Office 2007 viewers for Mac - anyone know when they will be available?

I am increasingly getting docx, xlsx and pptx files from colleagues but
can't of course read them on the Mac.  I read in the interview with the head
of the MacBU @ Microsoft that viewers were coming but I haven't found
anything since.

Does anyone know any more?

0
agh (4)

I believe most everyone expected to se the converters by now, but I'm afraid
you know as much as any of us. The Mactopia site is the place to check
periodically - I'm certain they will be posted for d/l there as soon as they
are available.

In the meantime the only option is to have the user re-send in 97-2003
format - which I realize is a royal PITA :(

--
Regards |:>)
Bob Jones

"Alan Hamilton" <agh@sysnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>I am increasingly getting docx, xlsx and pptx files from colleagues but
> can't of course read them on the Mac.  I read in the interview with the
> head
> of the MacBU @ Microsoft that viewers were coming but I haven't found
> anything since.
>
> Does anyone know any more?

0
CyberTaz
4/23/2007 9:34:13 PM
CyberTaz wrote:

> In the meantime the only option is to have the user re-send in 97-2003
> format - which I realize is a royal PITA :(

Well--there are supposedly some widgets and such that will convert the
format (try Google, I downloaded something called docx-converter that I
haven't installed yet), and NeoOffice 2 also opens the format,
apparently.  For complex documents, you may lose some formatting--the MS
converters are supposed to handle just about every possible case
(presumably what's taking so long), and the existing tools out there
don't promise that.  But they may handle the basics enough to save you a
few requests for resending.

Somewhere I also thought there was a website that would let you upload
and give you back a converted doc.

IIRC, the date promised was Spring 2007 (US Spring--so maybe second
quarter?), which is very fuzzy and not yet over. :)
0
daiyaNOSPAM (1173)
4/23/2007 10:09:11 PM
In article <OCS6FQfhHHA.4516@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>,
 Daiya Mitchell <daiyaNOSPAM@mvps.org.INVALID> wrote:

> CyberTaz wrote:
> >
> > In the meantime the only option is to have the user re-send in 97-2003
> > format - which I realize is a royal PITA :(
> >

> IIRC, the date promised was Spring 2007 (US Spring--so maybe second
> quarter?), which is very fuzzy and not yet over. :)

And let's not forget that these will be betas! They may be buggy or not
meet initial user expectations altogether. If they work then great! But
keep in mind that they may not work properly right away.

bill
--
William M. Smith
(Microsoft Interop MVP - Mac/Windows)
 "CyberTaz" <typegeneraltaz1ATcomcastdotnet> wrote:

> In the meantime the only option is to have the user re-send in 97-2003
> format - which I realize is a royal PITA :(

NeoOffice 2.1 will open and save Word 2007 format docs, according to its
web site (haven't tried, myself).

    http://www.neooffice.org/
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
4/24/2007 5:11:53 AM
On Apr 24, 4:09 am, William Smith <meckli...@REM0VETH1S.comcast.net>
wrote:
> In article <OCS6FQfhHHA.4...@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>,
>  Daiya Mitchell <daiyaNOS...@mvps.org.INVALID> wrote:
>
> > CyberTaz wrote:
>
> > > In the meantime the only option is to have the user re-send in 97-2003
> > > format - which I realize is a royal PITA :(
>
> > IIRC, the date promised was Spring 2007 (US Spring--so maybe second
> > quarter?), which is very fuzzy and not yet over. :)
>
> And let's not forget that these will be betas! They may be buggy or not
> meet initial user expectations altogether. If they work then great! But
> keep in mind that they may not work properly right away.
>
> bill
> --
> William M. Smith
> (Microsoft Interop MVP - Mac/Windows)

You could also try http://www.docx2doc.com/ . Online conversion in
just a few seconds. It may help you until better client software is
available. Check it out.

Good tip - thanks.

FYI - Neo office does open Office 2007 but in my experience doesn't do it
well enough - the usual fonts/layout issues come up.

Alan

On 24/4/07 06:57, in article
1177394240.176469.253250@c18g2000prb.googlegroups.com, "dag.oyvind"
<dag.oyvind@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Apr 24, 4:09 am, William Smith <meckli...@REM0VETH1S.comcast.net>
> wrote:
>> In article <OCS6FQfhHHA.4...@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl>,
>>  Daiya Mitchell <daiyaNOS...@mvps.org.INVALID> wrote:

>>> IIRC, the date promised was Spring 2007 (US Spring--so maybe second
>>> quarter?), which is very fuzzy and not yet over. :)
>>
>> And let's not forget that these will be betas! They may be buggy or not
>> meet initial user expectations altogether. If they work then great! But
>> keep in mind that they may not work properly right away.
>>
>> bill
>> --
>> William M. Smith
>> (Microsoft Interop MVP - Mac/Windows)
>
> You could also try http://www.docx2doc.com/ . Online conversion in
> just a few seconds. It may help you until better client software is
> available. Check it out.

0
agh (4)
4/24/2007 6:39:59 AM
Hi Daiya -

I've tried a couple of the other options with "mixed" results at best. And
as far as the web site deal... Well, I'm not crazy about spraying my scent
on a strange site & leaving copies of my docs behind to boot :-) I think I'd
rather spend $400 on a cheap PeeCee ;)

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 4/23/07 6:09 PM, in article OCS6FQfhHHA.4516@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl, "Daiya
Mitchell" <daiyaNOSPAM@mvps.org.INVALID> wrote:

> CyberTaz wrote:
>>
>> In the meantime the only option is to have the user re-send in 97-2003
>> format - which I realize is a royal PITA :(
>>

> Well--there are supposedly some widgets and such that will convert the
> format (try Google, I downloaded something called docx-converter that I
> haven't installed yet), and NeoOffice 2 also opens the format,
> apparently.  For complex documents, you may lose some formatting--the MS
> converters are supposed to handle just about every possible case
> (presumably what's taking so long), and the existing tools out there
> don't promise that.  But they may handle the basics enough to save you a
> few requests for resending.
>
> Somewhere I also thought there was a website that would let you upload
> and give you back a converted doc.
>
> IIRC, the date promised was Spring 2007 (US Spring--so maybe second
> quarter?), which is very fuzzy and not yet over. :)

Purchasing Excel for a PC to share files with Mac version 2008?
Which version for a PC 2003 or 2007 would be best for sharing files between that and a Mac using Excel 2008? This site may help with your decision: http://mac-advisor.com/pages/MSoffice_file_format.html "vivreexcel" wrote: > Which version for a PC 2003 or 2007 would be best for sharing files between > that and a Mac using Excel 2008? vivreexcel - Mac Excel 2008 can read and write XLS and XLSX files, so either Excel 2003 or Excel 2007 is fine. Mac Excel 2008 does not support VBA, so XLA and XLSM are off limits. For a more Mac-centric set of opinions, p...

Excel 2007 calculation bug fix
A fix has been released for the Excel 2007 calculation bug: http://blogs.msdn.com/excel/archive/2007/10/09/calculation-issue-update-fix-available.aspx -- Biff Microsoft Excel MVP ...

PDF icon in MAC Office
Got an issue here need someone's advice. I have installed the Adobe prior to the Mac office. Because of that, the PDF converter icon is not installed into any of the MAC office software. Do I have to re-install Adobe to get the icon or there's an easier way. Please help. Sam <yam_reccomm@yahoo.com> wrote: > Got an issue here need someone's advice. I have installed the Adobe > prior to the Mac office. Because of that, the PDF converter icon is not > installed into any of the MAC office software. Do I have to re-install > Adobe to get the icon or there's an ...

Email Template in Campaign Activity not available 07-11-06
We're trying to use an e-mail template in a campaign activity, but we can't find the appropriate button in the form. Does it mean that the use of a template is not directly available in a campaign activity (email type)? We're able to use a template only in we create an email activity from the "Activity" menu... Thank's Alessandra ...

total memory available is only 3.3GB with 4GB physical memory under windows 7 64 bit 11-29-09
I had 4GB physical memoryon the PC. With Windows vista 32 bit, available memory is shown as 3.3GB. I asked and was told that only under 64 bit windows, will the available memory be 4GB. When I upgraded to windows 7, I chosed 64 bit, but the available memory shown in the system is still 3.3 GB. Why is this and is there a way to make the full 4GB available? It's possible that my video card is using RAM instead of its own RAM. If I install a video card with its own RAM, will the full 4GB be available? Thanks. Little has changed in this respect in Windows 7. Starting wit...

Ex 2007 beta 2 transport rule question
Hello all Been testing out Exchange 2007 features, and i have run across a wierd transport rules issue. What i did was create a transport rule so that any email that was sent with a specific message clasification could only be sent internally. What is happening instead is any email that is sent outside the Exchagne 2007 org is getting kicked back, and in the NDR it is saying that the email was kicked back back because it was sent with the message clasification that i configured in the transport rule. The way i understand this to work is if i send an email out of the Exchagne 2007 org...

Publish Form as option not available.Help Please
I'm using Outlook 2003 SP3 and trying to publish files to the Organizational Forms Library - When i click on Tools - Options - Forms , the only options i have are Choose Form or Design Form - The instructions i have been given state i must choose Publish Form As - but i have not got this option Can anyone assist me with this What form are you trying to publish? -- Milly Staples [MVP - Outlook] Post all replies to the group to keep the discussion intact. ALWAYS post your Outlook version. How to ask a question: http://support.microsoft.com/KB/555375 After furious head scratching, ke...

office shortcut bar
I see through a Google search that the geniuses at Microsoft did not put the Office Shortcut Bar (OSB) in Office 2003. I like and use the Windows Quick Launch Bar for my applications. After several years of using ACT! (3.x through 2005) to manage my business I am migrating to Outlook 2003 (with Business Contact Manager). I remember from an old work PC that, via the Office '97 Shortcut Bar, I could quickly add tasks and calendar items to Outlook (without opening Outlook). How can I directly access the tasks and calendar to add items via the Windows Quick Launch Bar? Since I did a clean inst...

Writing a macro in Outlook 2007
Hello - I have been trying to create code in Outlook 2007 that will send an item to a specific printer. I realize there is no macro recorder in Outlook, and I am not a programmer, so I've been trying to manipulate code found on a Microsoft support page, without success. Does anyone know the code required to send an item to a specific printer, other than the default? Here is a sample of what I've found - it includes resetting the default printer: Sub MAIN 'Retrieve and set information about the current default printer Dim FPS As FilePrintSetup GetCurValues FPS ...

Using From field in outlook 2007 with mail merge
I am desperately trying to send out emails via mail merge and be able to customize my outlook "From" field before sending. However, I never get a chance to make any edits via outlook before the messages are sent from the Word mail merge. Please advise. "GYJ64" <GYJ64@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:6038977C-A5A4-4CAE-81B8-E2C58A9A079A@microsoft.com... >I am desperately trying to send out emails via mail merge and be able to > customize my outlook "From" field before sending. However, I never get a > chance to make ...

Office 2008: Slow, slow, slow (am I the only one?)
I've been lurking in the Mac Office groups for a few weeks now to see what people are saying about the new version of Office, specifically how sluggish it is. Oddly, I'm finding very few posts talking about this. On my MacBook Pro, the Office apps (even after the last patch and without any font overload or 3rd-party font manager) load very slowly, to the point where I'm reluctant to use them. So, I guess the question I have is: Am I the only one having this problem (or is this problem just a given)? Thanks. Doug On 4/1/08 11:31 AM, in article a14ca1c6-ceb8-4fd3-85c9-e69fef3111b1@...

Microsoft Office standalone licenses and MSI installation
Is there a way to install Microsoft Office silently with all different standalone cd's. Same version Office 2003 Small Bus. Also, Is there anyway to upgrade all "new pc only" versions to a volume license so that this will not be an issue? -- John G "JohnIII" <JohnIII@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:98879860-2E81-47FA-B4C3-DC285E55A89A@microsoft.com... > Is there a way to install Microsoft Office silently with all different > standalone cd's. Same version Office 2003 Small Bus. Also, Is there anyway > to > upgr...

Share/Copy .PST data PC#1 Outlook 2003 {--} PC#2 Outlook 2007 Business Contact Manager
I have 2 PC's with Office 2003 Pro. I want to install the Office 2007 Beta on one of the PC's, at least the MS Outlook 2007 module, and I want to install THAT with the Business Contact Manager 2007. Will I be able to safely copy my data, i.e. my .PST files back & forth over the coming months between the PC running Outlook 2003 WITHOUT BCM and the one running Outlook 2007 WITH Business Contact Manager? I mean is there any incompatibility between the data files used by Office 2007 and Office 2003? I know that the Business Contact Manager stores its data in MSDE (SQL Server), but ...

IE8 will not come up, only get error
I am using windows XP 64x. When I access my IE8 32 bit it will start to load the home page and immediatly show an error that it needs to close. It started acting odd, page change but still old address and slow, and then the fail to load. Also, I am getting a Google Installer error that says it needs to shut down. This will come up several times. IE 8 64x works fine. I ran a Malwarebytes and Adware program, and 2 different virus checks Any suggestion on repair or reload? I am not very good with computer terms , so any easy to understand help would be greatly appreciated...

2007 Microsoft Publisher. How to put 4 postcards on -8.5X 11 .
Using Microsoft Publisher 2007. How do I put 4 postcards to a 8.5X 11 page.? I use Publisher 2000 but it should be pretty close. File Page setup Select Special size enter Width 5.5" Height 4.25" Select Landscape Create your text, images......... File Print Page options button Print multiple copies (Custom options button should show the margins to be zeros) -- Don Vancouver, USA "Community postcards" <Community postcards@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7D52133D-CE52-44CB-B596-7B22F4A9D1F5@microsoft.com... > Using Microsoft Publisher 2007....

More than one copy of Outlook 2007...
Hi, Running Outlook 2007. Every time I click on the Outlook icon, a new instance of Outlook is spawned. How do you disable this 'feature'? I do not want to run more than one copy at a time. thanks! the shortcut you use to open it should have the /recycle switch - this will cause outlook to reuse the current window. why are you clicking on the icon once its open? -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www.outlook-tips.net/beginner/ Outlook 2007: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2007/ Outlook ...

SharePoint/Business Portal, Office Web Component
Help. I have an intranet site using Sharepoint and Business Portal functions. The users are all off-site using their home computers to access. There are lists rendered as queries within the site that should be exportable to excel. Most users can do this using Office Web Component - and some never have to download the component. OWC is not available for users with Office 2007, so they are unable to download the query files into excel. Is it necessary for an Office 2007 user to purchase Office Project 2007 in order to be able to download from the site to excel? Am I even on the co...

Office Home and Student 2007 12-02-09
I just purchased a new Windows 7 laptop and also purchased Office Home and Student 2007. I notice it does not show Windows 7; only Vista and XP. Can I install the program withouth any problems? Need plain answers. I do not speek computereeze. "apensa" <apensa@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DAB37810-06C3-4500-B70B-8343649F61B5@microsoft.com... > I just purchased a new Windows 7 laptop and also purchased Office Home and > Student 2007. I notice it does not show Windows 7; only Vista and XP. > Can I > install the program without...

External data into Excel 2007
I have a workbook with several sheets with a query attached which prompts for a parameter. Each shhet gets a different value for the one parameter. My problem is, when I run the query, no matter which sheet I'm on, the data gets returned to sheet one. What am I doing wrong ? ...

Out Of Office
Is there a way of getting Out Of Office to switch on automatically when closing Outlook, so that you don't have to remember to set it every day? Has anyone heard of this before - not sure if it is possible? Thanks Nigel wrote: > Is there a way of getting Out Of Office to switch on > automatically when closing Outlook, so that you don't have > to remember to set it every day? > > Has anyone heard of this before - not sure if it is > possible? Not possible that I know of. I also don't know anyone who wants Out of Office enabled every time they leave work - ge...

Need some advice on using rpc over https in the office
Hi all, I need your advice on these. Is it better to use rpc over https for outlook users inside office than using TCP/IP? Any security concern since we need to allow internal users to access the DMZ server directly - exchange front end sever? If we configure the outlook users to use rpc over https inside the office, what's connection status shown as TCP/IP or https? Thank you. Depends on your Outlook config, if you have set your profile to use TCP\IP on fast connections (LAN) it will use TCP\IP, otherwise it will default to RPC\HTTP such as when at home. Some people create two p...

Exchange 2003 will not backup.
We recently encountered a problem with exchange when Symantec quarantined e00.log causing exchange to go down. I was able to recover the log file and everything came back up, and all seems to be working fine. However we are experience a backup problem. We are currently using the built in Microsoft Backup, and it is set to backup the exchange file store weekly. If you try to back it up manually or let it follow the schedule it fails and lists the following in the log. __________________________________________________________ Backup Status Operation: Backup Active backup destinati...

CRM Desktop Client and Outlook 2007
Hi, The CRM Desktop Client from Outook Setup does not accept Outlook 2007 as a valid Outlook version. How can I install this client? Is there a different client for Outlook 2007 available? Bets regards, Markus Markus, There is a compatibility release coming out for Outlook/Office2007. With RTM for Office happening just last week, we should expect CRM release in the near future. For More info please check here: http://blogs.msdn.com/crm/archive/2006/08/30/730678.aspx Jeff Loucks 888-474-2237 MVP On Mon, 13 Nov 2006 12:12:41 +0100, "Markus Broy" <broy@datawebservices_...

Export from MS Project 2003 to Excel 2007
I'm using the "Save As" option to export a project to Excel. Regardless if I choose Workbook (Project Excel Template or Selected Data) or Pivot Table I receive "Operation Failed!" when I export. Is there a compatibility issue between these versions or am I doing anything wrong during the export. I have tried to export both linked projects using a resource pool as well as projects which are not linked and are not using a resource pool. No compatibility issues as far as I'm aware, I've just done it. However, if you have SP3 then make sure unde...

Excel 2000 Pivot table in Excel 2007
I have created over the years a pivot table using Excel 2000 that tracks heating every day of the year. When I bring the Excel 2000 workbook into Excel 2007, the pivot table looks ok but when I refresh the data, I get very strange results. The pivot table is actually a summary of furnace usage and sums the usage for each month and gives a grand total for each year at the bottom. How can I get to use the Excel 2000 data and Pivot Table in Excel 2007? Thank you -- Ron P If we are what we eat then: I'm fast, cheap and easy Send me the XL2000 file so I can see for myself. Then ...