Searching for Newsgroups

I subscribe to a Usenet service for accessing various news groups.

After I download all the newsgroups from that server I can not find a way to
search for the newsgroups I have interest in.

When I put something like "RV" in the search box on the top right corner, it
searches all of my Emails rather than just the list of groups that had "RV"
in the title.

Help tells me that there is a " Display newsgroups containing" box but for
the life of me I can't find it.

Any thoughts out there?
I am running Entourage 12.2.3

Dunc

0
Dunc

Click the bar in the Folder List that contains the name of the *News Server*
itself, not one of the newsgroup account names. The 'Display newsgroups
containing box...' will be at the right end of the title bar of the reading
pane where the list of accounts on that server appears. IOW, it's where the
Filter box would be if you were looking at a list of email messages or if
you select a newsgroup account rather than a server.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 3/6/10 8:27 PM, in article C7B85D12.2054C%DuncFowler@Gmail.Com, "Dunc
Fowler" <DuncFowler@Gmail.Com> wrote:

> I subscribe to a Usenet service for accessing various news groups.
>
> After I download all the newsgroups from that server I can not find a way to
> search for the newsgroups I have interest in.
>
> When I put something like "RV" in the search box on the top right corner, it
> searches all of my Emails rather than just the list of groups that had "RV"
> in the title.
>
> Help tells me that there is a " Display newsgroups containing" box but for
> the life of me I can't find it.
>
> Any thoughts out there?
> I am running Entourage 12.2.3
>
> Dunc

0
CyberTaz
3/7/2010 4:31:15 AM
Nope, not there.
Perhaps I did something that hid it.
Is there a way to re-set the display to a default?

On 3/6/10 10:31 PM, in article C7B89643.58A58%onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net,
"CyberTaz" <onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net> wrote:

> Click the bar in the Folder List that contains the name of the *News Server*
> itself, not one of the newsgroup account names. The 'Display newsgroups
> containing box...' will be at the right end of the title bar of the reading
> pane where the list of accounts on that server appears. IOW, it's where the
> Filter box would be if you were looking at a list of email messages or if
> you select a newsgroup account rather than a server.
>
> HTH |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac
>

> On 3/6/10 8:27 PM, in article C7B85D12.2054C%DuncFowler@Gmail.Com, "Dunc
> Fowler" <DuncFowler@Gmail.Com> wrote:
>
>> I subscribe to a Usenet service for accessing various news groups.
>>
>> After I download all the newsgroups from that server I can not find a way to
>> search for the newsgroups I have interest in.
>>
>> When I put something like "RV" in the search box on the top right corner, it
>> searches all of my Emails rather than just the list of groups that had "RV"
>> in the title.
>>
>> Help tells me that there is a " Display newsgroups containing" box but for
>> the life of me I can't find it.
>>
>> Any thoughts out there?
>> I am running Entourage 12.2.3
>>
>> Dunc

0
Dunc
3/7/2010 5:03:59 PM
The most likely culprit is in the View menu... Select 'Show Quick Filter' to
turn it back on. You may have turned it off somewhere along the line � AFAIK
its default setting is to be shown.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 3/7/10 12:03 PM, in article C7B9389F.2059B%DuncFowler@Gmail.Com, "Dunc
Fowler" <DuncFowler@Gmail.Com> wrote:

> Nope, not there.
> Perhaps I did something that hid it.
> Is there a way to re-set the display to a default?
>

> On 3/6/10 10:31 PM, in article C7B89643.58A58%onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net,
> "CyberTaz" <onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net> wrote:
>
>> Click the bar in the Folder List that contains the name of the *News Server*
>> itself, not one of the newsgroup account names. The 'Display newsgroups
>> containing box...' will be at the right end of the title bar of the reading
>> pane where the list of accounts on that server appears. IOW, it's where the
>> Filter box would be if you were looking at a list of email messages or if
>> you select a newsgroup account rather than a server.
>>
>> HTH |:>)
>> Bob Jones
>> [MVP] Office:Mac
>>

>> On 3/6/10 8:27 PM, in article C7B85D12.2054C%DuncFowler@Gmail.Com, "Dunc
>> Fowler" <DuncFowler@Gmail.Com> wrote:
>>
>>> I subscribe to a Usenet service for accessing various news groups.
>>>
>>> After I download all the newsgroups from that server I can not find a way to
>>> search for the newsgroups I have interest in.
>>>
>>> When I put something like "RV" in the search box on the top right corner, it
>>> searches all of my Emails rather than just the list of groups that had "RV"
>>> in the title.
>>>
>>> Help tells me that there is a " Display newsgroups containing" box but for
>>> the life of me I can't find it.
>>>
>>> Any thoughts out there?
>>> I am running Entourage 12.2.3
>>>
>>> Dunc

0
CyberTaz
3/7/2010 5:27:15 PM
Thanks!
That was it :-D

On 3/7/10 11:27 AM, in article C7B94C23.58AAB%onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net,
"CyberTaz" <onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net> wrote:

> The most likely culprit is in the View menu... Select 'Show Quick Filter' to
> turn it back on. You may have turned it off somewhere along the line � AFAIK
> its default setting is to be shown.
>
> HTH |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac
>

> On 3/7/10 12:03 PM, in article C7B9389F.2059B%DuncFowler@Gmail.Com, "Dunc
> Fowler" <DuncFowler@Gmail.Com> wrote:
>
>> Nope, not there.
>> Perhaps I did something that hid it.
>> Is there a way to re-set the display to a default?
>>

>> On 3/6/10 10:31 PM, in article C7B89643.58A58%onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net,
>> "CyberTaz" <onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Click the bar in the Folder List that contains the name of the *News Server*
>>> itself, not one of the newsgroup account names. The 'Display newsgroups
>>> containing box...' will be at the right end of the title bar of the reading
>>> pane where the list of accounts on that server appears. IOW, it's where the
>>> Filter box would be if you were looking at a list of email messages or if
>>> you select a newsgroup account rather than a server.
>>>
>>> HTH |:>)
>>> Bob Jones
>>> [MVP] Office:Mac

0
Dunc

Value Search From a List in a Column
I want to use a formula to select from a list of products in a column that is related to 2 variables eg if c1 = 2 and c4 = 400 then sum equals EV-R2-400. The list of products relates to changes in Rx and -x eg EV-R2-400 (cell S1) EV-R8-800 (cell S2) EV-R16-1000 (cell S3) EV-R32-1600 (cell S4) I can use this sum to select just one option, but cannot enlarge it =IF(AND(c1>0,c1<5,c4=400),S1,0) Any ideas, thanks. Sorry Duncan, but I'm having trouble interpreting what you're after. If you are trying to return the Product Number that relates to a certain pair of entries in C1 &a...

Office 2007 newsgroup?
Is there a newsgroup dedicated to the new version of Microsoft Office (Office 2007)? "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message news:%23d$m8eLFHHA.3212@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Is there a newsgroup dedicated to the new version of Microsoft Office > (Office 2007)? No. The Office groups are version-neutral. -- Echo [MS PPT MVP] http://www.echosvoice.com What's new in PPT 2007? http://www.echosvoice.com/2007.htm Fixing PowerPoint Annoyances http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/powerpointannoy/ Sometimes it would be nice if they were separate but... -- JoAnn ...

How can I send picture of my question to this newsgroup
How can I send picture of my question to this newsgroup? -- Rasoul Khoshravan Azar Civil Engineer Osaka, Japan Can you post a link to it? John... Visio MVP Need stencils or ideas? http://www.mvps.org/visio/3rdparty.htm Need VBA examples? http://www.mvps.org/visio/VBA.htm Common Visio Questions http://www.mvps.org/visio/common_questions.htm Visio Wishlist http://www.mvps.org/visio/wish_list.htm "Khoshravan" <khoshravan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:474609DF-F0B4-43D8-A22F-C98D3E52601F@microsoft.com... > How can I send picture of my question...

WSS 3.0 Search only works for administrator
Hello, I just moved WSS 3.0 contents to new SQL 2008 server. I did this by backing up the contents, wiping out the WSS on the server, re- installing it, setting up the new install on the new SQL server and restoring the content. Now search is working only for administrator. All other users that do a search doesn't return any results but doesn't get error either. It just says "No results matching your search were found." I am not sure what other information to provide for this problem. Please let me know if you need more information on this. Thanks, Did ...

How to find complete path for emails in search window? (2007)
Is there any way to find out the complete "path" where an email is stored? I have a fairly complicated configuration of email folders. I have 8-10 top-level folders, each of which may have several sub-levels, etc. In some cases, the nesting goes 5-6 levels deep. This has been great for organizing the emails, but it has become a problem when searching for emails. The search window shows the name of the folder each email is in, but it does not show the full path, so I don't know where that folder is in the hierarchy. I really don't want to go opening up every level. The MS...

Newsgroup Server Software
This might be a long shot, but I'm looking for a C# or VB.Net newsgroup server complete with source code which I can use and customise as the basis for a project I'm contemplating. This would save me considerable time over starting from scratch. TIA. -- Brian Cryer http://www.cryer.co.uk/brian Brian Cryer wrote: > This might be a long shot, but I'm looking for a C# or VB.Net newsgroup > server complete with source code which I can use and customise as the > basis for a project I'm contemplating. This would save me considerable > time over sta...

Search does not work for one workbook
I have workbook, but search (spotlight) often does not work for it. Drives me crazy. What can this be. I see peoples names in there. Kevs OS 10.6.2 INTEL imac Office 2004 Hi Kevs: It could be the file format the workbook is saved in. What extension does the file-name have? The extension tells the system what kind of data a file contains, which controls which importer Spotlight uses to read the file: if there is no extension you could get strange results. Cheers On 6/01/10 2:47 AM, in article C7689F21.5718F%forums55@verizon.net, "forums55@verizon.net"...

search excel for overpopulated cells
i suspect my excel sheet is running slow due to one or more cells being overpopulated. how do i search for cells with too many characters? You can't search by cell length, but you can use conditional formatting to highlight long cells. Select the cells you suspect of being too long and in Conditional Formatting, choose "use a formula", and enter something like: =len(a1)>100 Change the format to something bright, and cells with more than 100 characters will be highlighted. If your speed is suffering due to size, then this will probably make matters worse, ...

Setting a default view for advanced search for contacts
Hi, when using advanced search in your contacts for Outlook 2002, can you set the default view for the results(ie just want to display say the email address, contact name and phone number all the time)? If so where do you need to set it? thanks Dave No, you can't. -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tip of the month: -Tips for cleaning up your mailbox Subscribe to the newsletter to receive news and tips & tricks in your mailbox! www.sparnaaij.net (I changed my reply address; r...

Are there WIndows "7" related/specialized newsgroups?
I have some questions about Windows 7. Unfortuantely I found no specialized Usenet newsgroups. I expected soemthing like microsoft.public.windows7.help_and_support But I did not found them. Are they already setup? Karl http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/category/w7itpro Try above site for starters................ "Karl Mondale" wrote: > I have some questions about Windows 7. > Unfortuantely I found no specialized Usenet newsgroups. > I expected soemthing like > > microsoft.public.windows7.help_and_support > > But I ...

SEARCH AND DELETE MACRO
I am looking for a macro to look up the active cell in one workbook in a spread sheet, then go to another workbook with in the same spread sheet and look for the contents of the active cell within a named range. I don't know if I could then have the maco delete the corresponding line which containted the match to the find funciton of the active cell. Maybe something like: Option Explicit Sub testme() Dim myLookFor As Range Dim myLookInRng As Range Dim FoundCell As Range Set myLookFor = ActiveCell 'on the activesheet Set myLookInRng = Worksheets("sheet...

combo box in continuous filter search form
Hi, I am working with a continuous search form that uses a filter. The form it is based off of provides a SQL example with a combo box, but only gives code allowing for the combo box to have three values. My combo box has over two hundred. How do I set up the code to filter with whatever I select in my combo box but still make sure to return results even if no scholarship name is selected? Here is the code I have now: If Me.cboProgram = -1 Then strWhere = strWhere & "([Program] = True) AND " ElseIf Me.Program = 0 Then strWhere = strWhere & "([Pr...

Is Excel or Word better for holding and searching data
In Microsoft Office 2003 to create a small d ata base for use by staff accustomed to Word and Excel, which is the more useful for (1) easy retrieval of information, and (2) possibly putting onto a web page? I'd definitely use Excel for this. HTH. Best wishes Harald "Ione" <Ione@discussions.microsoft.com> skrev i melding news:A7500E03-AF10-4D9F-9E56-887DF6E3DE51@microsoft.com... > In Microsoft Office 2003 to create a small d ata base for use by staff > accustomed to Word and Excel, which is the more useful for > (1) easy retrieval of information, and ...

how can i search for sheet with any part of sheet name
hi every on i need code for userform of textbox and listbox to search for any sheet in workbook with any part of that sheet name on i enter on textbox to populate on listbox all sheets named contain that enterd text on textbox . any help appreciated . thanks This code takes a string and searches the sheet name for it. Set strData to your textbox value and instead of msgbox, do a listbox.add Dim strData As String strData = "Dat" For i = 1 To ThisWorkbook.Sheets.Count For j = 1 To Len(ThisWorkbook.Sheets(i).Name) - Len(strData) + 1 If UCase(Mid(ThisWorkbook.Sheets(i).N...

Two Condition
I am trying to pull value when two conditions are met. want to count column "B" when it = "ETARC" and when column "J" is = "0" or a negative number. I have tried =COUNTIF(B11:B26,"=ETARC")+COUNTIF(J8:J24,""<>0) the formula is only pulling the column "B" infor and the same number for column "J". My answer should be 6 for column "B" and 2 for column "J", instead I am getting the same 6 for the entire data reading only column "B" xl2007 has a new =countifs() functi...

assistant has telescope even after executed search
Thanks in advance. I have a workbook that starts word, opens a file, searches for a text string, gets a number, close word, and goes back to excel. The problem I have is that even after searching for the text string, the assistant (in my case the paperclip) still has the telescope in hand. I copied the search part from a macro recording I did. This is a macro, and the user doesn't have much time to notice or worry about it, but I figure I am missing some code. If you could look at my code and tell me if I did miss something, I would appreciate it! Dim wordapp As New Word.Applica...

Stopping search from the Address bar in IE8
Is there some way that I can stop my computer from searching from the address bar in IE8? I am using Windows XP Pro SP3 and IE8. I have 2 home pages set up (in case that matters). Here is what happens: I type a website address in the address bar and, if I mistype the address, sometimes I get the message: Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage What you can try: Diagnose Connection Problems More information That would be okay with me because then I can look and see that I mistyped the address and I just fix the typo to get to the...

Desktop Search in Outlook 2007 beta 2
I am running the 2007 beta 2 for Office on Windows XP. When I open Outlook I get a message saying I need to click an area to enable desktop search. I do and it gets halfway through the installation. At that point I get a message that says "Access Denied with an "ok" button. I click OK, then it proceeds to uninstall what was installed. Am I not supposed to have this search function or is there a work around? Note: I have Google desktop search installed-could that be a conflict? If so-how do I remove it when it doesn't show up in Add/Remove Programs? LV I am experiencing ...

Search Form
I am in the process of developing new front end program for SQL database to replace MS Access front end. I have been unable to convert the following lines of VBA to C# to find a record in the workorder dataset from a seperate form based on query presented in datagridview. I open the workorder form, then click on search form, then double click the line in datagridview to focus back on workorder to the selected record by workorderID. If IsNull(Forms![Search SO Open]![List0]) Then MsgBox ("You did not select a record to search for") Else DoCmd.SelectObject acF...

A search for $ in a formula use to work now it does not work
Using Find $256 on a column or columns in Excel, that contains formulas used to work but now I am getting a message that says ...detected that your search contains formatting symbols. Any Ideas as to why it is not working now. Find/Replace won't find $256 if its 256 formatted to look like dollars. Use 256 instead. -- Gary''s Student "JuneJuly" wrote: > Using Find $256 on a column or columns in Excel, that contains formulas used > to work but now I am getting a message that says ...detected that your search > contains formatting symbols. Any Ideas as ...

Search for Account not having an opportunity
is there an option to search for Potential customer accounts to which nobody has ever attached an opportunity? that means I want to find Prospects that are not contacted yet. Is it possible to search for accounts NOT HAVING an opportunity in Advanced Find? look here http://dmcrm.blogspot.com/2008/02/creating-saved-views-that-advanced-find.html mit freundlichen Gr��en Michael Sulz ieQ-network AG eMail: michael.sulz@ieq-network.de Unfortunately this sort of query is not possible with Advanced Find, despite what is suggested in the link in the previous post. -- David Jennaway - Micros...

Outlook
Good afternoon! I have a strange question. Running Outlook 2003 SP2 (on Windows XP Pro SP2) that connects to an Exchange Server 2003 SP2 via RPC over HTTPS in Cached Mode. When searching any folder in my Inbox (I have a lot of sub-folders) using any of the three methods the search begins on 03/16/2007. I have a couple of colleagues in another office and for one it begins - like mine - on 03/16/2007 while for another it starts on 09/16/2006. Does anyone have any ideas of why this is? Does it possibly have anything to do with the Junk E-Mail Filter available via Office Updates? Than...

Help with Newsgroup Reader in Outlook 2003
I had the newsgroup reader working but accidently deleted the button. I'm now unable to recreate the button again because the "News" command no longer appears in the command list under the "GO" category when trying to customize using add/remove buttons as outlined in the Outlook Help. I have since tried to fix it by first doing a 'detect & repair'. That didn't work so I removed all MS Office 2003 products and then reinstalled them all again including Outlook but that also didn't restore the "NEWS" command either. Nothing in the...

Help Menu
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel The Word Help menu doesn't give me any option or area to search from....all it does is show a Word Help Home title at the top with 2 categories below: "Popular topics" (with 6 bullet links) And then another heading below with "Ask someone" ; but there's nowhere that I can actually type in a querie to search for anything.....basically I have no HELP options available to me..... can anyone help please. Click the unidentified "jellybean" at the right end of the Word Help window's T...

Searching in Excel spreadsheet
Is there a way to change the shading of the found cell? When I do search, I cannot see the cell found as it is not shaded or distinguished in any way from the other cells. I have looked around but cannot find an option to change it so that I can actually see the result. Before you start your search click on the cell to the left of A and above 1 in the top left hand corner of the Worksheet. This should highlight the whole Worksheet. Now, when you do your search, your results will be much more clearly identified. If my comments have helped please hit Yes. Thanks. ...