Office 10.1 apps crash when opening or immediately after saving

Word, Excel and PowerPoint have suddenly stopped working. Entourage
seems to work as well as ever. When I try to open any existing document
or if I create a new one and save it, the application crashes. The crash
dump indicates the crash is in com.apple.HIToolbox while calling
SetWindowProxyAlias.

I have tried removing all preferences (both manually and using the
uninstaller) and removing the actual Office folder and restoring from a
known good backup. The documents do not seem corrupt since I can open
them in other applications. I suspect something in the HIToolbox is
corrupt, but I don't really want to reinstall 10.3 (and all its updates)
from scratch just to fix a problem that only seems to affect these
programs. If there are any specific Apple files I should try restoring
from backup, I'm happy to try.

Any suggestions?

--
Mike Calmus

All responses should be made to this newsgroup within the same thread.
Thanks.

0
mcalmus (4)

It doesn't actually sound as though you have tried totally uninstalling the
program and then reinstalling it.

There are a number of Office troubleshooting suggestions here.
http://mcgimpsey.com/macoffice/office/troubleshooting.html

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

daiyaNOSPAM (1173)
2/2/2005 8:53:23 AM
I hadn't explicitly followed these directions, but except for the Font
part, I had already done all of them. Still no luck. Any other ideas?

Daiya Mitchell wrote:
> It doesn't actually sound as though you have tried totally uninstalling the
> program and then reinstalling it.
>
> There are a number of Office troubleshooting suggestions here.
> http://mcgimpsey.com/macoffice/office/troubleshooting.html
>

> On 2/1/05 8:14 PM,  "Mike Calmus" wrote:
>

>>Word, Excel and PowerPoint have suddenly stopped working. Entourage
>>seems to work as well as ever. When I try to open any existing document
>>or if I create a new one and save it, the application crashes. The crash
>>dump indicates the crash is in com.apple.HIToolbox while calling
>>SetWindowProxyAlias.
>>
>>I have tried removing all preferences (both manually and using the
>>uninstaller) and removing the actual Office folder and restoring from a
>>known good backup. The documents do not seem corrupt since I can open
>>them in other applications. I suspect something in the HIToolbox is
>>corrupt, but I don't really want to reinstall 10.3 (and all its updates)
>>from scratch just to fix a problem that only seems to affect these
>>programs. If there are any specific Apple files I should try restoring
>>from backup, I'm happy to try.
>>
>>Any suggestions?

0
mcalmus (4)
2/3/2005 12:04:42 AM
You uninstalled using the Remove Office tool in the Value Pack, right? Then
you repaired permissions, reinstalled, repaired permissions again?

Have you tried it in a different user?

DM

On 2/2/05 4:04 PM,  "Mike Calmus" wrote:

> I hadn't explicitly followed these directions, but except for the Font
> part, I had already done all of them. Still no luck. Any other ideas?
>
> Daiya Mitchell wrote:
>> It doesn't actually sound as though you have tried totally uninstalling the
>> program and then reinstalling it.
>>
>> There are a number of Office troubleshooting suggestions here.
>> http://mcgimpsey.com/macoffice/office/troubleshooting.html

0
daiyaNOSPAM (1173)
2/3/2005 12:21:47 AM
Yep. I sure did. When I experienced a similar problem with Acrobat
Reader I determined it was an issue not with Office but with the OS
itself. Since the error was occurring in the HIToolbox and because I was
only having problems with Carbon apps, I decided to try replacing the
Carbon Framework with a known good copy. This fixed all the problems I
was having. Thanks for the suggestions.

Daiya Mitchell wrote:
> You uninstalled using the Remove Office tool in the Value Pack, right? Then
> you repaired permissions, reinstalled, repaired permissions again?
>
> Have you tried it in a different user?
>
> DM
>

> On 2/2/05 4:04 PM,  "Mike Calmus" wrote:
>

>>I hadn't explicitly followed these directions, but except for the Font
>>part, I had already done all of them. Still no luck. Any other ideas?
>>
>>Daiya Mitchell wrote:
>>
>>>It doesn't actually sound as though you have tried totally uninstalling the
>>>program and then reinstalling it.
>>>
>>>There are a number of Office troubleshooting suggestions here.
>>>http://mcgimpsey.com/macoffice/office/troubleshooting.html
0
mcalmus (4)
2/3/2005 3:36:58 AM
So you fixed it?  Thanks for reporting back, very useful to know.
DM

On 2/2/05 7:36 PM,  "Mike Calmus" wrote:

> Yep. I sure did. When I experienced a similar problem with Acrobat
> Reader I determined it was an issue not with Office but with the OS
> itself. Since the error was occurring in the HIToolbox and because I was
> only having problems with Carbon apps, I decided to try replacing the
> Carbon Framework with a known good copy. This fixed all the problems I
> was having. Thanks for the suggestions.
>

> Daiya Mitchell wrote:
>> You uninstalled using the Remove Office tool in the Value Pack, right? Then
>> you repaired permissions, reinstalled, repaired permissions again?
>>
>> Have you tried it in a different user?
>>
>> DM
>>

>> On 2/2/05 4:04 PM,  "Mike Calmus" wrote:
>>

>>> I hadn't explicitly followed these directions, but except for the Font
>>> part, I had already done all of them. Still no luck. Any other ideas?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
MacWord Tips: <http://www.word.mvps.org/MacWordNew/>

daiyaNOSPAM (1173)

Using 2 versions of Mac Office 2004 (Japanese and English). How do I set the default for which version my machine uses to open office files?
I using 2 versions of Mac Office 2004 (Japanese and English). How do I set the default for which version my machine uses to open office files? It would of course be better if MS allowed users to switch menu languages within the program just as Mac does with its OS and associated software. But since that is not the case, I have had to purchase install the English version of Office 2004 (at great expense both monetarily and memory wise). When I open files already on my computer it always opens them with the "default" version of Office 2004 which is in Japanese. I can't seem to ...

Name of Address table in Great Plains 10
HI: What is the table name that holds the Vendor Address? I don't have SQL in front of me but my documentation tells me that the Vendor Master is PM00200 (PM_Vendor_MSTR) and the Vendor Address Master is PM00300 (PM_Address_MSTR) "janieb" wrote: > HI: > > What is the table name that holds the Vendor Address? > > ...

Problem opening files from server
When attempting to open a file from the server by clicking the short cut to the folder on the server, then the file I get the following message: Windows cannot find 'L:\name_of-file.xls'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. If I bring up excel 2007, then click the "folder" to the right of the 'Office Button' (upper left hand corner), it brings up a listing of the network drives and the files under them. I can click on the *.xls that I desire to open and it opens it without a problem. Also, I can click the 'Office Button' and th...

Out-of-office twin replies

PDC Crashed
Im admin handling domain controller for all sites. We have one PDC and 11 ADC. Two days back due to hardware issue, my PDC got crashed. I had assigned FDMO Roles to one of my ADC which is there in my same location. Now i want to restore the crashed PDC to as it is. COuld i able to do this? Please help me. Due to PDC crash, im experincing slow replication (nearly 3 hours for password reset) and performance issue -- sanushi ------------------------------------------------------------------------ sanushi's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/217600.htm View this threa...

How to merge 10 files in one step?
Hi Everyone I would like to check is it possible to merge 10 files with the same format together with one step or less steps when compared to opening up 10 files and then copy and paste? I would really appreciate any help given... Cheers ------------------------------------------------ ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com/ ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com/ ~~Now Available: Financial Statements.xls, a step by step guide to creating financial statements There is no way built into Excel to do a merge other than copy/paste. (Well, there is th...

Vista
I have just purchased a PC with Windows Vista already installed, and have installed Microsoft Office 2003 on it & registered it. However, whenever I launch Excl I am confronted with a screen showing a Microsoft Office End Users Licence Agreement which requires me to agree to each time before the programme will launch. Does anyone know how to stop this happening? You registered but did you activate? Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 22:55:54 -0000, "Gunga" <scohen@btinternet.com> wrote: >I have just purchased a PC with Windows Vista already installe...

Office 2007
I have Office 2007 installed on an WinXP machine. I've added to my start menu the following short-cuts: New Microsoft Office Document Open Microsoft Office Document I have a few questions, 1. What is the default location of the files listed in the New Microsoft Office Document window? 2. Can I add tabs to the New Microsofot Office Document window? If so, how? 3. What is the default location for the Open Microsoft Office Document window? Assume I've made no changes to the install of Office 2007. Your assistance and help is greatly appreciated! (B^>)-]=[ ...

Office Macros
What is the latest about when we will be able to upgrade our Office for Mac so that it can run all of our spreadsheets with VB macros? -- "In no part of the constitution is more wisdom to be found, than in the clause which confides the question of war or peace to the legislature, and not to the executive department." - James Madison The only official word from Microsoft is that VBA will return in the next release of Mac Office which is tentatively scheduled for "Holidays 2010" - I take that to mean late 4th quarter of next year. I would not expect to see anything m...

?? Continual Open/Write/Close to CSTdioFile -- is there a better way
Hi I have an error log file (CStdioFile) to which I am logging errors using the WriteString method. However, if the program terminates prematurely, the file is empty (presumably due to lack of a Close being executed) and hence I can't see the key information that my program wrote to the file just prior to crashing I think that I can explicitly Open the file (using CFile::modeCreate | CFile::modeNoTruncate) each time prior to writing a message, then write the message, and then close the file. However, this seems like a lot of unnecessary OS interaction Is there a way to write messages...

Send Exchange 2003 Out of Office Replies to non Exchange mail serv
Hi, I am new here, so please bear with me. I am hoping someone can help me. I have looked and looked and looked for the answer to my question with no luck. I am wondering if it is possible to setup Exchange 2003 Out of Office replies to respond to a non-Exchange mail server within the same domain without opening up to the internet. The reasoning is to prevent spam programs from detecting legit addresses. Main Mail Server for Staff & Faculty: Exchange 2003 Enterprise Edition Main Mail Server for Students: SurgeMail from NetWinSite.com They are in the same domain, but I am wanti...

How do I unhide row 1?
I have bee delivered a worksheet with Rows 1-9 hidden. How do I unhide these rows when I cannot select the rows on both side of the hidden area. Thanx. Select the whole worksheet, Ctrl-A, Format>Row>Unhide. -- HTH Bob Phillips (remove nothere from email address if mailing direct) "DFL" <DFL@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:5A3D5EA1-BB13-4735-BE03-0C26A3CDFBAB@microsoft.com... > I have bee delivered a worksheet with Rows 1-9 hidden. How do I unhide these > rows when I cannot select the rows on both side of the hidden area. > > Thanx. ...

Categories disappeared after upgrade from Office 2k3 to 2k7??
After upgrading from Office 2003 to Office 2007 all of my categories are gone. I still have a complete backup of my system containing Office 2k3 with working categories, is there a way to manually transfer the Categories to Office 2k7? Any help in this area would be completely appreciated. Thx NewsReader2k;115976 Wrote: > After upgrading from Office 2003 to Office 2007 all of my categories > are > gone. > > I still have a complete backup of my system containing Office 2k3 with > working categories, is there a way to manually transfer the Catego...

How do I change the data set on the X axis? (office 2003)
OK, so I created a frequency histogram (bar chart) by selecting the values for the Y-axis, but I can't figure out how to change the values on the X-axis to fit the rest of my values.... When I make the graph using both sets of data, it gives me two separate bar charts on the same plane. Help please :) Thanks Remove the text in the top cell over the x-values; now make the chart. Excel thinks you have two data series best wishes -- Bernard V Liengme Microsoft Excel MVP www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme remove caps from email "jrexattack" <jrexattack@discussions.microsoft.com&...

Opening/importing data from database takes forever after upgrading office!
Hello. I recently reinstalled a users computer and upgraded his office version from 2000 to xp. Now when he imports data from a database it takes forever. It can take several minutes and before the reinstallation the operation only took seconds. What could be wrong? I did the same on his coworkers computer with the same result so there must be something that can solve the problem. I just can't figure it out. The run windows 2000 sp4. Please help. :^) //Johan Anyone? It never hurts to empty the windows temp folder (with excel closed), but it may not help. You may want to take...

office 2003 eula comes up each time you open word,excel

Make Outlook open a reply-to e-mail address
Hi I have a reply-to e-mail address in my inbox and when I click on it my other e-mail program Agent opens How do I configure Outlook to open instead? -- Martin ���� Is Outlook set as your default mail program? Check on the Programs tab of the Control Panel's Internet applet "Martin ���� @nohere.net" wrote in message news:p9gkc457bstk6g6u4f3qqhnt3fdt6mdeee@4ax.com... > > Hi > I have a reply-to e-mail address in my inbox and when I click on it my > other e-mail program Agent opens > How do I configure Outlook to open instead? On Fri, 12 Sep 2008 08:38:43 ...

Workflow Manager 10-16-03
Hi all, I have the same problem as discussed here. But no solution suggested here was successfully :-( I've played with the rights of the workflow service, and so on. Alwyas the same error: "You do not have sufficient rights ...". Any other ideas? Ralf. there is a fix for this - https://www.greatplains.com/customersource/support/downloads/hotfixes/tk29313hotfix.htm "Ralf Eisele" <ralf@extension.net> wrote in message news:uLrQ%2349kDHA.2216@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl... > Hi all, > > I have the same problem as discussed here. But no solution suggested he...

Re-installation of office
I need to re-install office on my pc after resetting the pc to the original settings. HELP! Insert Office cd, install. Dont have cd? ....explain "Lisa Lucey" <Lisa Lucey@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:D935368F-BFC7-4C04-96BA-FEAFABC6E358@microsoft.com... >I need to re-install office on my pc after resetting the pc to the original > settings. HELP! ...

Office 12.2.1 update/Reentering Product Key
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: Intel I attempted to update my Microsoft Office 2008 from 12.2.0 to 12.2.1 today; however, after the installation was complete, when I went to open a Microsoft Office application, an error message appeared stating: "Office for Mac has determined that your product key is not valid. To use Office for Mac, you must enter a valid product key" and refers me to this link: <http://www.microsoft.com/mac/help.mspx?MODE=pv&CTT=PageView&clr=99-0-0&target=f2d51b70-f7d6-4a3c-ae8b-b90597d7530e1033> After deleti...

OWA Problem #10
I have lost the OWA site from IIS. Can't now login to exchenge remotely. Need some help on how to reinstall the Exchange site in IIS. Thanks "lost the OWA site"? Can you provide more detail, please? What version of Exchange server? What happens when you access http://servername/exchange? William Marcus wrote: > I have lost the OWA site from IIS. Can't now login to exchenge remotely. > Need some help on how to reinstall the Exchange site in IIS. > > Thanks > > ...

Office 2003 and mac office
I have a workbook with some macros and such that i made on my XP computer. I sent it to a friend of mine to use, but he has a mac. The macro i made to sort runs into a problem when he runs it, however when he sent me the workbook and i ran the macor it worked fine. It had a 1004 runtime error. Is this a common problem due to it being made on a pc and ran on a mac? what changes need to be made to make it work on a mac? Selection.Sort Key1:=Range("IA3"), Order1:=xlAscending, Header:=xlGuess, _ OrderCustom:=1, MatchCase:=False, Orientation:=xlTopToBottom, _ Da...

installing outlook 04-25-10
I have just installed Mictosoft Office standard 2007 it works fine other than outlook I cannot get outlook to open---as it tells me "Microsoft Exchange in unavailable" I have then three options retry/work off line/cancel the Exchange Server settings my work (university of Washington) gave me do not work and the other two options result in the computer closing. What do I do now? On Sun, 25 Apr 2010 15:46:01 -0700, pjdunbar <pjdunbar@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote: >I have just installed Mictosoft Office standard 2007 it works fine other than > outlo...

Email Router Crashing
Hello, I am having an issue with email router. When the service is started, it is then stopped immediately with the error message: The CRM Email Router on Local Computer started then stopped. Some service stop automatically if they have no work etc etc In the event viewer we get the following error Message: #16192 - The E-mail Router service could not run the service main background thread. The E-mail Router service cannot continue and will now shut down. System.Configuration.ConfigurationErrorsException: The E-mail router service cannot access system state file Microsoft.Crm.Tools.E...

saving as xml
Hi, The following url give you an XML output http://webservices.titantvguide.titantv.com/contentblocks.asmx/TonightOn?registrationKey=g8byqgPai3PYi1i7VOfEcKDfKOeYwmYM is there a way to save this as an xml file on to the server? Thanks in Advance. Regards Manoj Manoj Paramu Das wrote: > is there a way to save this as an xml file on to the server? What's the difference between saving XML file and HTML file? Just create WebRequest, get response stream and save it. -- Oleg Tkachenko XML Insider http://www.tkachenko.com/blog ...