previously functional Office 2004 now won't launch after Mac OS updates

Last night I installed Security Update 2007-006 (v1.0) and Mas OS X
Update (intel) (v 10.4.10) on my MacBook Pro (2 GHz Intel Core duo).
Now, I cannot launch any Office 2004 applications and cannot open any
of my files.  Any advice?
Thanks, Mark

On 6/27/07 1:02 PM, in article
1182974541.212063.281740@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com,
"breadhead420@gmail.com" <breadhead420@gmail.com> wrote:

> Last night I installed Security Update 2007-006 (v1.0) and Mas OS X
> Update (intel) (v 10.4.10) on my MacBook Pro (2 GHz Intel Core duo).
> Now, I cannot launch any Office 2004 applications and cannot open any
> of my files.  Any advice?

You can try running the Apple Combo updater, but you might have to do an
Archive & Install.

You might need to download the combo updater from Apple and run it again
rather than using Software Update. Doing so overwrites potentially
problem-causing files. Several users have reported this fixed some odd
problems they were having with Entourage. Combo updaters will install on the
same version as they�re applying�no need to roll back or do a clean install.

Mac OS X 10.4.10 Combo Update (PPC)
<http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosx_updates/macosx10410combo
updateppc.html>

Mac OS X 10.4.10 Combo Update (Intel)

<http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/macosx_updates/macosx10410combo
updateintel.html>

More info on why applying the combo updater helps:

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/troubleshoot/combo.html>
--
Diane Ross, Microsoft Mac MVP
Entourage Help Page

0
diane7495 (1195)
6/27/2007 9:37:05 PM
Adding to what Diane offered - since you don't mention having done so - the
*first* addition I would offer is to run Disk Utility - Repair Disk
Permissions. It may not remedy the situation but it can't hurt.

For future reference, it's recommended that this utility be run both
*before* as well as *after* any OS X updates.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 6/27/07 4:02 PM, in article
1182974541.212063.281740@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com,
"breadhead420@gmail.com" <breadhead420@gmail.com> wrote:

> Last night I installed Security Update 2007-006 (v1.0) and Mas OS X
> Update (intel) (v 10.4.10) on my MacBook Pro (2 GHz Intel Core duo).
> Now, I cannot launch any Office 2004 applications and cannot open any
> of my files.  Any advice?
> Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark:

I think first update contained an update to MS XHTML.  Make sure that one
installed correctly -- if it didn't, that's your problem :-)

It went in fine here -- but you DIDN'T want to hear that, right?  :-)

Cheers

On 28/6/07 6:02 AM, in article
1182974541.212063.281740@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com,
"breadhead420@gmail.com" <breadhead420@gmail.com> wrote:

> Last night I installed Security Update 2007-006 (v1.0) and Mas OS X
> Update (intel) (v 10.4.10) on my MacBook Pro (2 GHz Intel Core duo).
> Now, I cannot launch any Office 2004 applications and cannot open any
> of my files.  Any advice?
> Thanks, Mark

John McGhie, Consultant Technical Writer
McGhie Information Engineering Pty Ltd
http://jgmcghie.fastmail.com.au/
Sydney, Australia.  S33�53'34.20 E151�14'54.50
+61 4 1209 1410, mailto:john@mcghie.name

0
john7143 (1073)
6/28/2007 2:25:46 AM
Repair Disk Permissions did the trick.  Thanks for your help.

On Jun 27, 5:40 pm, CyberTaz <onlygeneralt...@com.cast.net> wrote:
> Adding to what Diane offered - since you don't mention having done so - the
> *first* addition I would offer is to run Disk Utility - Repair Disk
> Permissions. It may not remedy the situation but it can't hurt.
>
> For future reference, it's recommended that this utility be run both
> *before* as well as *after* any OS X updates.
>
> Regards |:>)
> Bob Jones
> [MVP] Office:Mac
>
> On 6/27/07 4:02 PM, in article
> 1182974541.212063.281...@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com,
>
> "breadhead...@gmail.com" <breadhead...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Last night I installed Security Update 2007-006 (v1.0) and Mas OS X
> > Update (intel) (v 10.4.10) on my MacBook Pro (2 GHz Intel Core duo).
> > Now, I cannot launch any Office 2004 applications and cannot open any
> > of my files.  Any advice?
> > Thanks, Mark

I just encountered the same problem and repairing disk permissions did
not work. I have all the same specs as Mark, who also had problems.
Is the ARchive and Install my only option? That makes me nervous. . .

Thanks,

Deena

n Jul 1, 12:59 pm, breadhead...@gmail.com wrote:
> Repair Disk Permissions did the trick.  Thanks for your help.
>
> On Jun 27, 5:40 pm, CyberTaz <onlygeneralt...@com.cast.net> wrote:
>
> > Adding to what Diane offered - since you don't mention having done so - the
> > *first* addition I would offer is to run Disk Utility - Repair Disk
> > Permissions. It may not remedy the situation but it can't hurt.
>
> > For future reference, it's recommended that this utility be run both
> > *before* as well as *after* any OS X updates.

> > Regards |:>)
> > Bob Jones
> > [MVP] Office:Mac
>
> > On 6/27/07 4:02 PM, in article
> > 1182974541.212063.281...@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com,
>
> > "breadhead...@gmail.com" <breadhead...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Last night I installed Security Update 2007-006 (v1.0) and Mas OS X
> > > Update (intel) (v 10.4.10) on my MacBook Pro (2 GHz Intel Core duo).
> > > Now, I cannot launch any Office 2004 applications and cannot open any
> > > of my files.  Any advice?
> > > Thanks, Mark

0
dkalai (3)
7/2/2007 8:00:03 PM
The first thing I'd try is: Go to the Apple site & download the appropriate
(PPC/Intel) 10.4.10 COMBO update & apply that, then repair permissions & see
if that sets things right. You might also poke around Apple Discussions &
see if there are any other suggestions there, but I'm afraid A&I is about
the only other option I know of if you don't have a backup to recover from.

If you need to go to the mat, post back for some suggestions folks may have
to make sure it goes as smoothly as possible.... But I'd suggest you post as
a new topic so it doesn't get lost in this old thread.
--
HTH |:>)
Bob Jones

<dkalai@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I just encountered the same problem and repairing disk permissions did
> not work. I have all the same specs as Mark, who also had problems.
> Is the ARchive and Install my only option? That makes me nervous. . .
>
> Thanks,
>
> Deena
>
> n Jul 1, 12:59 pm, breadhead...@gmail.com wrote:
>> Repair Disk Permissions did the trick.  Thanks for your help.
>>
>> On Jun 27, 5:40 pm, CyberTaz <onlygeneralt...@com.cast.net> wrote:
>>
>> > Adding to what Diane offered - since you don't mention having done so -
>> > the
>> > *first* addition I would offer is to run Disk Utility - Repair Disk
>> > Permissions. It may not remedy the situation but it can't hurt.
>>
>> > For future reference, it's recommended that this utility be run both
>> > *before* as well as *after* any OS X updates.
>

>> > Regards |:>)
>> > Bob Jones
>> > [MVP] Office:Mac
>>
>> > On 6/27/07 4:02 PM, in article
>> > 1182974541.212063.281...@k79g2000hse.googlegroups.com,

0
CyberTaz
7/2/2007 10:01:22 PM
On 7/2/07 1:00 PM, in article
1183406403.178377.120370@57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com, "dkalai@gmail.com"
<dkalai@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just encountered the same problem and repairing disk permissions did
> not work. I have all the same specs as Mark, who also had problems.
> Is the ARchive and Install my only option? That makes me nervous. . .

An �Archive & Install� isn�t bad. If you select to "Preserve User and
Network Settings", it�s pretty painless.

As Bob suggested, try the combo updater first.

--
Diane Ross, Microsoft Mac MVP
Entourage Help Page
<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/>
One of the top five MS Entourage resources listed on the Entourage Blog.
<http://blogs.msdn.com/entourage/>

0
diane7495 (1195)

Changing template that opens on program launch
While working in a drawing in Visio 2007, I had an unexpected system error close the program. The drawing was recovered, but it was also automatically saved as the default template. Now that draing opens as Dawing1 everytime I launch Visio. Can someone please tell me how to change the default template that opens on program launch? ------=_NextPart_0001_1933829B Content-Type: text/plain Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit It sounds like Visio is trying to 'recover' the crashed session for you. Try this - Close Visio, and look in your user profile (%userprofile%\Local Settings\Appli...

Money 2004 and Epay
Hello, I am using the free MSN Billpay that came with my Money 2004 Deluxe. Today is Saturday, Nov. 22, 2003. I would like to pay my insurance bill which is due on Dec. 2nd. When I try to pay the bill today through Money, I get a message that says that the earliest it can be paid is 12/01/2003. Is that the date the payment should arrive or the date it will be processed? I'm a little confused. Thanks, ....Will ...

Looking up your previous questions
I am really in need of looking up a past question I asked here, but cannot find it through the search function. Is there a way to retrieve the messages that you've posted here? Thanks in advance! I use google to search groups. http://groups.google.com/advanced_search?&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.excel.* Give it enough information (you as the author, maybe a keyword or date) and you'll find it. Jon in the U&L wrote: > > I am really in need of looking up a past question I asked here, but cannot > find it through the search function. Is there a way t...

Need to re-download full office 2003
My laptop recently died a horrible death, so I bought a new one. The old one had a valid license for Office 2003, which I want to continue using. There used to be a link on the MS site to download (which then required a valid key, which I have). But since release of Office 2007, I can't find a legitimate place to re-download. Is there one? -- Harris S. Freeman Alliance Strategies and Programs www.hfreeman.com "Hfreeman" <Hfreeman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F4D2CE76-5AD0-4DBC-A2DE-D2A91E2D02D7@microsoft.com... > My ...

Function for add different values
I need one function that adds values that are not equal. Like this: 3 3 3 4 4 5 5 I need a formula that will go to add value 3+4+5. Only different numbers between itself. Which are my options? Please refrain from multiposting, you got at least one answer already in the worksheet functions ng -- Regards, Peo Sjoblom http://nwexcelsolutions.com <douglasracaixeta@gmail.com> wrote in message news:1146597978.225731.85640@i40g2000cwc.googlegroups.com... >I need one function that adds values that are not equal. > > Like this: > 3 > 3 > 3 > 4 > 4 > 5 >...

Vendor ID from Previous transaction
When entering transacitons in payables it would be nice to have the Vendor ID to populate from previous transactions until the user changes it. This could be as a setup option. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsoft.com/Businesssolutions...

OnPrint Function Error
Please forgive the repost of the same topic, but I really need to get a table of content report and keep getting error msg "Type Mismatch" for the OnPrint function. I have followed the instruction from the Ms Article for creating a table of contents in both the Northwind db and my db. It works perfectly in Northwind, but my report gives the error. My grouping header is PartNumber - it is a text field containg both numbers and text. I've checked the "description" field in the toc table and it is text set to the same number of characters as partnumber. I'v...

Office versions
Hi there, Could anyone give me the difference between Office X for Mac and Office 2004 for Mac, teacher and student editions? I have the Office X version. Thanks. Doug Hi Doug - The list would be far too long to post here, but the 2 main distinctions - at least to my feeble mind - are: 1- Office 2004 is far more stable & reliable, and 2- Office X is no longer as current (supported) version. You might want to take a look at the Mactopia web site for what Office 2004 has to offer & compare to what you now have. The demo highlights many of the differences & you can still downloa...

Office Home & Student 2007
I have Office H &S 2007 installed on 2 of 3 computers. I am allowed 3, I know. I am going to buy/purchase a new computer and do not wish to use the last activation. I wish to activate by phone after loading the program. (Also, I may buy/purchase another computer in the future and this would mandate an activation by phone.) Can/will someone tell me there's 'no-problem' and how to do this? Like, how do I contact Microsoft? Thanks. __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4626 (20091120) __________ The mes...

Linking cells to Pivot Tables in Office XP "Get Pivot" frustrations
I was recently upgraded to Office XP at work. I've encountered one frustrating new feature. I can no longer link a cell to a pivot table cell and copy this linked cell across the row. For example, in the linked cell formula,instead of the linked cell referring to the pivot table cell as "C11" it refers to it as "GETPIVOTDATA("PMPM",$I$18,"Rpt_Date",DATE(2003,11,1),"renew_current",DATE(2004,1,1))". This may return the correct value for this intial cell but if I try to copy this link to the next cell over (across the row), I get the same val...

Same workbook links will not update automatically
Is there a reason why links within the same workbook will not update automatically especially when excel is set to update links automatically? A linked cell will update once double clicked!!! Thank you in advance. ...

How do I stop WLM from launching and relaunching?
I've told WLM that I don't want it to open automatically when Windows starts. And yet, the little guy is just determined to launch itself. How do I stop if from popping up on the task bar and relaunching? Thanks. mlklein1, Try running MSCONFIG.EXE. You didn't specify your operating system so try: Hold down the WIN key (that's the one with microsoft flag on it) and tap the R key. You will get the RUN dialog. Enter MSCONFIG.EXE in the "Open" box. and hit the OK button. Choose the "Startup" tab You will see an entry for "Windows ...

Trending Function?
I'm trying to have a six month forcast of storage used on a server. I have range D3:O3 as storage values assigned for 12 months I have range D2:O2 as the date each of the storage values were pulled. I would like to have a formula in cells p3,q3,r3,s3,t3,u3 that will give me a forcast for 1 month out, 2 months etc. Would I use the Trend formula for that? Thanks, Kevin Green Kevin wrote: > I'm trying to have a six month forcast of storage used on a server. > > I have range D3:O3 as storage values assigned for 12 months > I have range D2:O2 as the date e...

Log on screen not functioning. Need help
Hi! I have a liitle problem with my log on screen. In control panel I went to User Accounts and changed a name from "owner" to "joca" and now there is no picture and name on my log on screen. I can not log on to windows. What to do to solve this problem? Marko wrote: > Hi! I have a liitle problem with my log on screen. In control panel I went to > User Accounts and changed a name from "owner" to "joca" and now there is no > picture and name on my log on screen. I can not log on to windows. What to do > to solve this problem? ...

Excel 2004 Mac question
I am assisting a customer running Excel 2004 on a Mac OS X system. He claims that in Office X he was able to change the sheet tab color on Excel sheets, but now he is unable to do so with Excel 2004. Can sheet tab or the active/background tab colors be changed? The tab colors are so close in color shade I think he is having issues seeing which sheet he is on even though I'm having no problem distinguishing them. Any suggestions? TIA George Well, he's remembering incorrectly - no MacXL version allows coloring the worksheet tabs. If he's really having problems distinguishing ...

Calender function
I want to be able to insert a drop down function in a cell in Excel that when I click on the drop down arrow, I get a monthly calender to pick dates from instead of typing them in. This feature exists in MS Project. Maybe you like this http://www.rondebruin.nl/calendar.htm -- Regards Ron de Bruin (Win XP Pro SP-1 XL2002 SP-2) www.rondebruin.nl "John Welcher" <john.welcher@owenscorning.com> wrote in message news:057201c3a252$339c5fd0$a401280a@phx.gbl... > I want to be able to insert a drop down function in a cell > in Excel that when I click on the drop down ar...

problem opening a XP Office 2002 work book with Office 2003
I keep getting an error and recovery option, when I try to open a specific workbook. When I recover it, most has been lost? Is there a problem with 2003 working with 2002? The worksheets have formula and links - all in the same workbook. Any thought? I can open most others and the reason I am thinking - there must be a syntax problem within 2003. Hi normally you should get no problems in respect to both Excel versions. Maybe the file is somehow corrupt. Try - using the repair function of Excel - try to copy the data to a new, fresh workbook -- Regards Frank Kabel Frankfurt, Germany &q...

If function #9
In cells in Column A, I have a dropdown box listing 'yes' and 'no' for users to choose from. In Column B and C are two values In column D, I would like the total of Cells B & C (ie =B1+C1) only if 'no' is selected from column A. If 'yes' is selected, I would like B and C added together and then minus 30. All cells are formated to time (hh:mm) and so it would be half an hour I would like minused if 'yes' is selected. Any ideas? Thanks Problem solved thanx "Neil Greenough" <scrivomc@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:mBBgf...

Uninstall Office
Question: How can I uninstall MS Office Enterprise on a desktop I will be getting rid of so I can re-install it on the new computer I plan on buying? Background: I have MS Office Enterprise 2007 on currently installed on four machines but had to re-install it on two of those machines for a total of 6 installs. On the six install I had problems activating because it had gone over the 5 license limit and had to contact MS to get a non-commercial product key. "ChrisK" <ChrisK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D7E28C69-EB72-409E-AAB5-E1AD1BEAD5D1...

Problems with EXCHANGE e-mail account under Enourage Office 2004
> This message is in MIME format. Since your mail reader does not understand this format, some or all of this message may not be legible. --B_3167895906_820396 Content-type: text/plain; charset="US-ASCII" Content-transfer-encoding: 7bit I use my exchange e-mail account under Entourage Office Mac X with no problem. But with Office Mac 2004 I try to setup the same e-mail account with exactly the same settings and it does not work. NEED HELP with setup an exchange e-mail under Entourage Office 2004. ANY IDEAS? Michael Schnabel --B_3167895906_820396 Content-type: text/html; char...

Select Previously Selected worksheet (and/or select previously selected workbook)
Is anyone aware of VBA code that would allow me to auto-select the previously active worksheet (within a particular workbook....or within another open workbook)? In essence, I am trying to build a routine that will allow me to automatically do a vlookup between two data lists in two sheets with a single step, rather than go through the process of specifying the particular columns Thanks for any suggestions. ...

Calendar update across VPN
Is it possible to update a calendar across a VPN connection. I tried using a personal file folder, but outlook does not show the sharedoc folder to import/export from and would need to be done manually. Also, this method would not allow deletions, only changes. This is needed for a service dept to schedule inspections for a tech at a seperate physical location. And, finally, how do you set up 2 seperate calendars. Richard wrote: > Is it possible to update a calendar across a VPN connection. I tried > using a personal file folder, but outlook does not show the sharedoc > folder ...

Array Functions
The freely downloadable file at http://home.pacbell.net/beban was updated today to eliminate a bug in the ArrayRowFilter functions. Alan Beban ...

Failure of installation Windows update XP
I don't understand why I can't install : - Microsoft office XP (KB977896) - Pack compatibility Microsoft office Service Pack 2 (SP2) - Update Microsoft Silverlight (KB979202) Message : failure of installation But they don't explain why and how I can install them ? See the "How to obtain help" section of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977896 For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY (and/or 1-866-234-6020 and/or 1-800-936-5700) in the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. There is no...

Out Of Office Assistant
I'm running 5.5.. I have one question.. When some one out of offlice.. They used like Tool, and out of office Assistant. out of office Assistant work fine in internal. but not external..In Exchange Administrator i have to turn on the option to send those external. i was wondering if anyone had any ideas? how? Thanks! I believe that option is set on the IMS. There are 2 KB articles that talk more about how to make these changes: 181636 XFOR: Rule For Forwarding To Internet Address Does Not Work http://support.microsoft.com/?id=181636 You should see the option to enable Out of Offi...