Office 2004 on Intel works, for a while, then apps will not launch

Hello all!

I searched previous posts extensively before posting. But my problem
does not seem to come from corrupted fonts or preferences.

Problem : Office apps work fine after a reboot, but eventually, I
become unable to relaunch them. I have to reboot again to get them to
work.

Details : MacBook Pro, 1gig of ram. Office 2004 11.2.6. OS 10.4.7.
 I'll open Entourage, work a bit, close it, and then I can't open it
anymore. The splash screen does not even appear completely (white
rectangle).

Console gives :

*****
Date/Time:      2006-08-09 12:03:11.089 -0400
OS Version:     10.4.7 (Build 8J2135)
Report Version: 4

Command: Microsoft Entourage
Parent:  WindowServer [369]
Rosetta: Yes

Version: 11.2.5 (11.2.5 (060620), =A9 2004 Microsoft Corporation.  All
rights reserved.)

PID:    485

Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes:      KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0xffffffa8
..=2E.

Tried : I have deleted the font cache and the carbon registration
database. I have tried a different user on the same machine. I have
reinstalled Office completely. All to no avail...

Help, ideas and moral support will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

0
alexmorin (3)

On 8/10/06 12:58 PM, in article
1155229124.452023.177590@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com, "AlexMorin"
<alexmorin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello all!
>
> I searched previous posts extensively before posting. But my problem
> does not seem to come from corrupted fonts or preferences.
>
> Problem : Office apps work fine after a reboot, but eventually, I
> become unable to relaunch them. I have to reboot again to get them to
> work.
>
> Details : MacBook Pro, 1gig of ram. Office 2004 11.2.6. OS 10.4.7.
>  I'll open Entourage, work a bit, close it, and then I can't open it
> anymore. The splash screen does not even appear completely (white
> rectangle).
>
> Console gives :
>
> *****
> Date/Time:      2006-08-09 12:03:11.089 -0400
> OS Version:     10.4.7 (Build 8J2135)
> Report Version: 4
>
> Command: Microsoft Entourage
> Parent:  WindowServer [369]
> Rosetta: Yes
>
> Version: 11.2.5 (11.2.5 (060620), � 2004 Microsoft Corporation.  All
> rights reserved.)
>
> PID:    485
>
> Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
> Codes:      KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0xffffffa8
>

> Tried : I have deleted the font cache and the carbon registration
> database. I have tried a different user on the same machine. I have
> reinstalled Office completely. All to no avail...
>
> Help, ideas and moral support will be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Have you repaired permissions? Was office test drive ever installed? If so,
did you use remove office before installing (or reinstalling) office 2004?

Quit all Office apps. Then use Activity monitor to Quit Database Daemon.
Then empty the trash and try again. What happens?

--
Bob Greenblatt [MVP], Macintosh
bobgreenblattATmsnDOTcom

0
bob6686 (387)
8/10/2006 5:19:39 PM
Bob Greenblatt wrote:
> Have you repaired permissions?

Yes I have. Repaired the file system as well.

> Was office test drive ever installed?

No, never. I made sure it was unselected when installing OS X. I did
let the OS X installer copy over all my Apps from my previous Powerbook
G4, including my Off2k4 install. That may be a part of the problem.
Maybe...

> If so,
> did you use remove office before installing (or reinstalling) office 2004?

No I removed it manualy since the Office installer off the CD did not
seem to offer me an uninstall option. I dug trough the filesystem using
Spotlight to remove all I could find. Not very clean I guess.
So there is an Office uninstaller? Where?

> Quit all Office apps. Then use Activity monitor to Quit Database Daemon.
> Then empty the trash and try again. What happens?

I'll try that as soon as possible. What do you want me to trash?

> --
> Bob Greenblatt [MVP], Macintosh
> bobgreenblattATmsnDOTcom

Thanks for the tips!

0
alexmorin (3)
8/10/2006 6:08:19 PM
On 8/10/06 11:08 AM, in article
1155233299.392312.322370@m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com, "AlexMorin"
<alexmorin@gmail.com> wrote:

>> If so,
>> did you use remove office before installing (or reinstalling) office 2004?
>
> No I removed it manualy since the Office installer off the CD did not
> seem to offer me an uninstall option. I dug trough the filesystem using
> Spotlight to remove all I could find. Not very clean I guess.
> So there is an Office uninstaller? Where?

In the Microsoft Office 2004 folder / Additional Tools folder. (It's also in
the same place on the CD.) That's what you need, and why you're having
problems. Run Remove Office, then empty the trash, then reinstall again from
the CD, then apply updates.

--
Paul Berkowitz
MVP MacOffice

Please "Reply To Newsgroup" to reply to this message. Emails will be
ignored.

PLEASE always state which version of Microsoft Office you are using -
**2004**, X  or 2001. It's often impossible to answer your questions
otherwise.

0
berkowit (221)
8/10/2006 6:34:23 PM
Paul Berkowitz wrote:
> In the Microsoft Office 2004 folder / Additional Tools folder. (It's also in
> the same place on the CD.) That's what you need, and why you're having
> problems. Run Remove Office, then empty the trash, then reinstall again from
> the CD, then apply updates.
>

> --
> Paul Berkowitz
> MVP MacOffice
> Entourage FAQ Page: <http://www.entourage.mvps.org/faq/index.html>
> AppleScripts for Entourage: <http://macscripter.net/scriptbuilders/>
>
> Please "Reply To Newsgroup" to reply to this message. Emails will be
> ignored.
>
> PLEASE always state which version of Microsoft Office you are using -
> **2004**, X  or 2001. It's often impossible to answer your questions
> otherwise.

Thanks a lot! The symptoms had already subsided before the uninstall,
but now am confident I have a clean install going.
It was weird... Even Office updates downnloaded manualy would not
launch...

Thanks to both of you for your help.

Alex

0
alexmorin (3)

Using 2 versions of Mac Office 2004 (Japanese and English). How do I set the default for which version my machine uses to open office files?
I using 2 versions of Mac Office 2004 (Japanese and English). How do I set the default for which version my machine uses to open office files? It would of course be better if MS allowed users to switch menu languages within the program just as Mac does with its OS and associated software. But since that is not the case, I have had to purchase install the English version of Office 2004 (at great expense both monetarily and memory wise). When I open files already on my computer it always opens them with the "default" version of Office 2004 which is in Japanese. I can't seem to ...

exchange 2003 rule wizard not working
Hi, I had a email rule set-up which use to forward a copy of some emails I received from selected people in my mailbox to my home email address, and also move it to another folder now since my work has moved to active directory from novel this does not work.. please note it does move it to the other folder just doesnt forward it to a external email address Any ideas why this doesn't work anymore and how it can be resolved. or if there is a setting or something that needs to be changed. Any help would be appreciated annoyed Automatic forwarding and replying to the Internet is disabled b...

Out-of-office twin replies

Vista
I have just purchased a PC with Windows Vista already installed, and have installed Microsoft Office 2003 on it & registered it. However, whenever I launch Excl I am confronted with a screen showing a Microsoft Office End Users Licence Agreement which requires me to agree to each time before the programme will launch. Does anyone know how to stop this happening? You registered but did you activate? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 22:55:54 -0000, "Gunga" <scohen@btinternet.com> wrote: >I have just purchased a PC with Windows Vista already installe...

mail merge from Microsoft Works Address book to make labels
I have 850 addresses in the Address Book located in Microsoft Works. I'm running XP and have Publisher 2003 and Word options to make these labels, but I can't seem to get either to locate this address book. Please HELP. I'm on a deadline Mellisa Hi Mellisa @ Midwest (Mellisa @ Midwest@discussions.microsoft.com), in the newsgroups you posted: || I have 850 addresses in the Address Book located in Microsoft Works. || I'm running XP and have Publisher 2003 and Word options to make || these labels, but I can't seem to get either to locate this address || book. Please...

Office 2007
I have Office 2007 installed on an WinXP machine. I've added to my start menu the following short-cuts: New Microsoft Office Document Open Microsoft Office Document I have a few questions, 1. What is the default location of the files listed in the New Microsoft Office Document window? 2. Can I add tabs to the New Microsofot Office Document window? If so, how? 3. What is the default location for the Open Microsoft Office Document window? Assume I've made no changes to the install of Office 2007. Your assistance and help is greatly appreciated! (B^>)-]=[ ...

Office Macros
What is the latest about when we will be able to upgrade our Office for Mac so that it can run all of our spreadsheets with VB macros? -- "In no part of the constitution is more wisdom to be found, than in the clause which confides the question of war or peace to the legislature, and not to the executive department." - James Madison The only official word from Microsoft is that VBA will return in the next release of Mac Office which is tentatively scheduled for "Holidays 2010" - I take that to mean late 4th quarter of next year. I would not expect to see anything m...

Send Exchange 2003 Out of Office Replies to non Exchange mail serv
Hi, I am new here, so please bear with me. I am hoping someone can help me. I have looked and looked and looked for the answer to my question with no luck. I am wondering if it is possible to setup Exchange 2003 Out of Office replies to respond to a non-Exchange mail server within the same domain without opening up to the internet. The reasoning is to prevent spam programs from detecting legit addresses. Main Mail Server for Staff & Faculty: Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition Main Mail Server for Students: SurgeMail from NetWinSite.com They are in the same domain, but I am wanti...

Categories disappeared after upgrade from Office 2k3 to 2k7??
After upgrading from Office 2003 to Office 2007 all of my categories are gone. I still have a complete backup of my system containing Office 2k3 with working categories, is there a way to manually transfer the Categories to Office 2k7? Any help in this area would be completely appreciated. Thx NewsReader2k;115976 Wrote: > After upgrading from Office 2003 to Office 2007 all of my categories > are > gone. > > I still have a complete backup of my system containing Office 2k3 with > working categories, is there a way to manually transfer the Catego...

Opening/importing data from database takes forever after upgrading office!
Hello. I recently reinstalled a users computer and upgraded his office version from 2000 to xp. Now when he imports data from a database it takes forever. It can take several minutes and before the reinstallation the operation only took seconds. What could be wrong? I did the same on his coworkers computer with the same result so there must be something that can solve the problem. I just can't figure it out. The run windows 2000 sp4. Please help. :^) //Johan Anyone? It never hurts to empty the windows temp folder (with excel closed), but it may not help. You may want to take...

How do I change the data set on the X axis? (office 2003)
OK, so I created a frequency histogram (bar chart) by selecting the values for the Y-axis, but I can't figure out how to change the values on the X-axis to fit the rest of my values.... When I make the graph using both sets of data, it gives me two separate bar charts on the same plane. Help please :) Thanks Remove the text in the top cell over the x-values; now make the chart. Excel thinks you have two data series best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "jrexattack" <jrexattack@discussions.microsoft.com&...

office 2003 eula comes up each time you open word,excel

Money 2004 Deluxe only half starts
I just installed Microsoft Money 2004 Deluxe on a Dell i8600 notebook with Windows XP Pro. Installation steps went ok but when I clicked on the Start/Programs/Microsoft Money 2004 it only "half started" or didn't completely load. Then mouse cursor would disappear behind the window and I had to use the task manager's end program to get out of it. I un- installed the program using the add-remove program in the control panel folder. Should I try and re-install the program? Thanks for any help! Jack In microsoft.public.money, Jack D wrote: >I just installed Microsof...

CTRL+Shift+Arrow Doesn't Work
Since yesterday I've not been able to use the ctrl+shift shortcut to select data ranges. I press the keys and nothing happens. I can still use other ctrl shortcuts, this is the only one that isn't functional. Does anyone know what could be the cause? Thanks, Elon I just wanted to add that this is for excel 2003 sp1. "Elon" wrote: > Since yesterday I've not been able to use the ctrl+shift shortcut to select > data ranges. I press the keys and nothing happens. I can still use other > ctrl shortcuts, this is the only one that isn't functional. Do...

Re-installation of office
I need to re-install office on my pc after resetting the pc to the original settings. HELP! Insert Office cd, install. Dont have cd? ....explain "Lisa Lucey" <Lisa Lucey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D935368F-BFC7-4C04-96BA-FEAFABC6E358@microsoft.com... >I need to re-install office on my pc after resetting the pc to the original > settings. HELP! ...

Office 12.2.1 update/Reentering Product Key
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I attempted to update my Microsoft Office 2008 from 12.2.0 to 12.2.1 today; however, after the installation was complete, when I went to open a Microsoft Office application, an error message appeared stating: "Office for Mac has determined that your product key is not valid. To use Office for Mac, you must enter a valid product key" and refers me to this link: <http://www.microsoft.com/mac/help.mspx?MODE=pv&CTT=PageView&clr=99-0-0&target=f2d51b70-f7d6-4a3c-ae8b-b90597d7530e1033> After deleti...

XSLT example does not work?

creating new top level window in sdi app
Hi, I have been researching the construction of a new window in my mfc sdi app in order to display a separate video frame on a second monitor, and have created a new window from a class derived from CFrameWnd (should I have used CFormView instead?). This window is visible on the second monitor but I want to display a video from my application, but outside of the SDI view window (and also outside the CmainFrame window). I don't seem to be able to get the video to render to it. I received advice before that I needed to create a new top level window, but I have difficulty in programma...

CRM does not work via Internet
CRM 1.2 is not currently working via Internet. It requires a VPN connection. Is there a way to make it work on regular internet or this limitation will be addressed in the next version? Are you referring to the web client or the SFO client? The web client can be accessed publicly provided you have the appropriate ports open through your firewall (default is 80). However, there are some major security considerations to doing this. Unless you are using SSL, your company data will be being transmitted through the internet unencrypted. Due to the nature of the SFO client and it's requir...

Spellcheck Doesn't Work
Auto correct works, but the regular spellcheck does nothing, no error message, nothing Is it "turned on" . . . . Tools - Options - Spelling tab - CHECK first box "Always check spelling before sending" "Ocoee" <Ocoee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:BEECBEDF-C157-481C-9090-11846599F9E2@microsoft.com... > Auto correct works, but the regular spellcheck does nothing, no error > message, nothing Alt + T, Options, Spelling tab, is Check spelling as I type checked? Misspelled words will be underlined. -- Ron Sommer MS MV...

Office 2003 and mac office
I have a workbook with some macros and such that i made on my XP computer. I sent it to a friend of mine to use, but he has a mac. The macro i made to sort runs into a problem when he runs it, however when he sent me the workbook and i ran the macor it worked fine. It had a 1004 runtime error. Is this a common problem due to it being made on a pc and ran on a mac? what changes need to be made to make it work on a mac? Selection.Sort Key1:=Range("IA3"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlGuess, _ OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom, _ Da...

Can I update from Office 98 to Office X
Can I update from Office 98 to Office X for mac? I should of said upgrade from Office 98 to Office X for mac? > From: Aggregates & Roadbuilding Magazine <rock@sympatico.ca> > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.mac.office > Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:37:48 -0500 > Subject: Can I update from Office 98 to Office X > > Can I update from Office 98 to Office X for mac? > According to the Mactopia site: You can upgrade to Office v. X for Mac if you already own any of the following products: Office�98 Macintosh Edition Entourage�2001 Special Edition <http://www.micr...

office xp
I have a soccer club database that weas created using access xp and I need to be able to run it on my home computer that uses office 2000. Certain parts of the database such as the listing of teams will not work. please adivse When you switch between database versions many times the new computer does not have the appropriate references set or is missing references it needs in order to run. Assuming you can open the database on your machine with Access 2000, you need to open the database and open the code editor window. Select Debug | Compile. Generally, a 2002 database won't run u...

Windows Mail not working
My windows mail is not working. I was sending and receiving for the past 2 months (new computer). It just stopped, and I checked all of my mail account settings. I have only one, so that's easy. It keeps prompting me for my user name and pw. My account settings are identical to my other computer (for which I used Outlook). But, now I am using Windows Mail and even though the account settings are identical, I am unable to send/receive any emails. It's been 5 days now. Please advise A likely reason for the username/password failing is account corruption. One thin...

Upgrade to Power Point 2010 from Microsoft Office 2008
How can I upgrade from Power Point in Microsoft Office 2008 for Mac to Power Point 2010? unfortunately the Beta version is only available on windows platforms. Preliminary system requirements for Office 2010 include the following: • Windows XP SP3, Windows Vista or Windows 7 check out: http://www.microsoft.com/office/2010/en/faqs/default.aspx#29q Emma Bannister PowerPoint Specialist www.presentationstudio.com "4jswest" <4jswest@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:15B53B5E-1A57-4E46-8CBA-5A7BDD9D71C7@microsoft.com... > How can I upgrade fr...