probelms with attaching files and saving files

Version: 2004
Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Intel

I am using a mac mini running 10.4.11 with an intel processor.

office for the Mac 2004 11.5.3

My email is gmail. The problem is this.

When I try and attach and attach a word or excel file to an email and sometimes just copying these files to a data memory chip The attachment is saved as (application/octet-stream)43R instead of either a word or excelfile. Then when it it sent and an attempt is made to down load and open the file a dialog box says this is a binary file and sometimes has a mpeg icon and can not be opened .

This problem has not always been the case., although I have had some similar issues sending to a PC based machines.

I need to be able to attach these word and excel files can anybody help?
0
colimanut (3)

On 3/14/09 1:31 PM,  "colimanut@officeformac.com"
<colimanut@officeformac.com> wrote:

> When I try and attach and attach a word or excel file to an email and
> sometimes just copying these files to a data memory chip The attachment is
> saved as (application/octet-stream)43R instead of either a word or excelfile.

You totally lost me at copying to a data memory chip.

Basically, you save a file, then drag that file to the Entourage attachment
window, or navigate to the file using the attachment window Add button.

See the Attachment FAQs

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/faq_topic/attachments.html>

--
Diane

If you're using gmail you need to check with Google on how to make the
appropriate settings for attachments.

The program originating the document has nothing to do with creating the
attachment. Just make sure you always save your files with filename
extensions using the checkbox for that purpose in the Save As dialog. Its
also a good idea to zip/stuff the file you intend to send as an attachment
regardless of whether it's going to a Mac user or a PC user.

As is Diane, I'm completely baffled by the way you mixed in the "data memory
chip" business. There really isn't any way that normal copying of a file
should cause a change in the file type. If you'll clearly describe exactly
what you're doing perhaps a suggestion can be offered.

HTH |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 3/14/09 4:31 PM, in article 59b6f45e.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"colimanut@officeformac.com" <colimanut@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2004
> Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
> Processor: Intel
>
> I am using a mac mini running 10.4.11 with an intel processor.
>
> office for the Mac 2004 11.5.3
>
> My email is gmail. The problem is this.
>
> When I try and attach and attach a word or excel file to an email and
> sometimes just copying these files to a data memory chip The attachment is
> saved as (application/octet-stream)43R instead of either a word or excelfile.
> Then when it it sent and an attempt is made to down load and open the file a
> dialog box says this is a binary file and sometimes has a mpeg icon and can
> not be opened .
>
> This problem has not always been the case., although I have had some similar
> issues sending to a PC based machines.
>
> I need to be able to attach these word and excel files can anybody help?

> If you're using gmail you need to check with Google on how to make the
> appropriate settings for attachments.
>
> The program originating the document has nothing to do with creating the
> attachment. Just make sure you always save your files with filename
> extensions using the checkbox for that purpose in the Save As dialog. Its
> also a good idea to zip/stuff the file you intend to send as an attachment
> regardless of whether it's going to a Mac user or a PC user.
>
> As is Diane, I'm completely baffled by the way you mixed in the "data memory
> chip" business. There really isn't any way that normal copying of a file
> should cause a change in the file type. If you'll clearly describe exactly
> what you're doing perhaps a suggestion can be offered.
>
> HTH |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac
>

> On 3/14/09 4:31 PM, in article 59b6f45e.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
> "colimanut@officeformac.com" wrote:
>
> > Version: 2004
> > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
> > Processor: Intel
> >
> > I am using a mac mini running 10.4.11 with an intel processor.
> >
> > office for the Mac 2004 11.5.3
> >
> > My email is gmail. The problem is this.
> >
> > When I try and attach and attach a word or excel file to an email and
> > sometimes just copying these files to a data memory chip The attachment is
> > saved as (application/octet-stream)43R instead of either a word or excelfile.
> > Then when it it sent and an attempt is made to down load and open the file a
> > dialog box says this is a binary file and sometimes has a mpeg icon and can
> > not be opened .
> >
> > This problem has not always been the case., although I have had some similar
> > issues sending to a PC based machines.
> >
> > I need to be able to attach these word and excel files can anybody help?
>
> Bob Jones,

Thanks checking file name extension box in the save as dialog box seems to have done the trick.

Is the zip/stuffit a free app that can be downloaded?

Thank you for your help.
0
colimanut (3)
3/16/2009 12:22:42 AM
On 3/15/09 5:22 PM,  "colimanut@officeformac.com"
<colimanut@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Is the zip/stuffit a free app that can be downloaded?

Archive (zip) is a part of Apple. If you hold the Contextual menu key and
select a file, one of the options is to Compress. This zips the file.

Stuffit if a third party application. You can get Stuffit Expander for free.

<http://www.smith-micro-software.com/stuffit-expander.html>

--
Diane

On 3/15/09 8:22 PM, in article 59b6f45e.2@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"colimanut@officeformac.com" <colimanut@officeformac.com> wrote:

>> If you're using gmail you need to check with Google on how to make the
>> appropriate settings for attachments.
>>
>> The program originating the document has nothing to do with creating the
>> attachment. Just make sure you always save your files with filename
>> extensions using the checkbox for that purpose in the Save As dialog. Its
>> also a good idea to zip/stuff the file you intend to send as an attachment
>> regardless of whether it's going to a Mac user or a PC user.
>>
>> As is Diane, I'm completely baffled by the way you mixed in the "data memory
>> chip" business. There really isn't any way that normal copying of a file
>> should cause a change in the file type. If you'll clearly describe exactly
>> what you're doing perhaps a suggestion can be offered.
>>
>> HTH |:>)
>> Bob Jones
>> [MVP] Office:Mac
>>

>> On 3/14/09 4:31 PM, in article 59b6f45e.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
>> "colimanut@officeformac.com" wrote:
>>
>>> Version: 2004
>>> Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
>>> Processor: Intel
>>>
>>> I am using a mac mini running 10.4.11 with an intel processor.
>>>
>>> office for the Mac 2004 11.5.3
>>>
>>> My email is gmail. The problem is this.
>>>
>>> When I try and attach and attach a word or excel file to an email and
>>> sometimes just copying these files to a data memory chip The attachment is
>>> saved as (application/octet-stream)43R instead of either a word or
>>> excelfile.
>>> Then when it it sent and an attempt is made to down load and open the file a
>>> dialog box says this is a binary file and sometimes has a mpeg icon and can
>>> not be opened .
>>>
>>> This problem has not always been the case., although I have had some similar
>>> issues sending to a PC based machines.
>>>
>>> I need to be able to attach these word and excel files can anybody help?
>>
>> Bob Jones,
>
> Thanks checking file name extension box in the save as dialog box seems to
> have done the trick.
>
> Is the zip/stuffit a free app that can be downloaded?
>
> Thank you for your help.

No problem. As for "free" you can try Googling - There are a lot of offers
out there on Stuffit Standard. It just depends on what you're willing to put
up with in the name of "free" :-) Quite Frankly I think Stuffit Deluxe is
one of the few apps out there that's worth the price.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Incremental backup failed due to missinf log files
Hi Folks, I'm getting the below error when I try to do incremental backups of Exchange. I suspect that the missing files (the other one is a log file too) were taken by Symantec AV before I could exclude the directory. They weren't in the quarentine though. At any rate this is a new install and I want to start the full then incremental backup sequence going. Any idea how to get by this ? Can't find anything on the web or on Microsoft's site. Is it possible to get the log's wiped out and start teh full b/u again ? Thanks, Denis Event Type: Error Event Source: ESE Event C...

outlook 2000 and attachment!
whenever I attach a file to an email, the receipient/s get severl copies ( 32 to be exact!!!!!!) of that email. any ideas!? Thank you. ...

Help Files Internet Explorer Script Error
In Publisher Help, when I click on a link in "Troubleshoot background and foreground pages," I get an Internet Explorer Script Error - "An error has occurred in the script on this page. Line: 1, Char: 1, Object doesn't support this property or method, Code 0, mk:@MSITStore:C:\Program%20Files\Microsoft% 20Office\Office\1033 \pub6.chm::/pub9html/pbmnulCONTNT2015.HTM, Do you want to continue running scripts on this page? Yes/No." After managing to set up OE-QuoteFix on his new PC, Ed reads a message from Roy Steinmetz <rasteinmetzXSPAM@hotmail.com>... > In ...

Print preview publisher file different pages appear
When I print preview a catalog publication I created with Publisher , it shows me different pages , not the pages I see them on my actual screen. As for the color issue I have installed the driver for printing , but how can I print ?? your quick reply is appreciated Are you using the catalog merge? Your explanation of your problem is not very clear. What you see on the screen if you are using catalog merge is only one merge block. When you look at print preview, you are seeing the total merge. -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.mi...

Database file in use
I am having problems with one of my Access databases in which the database file is locked and only one user can get in at a time. If anyone else tries to get into it, it says "file in use." I have not made any changes to the database, including security, since this problem started or even before it. The only way to clear the problem is to restart the server. The problem is then temporarily resolved. The ldb file for that database is also locked up when this problem happens. If you try to open it with Word or Notpad, it says "Access denied." Has anyone else come...

attachments
I recently purchased office home and student. Then I purchased the book to help me figure out how to uses attachments But the book is about 3 inches thick and I need to be able to use attachments soon. I'm taking online courses and in the assignment section it says to compose my work in word then send as an attachment. Theres a button to push that will download the attachment. but how do I do this? The home and student edition of Office does not include the Outlook mail program. You will have to initiate you email messages in what ever Mail program that you do use ...

Attachments.
Hi, I keep having difficulties sending mails with attachments to external accounts. First, it only occurs sometimes. Second, if a user replies that the attachment has become unreadable and the internal user replies and attaches the same document (or even worse just resends the original mail) it arrives and attachments are fine. Problem first occured with PDF files in attachment and RTF formatted mail. Users than changed formatting to HTML. Problem remained unchanged. Than changed formatting at org level to plain text for certain domain. But the problem remains. Receiving users can see ...

download info from bank to same file
I am downloading from my bank (Scotiabank) to an Excel file, is there any way to download the next day to the same file, so I will not need to cut and paste? Jacob wrote: > I am downloading from my bank (Scotiabank) to an Excel file, is there any > way to download the next day to the same file, so I will not need to cut and > paste? There are probably many ways to do it, but I have done it this way with good success. 1 - Download your bank data to a text file in column the format you want and save it as Scotiabank.txt 2 - Open an Excel workbook and select Data, Import External ...

Hyperlink probelm
I have a spreadsheet with a couple of worksheets, in one of the worksheets I have a hyperlink to a specific cell in the other worksheet. e.g. Cell A1 in worksheet 1 has a link to cell A2 in worksheet 2 (with the text 'Phone' in it). If I was to insert a row above row 2 in worksheet 2, I still want the link in worksheet 1 to take me to the cell with the text 'Phone' in it (Which is now A3 after I have inserted the row). I realise I can go and change the link manually, but the example above is a simplfied version of my document and inserting a row moves about 30 hyperlinks!!! ...

Possible to embed non-Office files in Word docs?

How to convert Excel to ASCII file?
I have a large Excel file with many columns and rows. I need to convert it to an ASCII file that has each file separated by commas and with each field surrounded by double quotation marks. Can anyone guide me as to how to do this? Many thanks, CJN, You can save the file (File - Save As) specifying csv or txt as the file type ("Save as type" at bottom of dialog). Neither, as far as I know, will put quote marks around all fields -- only those with a field delimiter (comma) or text qualifier (quote marks) in the actual data. Quote marks around all fields aren't normally needed...

Image in signature appears as attachment.
I'm using Outlook 2002. I made a signature and inserted an image. In the email I write it appears nice and good looking. However the person who receives my email, gets the image not within the email itself, but as an attachment. Did I forget to set something? Hi Ricky, please use HTML Mails as standard -- Ich habe nichts gemacht, gestern gings noch! Bitte in den Newsgroup antworten damit jeder etwas davon hat. Bravestar@Datenschutzministerium.de "Ricky Gibson" <rickie@apd.nl> schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:QgMLc.48059$qK.32905@amsnews02.chello.com... > I'm using Ou...

CC without attachment
Hi there, Is there a direct way to send a message with an attachment without being received by CC contacts. I mean, only contacts in To field shall only receive the attachment, the rest will receive only the message Thanks for your help. No. --� Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. Due to the (insert latest virus name here) virus, all mail sent to my personal account will be deleted without reading. After searching google.groups.com and finding no answer, Waseem Khalil asked: | Hi there, | | Is there a direct way to send a messa...

File size issue in Publisher 2000
Hi All, We are working with a simple 40 page booklet that has a simple 40k JPG and a paragraph of text on 36 of the pages. The file size of the document is already over 21mb. I have looked at the graphics to see if anything was too large and everything is fairly small (and low res). We are having problems working with the document and it seems to crash often while saving. Can anyone explain the size issue? Is there a way to get the size back down to something manageable? Thanks, George George, Here are a couple articles that might help: PUB2000: File Size Increases Unexpectedly Wh...

Controlling the attachments
Hi I running Outlook 2003 against an Exchange Server, and the message telling me that Outlook blocking attachments appear from time to time. Is there a way to control what attachment to pass by the filter? TIRislaa See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/esecup/getexe.htm -- Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP Author of Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for Administrators, Power Users, and Developers http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx "Tor Inge Rislaa" <tor.inge.nospam@rislaa.no> wrote in message news:%23dcvwVhqEHA.2856@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Hi ...

Delete files after copy completes or move files or cut/paste
Hey, I am actually running it on command prompt but I couldn't find where to put it and i figure this is the closest thing to it. A script will work but I prefer command line. Either one, I will be greatful. :) I am running this on schedule task: "C:\Program Files\Ipswitch\WS_FTP Professional\wsftppro56.exe" -s "FIS LPS ClientExtracts IMPORT:/ProcessManagement/*" -d "local:\\as1\CorpData\IT\SQLSupport\IntegrationServices\ETL_LPS\Data\Inbound\" This will call on the software and run the job. The job will copy the files on the remote folder and...

Trying to delete blank rows after file save
In a spreadsheet I pull specific data out and copy into another spreadsheet. Then, if there are any blank rows I would like to delete them and save the file again. Here's my example: Selection.Copy Workbooks.Open Filename:= _ "X:\Legal to Accounting Check Requests\slsTax dbapcvi.csv" Selection.PasteSpecial Paste:=xlPasteValues, Operation:=xlNone, SkipBlanks _ :=False, Transpose:=False ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs Filename:= _ "X:\Legal to Accounting Check Requests\slsTax dbapcviTEST.csv", FileFormat _ :=xlCSV, Cr...

can not open a xls file by double clicking
when i doubleclick an excel file excel opens but doesn't display my workbook or any new workbook but if i open excel first and apply "file+open" workbooks opens without any problem. i dont know what to do. reinstalled office xp pro, repaired etc. problem still be. Tools>Options>General uncheck "Ignore other Applications" Exit Excel and try again If this doesn't work try to re-register Excel Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar 1) Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK. 2) Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(n...

Signature appearing as attachment......
We have been upgrading some users to Outlook 2003. One user is having issues with his signature. His signatures contains a .gif image. When composing an e-mail, his signature appears correct. If he sends the email to himself, the image contained in the signature appears as an attachment. If he sends me an e-mail, his signature also appears as an attachment. If I make a signature with an image and send it to myself, it appears correct. His signature works properly if he uses OE. Any help would be appreciated, Harold ...

AC2003 Trying to register .OCX Files
I have a AC2003 application that uses COMDLG32.OCX and COMCTL32.OCX. Created install package using the package wizard. Installed application on test machine and all went well. Test machine is Win2000 Pro, SP3 with MS office 2003 Enterprise. Application stalls and give an error when I try to use COMDLG32.OCX. The error message is "438 Object Doesn't Support this property or method". Checked references and all seems OK. Since the new package wizard doesn't let you place files in WINNT\System32 folder I installed the OCX files in the same folder as the application. Unfortu...

Emails with Excel attachments disappear
Having this problem across several PCs, some emails with Excel attachments are disappearing when Outlook 2k3 receives them. If I send one of these Excel files (some go through fine, some don't), I can check the mail logs on our sendmail server, it is received, delivered to the recipients e-mail box, and I can view it in Webmail and download the attachment as long as Outlook hasn't tried to receive the email. Once Outlook receives the email, it deletes it from the server and it never appears in on the client machine. No filters in place on the recipient PC, other emails from ...

Large attachments get stuck in outbox.
When ever I send out a number of PDF files attached to an email (3mb+) outlook send the files over and over and over the message get stuck in the out box and never gets deleted until I delete it. Also I receive back an notification of a sucsess full delivery to___________ but the message is blak after those words. This has happened many times to many differant destinations. I have contacted my ISP and they assure me ther is no limit on my emails other than my mail box 10mb limit. These email are under that and I am connected all the time. Help please. ...

View Picture Attachments
I can I view my picture attachments in the message while using Outlook. I'm able to view them and scroll thorugh each in Outlook Express. Outlook can only display images "inline" if the sender used HTML or Rich Text format for the message and embedded the image into the body. If the image was sent as an attachment, you will always receive it as an attachment. -- Jocelyn Fiorello MVP - Outlook *** Messages sent to my e-mail address will NOT be answered -- please reply only to the newsgroup to preserve the message thread. *** In news:b93001c3b926$ffed3f60$a601280a@phx.gbl...

Email attachments #7
When I send emails with MS Word doc attachments, my recipients often receive attached files as .dat files. When attaching a .doc file, if the attached file icon does not come up in the separate 'attachment window' below the box for the body of the email text, I am guaranteed that it will not go through as a .doc file. There does not seem to be any pattern as to why this occurs. Any suggestions? Thanks Try using Plain Text format to send your attachment. To change the format of your email: Open TOOLS | OPTIONS... | MAIL FORMAT For more info: How to Prevent the Winmail.da...

attachments #122
I just set up Outlook and all messages are seding ok except when I try to sent one with an attachment. If there a setting somewhere which will allow attacments? Tom Early <TomEarly@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: > I just set up Outlook and all messages are seding ok except when I > try to sent one with an attachment. If there a setting somewhere > which will allow attacments? What version of Outlook? What type of account? What happens when you try to send with an attachment? -- Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook] ...