 high level administrator's calendars... we use outlook 2003 with exchange 2003, she opens their shared calendars and edits them... Maybe I'm overlooking a really simple answer... but is there a way she could similarly edit their personal address books (they all use palm pilots and want their own individual contact lists).... Any ideas appreciated... Thanks! Sure, just need to delegate rights to those folders and she can "Open Other user's Folder" and choose Contacts. "Ken Montgomery" <KenMontg...

Shared Workbook Query
Hi, I have set up a shared workbook for 20+ users. I am aware that share workbooks in Excel (I have version 2002) have limited functionality an that you cannot for example merge cells. However, if there are merged cells in another worksheet and someon wants to copy across text (which includes merged cells) into the share workbook it removes the merged formatting. At present I have to take the share off the workbook and then cop across the data (which includes merged cells) then reshare the workboo so that the formatting is maintained. Is there any other way around this problem so that peo...

Office 2010 and Basic Authentication on IIS fails to open documents
Hi, I have just upgraded my Office 2007 to 2010 (yes the RTM build) and am running into some serious trouble accessing documents stored on a web server or SharePoint server configured to only allow Basic Authentication. Word opens as expected but does not do anything else (no prompt, no document download, nothing). Accessing any Office document on a server or SharePoint 2007/2010 server that has e.g. Integrated Windows authentication enabled, all is good I get prompted for credentials and the document downloads and opens as expected and as in Office 2007. Where is the settin...

Sharing Outlook between profiles?
I am running a 2k server (no exchange server) and need the laptops that connect into the domain to be able to view and send emails when connected, and when disconnected. The laptops have just been reloaded after using Novell. The advantage of the novell client was that it used the same local profile for connecting into the domain, and when using the workstation only. With the 2k server however, it uses one profile for the domain, and one for the local workstation. This is where Outlook 2000 is falling over... Please help... ...

locking excel documents in a folder
Is it possible to have a folder with numerous excel documents in it; that can be accessed by anyone and modified by anyone, but No-one can remove them from the folder? Regards Hoyt Not an Excel issue......a Windows issue. Start>Help and Support "file and folder permissions" I think you will find that if users have full access to the folder, they have deleting permissions. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 07:37:02 -0700, hoyt <hoyt@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Is it possible to have a folder with numerous excel documents in it; that can >...

Putting my last name in a MLA document thats already shaded.How?
I did a research paper in MLA. Where my last name is suppose to be it says "Student" and the area is shaded. How do I insert my last name? Did you try just clicking in the shaded area and typing? -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Gloria" <Gloria@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A85DCC45-A311-4E53-A784-229280FFA46A@microsoft.com... >I did a research paper in MLA. Where my last name is suppose to be it says > "Student" and the area is shaded. How do ...

Cannot share calendar
Hi I'm trying to setup a user so that she can view someone else's calendar. I have been able to give her access to other peoples calendars, however i can't give her access to one particular user. even though other people can access that particular users calendar. I have given her all the relevent permissions needed to do so in exchange 2000 and at the target machine, but still an error msg of "you do not have sufficiant permisions to view this item" is given. Don't know what else to do....HELP Thank you Don't grant permissions in the Exchange server its...

CRM implementation methodology document
Anybody has a link to the implementation methodology document? -- Jony Lawrence http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=56978 http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=55822 http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/crm/using/deploy/default.mspx -- Marco Amoedo Plain Concepts http://geeks.ms/blogs/marco/ "jonybl@hotmail.com" wrote: > Anybody has a link to the implementation methodology document? > -- > Jony Lawrence ...

Document not saved #6
Every once in a while when I try to save an excel workbook I get the error "Documment not Saved". It don't think it is a a problem with my server connection because if I try to save the file somewhere else like my laptop I cannot save it. I have tried different locations with different names and every time I receive the error message. any help? When excel saves the file, it saves it as a temporary file with a funny name (8 characters--no extension). If the save is successful, xl will delete the original and if that's successful, xl will rename the funny named fil...

calender sharing
I recently upgraded to XP op sys and alongwith it to MS Office 2003. In MS Office 2000, I used to share my private Outlook folders (Calendar, Contacts etc.) with my assistant . With this upgrade to MS Office, I lost the sharing ability. If I right click on any of these components (Calendar, Contacts etc.) the "Sharing" feature is shaded (disabled). How do I share these private folders? If you are talking about NetFolders then this feature was dropped after Outlook 2000 check out http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/share.htm for some options "KAH" <anonymous@discussions.mic...

Resource sharing error
MS Project 2007 question / assistance needed - I created a separate project file for shared resources, filled in names of resources (techs), hourly rates, etc., etc, then saved the file as (named) "resources". When I try to share those resources in my current project, (tools>resource sharing>Share resources) and select the "resources from" the resources file, each resource then shows up in BOTH project’s resource files. Now all resources are showing up in both projects? Delete unwanted rows from one project, and they're deleted in BOTH projects. What...

Sharing the Entourage calendar
Do you know how to share the calendar so my team can view it and my assistant can post items to it? I know there's a save for web function, and if that's the best way to do it, is there a way to automate it so that it saves and uploads to my website? On 7/6/04 11:03 pm, in article fc11fd4e.0406071403.192a07bf@posting.google.com, "Michel" <michel@neray.com> wrote: > Do you know how to share the calendar so my team can view it and my > assistant can post items to it? I know there's a save for web > function, and if that's the best way to do it, is there...

dialog bars and documents,
I have a dialog bar attached to the MainFrame. I created a CMyDlgBar class to house variables associated with controls on the dialog bar. However, the single CDocument instance (SDI app) will need to have access to the variables of the dialog bar. What is the correct object oriented way to handle this communication in the MFC framework. Easiest way seems to just give the dialog bar a pointer to the doc object. Any advice appreciated. You should provide some public methods on the document which can be accessed by other objects. You CDialogBar can then get to the document (GetActiv...

2002-Merge to new document?
I have Pub 2002. I would like to merge to a new document, but the only option that I have is to merge to print. Help! ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?mid=f8060c8e-c429-4d1f-9bf1-50fb35c732c...

Connecting to a shared SSRS data source from BIDS
I'm just starting out using BIDS and creating reports in general. I've been using Report Builder and have no trouble accessing a shared SSRS data source by specifying the Report Server (http://<Server>/ReportServer) in the Options...Settings, from there I can view and use any predefined data source in a report. How do I specify in BIDS that I wish to use a preconfigured shared data source from SSRS, I can't see any obvious option. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks David David, Hopefully when you connect your report to a shared datasource in design t...

shared workbook
I have a shared workbook. Once in a while, I cannot uncheck the allow changes by more than one user at the same time. This option in the shared workbook under the tools menu is grayed out. Other times this option is available. Can someone please tell me why this option becomes unavailable. ...

RemoteApp is the solution to share .pst files
RemoteApp in Server 2008 is the solution to share .pst files over in local network or the internet! At last, no need for Exchange. ss. Alas, still not supported for .psts on a network share. Use at your own = risk. --=20 Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. All unsolicited mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. =20 "Synapse Syndrome" <synapse@NOSPAMsyndrome.me.uk> wrote in message = news:%23sexHtIuIHA.4772@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... RemoteApp in Server 2008 is the solution to share .pst fi...

Document won't open on first page
When I open my saved document it opens on the second page and not the first/title page. This may have to do with the fact that the first pg. does not have its pg. # visible or that it's header differs from the rest of the document. How can I change this so that it opens to the first page? Thank you! A Word document always opens at the top of the file unless there is an AutoOpen macro forcing it to a different location. -- Suzanne S. Barnhill Microsoft MVP (Word) Words into Type Fairhope, Alabama USA http://word.mvps.org "Jerz" <Jerz@discussions.microsoft....