Office X apps open VERY slowly, but run fine.

I am an Office v.X (10.1.6) for Mac (12" G4 laptop; OS X; 10.3.9) user
(posting for first time).  I experienced recent application crash
(Entourage and other apps open at the time) after which I experienced
new onset problem of all Office apps opening VERY slowly (e.g, 3-5
minutes during which spinning color wheel appears and can hear hard
drive being accessed at an intermittent regular rate; ~ 1 Hz).

Once open, all apps run without difficulty or speed decrement.  With
Entourage, the delay occurs after splash screen opens; with all others,
the delay is after file opens on screen (but the file/document not
accessible until color wheel disappears and cursor appears).

Have attempted a variety of interventions to date, all wiithout effect,
including:

1.  Run Disk Repair / Verified-Repaired Disk Permissions
2.  Rebuilt Entourage v.X database file (first typical, then advanced)
3.  Manually uninstalled / reinstalled Office X (twice)
4.  Uninstalled / reintalled Office X using Value Pack app
5.  Trashed Carbon Registration Database
6.  Verified that hard drive is not malfunctioning (using Apple apps,
but not Codewarrior or other apps).
7.  Consulted my local university IT helpdesk, who had no further
suggestions.

The problem is isolated to Office apps (i.e., all other apps open
promptly).  One minor issue of unclear relationship is that some Excel
files (typically new enclosures I receive), even with a .xls extension,
now may appear on desktop with different program icon (e.g., SPSS,
instead of Excel).

Would appreciate any ideas for further interventions / diagnostics I
might try before paying for Microsoft Customer Support.

Thanks.

Bob Malison

I'm having the same problem on a computer running system 10.4.2. I
thought it might have been because of that, but I guess not. It is
rather maddening. I'd be very interested in any solutions anyone find.

rtm wrote:
> I am an Office v.X (10.1.6) for Mac (12" G4 laptop; OS X; 10.3.9) user
> (posting for first time).  I experienced recent application crash
> (Entourage and other apps open at the time) after which I experienced
> new onset problem of all Office apps opening VERY slowly (e.g, 3-5
> minutes during which spinning color wheel appears and can hear hard
> drive being accessed at an intermittent regular rate; ~ 1 Hz).
>
> Once open, all apps run without difficulty or speed decrement.  With
> Entourage, the delay occurs after splash screen opens; with all others,
> the delay is after file opens on screen (but the file/document not
> accessible until color wheel disappears and cursor appears).
>
> Have attempted a variety of interventions to date, all wiithout effect,
> including:
>
> 1.  Run Disk Repair / Verified-Repaired Disk Permissions
> 2.  Rebuilt Entourage v.X database file (first typical, then advanced)
> 3.  Manually uninstalled / reinstalled Office X (twice)
> 4.  Uninstalled / reintalled Office X using Value Pack app
> 5.  Trashed Carbon Registration Database
> 6.  Verified that hard drive is not malfunctioning (using Apple apps,
> but not Codewarrior or other apps).
> 7.  Consulted my local university IT helpdesk, who had no further
> suggestions.
>
> The problem is isolated to Office apps (i.e., all other apps open
> promptly).  One minor issue of unclear relationship is that some Excel
> files (typically new enclosures I receive), even with a .xls extension,
> now may appear on desktop with different program icon (e.g., SPSS,
> instead of Excel).
>
> Would appreciate any ideas for further interventions / diagnostics I
> might try before paying for Microsoft Customer Support.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bob Malison

0
srogers6 (1)
8/3/2005 3:27:43 PM
in article 1121788070.961086.22880@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com, rtm at
robert.malison@yale.edu wrote on 20/7/05 1:47 AM:

> I am an Office v.X (10.1.6) for Mac (12" G4 laptop; OS X; 10.3.9) user
> (posting for first time).  I experienced recent application crash
> (Entourage and other apps open at the time) after which I experienced
> new onset problem of all Office apps opening VERY slowly (e.g, 3-5
> minutes during which spinning color wheel appears and can hear hard
> drive being accessed at an intermittent regular rate; ~ 1 Hz).
>
> Once open, all apps run without difficulty or speed decrement.  With
> Entourage, the delay occurs after splash screen opens; with all others,
> the delay is after file opens on screen (but the file/document not
> accessible until color wheel disappears and cursor appears).
>
> Have attempted a variety of interventions to date, all wiithout effect,
> including:
>
> 1.  Run Disk Repair / Verified-Repaired Disk Permissions
> 2.  Rebuilt Entourage v.X database file (first typical, then advanced)
> 3.  Manually uninstalled / reinstalled Office X (twice)
> 4.  Uninstalled / reintalled Office X using Value Pack app
> 5.  Trashed Carbon Registration Database
> 6.  Verified that hard drive is not malfunctioning (using Apple apps,
> but not Codewarrior or other apps).
> 7.  Consulted my local university IT helpdesk, who had no further
> suggestions.
>
> The problem is isolated to Office apps (i.e., all other apps open
> promptly).  One minor issue of unclear relationship is that some Excel
> files (typically new enclosures I receive), even with a .xls extension,
> now may appear on desktop with different program icon (e.g., SPSS,
> instead of Excel).
>
> Would appreciate any ideas for further interventions / diagnostics I
> might try before paying for Microsoft Customer Support.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Bob Malison

Since no one has offered a solution let me have a go.  I suspect its a bad
plist file or that it is looking for some resource or server on the network
and cant find it.  If you create another user does the same thing happen?
If you run activity monitor or type "top" in terminal what processes are
taking all the time.  Also what machine and how much memory? A start anyway

Nig

0
noone1 (387)
8/22/2005 5:08:20 AM
Nigel,

Thanks for your kind offer to help.  I tried both of your suggestions.

1) The delayed in start-up persisted under a new user.

2)  Not expert at terminal, but following your recommendation at typing
top, main activity (%CPU) appeared to be Microsoft, top, WindowServ,
kernel_tas.  Fairly consistent whether opening Entourage, Windows or
Excel.  Here's a copy of list after I opened 3 Office applications,
Acrobat and Internet Explorer (I apologize if this gibberish once
e-mailed, but on the chance the data is helpful to you).

[editted by sender for newsgroup]

Thanks.

-Bob

Running diskpar.exe on SAN drives
I nkow that best practices states that using diskpar.exe (not diskpart) with an offset of 128 (or 64) is best for Exchange servers. I'm confused how I run this against a set of SAN drives, however. Our SAN causes us to see drives in 8 gig "chunks". We have to grab as many of these as necessary to build our drives, such as our logs and data drives. On one server I need to grab disk 1 through 4 for a logs volume. I can run diskpar against each 8 gig drive, but that is contrary to what I need accomplished. I don't see how one can select multiple drives. I don't think...

Run GP 10.0 and GP 9.0 on Workstations?
We're investigating our options for upgrading to Dynamics GP 10.0 from 9.0. Is it possible to install GP 10.0 on all the workstations that are running GP 9.0 without uninstalling GP 9.0? Basically, we would like the option of running both client versions (pointing to different servers/DSNs). Any help that you can provide is greatly appreciated. G There should be no problem installing GP 9.0 and 10.0 on the same computer. We do this all the time. Just curious, why not upgrade to GP 2010 at this point? It's been out since May and seems pretty stable by all a...

how can I open a file with a .pub extension (w/o Publisher)?

opening files on network problem
i am running excel 2002 on windows xp pro and my server is 2000. when ever i open an excel file up on the xp machine, it opens two instances on the server. then if i close the files and go to reopen it says the file is already open as it only closes 1 instance on the server. this is only happening with excel and not with word or access docs. any ideas ???? ...

for rent office tower in bosphorus,besiktas,istanbul Turkey
Business Towers located in Besiktas ,istanbul one of the commercial and residential town in Europe side of the city . Fan-coil system Settling area net 653sqm.total 21 floors,13.713 sq.mt 2 regular floors,1 tecnical floors ,4 garage floors(total 150 car park ) per flat 653sq.mt Price: sqm/20USD + TAX per mounth A striking modern building, with panoramic views over the Bosphorus, located in the heart of banking and business district. Plaza offers a prime business address in a very strategic location. Close to Turkey's Stock Exchange and within 15 minutes to t...

I need the "Program Action" used to open EML files in OE...
The new SpamKiller doesn't work quite right many times and it saves "Blocked" EML files on my hard drive but doesn't always "Rescue" them properly. So, when I click on the EML file it opens in Outlook Express. To fix that I changed the "Application used to perform action" under Explorer | Tools | File Types | EML to point to Outlook instead of Outlook Express. Of course, I found out that doesn't work. So I changed it back to what I thought it was but apparently I was wrong and now clicking on an EML file opens Outlook Express but doesn't open th...

Bring an app window to the front
In my app, I have the HWND of another application (that is not written by us). From my app I want to bring this other app to the front but NOT in front of any system model dialogs that may be knocking about i.e. if this other app's window is obscured by other applications I want to bring it to be made visible., Is this impossible ? My window must always be in front of this other app, thats why I made my app system modal. If I SetWindowPos( hwndOtherApp, MyWindow, ..... ) then this initially achieves my goal, but now the other app automatically becomes system modal and so can app...

Deleting an outbox email without opening Outlook.
Hi, I'm using Outlook 2002. There is an email that seems to be stuck in my outbox and has been sent 54 times to the recipient! If I try to delete the email from the outbox I get an error message saying that it is unable to delete and please restart outlook to rectify the problem. This doesn't help at all. Once Outlook is restarted the sending process will start all over again. Is there a way that I can delete the email without opening Outlook so that when I start the program next time there is nothing in the outbox. Thanks in advance for any help. Regards, Sonars UK. ...

Multiple Versions of Office Apps
Version: v.X Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger) Processor: Power PC I have not upgraded to Office 2008 because the budgeting programs I use in Excel require macros. I do, however, want to upgrade Entourage for better Exchange compatibility. If I install Office 2008, can I still keep my Office X version of Excel on the same system (PowerBook G4)? Will there be conflicts? Thanks, -Jd On 3/25/08 9:04 AM, in article ee95f9d.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw, "jdbrewer@officeformac.com" <jdbrewer@officeformac.com> wrote: > Version: v.X > Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tig...

how do i put a password on an office document?
i used to go to save as & then in options/security I could put a password - its now not there (publisher 2003). please help You have Publisher confused with Word... -- Mary Sauer MSFT MVP http://office.microsoft.com/ http://msauer.mvps.org/ news://msnews.microsoft.com "justicerulesok" <justicerulesok@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:2B9DEF7C-C057-4E80-B7F9-B9BB39A8241B@microsoft.com... >i used to go to save as & then in options/security I could put a password - > its now not there (publisher 2003). please help ...

revert from outlook 2007 to office XP
new pc so loaded a trial version of outlook 2007, but don't want to upgrade and want to stick with office outlook XP. i think i made an error by not loading outlook XP first on this computer, and wonder how to revert without losing content/data that's now part of outlook 2007. do i delete 2007 then load XP? thanks all. "loki" <craigmclaughlan_remove@terra.es> wrote in message news:OwdF$TbNIHA.6108@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl... > new pc so loaded a trial version of outlook 2007, but don't want to > upgrade and want to stick with office outlook XP. > >...

Office VX and Mac OS9.2
It's a silly question, but i think OfficeX isn't compatible with OS9.2: can someone confirm this think? Thanks a lot Denis Chenu Service informatique / Informatic service's SAD-Marketing D.Chenu@sad-Marketing.com 03.20.81.58.20 ------------------------------- You're correct. Mac OS X is an entirely different OS and takes entirely different software from OS 9.x and below (OS 9.x is � equivalent to the Classic system within OS X). Office 2001 is the last OS 9.x compatible version--Office X and the forthcoming Office 2004 are written for OS X. Dayo "D.Chenu" wrot...

reinstalling office 2008 to see if it resolves the problem of slowing all my apps
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Power PC I have installed office 2008 then gradually all my apps started slowing way down. I have worked with Apple service on all sorts of library repairs, cache removal and confirming all upgrades of OSX, but nothing helps. I want to reinstall my office 2008 and I have the original product key, but installed it originally with just a download, so I have no disk etc. So, how do I reinstall without the disk? ...

Textbox on chart doesn't print in Office 2003, but does in 2007
I have some charts that I create through C# code on a "template" worksheet and then copy it over to a new worksheet using the following code. When looking at the chart.Shapes, I can see the three Textbox objects that I want and these are the only shapes available. I can see them on the screen in both Excel 2003 and 2007 correctly. When I print in 2003 though, the textboxes don't appear like they do for 2007. Can anyone shed some light on why this might be happening? // Copy the images and charts (note index starts at 1) for (int z = 1; z <= wsTemplate.Shapes.Count; ...

New Tabs open Randomly
I am running XP Home (SP3) In the last few days I have had new tabs open randomly under my open tab. Can anyone tell me why this is happening and how to prevent it? Thank you. ...

tip: Open XML Dataset in append mode
See code below It writes only changes, by appending new records at the end of the file. public static void Main() { Dataset1 d = new Dataset1(); Stream str = new FileStream(@"c:\somedata.xml", FileMode.OpenOrCreate, FileAccess.ReadWrite, FileShare.None); if (str.Length > 0) d.ReadXml(str); Dataset1.somedataRow dr = d.somedata.NewsomedataRow(); dr.Data = "blah " + Environment.TickCount.ToString(); d.somedata.AddsomedataRow(dr); str.Position=0; d.GetChanges().WriteXml(str); str.Close(); } ...

I need a shortcut to make a excel file open to a specific sheet
I need to know how to modify an excel shortcut to make a file always open to a specific named "intro" sheet. You can use a macro: http://vbaexpress.com/kb/getarticle.php?kb_id=338 ************ Anne Troy VBA Project Manager www.OfficeArticles.com "EAHRENS" <EAHRENS@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:4CEF8135-5F57-400F-B5AF-9A11396110A8@microsoft.com... >I need to know how to modify an excel shortcut to make a file always open >to > a specific named "intro" sheet. Try doing it within the files workbook_open event in the ThisWork...

i couldn't open my excel files,it gives location couldn't find err
Hi, i am trying to open my excel files but it gives me the following error: "If you are trying to open the file from your list of most recently used files on the file menu,make sure that the file has not been renamed,moved of deleted." But if i renamed the same file to some other name then it works.so please tell me how can i fix this problem. Thanks & Regards, Hozefa How are you trying to open the file? Are you double clicking on it in windows explorer? Or are you using File|Open and choosing the file? Or are you using File, then clicking on one of the files at ...

Application.run
Newbie question: I am trying to call a module within the current workbook but the following code is incorrect. I need to use activeworkbook.name becuase the file can be saved as a differenct filename and I don't want the macro to not run because the filename can't be found. I am guessing I am missing parenthesis or quotes somewhere. Application.Run ActiveWorkbook.Name!CopyFromRow Thanks in advance for the help. -- Message posted via http://www.officekb.com If your macro name is Joe then just use call joe or just joe -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software donaldb@281.com &qu...

Closing an open year
Our fiscal years are July thru June. I opened the years 2007, 2008, & 2009 We started a new company on July 1 2007 and I closed the 2008 year. I failed to close the 2007 year before I closed the 2008 year. Is there any issues with closing the 2007 year now? Merle, 1. Which module(s) did you close (Financial, PM/RM)? 2. When you go to Routines > Financial > Year End Closing, what date is displayed under Last Closing Date? 3. When you go to Setup > Company > Fiscal Periods, what year is set to default? 4. Did you backup your data before closing out the year? "...

Can you display Recently Opened documents at the bottom of the File menu?

Running an Excel macro from Access problem
Hi I'm trying to run the following code in an Access function in order to run an Excel macro. The problem I have is that I wish to close the excel workbook but with changes saved. If I add in the line 'objExcel.Save' before the close command it throws errors saving do you want to replace 'resume.xla'. 'objExcel.Workbooks.Save' doesn't seem to work either. How can I get the workbook to close with changes saved? Set objExcel = CreateObject("Excel.Application") objExcel.Workbooks.Open ("C:\[file path and name here].xls") objExcel.Vis...

All Excel instances inaccessible due to long running macro #2
I have a worksheet that contains a VBA that run a very long time (hours). This keeps me from accessing unrelated worksheets as it seems like Excel (even another instance) is tied up handling the first one. Is there anyway to prevent this? ...

OWA Hotfix for XP Office 2003
I need the OWA hotix for Exchange 5.5. OWA keeps hanging after 2003 Outlook clients connect. "Pedro" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:bbf001c48939$9b02ce10$a601280a@phx.gbl... >I need the OWA hotix for Exchange 5.5. OWA keeps hanging > after 2003 Outlook clients connect. You can get it here: http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=B106C749-71F8-44CC-86CF-AB5CDA169127 Lee. -- _______________________________________ Outlook Web Access For PDA , OWA For WAP: www.leederbyshire.com email a@t leederbyshire d.0.t c.0.m _____...

Can 2 pages of Microsoft office publisher be sent as an email mess
I have produced a 2 page newsletter, but when I email it as a message only the page that I'm viewing arrives. If I'm viewing page 1, it goes but not page 2. If I'm on page 2 it will be sent but not page 1. I would like my clients to get both pages as a message that they can read by scrolling down without having to open an attachment or receive 2 emails. Robert Send your recipients a PDF attachment, much safer and it will arrive just as you composed the newsletter. If you have 2007 Microsoft has a free save as PDF add-in https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?Family...