Purchased Office for Mac, can I selectively install?

 I have no experience with Macs. I have always used PCs with Windows,
presently on Windows XP.  	I am awaiting deivery of my first ever MAC
(Macbook) and Office for MAC. I only want to install Word and Excel from
Office.  I am not interested in nor want to waste resourses  installing the
Email handler,  Powerpoint , Entourage, or Messenger. I  Can this be easily
accomplished on the initial installation setup?  Do I have choices on
installation?

TIA

Hello - And welcome to Mac & to the newsgroup!

Although you do have custom installation options I strongly recommend that
you do an installation of everything pertaining to Word, Excel & Entourage
at the very least. If you don't want to install PowerPoint that's OK, but...

The fact is that the individual programs in the suite aren't really huge so
you won't be saving that much disk space & could be paying a heavy premium
in the long run. Much in Office 2004 revolves around shared resources &
Entourage so it's better to go ahead & install it all even if you never
launch it. Installing the full suite also enables updates go more smoothly &
makes certain that everything is up-to-snuff in the event you ever change
your mind... Installing an 'original' build from the DVD & then trying to
figure out what updates to apply in order to keep the peace with the
installed apps that have been updated all along can be a troublesome process
:-)
--
HTH |:>)
Bob Jones

"T. Duprex" <tduprexATlandmark.net> wrote in message
> I have no experience with Macs. I have always used PCs with Windows,
> presently on Windows XP.  I am awaiting deivery of my first ever MAC
> (Macbook) and Office for MAC. I only want to install Word and Excel from
> Office.  I am not interested in nor want to waste resourses  installing
> the
> Email handler,  Powerpoint , Entourage, or Messenger. I  Can this be
> easily
> accomplished on the initial installation setup?  Do I have choices on
> installation?
>
> TIA

0
CyberTaz
1/16/2007 8:36:26 PM
Hello T,

Bob is spot on.

All I'm posting for is to let you know, early in your Mac experience, that
"MAC" is something different from "Mac" (I forget what MAC stands for right
now, but it doesn't matter).

And I second Bob's welcome!

Cheers,

Clive Huggan
Canberra, Australia
(My time zone is 5-11 hours different from the US and Europe, so my
follow-on responses to those regions can be delayed)
Avoid long delays before your post appears -- use Entourage or newsreader
software -- see http://word.mvps.org/Mac/AccessNewsgroups.html

On 17/1/07 7:36 AM, in article uPFRS3aOHHA.448@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl,
"CyberTaz" <typegeneraltaz1ATcomcastdotnet> wrote:

> Hello - And welcome to Mac & to the newsgroup!
>
> Although you do have custom installation options I strongly recommend that
> you do an installation of everything pertaining to Word, Excel & Entourage
> at the very least. If you don't want to install PowerPoint that's OK, but...
>
> The fact is that the individual programs in the suite aren't really huge so
> you won't be saving that much disk space & could be paying a heavy premium
> in the long run. Much in Office 2004 revolves around shared resources &
> Entourage so it's better to go ahead & install it all even if you never
> launch it. Installing the full suite also enables updates go more smoothly &
> makes certain that everything is up-to-snuff in the event you ever change
> your mind... Installing an 'original' build from the DVD & then trying to
> figure out what updates to apply in order to keep the peace with the
> installed apps that have been updated all along can be a troublesome process
> :-)

"CyberTaz" <typegeneraltaz1ATcomcastdotnet> wrote in

I'm sure I have a lot of de-Windowsafication to go through and appreciate
your input.

One follow up question:  Is there a similar scheme on the Mac that contains
a file of applications that run something at startup? I continually had to
monitor any newly installed applications  and remove any request from
needlessly running at startup.
Hi,

I'm in favor of doing a custom install. I'd suggest you install Word, Excel,
PowerPoint and Entourage. Even if you don't plan to use Excel or Entourage.
Entourage enables a handy Mac-only feature in office called Flag for
Follow-up. There's a button for this on the Word toolbar. If you don't
install Entourage then flag for follow-up might not work. Entourage has a
project gallery that is not in Windows Office. It is an elaborate file
sharing and organization feature that is worth looking into.

Don't install the MSN application from the Office CD. The version on the CD
is old and won't work anymore.  If you want to use it, get the latest
version from MacTopia
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/downloads.aspx

There are some programs that ought to be in your startup items, but not
many.

To find the startup items for the entire computer:
Click the blue apple in the uppler left corner of the screen
Choose System Preferences
In the System section click Accounts
Click the Startup Items tab
Add and remove items by clicking the + and - buttons near the bottom of the
list. You probably won't need to adjust this list. I am not aware of any
troublesome Mac applications that put themselves into the list without being
purposefully put there by the user.

The Microsoft daemon should be there after you install office. There may be
one or two others, like iTunes, for example. You might find others there if
you tell the software to open when you start the computer. Typically that
might be messenger applications like Yahoo messenger, MSN Messenger, etc.

Hope this helps.

-Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

Quoting from "T. Duprex" <tduprexATlandmark.net>, in article
Xns98BAC9C2A990Fpinger@207.46.248.16, on [DATE:

> "CyberTaz" <typegeneraltaz1ATcomcastdotnet> wrote in
>
> I'm sure I have a lot of de-Windowsafication to go through and appreciate
> your input.
>
> One follow up question:  Is there a similar scheme on the Mac that contains
> a file of applications that run something at startup? I continually had to
> monitor any newly installed applications  and remove any request from
> needlessly running at startup.

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

MVPs are not Microsoft Employees
MVP info http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

0
goldkey74 (611)
1/17/2007 2:49:00 AM
Yes, there is a "Startup Items" control panel in Mac OS X.  It's part of the
User group in your System Preferences.

However, you do not have to monitor it: in OS X, nothing can install without
asking your permission, and when you give that permission you can determine
whether you want it to run at startup or not.

NOTE:  You should always create at least one "user" account for yourself as
well as the "Administrator" account.  Then do not use the Administrator
account.

That way, you will be prompted anytime ANYTHING tries to install, and if you
blow up your user identity you have a clean one ready that you can simply
log in to, enabling you to create a new user account for yourself and move
your data over.  You'll be back in business in less than a minute.

I recommend that as a proportion if you're new to Mac.  It is extremely
difficult to blow up a user account on a Mac.  But it is NOT impossible :-)

Similarly, I would not bother trying to do a custom install.  The normal way
to install applications on the Mac is to simply put a CD in the hold.  It
will open a window showing a picture of a folder that contains the whole
suite.  Just drag that folder to your Applications folder.

If you do that, you will have a trouble-free time.  If you try to pick and
choose, you will get lots of little problems with things not being available
or not working right.

Your MacBook is ten times more powerful than the Windows machine you may
have been using five years ago.  There's no need to cut things back: it
won't make your system operate any better, but it may cause lockups and
crashes.

A modern application is not a solid lump of code: it's a "Shell" and a core.
Vastly over-simplifying things, the shell is tiny compared to the core: just
a few megabytes.  It basically contains only some of the user interface.

In Microsoft Office all of the real work is done by the "core" which must be
there for any of the applications to operate.  If you leave any of the
applications out, you will not be saving a quarter of the disk space, you
will save only a few megabytes.  The shell is tiny compared to the core,
which contains all the common routines used by all the programs.

Put the lot in, then sit back and enjoy.  The reason you bought a Mac was so
you didn't have to fret about system maintenance all the time.  Enjoy the
fruits of someone else's labour for a change.

Oh:  That does not apply to "Backing Up".  Hardware still fails, even on a
Mac.  Users still delete the wrong thing, even on a Mac.  Thieves still
steal laptops and all the data they contain: especially if they're
highly-desirable Macs.  Make sure your backup WORKS by TESTING it  :-)

Cheers

On 17/1/07 11:50 AM, in article Xns98BAC9C2A990Fpinger@207.46.248.16, "T.
Duprex" <tduprexATlandmark.net> wrote:

> "CyberTaz" <typegeneraltaz1ATcomcastdotnet> wrote in
>
> I'm sure I have a lot of de-Windowsafication to go through and appreciate
> your input.
>
> One follow up question:  Is there a similar scheme on the Mac that contains
> a file of applications that run something at startup? I continually had to
> monitor any newly installed applications  and remove any request from
> needlessly running at startup.

--

Please reply to the newsgroup to maintain the thread.  Please do not email
me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie <john@mcghie.name>
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh.  Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

0
john7143 (1073)
1/17/2007 6:29:03 AM
On 17/1/07 06:29, in article C1D40D5F.5BEF7%john@mcghie.name, "John McGhie
[MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]" <john@mcghie.name> wrote:

> Make sure your backup WORKS by TESTING it  :-)

I can't stress that highly enough - just last week I heard from a friend
whose old iMac died over Christmas. My first question was "did you back
up?". Well, he did - a full backup at the start of every month, and
incremental backups every week. Being Christmas, he had missed the full
backup at the start of December, but had continued the weekly incremental
backups.

When he came to restore to a new imac, he found his last full backup was
corrupt and wouldn't restore. Because the full backup wouldn't work, he
couldn't get anything out of the incrementals either. He lost everything.

--
Barry Wainwright
Microsoft MVP (see http://mvp.support.microsoft.com for details)

0
barry5268 (197)
1/17/2007 7:32:31 AM
.... What Jim, John & Barry said :) - even though Jim & John are at odds on
custom installs. FWIW, I tend to side with John - especially if you're not
thoroughly familiar with the real nitty-gritty inner workings of the
software being installed. As I said before, the disk space trade-off can
cost you dearly in the long run...

That's why Heaven gave us such a generous array of external storage devices.
If disk space ever becomes a problem, buy some more :) In the meantime, buy
some more anyway & keep the primary clean by archiving any files you don't
need frequently or aren't critical rather than trying to skimp on app
installations. There's plenty of other "stand-alone" stuff on the drive that
you can probably dispose of without interfering with the operation of
anything else - and avoid the temptation to d/l  a lot of junk from the
'net;) just to give you an idea, on my G5 I have OS X, fully installed MS
Office, The complete Adobe Professional Suite, the complete Macromedia 8
Suite, Stuff-it, Toast, all the original Apple iStuff along with several
other apps and utilities & everything weighs in at less than 50 GB. I store
all my 'active' files on an external firewire HD and archive everything else
to 750 MB zips, CDs & DVDs for music, video & image libraries... Even if it
were a laptop as my only system I wouldn't need to lug all that stuff around
on a routine basis.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 1/16/07 7:50 PM, in article Xns98BAC9C2A990Fpinger@207.46.248.16, "T.
Duprex" <tduprexATlandmark.net> wrote:

> "CyberTaz" <typegeneraltaz1ATcomcastdotnet> wrote in
>
> I'm sure I have a lot of de-Windowsafication to go through and appreciate
> your input.
>
> One follow up question:  Is there a similar scheme on the Mac that contains
> a file of applications that run something at startup? I continually had to
> monitor any newly installed applications  and remove any request from
> needlessly running at startup.

Hi again,

To make things more comfortable for you, it doesn't really make a whole lot
of difference if you do a custom install or a drag-and-drop install of
Microsoft Office. We're just trying too hard to give you the optimal install
when really it's just easy to do either way.

Probably the most important thing is to use the Remove Office tool to get
rid of the Office Test Drive if it came with your computer. Do that before
installing Office from the CD.

-Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

Quoting from "CyberTaz" <onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net>, in article
C1D44C88.1D0B4%onlygeneraltaz1@com.cast.net, on [DATE:

> ... What Jim, John & Barry said :) - even though Jim & John are at odds on
>
> custom installs. FWIW, I tend to side with John - especially if you're not
> thoroughly familiar with the real nitty-gritty inner workings of the
> software being installed. As I said before, the disk space trade-off can
> cost you dearly in the long run...
>
> That's why Heaven gave us such a generous array of external storage devices.
> If disk space ever becomes a problem, buy some more :) In the meantime, buy
> some more anyway & keep the primary clean by archiving any files you don't
> need frequently or aren't critical rather than trying to skimp on app
> installations. There's plenty of other "stand-alone" stuff on the drive that
> you can probably dispose of without interfering with the operation of
> anything else - and avoid the temptation to d/l  a lot of junk from the
> 'net;) just to give you an idea, on my G5 I have OS X, fully installed MS
> Office, The complete Adobe Professional Suite, the complete Macromedia 8
> Suite, Stuff-it, Toast, all the original Apple iStuff along with several
> other apps and utilities & everything weighs in at less than 50 GB. I store
> all my 'active' files on an external firewire HD and archive everything else
> to 750 MB zips, CDs & DVDs for music, video & image libraries... Even if it
> were a laptop as my only system I wouldn't need to lug all that stuff around
> on a routine basis.
>
> Regards |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac
>

> On 1/16/07 7:50 PM, in article Xns98BAC9C2A990Fpinger@207.46.248.16, "T.
> Duprex" <tduprexATlandmark.net> wrote:
>
>> "CyberTaz" <typegeneraltaz1ATcomcastdotnet> wrote in
>>
>> I'm sure I have a lot of de-Windowsafication to go through and appreciate
>> your input.
>>
>> One follow up question:  Is there a similar scheme on the Mac that contains
>> a file of applications that run something at startup? I continually had to
>> monitor any newly installed applications  and remove any request from
>> needlessly running at startup.

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

MVPs are not Microsoft Employees
MVP info http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

0
goldkey74 (611)

public subfolder can't be create
I cannot create sub public folder in exchange enterprise administration snapin. Please help. Thanks Ben When you attempt to do this, what error are you receiving? amyma@online.microsoft.com Please do not send email directly to this alias. This alias is for newsgroup purposes only. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. "ben" <jon_lee72@excite.com> wrote in message news:OL6OyhFHEHA.548@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > I cannot create sub public folder in exchange enterprise administration > snapin. > > Please help. >...

We can't use a public folder, we can see it?
I have created a Group mailing folder in 'All public folders', set the permissions for my colleagues. they can see the folder on the navigation page, but cannot see it in the list when they create a new email, why? We are using 2007. Is this a Contacts folder? You'll have to add it to your Public Folder Favorites first. See http://www.msoutlook.info/question/292 After that, you can configure the properties of the Contacts folder to show as an Outlook Address Book. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] Coauthor, Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003 http://www.howto...

Stock Purchases
How can I make the stock chart display the points when I bought the stock? "Michael" <Michael@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:504BBD54-088D-4F17-BF64-CA30478157D2@microsoft.com... > How can I make the stock chart display the points when I bought the stock? Short version: A few weeks after you buy the stock, you have to delete the online price for that day in the manual price update list, and edit the buy transaction in the investment register so that it creates a "Buy" entry in the manual price update list. If you try to do this too soon a...

MS OFFICE X TO MS OFFICE 2008
I have MS Office X and considering purchasing Office 2008 Home and Student edition. Should I? and what should I be concerned about when making the switch? Thank you for your advice. On 2/21/08 4:02 AM, in article ee8e435.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "BOBICATO@officeformac.com" <BOBICATO@officeformac.com> wrote: > I have MS Office X and considering purchasing Office 2008 Home and Student > edition. Should I? and what should I be concerned about when making the > switch? Thank you for your advice. Office X is end of life software, so making the change is a good one. W...

Restricted Access Error with Microsoft Office 2004 SP2 and Mac OS 10.3.x
We updated to Microsoft Office 2004 SP2 and everything runs fine. However, on the 20 or so restricted access ID's that we had previously setup now encounter the infamous http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;908466 error: When you start Microsoft Excel 2004 for Mac, Microsoft PowerPoint 2004 for Mac, or Microsoft Word 2004 for Mac, you receive the following error message: "An unexpected error occurred while trying to load the Microsoft Framework library." This only happens with a restricted account. We have uninstalled, cleared the startup items, startup addi...

Why does outlook ask for the Office disk when I try to send email.
When I try to reply or send an email, Outlook says that I need the Office 2000 SR-1 CD. When I installed Office I did a complete install, why does it still need the Office CD. Sounds like something got broken and Outlook tries to repair it. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Properly back-up and restore your Outlook data -Create an Office 2003 CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 1 ----- "Deemat" <Deemat@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:68682FA0-3700-4E5E-9F56-848D7299A43F@microsoft.com... > When I try to reply o...

Can I create a sub-table for one certain field?
The table I've created has a sub-table already, but I'd like to make another sub-table just for one column. Can I do this? For example, my table is called projects. It has a sub-table connected called tasks. One of my fields in my projects table is called project name. In that field or column, I'd like to add a sub-table called project name list. It sounds like you are trying to do this working directly in the tables. If so, stop now! Access is not a spreadsheet. The things you learned to do in Excel, you'll need to unlearn, if you want to get good use from A...

Install Sharepoint Support for Office 2003
I want to change an existing Office 2003 network installation. The feature I want to add is Windows SharePoint Services Support. I tried to do this via the Custom Maintenance Wizard. But the Windows Sharepoint Services Support will not install. Hopefully someone can help me with this. I don't want to manually install the feature for 300+ clients. Have you tried to ask in the sharepoint newsgroup ? On the web: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.sharepoint.general -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the be...

can't save xlsb

Live Chat: Purchasing
The transcript for the Purchasing chat is now available here: http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/rms/using/chats/0801POs.mspx Our thanks to all of the chat participants and experts. You can find additional chat transcripts, announcements of upcoming chats and events, and helpful articles—including the latest installments in our Inventory Management Series—on the "Using Microsoft Dynamics" site: http://www.microsoft.com/dynamics/rms/using/chats/0801POs.mspx -- This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and it confers no rights. Corrected second link below: &...

what can be trusted in email header?
Hello, In my previous posts, I got a following response /////////////////// Peter Durkee wrote: >>>> How can they fake these email header information? >>> They open up a telnet session and insert stuff there. I imagine >>> people created some software to do this too. >> So it means that even if I run SPAMCOP to get information about the >> originator of an email, this information is not still reliable and a >> reasonably knowledgeable person can fake it. > There is information in the headers that you can trust, like the ip > address of t...

Office reinstalled itself
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC After installing .mac iDisk, restarted computer and Office 2004 opened in original installation form. All my Entourage data gone, and much-modified Word Normal.dot gone. Have been able to switch Entourage identity to a month-old backed-up database, but still can't get Word to use a current normal.dot. Have my data for Office vanished? If not, where might it be? Help much wanted and appreciated. With thanks, Bob > After installing .mac iDisk, restarted computer and Office 2004 opened in original installation form...

Office 2007 Trial version.
The 60-day trial version has been running on the user's machine or about 3 months now. Outlook has locked out the 'reply to' mssage option. User only requires Outlook and does NOT need Word or Excel. If I purchase just Outlook 2007 can I activate just the installed Outlook, or does the whole of the trial version of Office (including Outlook) need to be uninstalled first? Yes, you have to uninstall the Trial & its Activation Assistant, reboot, prior to installing any paid for version "G0AOZ" <G0AOZ@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message ...

Segregation of Duties (Financial , Purchasing)
I'm interested in locating some kind of documentation that will show me what specific permissioning is involved in Advanced Security for segregation of duties. For example, only Class A can only approve and post transactions while Class B approves. What specific permissions do I select for Class A and what specific permissions do I select for Class B in Advanced Security? I'm unable to find doco that shows me what each permission achieves. Thanks! Hi Maatthias, Out of the box Advanced Secuirty does not have any SOD information. Feel free to contact me with any specific que...

Office 2003 Signature Problem
My Outlook 2003 intermittently will not use the correct signature line for new or replies. I do this setup correct. Any ideas? David Are there any similarities between the messages it doesn't add it to? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Outlook Tips: http://www.outlook-tips.net/ Outlook & Exchange Solutions Center: http://www.slipstick.com/ Outlook Tips by email: mailto:dailytips-subscribe-request@lists.outlooktips.net EMO - a weekly newsletter about Outlook and Exchange: mailto:EMO-NEWSLETTER-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST@PEACH.EASE.LSOFT.COM Poll: What version of Ou...

Office 2K XL question please
I want to do an FFT on some data so in the HELP system I find I must install the Analysis ToolPak. It even tells me how to install it: "To install the Analysis ToolPak On the Tools menu, click Add-Ins. " Only problem is that there's no TOOLS on my menu. My top menu items are FILE EDIT VIEW INSERT FORMAT DATA WINDOW HELP. I looked everywhere for some other menu with TOOLS in it with no luck. I did find a "Toolbar" but I saw nothing about any Analysis or Add-Ins. If I ever get it installed, I'll need the TOOLS menu again for the HELP tells how to use it: &q...

Office 2003 Pictures not compatible with Office 2008 Mac #2
I'm using MS Office Mac 2008. Rest of company using PC/Windows and MS Office 2003. When I view corp documents (PowerPoint, Word), some of the pictures in the document are formatted incorrectly. I don't know the source of the picture but it is some sort of bitmap image (jpg, gif, bmp). Displays correctly on PC and Office 2003. When I open these files with MS Office Mac 2008, some of these pictures display properly, but many others are zoomed/cropped. Happens with both PowerPoint and Word. I can right click on the picture, and choose "format picture" so Office sees it as...

Purchase order enhancements #3
The functional and originating totals display the same amount (when using multicurrency) in the Purchase Order Enhancements Entry window What release? What Service Pack? Best regards, -- MG.- Mariano Gomez, MIS, MCP, PMP Maximum Global Business, LLC http://www.maximumglobalbusiness.com "Ben" wrote: > The functional and originating totals display the same amount (when using > multicurrency) in the Purchase Order Enhancements Entry window GP 9 service pack 1. for some reason though the gp version is 9.00.0267 and according to the service pack documentation it should be 9...

error message in Office 2004 (newly installed)
I have just bought and installed Office 2004 (German version) on my MacBook Pro, and I get an error message each time I open one of the applications: an unexpected error in the framework library. I reinstalled the software but get the same result. I woulod appreciate any help! In article <ee89696.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw>, martinjuergens@officeformac.com wrote: > I have just bought and installed Office 2004 (German version) on my MacBook > Pro, and I get an error message each time I open one of the applications: an > unexpected error in the framework library. I reinstalle...

Can someone explain OLK folders?
We have to keep deleting them because they keep attachments from opening..then when you search for OLK it appears to be a hidden folder. Confused. The OLK<whatever> folder is a folder used by Outlook to store temporary copies of attachments. -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "~D~" <someone@microsoft.com> wrote in message news:O4PZRzAqEHA.3748@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl... > We have to keep deleting them because they ke...

How to Link Purchase Invoice with Purchase Receipts
Hi, We are using Great Plains 6.0. I am trying to generate report to link Purchase Invoice with Multiple Purchase Receipt.I am using Crystal Report/Business Objects to make this report. I have used the following tables 1. PM30200 (PM Paid Transaction History File) 2. POP30300 (Purchase Receipt History) 3. POP30310 (Purchase Receipt Line History) I have created two view tables by joining these tables. A. PM30200.DOCNMBR = POP30300.VNDDOCNM AND PM30200.VENDORID = POP30300.VENDORID AND PM30200.DOCTYPE=1 AND (PM30200.BCHSORCE IN ('Rcvg Trx Ivc','Rcvg Trx Entry'...

Can't i get to my mails like this????
Hi clever people Pls help me here. I need to know if i can "directly" connect to my exch2003 server to receive and send mail without using OWA. I want to use my client Outlook 2003. I have a laptop who is on the network connected to my exchange mailbox and i'm in "Cached Exchanged Mode". When i'm away from the office i have a hsdpa (wireless) card who provides me with internet access. Is there a way where i can configure my laptop(win xp pro) and my server so that if i'm away from the office i can connect with my account to the server without setting up ...

Out of Office Auto reply blank message body
Hi all, I meet a problem from OOO reply. When I enabled the OOO and type some message in the reply content, it works fine within the exchange clients and they can read my message clearly. But for the other internet email system, e.g. Hotmail etc., they can receive my reply, but with a blank message body. Thanks for any comment! ...

Updating MS Office 98 for Mac to newer MS Office version & other questions
Hi! I have a Mac iBook with a Power PC G3 Processor, Disk Cache: 4096k, Virtual Memory 129 MB, Built-In Memory 128 MB, Machine Speed 600MHz (so it says in the system profiler...I don't really know what all this means and if someone has an easy explanation, I'd appreciate it). Though it came with OSX, I have been running it on OS 9.2 because I purchased Microsoft Office 98 for Mac (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) back in 1999 for my last Mac (a desktop), so I loaded it onto this iBook when I got it. My question is, can I qualify for an update of MS Office? From browsing the web I noticed ther...

can't send email-again
I thought this prob was fixed, but it has returned. Your server has unexpectedly terminated the connection. Possible causes for this include server problems, network problems, or a long period of inactivity. Subject 'Re: ', Account: 'pop.att.yahoo.com', Server: 'smtp.att.yahoo.com', Protocol: SMTP, Port: 465, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10053, Error Number: 0x800CCC0F Thx Why did you not disable your email scanning by your Anti Virus as was prescribed to you a while ago. Disable your Anti Virus from scanning in and outgoing emails Read the follo...