Running "All" Rules Doesn't work, but indviducal rules do

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

I have several Exchange rules set up. Most aren't enabled all the time. I just run them when I want to clean out my Inbox. I run them by selecting all messages and going to Messages -> Apply Rule. If I choose one rule at a time it works great. However, If I choose "All Rules" none of them work. Its been this way since I stared using the product several months ago and its getting unbearable.
0
mansopluc (2)

"mansopluc@officeformac.com" wrote:

> I have several Exchange rules set up. Most aren't enabled all the time. I just
> run them when I want to clean out my Inbox. I run them by selecting all
> messages and going to Messages -> Apply Rule. If I choose one rule at a time
> it works great. However, If I choose "All Rules" none of them work. Its been
> this way since I stared using the product several months ago and its getting
> unbearable.

All Rules include the Mailing List Manager and the Junk Mail Filter (see
basics below). Instead of everything going to your Inbox, create rules that
move the messages, or use custom views to manage your Inbox mail.

1) set to view unread only and leave them all in the inbox.
  a) set a category and use a custom view to view your read messages. See
below**

2) create rules to move to folders other than the Inbox.

Basics:
There are 3 different kind of rules in Entourage:

Mailing List Manager (MLM)
Junk Mail Filter
Rules (custom rules you create)

They run in the order listed above. The custom rules also run in the order
they are listed. (top runs first)

Exchange Rules act on a message ONLY when it first arrives in the Exchange
Inbox.

Each type of account has it's own rules. Click on the correct tab to check
your rules. (Mail (POP), Mail (IMAP) Mal (Windows Live Hotmail) Mail
(Exchange), News, Outgoing)

See "Using Rules with Entourage" for help and examples:

<http://entourage.mvps.org/rules/index.html>

**

Prioritize your E-mails with a star rating (The Entourage Help Blog)
<http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2008/08/are_you_experiencing_email_overload.
html>

Assign a category with a keyboard shortcut (The Entourage Help Blog)
<http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2008/08/assign_a_category_with_a_keyboard_sh
ort.html>

Custom Views <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/custom_views/index.html>

--
Diane

0
diane7495 (1195)
9/9/2008 11:24:43 PM
I have only use rules in the past. I like for all my mail to come into my Inbox because it prompts me to review them. If I just move them directly to folders via enabled rules I'm much less likely to look at them. However, if I need to get caught up or clean out my Inbox I just run my rules manually as I described in my first message (Message->Apply Rule). My rules either move the messages from my Inbox to another folder or delete them (move to Deleted Items). I've been doing this for several years in Outlook and now Entourage. It works great if I do it one rule at a time in Entourage. In Outlook I can run all rules at once by selecting all of them.

Your comment: "Exchange Rules act on a message ONLY when it first arrives in the Exchange Inbox." is not accurate. As I said above, I run rules on my Inbox on at a time that has messages that may be weeks old. I think you are talking about if you have rules enabled they work realtime as messages are received. However, you can always select one or more messages and run rules on them. As I said in my first email, this works fine if I run individual rules, but not if I choose �All Rules�. That is the issue. Are you saying that doesn�t work by design? Does the fact that this works if I do it one rule at a time surprise you??

I didn�t know that ALL Rules included Mailing List Manager and Junk Mail filters, but it shouldn�t matter. If I choose all rules it should run ALL RULES. As a test, I created Mailing List rules that duplicate my regular exchange rules. When I select all messages and run Message->Apply Rule-> All Rules nothing works at all. That is a bug as I see it. What do you think?
0
mansopluc (2)
9/11/2008 1:36:03 AM
When you run All Rules, one of the rules is acting on the message before the
individual rule that works when run individually has a chance to move the
message. You can try moving the rule higher in the list.

--
Diane

"mansopluc@officeformac.com" wrote:

> I have only use rules in the past. I like for all my mail to come into my
> Inbox because it prompts me to review them. If I just move them directly to
> folders via enabled rules I'm much less likely to look at them. However, if I
> need to get caught up or clean out my Inbox I just run my rules manually as I
> described in my first message (Message->Apply Rule). My rules either move the
> messages from my Inbox to another folder or delete them (move to Deleted
> Items). I've been doing this for several years in Outlook and now Entourage.
> It works great if I do it one rule at a time in Entourage. In Outlook I can
> run all rules at once by selecting all of them.
>
> Your comment: "Exchange Rules act on a message ONLY when it first arrives in
> the Exchange Inbox." is not accurate. As I said above, I run rules on my Inbox
> on at a time that has messages that may be weeks old. I think you are talking
> about if you have rules enabled they work realtime as messages are received.
> However, you can always select one or more messages and run rules on them. As
> I said in my first email, this works fine if I run individual rules, but not
> if I choose �All Rules�. That is the issue. Are you saying that doesn�t work
> by design? Does the fact that this works if I do it one rule at a time
> surprise you??
>
> I didn�t know that ALL Rules included Mailing List Manager and Junk Mail
> filters, but it shouldn�t matter. If I choose all rules it should run ALL
> RULES. As a test, I created Mailing List rules that duplicate my regular
> exchange rules. When I select all messages and run Message->Apply Rule-> All
> Rules nothing works at all. That is a bug as I see it. What do you think?

0
diane7495 (1195)

Automatically run macro

Re: Workflow just wont run automatically, i have to run them manually
Yes, but i realized what i was doing wrong. I assumed [bad idea] that if i create a case and hit Save & Close the first time, taht the rule will run. In order for the rule to run automatically, it has to be Save, once it saves it, then Save & Close. Thanks for your reply. "Hi, Did you check the workflow monitor to see if the rules get triggered correctly and complete sucessfully ? Have a nice day, St=E9phane Dorrekens " --------------= Posted using GrabIt =---------------- ------= Binary Usenet downloading made easy =--------- -= Get GrabIt for free from http://...

Looking forward to working with you all!
I am excited to be working with all of you! -- wgm007 And you would be??? But welcome in any case. Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Tue, 26 Feb 2008 21:34:04 +0000, wgm007 <wgm007.20a75bf@excelbanter.com> wrote: > >I am excited to be working with all of you! > And you would be??? Double - O - Seven ... James Bond (re OP's moniker) -- Max Singapore http://savefile.com/projects/236895 xdemechanik --- Good point "M" Gord On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 10:54:46 +0800, "Max" <demechanik@yahoo.com> wrote: >> And you would be??? >Double -...

Rules inexplicably become deactivated, but they are actually ok
I have a few simple rules that move mail from different sources to different folders, upon arrival in the inbox. A little while ago, the following behavior started. Often, one or more of the rules doesn't work. I get a message "Can't move item to folder XXX" where XXX varies among the folders i have. When i check the rule, it is unchecked in the dialog that lists the rules. If i then check it, and use "run rules now", the rule works fine and moves the items to the folder it just complained about. But, invariably with in a few days, the same cycle repeats itsel...

Postcallout not working on seperate SQL server?
Hi I have developed a post call out using C#. It works 100% perfectly when it deploed on a single server deployment. i.e CRM 1.2, Exchange, MSSQL-2000, Window 2003 SBS, all on one Machine. When I tried to deploy SAME postcall out dll in a separate SQL server which runs on Windows 2003 Standard server and CRM server is separately running on Virtual server(Pointing to above SQL database), Post call out does not fire up! I have properly registred Postcall out on SQL CRM Metabase and com component is registred with no error on seperate sql server machine. I am using following components on C# p...

Install and run Exchange Troubleshooting Assistant v1.1
First step should probably be to install and run the Troubleshooting Asst and see what it says. It will check disk and AD performance and more as well as the things you already checked. Run it during a period when users are complaining so you are sampling at the same time. It's a good place to start. http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=4BDC1D6B-DE34-4F1C-AEBA-FED1256CAF9A&displaylang=en If you haven't already you should run the ExBPA also. Need more coffee this morning. Pls disregard "David Ruth" wrote: > First step should probably be t...

Word keeps running install.
Everytime I run Word it runs the install program for Word first. No other office program does this. How do I stop the install program from running? I have reboot the system many times and that does not clear it. If you have multiple versions of Word installed, see the "Hacking the Registry" section of the article at http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm. If you are only running one version, see if logging in as Administrator allows the installation process to complete properly. -- Stefan Blom Microsoft Word MVP "computerkiller" <com...

Message: Money Not properly installed, recs not working, help!
Just got this message yesterday when I opened MOney 2004 STandard version (never happened before) "money is not properly installed. plese set up again" I uninstalled and reinstalled money but still getting same error messages I tried the options of opening a existing Money file, will not open my existing data file I tried create a new file but it give me error message that it can't save I tried repairing "my money" file but ti will not let me repair, it gave me this message about possibly being a read only file it will not let me restore any back up file Help! I...

spell check does not visually cycle through cells when run from macro?
I'm trying to recreate the same behavior in a macro that spellcheck has when the spellcheck button is pressed. The spellcheck does not cycle through the cells visually when run from a macro, so when there is a misspelled word, you cannot see the cell it is a part of. If anyone knows how I can get this behavior to work, it would be GREATLY appreciated. I did a record new macro, and got code similar to the following: Sub testSpelling() Range("F2:F500").Select Selection.CheckSpelling SpellLang:=1033 End Sub thanks, dan Dan, Add the fiollowing to your code as shown: ...

WLM 14.0.8089.726 Voice Call not working!
i had WinXP SP2 and everything was fine but since i formated my PC with WinXP SP3 and edited some windows services (services.msc) and disabled Remote Assistance! voice chat in Windows Live Messenger (WLM) not working any more! Everything is fine even sending Voice Clip! It's just when i Call them they answer me. we can't hear each other! i wonder it doesn't work cuz i disabled Remote Assistance!!! While Yahoo Messenger & Skype working very well!!! sorry 4 my weak english. Help! ---------- Windows XP-SP3 - Intel Mobile 2.2 Ghz - 512 MB of ...

Outlook 2007 rule not running automatically 1 runs 1 does not?
Outlook 2007 rule not running automatically 1 runs 1 does not? I am very frustrated, I have a new setup of Outlook 2007 and cannot get rules to function correctly... here goes... I use IMAP email form my web host as I want messages coordinated with the server and addl computer at home. I have created a rule to copy all mail from account ??????@?????? to the main inbox (this works fine) then the 2nd rule does not run which is delete any message with the word [SPAM] caps and in those brackets as the email server marks suspected incoming SPAM with [SPAM] in the subject. Our ema...

Workflow just wont run automatically, i have to run them manually
Ok, so i created a WFR [WorkFlow Rule]. A simple one just to test i did When case is created wait Case.Case Number not null end wait Task: Case #: {!Case:Case Number;} Has Been Created creates a task to the person who created teh case, saying that the case was created and it only does so, when there is a case number. I save it, hit activate. I go into CRM [from a different PC], create a new case, and no task. The only way i get a teask is by going to Action - Apply Rule - [selecting the rule i created] Am i doing something wrong? Thanks --------------= Posted using GrabIt =----...

Workflow rules not running on create but work if manually run
Hello, I have several workflow rules that were running when a case was created. All was fine but now some of the rule don't do what they are suppose to. The strange thing is that the workflow monitor shows that the rule ran and was completed. However, things like updating fields are working. If I run workflow rule manually from inside a case it works fine. I have rebooted the server with no luck Has anyone seen this and know why this is happening? Thanks in advance, Jarrad hi , You make it sure that you have Properly exposed the Activties with the rules set on the same to Workflow ...

Can't run add user wizard SBS console feature not installed correc
I have recently installed Windows SBS 2008 on a Dell PowerEdge T605. After completing the installation and running all the Windows updates, I tried to add the users and groups to the server. The first time I ran the Windows SBS console and clicked on the Users and Groups tab, I receive the error message. "The Windows SBS console feature is not setup correctly." The wizard window appears behind the error message and disappears when the error is dismissed. User Roles tab shows no roles and attempting to add a role gives the same issue as a new User. Groups behave the sam...

How do I allow a macro to run on a protecetd sheet without the user having to enter the password?
I have a macro (see below) that begins by unprotecting the active worksheet, runs several subs, then protects the sheet again. The user runs the macro by clicking on a graphic in a locked cell. The sheet is normally password protected. I'm pretty sure that something odd has happened - I'm sure the user could run the macro without having to give the password to unprotect, and now the macro won't run without they do that. Also, when the macro finishes, the sheet is protected, but doesn't seem to have password protection - Tools|Protection|Unprotect just unprotects it w...

Automatically run a macro
What do I name a macro to make it automatically run when the Excel file is first opened? Thanks ! Either call it Auto_Open, or else put the code inside the Workbook_Open event in the Thisworkbook code module. -- HTH RP (remove nothere from the email address if mailing direct) "SheriTingle" <SheriTingle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:ED241BBC-8D68-48D9-AB44-1642B0F3DAA1@microsoft.com... > What do I name a macro to make it automatically run when the Excel file is > first opened? Thanks ! Hi SheriTingle. You can name the macro anything you wan...

Anyone run into really slow 4.0 page rendering ?v
CRM 4.0 Removed all custom javascript. Our contact form is heavily customized, lots of new fields. It takes a much longer time to load contact form in 4.0 vs. our 3.0 environment. Appears to be overhead or the new UI in 4.0 Any help for this? I've tried IE8, no help. The form status goes "waiting for http://...", then says Done, then % bar goes to 100%, then after a few seconds, it finally renders. Jeff Hi Jeff; Generally speaking, I'd say the 4.0 pages load much faster than the 3.0 pages. Are subsequent loads of the same page slow as well, or does the second ...

do i need to run forest and domain prep after i reinstall exchange
do i need to run forest and domain prep after i reinstall exchange i saw on the ad that i still have the groups for exchange from the first installation if i run forest prep again , can it extend my schema again and double the extensions for exchange? -- srul On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 02:03:01 -0700, srulik <srulik@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >do i need to run forest and domain prep after i reinstall exchange >i saw on the ad that i still have the groups for exchange from the first >installation Nope. > >if i run forest prep again , can it extend my schema again...

Run all rules at once?
I'm using Outlook 2003 and there are times that the rules aren't running as they should. Don't know if this is a know issues or not, but from time to time I'll run the rules again. I have about 30 rules. It's a real pain to have to click and place a checkmark next to each rule I want to run. Is there a way to have Outlook run all the rules I have without clicking on each one. Or why didn't Microsoft add a "Select All" button??? Unfortunately not. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Coauthor, OneNote 2003 for W...

outlook web access doesn't work at all at Windows XP Profesional
Hi all, I already tried to open my e-mail using Exchange 2000 outlook web access on XP Profesional but it's having trouble. The internet explorer was only perform OWA's toolbar and appearance just kept loading on it. Please give the suggestions. Regards, Nita What is the service pack version of your Exchange 2000 server, Windows 2000 Server, and Windows XP Prof? "Yunita Yanto" <nita@muliagroup.co.id> wrote in message news:a3ec01c346bf$ba8fa5e0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > Hi all, > > I already tried to open my e-mail using Exchange 2000 > outlook web acce...

Server 2003
Our developers created some DOS (bat) command scripts to run on three different servers, they put them in scheduled jobs to run at specific times of the day - to import client files off our FTP server, copy from server to server inside our domain. The scheduled jobs do not run, yet when we right click on the schedules jobs, click run - they do work manually. The schedules jobs are enabled, "run as" - domain\administrator and domain\user (with administrator permission) - should the jobs "only" run as "administrator", and not a user with admin...

OL2002 Exchange Server 5.5; Rules do not run automatically; Run fine manually
I have OL2002 SP3 (on XP-Pro) with some rules to filter emails. I am connecting to an Exchange Server 5.5 SP4. My rules do not execute automatically - but if I run them manually they work just fine. All rules are enabled for automatic processing. The problem occurs when Outlook is first started and every other time. The rules never work automatically. A coworker is running OL2000 SR-1 with similar rules and his works fine against the same Exchange Server. Thanks, Scott ...

Office thinks system running OS X 10.4.10 is actually running pre 10.2.8
Not sure why it's happened, but I can't open any MS Office application. When I try, I get an error message saying that I should be running at least 10.2.8 even though I'm actually running 10.4.10. The same applies when I try to open Photoshop and Acrobat. Any thoughts? The only thing I have done recently is update to iTunes 7.4.2 - whether that's the cause or not, I don't know. Since other apps have the same problem it doesn't seem to be an Office issue, so the first thing I'd suggest is that you run Disk Utility - Repair Disk Permissions. If that doesn't re...

'Save as' and 'Run' installer files
Hi Everyone: 1. When I am given the option for a file to 'save as' or 'run,' I should always choose to 'save as' in my desktop since it will download faster and so I can check for viruses before running it-Correct? 2. If I 'do' choose to 'run' it, does it 'save' the file or does it just' run' it one time and I will have to 'save as' the next time I want to view the file? 3. If I do select 'save as' an installer file and then 'delete' the desktop file, is the file still installed? In other words, ...

HTTP 405
I have a Dynamics CRM 3.0 deployment in a clients organisation. The installation is fine as the enviroment diagnostics tell me. However, if I attempt to run any sort of report I get an HTTP 405 - Resource not allowed error....any ideas? Has no-one got an answer to this? not even the slightest hint?? "Doug T" wrote: > I have a Dynamics CRM 3.0 deployment in a clients organisation. The > installation is fine as the enviroment diagnostics tell me. However, if I > attempt to run any sort of report I get an HTTP 405 - Resource not allowed > error....any ideas? ------...