Running simple business using office

Hi,
I'm a student and have begun selling some books on amazon.
I wanted to develop my business process skills so see it as running a
small business.
I want to use office to store my 'inventory,' transactions, generate
simple invoices and perform some simple analysis e.g. how much i made
in a month. (I have student edition with excel and word)
I want to keep one data source from which I can perform these tasks.
I've got a lot of programming experience but its more from a business
process perspective i'm interested. e.g. the best way to store and
manipulate the data.
I would really appreciate if anyone's got any tips/advice/websites.

Thanks for your time

Bobby

Actually, you need a database application.  For instance, I know some people
use BookMinder for online book sales, which is built on FileMaker Pro,
probably the most common Mac database app. 4D is another big database
program, and I just saw a review of Panorama.

MacOffice doesn't include any database programs.  Assuming you have
AppleWorks, it includes a database module that should work for a small
business.  I don't have much experience with it, and imagine it is rather
basic, but it looks like it will meet your needs.

Admittedly, you could probably finagle your needs out of Word and Excel
together, but it would not be as efficient.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

daiyaNOSPAM (1173)

Need only one DLL instance to run...

Do you use Pivot Table
I found Pivot Table is very handy but would you have users see Pivot Table instead of forms? Should I look for codes that will do the drag and drop? Experts, what are your suggestions? Thanks. -- Message posted via http://www.accessmonster.com hi, accessuser via AccessMonster.com wrote: > I found Pivot Table is very handy but would you have users see Pivot Table > instead of forms? Should I look for codes that will do the drag and drop? > Experts, what are your suggestions? Users which understand a pivot table, are normally fit in Execl. So exporting the raw data to Excel w...

Using Defined Names in Charts
I am using Office 2002. I am trying to create a chart that has only one Series called Data. The values for DATA is a name called SCROLL_DATA. The name has been defined using the Insert-Name-Define action. The workbook is called Quality Escapes.xls I have entered the following in the values box as I have seen many instruction as follows =Quality Escapes.xls!SCROLL_DATA What am I doing wrong. -- bobburg ------------------------------------------------------------------------ bobburg's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=22006 View this thread: http:/...

How do I use the "More Details" in a newsletter? #2
In Publisher 2003, you can create emails directly. The templates have a place for a short intro to an article with a place to click to get the rest of the article. How do I use that feature? The "More Details" is no doubt an area where you add a hyperlink to a place where folks can get more details. Send e-mail http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/CH062524821033.aspx -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "Kevin" <Kevin@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:8198CBA9-E37C-48F3...

USE of system.xml.xpath
Hi Friends, When we need the xpath namespace as we can traverse the xml document using xmldocument object like using selectSingleNode or selectNodes methods. In system.xml.xpath namespace we have to use XPathNavigator , XPathExpression , XPathNodeIterator class to get the same result what we get it thru selectNodes ....and that too iterator can be traversed in forward direction only. Please tell me the usage of system.xml.xpath other than performance. Enjoying XML..... Alpha --- Posted using Wimdows.net NntpNews Component - Posted from .NET's Largest Community...

run time error 10-22-03

How can I get my ABC spellchecker to use UK English
I am preparing a large commercial brochure in the UK and the spellchecker refuses to change from English US, which as we know is totally different to English UK.. any ideas please. I have tried resetting it but I still get told to change my 's' to 'z'!! Thanks This based on the Help from Publisher 2000. In the Help Answer Wizard look for "spell checker". The "Tip" section of the answer is, The English (U.S.) version of Microsoft Publisher 2000 comes with proofing tools for English. To check spelling in other languages, use the Microsoft Office 2000...

Automatically run macro

mail merge wiht Office xp
I liked the old mail merge in office 2000. Can i configure office Xp mail merge to work like office 2000? ...

Excel Continuous Running Total

What tables and database does the Knowledge Base use?
Hi, we are wanting to make Knowledge Basee articles available online for customers. From what I understand we would have to setup something manually to display SQL information on the website. So what I would need to know is what fields and databases will we be using if we do something like this? ------=_NextPart_0001_DB294826 Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit "Admin Matt" <Admin.Matthew@gmail.com> wrote: > Hi, we are wanting to make Knowledge Basee articles available online > for customers. From what I understand we would have to setup something ...

A Very Simple BHO
Hello, I am trying to write a very simple BHO and this is my first time doing this. What I have so far is created an empty ATL DLL in VC++ 6. I now need to bind it to IE so that IE would be able to recognize my BHO. Does anybody have any advice? Thank you, Victor. See if this will help you out. http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q179230 AliR. "victorsk" <victorsk@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A9EFA007-D494-4D23-83B8-51A75782C3ED@microsoft.com... > Hello, > > I am trying to write a very simple BHO and this is my first ...

Money 2002 will not run

Re: Workflow just wont run automatically, i have to run them manually
Yes, but i realized what i was doing wrong. I assumed [bad idea] that if i create a case and hit Save & Close the first time, taht the rule will run. In order for the rule to run automatically, it has to be Save, once it saves it, then Save & Close. Thanks for your reply. "Hi, Did you check the workflow monitor to see if the rules get triggered correctly and complete sucessfully ? Have a nice day, St=E9phane Dorrekens " --------------= Posted using GrabIt =---------------- ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =--------- -= Get GrabIt for free from http://...

Search Column & Row using CMap, Lookup
hi all , iam reading a .dat file with the following data pattern . 3001, 200 ,4005 ,5006 000 , 47.12 ,785 ,699 the first column is the key value , for ex - 3001 is the key . if i search for the key value( 3001) , and if it is found , i need to extract the data value at 3rd Column of the row ( 4005). can someone give an example ( using CMap, Lookup ) . This is pretty simple. First, create a structure class Data { public: UINT key; TYPE_OF_YOUR_CHOICE col1; TYPE_OF_YOUR_CHOICE col2; TYPE_OF_YOUR_CHOICE col2; }; Read the line, parse out the values, and store them...

Outlook Still Running
I am running XP Pro with Office 2003 Pro and sometimes when I exit out of Outlook, Outlook.exe and Winword.exe stay as processes still running. Does anyone else have this problem and what can do to make sure this does not happen? Thanks for your help -- Neil Remove ABCD from Email address to reply <neil154ABCD@earthlink.net> wrote: > I am running XP Pro with Office 2003 Pro and sometimes when I exit > out of Outlook, Outlook.exe and Winword.exe stay as processes still > running. Does anyone else have this problem and what can do to make > sure this does not happ...

Very strange problems while running Great Plains on workstations
I notice that a few workstations in an office I support are having problems when they run Great Plains. Excel, Outlook, Word and Dynamics.exe are showing in the Application event log as being Hanging or Faulting. I also see Fault Bucket errors, but when I search online I cannot find any information online. Here is one of the Fault Bucket errors: 3:15:35 pm 28-Sep-06 Application Hang None 1001 N/A Fault bucket 296734104. Also, these workstations are experiencing problems printing PDF files. Has anyone out there seen this behavior and if so, how can these problems be fixed? Thank you, ...

"File OLMAPI32.dll is incompatible with micrsoft office outlook"
I keep getting the following error when trying to run Office Outlook after installation. "File OLMAPI32.dll is incompatible with Microsoft Office Outlook. Install Outlook again." I have genuine software and have tried many times to reinstall. Can anyone please explain how I can make it work? Have you uninstalled any Trial versions? Which version of Outlook are you trying to install on what o/s? "cfc1905" <cfc1905@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4E2E3DA2-A9CE-4A54-BFB8-11EC63272135@microsoft.com... > I keep getting the following er...

Publisher 2000 will not run
I had problems with Publisher 98 not running which we=20 never did solve so I installed office 2000 to see if=20 Publisher 2000 would function. Same problem: The flash=20 screen pops up and then disappears. No program. Microsoft=AE Publisher 2000 Version 6.0 has encountered a=20 problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the=20 inconvenience. Howard, hi again, Have you tried opening Publisher in safe mode? Publisher retains all printer information within its publications. If you can open Publisher in safe mode, either regress or update your printer and video drivers. -- Mary Sauer MS MV...

Macro automatic run at open
Is there a simple way to have a macro automatically started when a workbook is open? Thanks Francesco Francesco, use the workbook open event, like this, Private Sub Workbook_Open() MsgBox "It Works!" End Sub To put in this macro, from your workbook right-click the workbook's icon and pick View Code. This icon is at the top-left of the spreadsheet this will open the VBA editor to the thisworkbook module, then, paste the code in the window that opens on the right hand side, press Alt and Q to close this window and go back to your workbook, now this will run every time you ...

Used to be able to attach range of labels to xy coordinates
used to be able to attach a range of text label w/ 1 to 1 correspondence to xy points - individual custom label for each point - I and others have "drawn" maps of entire states with all towns labled this way - poor man's GIS - maybe that was just good ole days of Lotus 123 v2.1 - any way as with all "improvements" from Microsoft comes increase complexity and loss of flexibility/capability to get simple things done - Excel 2007 sucks ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for...

Sure there's a simple answer to this but I can't get my head aroun
I would like to have an "announcements" memo field in my database. This would show a message for example such as "Please note that all staff can go home 2 hours early today" (yeah, right). I want managers to be able to edit this text in a simple seperate form. It needs to display the SAME message on all of my records. I have set up a new table called Management but I can't seem to link it to my existing form. Help please! A form can have only one record source. One way would be to have a subform on every form that would show the record, but that is pretty cl...