Office 10.1.4 update crashes

Hi-

I recently tried to install the Office v.X 10.1.4 update on my iBook
G3 (I have successfully installed the 10.1.2 update).  Near the end of
the update, the installer stopped at number 13 (an excel file I
believe) and reported an error in attempting to create the file.  The
installer then stops.

Now, none of my office programs will even reach the splash screen when
opening.  Instead, when attempting to open, they bounce in the dock
for a few seconds and then unexpectedly quit.

I assume I need to uninstall from the Office v.X CD and then reinstall
office and try each of the updates in order (10.1.2, 10.1.4, 10.1.5).

Two questions though:

1 - Is there anything I can do to get the 10.1.4 updater to work?

2 - I am most concnerned about losing all of my email in Entourage (I
use a POP client that deletes my email from the server).  If I
reinstall Office, how I can insure I save all of my old email?

Thanks for any help-

Erik Alexander
0
eba4n (3)

On 20/1/04 5:32 am, in article
f249bf4f.0401192132.1041c97e@posting.google.com, "Erik Alexander"
<eba4n@virginia.edu> wrote:

> Hi-
>
> I recently tried to install the Office v.X 10.1.4 update on my iBook
> G3 (I have successfully installed the 10.1.2 update).  Near the end of
> the update, the installer stopped at number 13 (an excel file I
> believe) and reported an error in attempting to create the file.  The
> installer then stops.
>
> Now, none of my office programs will even reach the splash screen when
> opening.  Instead, when attempting to open, they bounce in the dock
> for a few seconds and then unexpectedly quit.
>
> I assume I need to uninstall from the Office v.X CD and then reinstall
> office and try each of the updates in order (10.1.2, 10.1.4, 10.1.5).
>
> Two questions though:
>
> 1 - Is there anything I can do to get the 10.1.4 updater to work?
>
> 2 - I am most concnerned about losing all of my email in Entourage (I
> use a POP client that deletes my email from the server).  If I
> reinstall Office, how I can insure I save all of my old email?
>
> Thanks for any help-
>
> Erik Alexander

I would try running 'repair permissions' in 'disk first aid'/'Disk Utility'
before running the updater again - it could be a permissions problem that
prevented the file from being created. Also, it may be worth
verifying/repairing the disk as well in case of directory corruption.

Your data should not be affected by a remove/reinstall. All your personal
data is stored in the Microsoft User Data folder in 'documents' (with the
exception of personal templates, stored in the templates folder of the
application folder). The MUD folder is not affected by a run of the 'remove
office' utility, but if you have custom templates, copy them to a safe place
first (including the Normal template, if you have modified that!)
--
Barry Wainwright
Microsoft MVP (see http://mvp.support.microsoft.com for details)

Please post responses to this newsgroup. If I ask you to contact me
off-list, remove '.INVALID' from email address before replying.

0
barry2272 (18)
1/22/2004 1:02:51 PM
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 0:32:11 -0500, Erik Alexander wrote
(in message <f249bf4f.0401192132.1041c97e@posting.google.com>):

> Hi-
>
> I recently tried to install the Office v.X 10.1.4 update on my iBook
> G3 (I have successfully installed the 10.1.2 update).  Near the end of
> the update, the installer stopped at number 13 (an excel file I
> believe) and reported an error in attempting to create the file.  The
> installer then stops.
>
> SNIPPED
>
> Two questions though:
>
> 1 - Is there anything I can do to get the 10.1.4 updater to work?
>
> 2 - I am most concnerned about losing all of my email in Entourage (I
> use a POP client that deletes my email from the server).  If I
> reinstall Office, how I can insure I save all of my old email?

I finally threw in the towel. I repaired permissions between each update, but
10.1.4 never worked -- it always stopped at the Excel file.

0
nospam9740 (13)
2/23/2004 12:05:47 AM
On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 0:32:11 -0500, Erik Alexander wrote
(in message <f249bf4f.0401192132.1041c97e@posting.google.com>):

> I recently tried to install the Office v.X 10.1.4 update on my iBook
> G3 (I have successfully installed the 10.1.2 update).  Near the end of
> the update, the installer stopped at number 13 (an excel file I
> believe) and reported an error in attempting to create the file.  The
> installer then stops.

I saw in another thread that it may work if you disable all internet
connections. I did that, *and* at the same time skipped 10.1.3 and did 10.1.4
(since it has the .3 stuff in it) and it worked.

On 2/23/04 5:46 PM, in article
0001HW.BC6017330007F40BF04075B0@msnews.microsoft.com, "Tim Murray"
<no-spam@thankyou.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 0:32:11 -0500, Erik Alexander wrote
> (in message <f249bf4f.0401192132.1041c97e@posting.google.com>):
>
>> I recently tried to install the Office v.X 10.1.4 update on my iBook
>> G3 (I have successfully installed the 10.1.2 update).  Near the end of
>> the update, the installer stopped at number 13 (an excel file I
>> believe) and reported an error in attempting to create the file.  The
>> installer then stops.
>
> I saw in another thread that it may work if you disable all internet
> connections. I did that, *and* at the same time skipped 10.1.3 and did 10.1.4
> (since it has the .3 stuff in it) and it worked.

I had it happen continuously when trying to update to 10.1.5. In the end, I
had to use Office Remover (Value Pack install), reinstall Office 10.0.0 and
work my up through 10.1.2, 10.1.4 and 10.1.5. It worked fine.

--
Paul Berkowitz
MVP Entourage

Please "Reply To Newsgroup" to reply to this message. Emails will be
ignored.

PLEASE always state which version of Entourage you are using - 2001 or X.
It's often impossible to answer your questions otherwise.

0
berkowit (221)

Using 2 versions of Mac Office 2004 (Japanese and English). How do I set the default for which version my machine uses to open office files?
I using 2 versions of Mac Office 2004 (Japanese and English). How do I set the default for which version my machine uses to open office files? It would of course be better if MS allowed users to switch menu languages within the program just as Mac does with its OS and associated software. But since that is not the case, I have had to purchase install the English version of Office 2004 (at great expense both monetarily and memory wise). When I open files already on my computer it always opens them with the "default" version of Office 2004 which is in Japanese. I can't seem to ...

Name of Address table in Great Plains 10
HI: What is the table name that holds the Vendor Address? I don't have SQL in front of me but my documentation tells me that the Vendor Master is PM00200 (PM_Vendor_MSTR) and the Vendor Address Master is PM00300 (PM_Address_MSTR) "janieb" wrote: > HI: > > What is the table name that holds the Vendor Address? > > ...

PDC Crashed
Im admin handling domain controller for all sites. We have one PDC and 11 ADC. Two days back due to hardware issue, my PDC got crashed. I had assigned FDMO Roles to one of my ADC which is there in my same location. Now i want to restore the crashed PDC to as it is. COuld i able to do this? Please help me. Due to PDC crash, im experincing slow replication (nearly 3 hours for password reset) and performance issue -- sanushi ------------------------------------------------------------------------ sanushi's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/217600.htm View this threa...

Out-of-office twin replies

How to merge 10 files in one step?
Hi Everyone I would like to check is it possible to merge 10 files with the same format together with one step or less steps when compared to opening up 10 files and then copy and paste? I would really appreciate any help given... Cheers ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creating financial statements There is no way built into Excel to do a merge other than copy/paste. (Well, there is th...

Vista
I have just purchased a PC with Windows Vista already installed, and have installed Microsoft Office 2003 on it & registered it. However, whenever I launch Excl I am confronted with a screen showing a Microsoft Office End Users Licence Agreement which requires me to agree to each time before the programme will launch. Does anyone know how to stop this happening? You registered but did you activate? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 22:55:54 -0000, "Gunga" <scohen@btinternet.com> wrote: >I have just purchased a PC with Windows Vista already installe...

Office 2007
I have Office 2007 installed on an WinXP machine. I've added to my start menu the following short-cuts: New Microsoft Office Document Open Microsoft Office Document I have a few questions, 1. What is the default location of the files listed in the New Microsoft Office Document window? 2. Can I add tabs to the New Microsofot Office Document window? If so, how? 3. What is the default location for the Open Microsoft Office Document window? Assume I've made no changes to the install of Office 2007. Your assistance and help is greatly appreciated! (B^>)-]=[ ...

Office Macros
What is the latest about when we will be able to upgrade our Office for Mac so that it can run all of our spreadsheets with VB macros? -- "In no part of the constitution is more wisdom to be found, than in the clause which confides the question of war or peace to the legislature, and not to the executive department." - James Madison The only official word from Microsoft is that VBA will return in the next release of Mac Office which is tentatively scheduled for "Holidays 2010" - I take that to mean late 4th quarter of next year. I would not expect to see anything m...

Send Exchange 2003 Out of Office Replies to non Exchange mail serv
Hi, I am new here, so please bear with me. I am hoping someone can help me. I have looked and looked and looked for the answer to my question with no luck. I am wondering if it is possible to setup Exchange 2003 Out of Office replies to respond to a non-Exchange mail server within the same domain without opening up to the internet. The reasoning is to prevent spam programs from detecting legit addresses. Main Mail Server for Staff & Faculty: Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition Main Mail Server for Students: SurgeMail from NetWinSite.com They are in the same domain, but I am wanti...

How do I unhide row 1?
I have bee delivered a worksheet with Rows 1-9 hidden. How do I unhide these rows when I cannot select the rows on both side of the hidden area. Thanx. Select the whole worksheet, Ctrl-A, Format>Row>Unhide. -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove nothere from email address if mailing direct) "DFL" <DFL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5A3D5EA1-BB13-4735-BE03-0C26A3CDFBAB@microsoft.com... > I have bee delivered a worksheet with Rows 1-9 hidden. How do I unhide these > rows when I cannot select the rows on both side of the hidden area. > > Thanx. ...

Categories disappeared after upgrade from Office 2k3 to 2k7??
After upgrading from Office 2003 to Office 2007 all of my categories are gone. I still have a complete backup of my system containing Office 2k3 with working categories, is there a way to manually transfer the Categories to Office 2k7? Any help in this area would be completely appreciated. Thx NewsReader2k;115976 Wrote: > After upgrading from Office 2003 to Office 2007 all of my categories > are > gone. > > I still have a complete backup of my system containing Office 2k3 with > working categories, is there a way to manually transfer the Catego...

How do I change the data set on the X axis? (office 2003)
OK, so I created a frequency histogram (bar chart) by selecting the values for the Y-axis, but I can't figure out how to change the values on the X-axis to fit the rest of my values.... When I make the graph using both sets of data, it gives me two separate bar charts on the same plane. Help please :) Thanks Remove the text in the top cell over the x-values; now make the chart. Excel thinks you have two data series best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "jrexattack" <jrexattack@discussions.microsoft.com&...

Opening/importing data from database takes forever after upgrading office!
Hello. I recently reinstalled a users computer and upgraded his office version from 2000 to xp. Now when he imports data from a database it takes forever. It can take several minutes and before the reinstallation the operation only took seconds. What could be wrong? I did the same on his coworkers computer with the same result so there must be something that can solve the problem. I just can't figure it out. The run windows 2000 sp4. Please help. :^) //Johan Anyone? It never hurts to empty the windows temp folder (with excel closed), but it may not help. You may want to take...

office 2003 eula comes up each time you open word,excel

Workflow Manager 10-16-03
Hi all, I have the same problem as discussed here. But no solution suggested here was successfully :-( I've played with the rights of the workflow service, and so on. Alwyas the same error: "You do not have sufficient rights ...". Any other ideas? Ralf. there is a fix for this - https://www.greatplains.com/customersource/support/downloads/hotfixes/tk29313hotfix.htm "Ralf Eisele" <ralf@extension.net> wrote in message news:uLrQ%2349kDHA.2216@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hi all, > > I have the same problem as discussed here. But no solution suggested he...

Re-installation of office
I need to re-install office on my pc after resetting the pc to the original settings. HELP! Insert Office cd, install. Dont have cd? ....explain "Lisa Lucey" <Lisa Lucey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D935368F-BFC7-4C04-96BA-FEAFABC6E358@microsoft.com... >I need to re-install office on my pc after resetting the pc to the original > settings. HELP! ...

Yahoo Sports Updates: Backtracks on Vista 64
If anyone has any ideas on this one, I'd be most interested... I have noted that when I try to follow sports events on Yahoo with real time updates, after working properly for a few minutes, Windows Explorer 8 freezes at a certain point in the game...if I click on the "reload page" icon, it gives the updated status of the games, and then after about 15 seconds reverts to the earlier point in the game... This seems to be specific to my Vista system (HP Pavilion), it does not occur on my XP systems. If anyone has thoughts on this, they would be greatly appreciate...

Office 12.2.1 update/Reentering Product Key
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I attempted to update my Microsoft Office 2008 from 12.2.0 to 12.2.1 today; however, after the installation was complete, when I went to open a Microsoft Office application, an error message appeared stating: "Office for Mac has determined that your product key is not valid. To use Office for Mac, you must enter a valid product key" and refers me to this link: <http://www.microsoft.com/mac/help.mspx?MODE=pv&CTT=PageView&clr=99-0-0&target=f2d51b70-f7d6-4a3c-ae8b-b90597d7530e1033> After deleti...

OWA Problem #10
I have lost the OWA site from IIS. Can't now login to exchenge remotely. Need some help on how to reinstall the Exchange site in IIS. Thanks "lost the OWA site"? Can you provide more detail, please? What version of Exchange server? What happens when you access http://servername/exchange? William Marcus wrote: > I have lost the OWA site from IIS. Can't now login to exchenge remotely. > Need some help on how to reinstall the Exchange site in IIS. > > Thanks > > ...

Office 2003 and mac office
I have a workbook with some macros and such that i made on my XP computer. I sent it to a friend of mine to use, but he has a mac. The macro i made to sort runs into a problem when he runs it, however when he sent me the workbook and i ran the macor it worked fine. It had a 1004 runtime error. Is this a common problem due to it being made on a pc and ran on a mac? what changes need to be made to make it work on a mac? Selection.Sort Key1:=Range("IA3"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlGuess, _ OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom, _ Da...

installing outlook 04-25-10
I have just installed Mictosoft Office standard 2007 it works fine other than outlook I cannot get outlook to open---as it tells me "Microsoft Exchange in unavailable" I have then three options retry/work off line/cancel the Exchange Server settings my work (university of Washington) gave me do not work and the other two options result in the computer closing. What do I do now? On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 15:46:01 -0700, pjdunbar <pjdunbar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have just installed Mictosoft Office standard 2007 it works fine other than > outlo...

If or formula 06-03-10
Trying to create a formula that will do the following: If a1="1", then vlookup ...........or if A1="2" then vlookup...... Not enough information. Vlookup what? Where would this formula be entered? Let's say for example we had Gord in B1 In C1 we enter =3DIF(A1=3D1,VLOOKUP(B1,table,colndx,false),"not equal = 1") Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Wed, 2 Jun 2010 19:19:31 -0700, Susan = <Susan@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >Trying to create a formula that will do the following: > >If a1=3D"1", then v...

Can I update from Office 98 to Office X
Can I update from Office 98 to Office X for mac? I should of said upgrade from Office 98 to Office X for mac? > From: Aggregates & Roadbuilding Magazine <rock@sympatico.ca> > Newsgroups: microsoft.public.mac.office > Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 14:37:48 -0500 > Subject: Can I update from Office 98 to Office X > > Can I update from Office 98 to Office X for mac? > According to the Mactopia site: You can upgrade to Office v. X for Mac if you already own any of the following products: Office´┐Ż98 Macintosh Edition Entourage´┐Ż2001 Special Edition <http://www.micr...

Can I sort by 4 Criteria's
The sort box gives three, can there be 4 (through an Add-In or something)? Thank you for your consideration. John Highlight the sort range and sort by your lowest three criteria. Then sort again choosing your highest (main) criteria. Alternatively, you can join two or more fields together in a temporary column, and include this in your sort range as one of the sort fields. Hope this helps. Pete John13 wrote: > The sort box gives three, can there be 4 (through an Add-In or > something)? Thank you for your consideration. > > John John13 wrote: > The sort box gives thr...

Email Router Crashing
Hello, I am having an issue with email router. When the service is started, it is then stopped immediately with the error message: The CRM Email Router on Local Computer started then stopped. Some service stop automatically if they have no work etc etc In the event viewer we get the following error Message: #16192 - The E-mail Router service could not run the service main background thread. The E-mail Router service cannot continue and will now shut down. System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: The E-mail router service cannot access system state file Microsoft.Crm.Tools.E...