None of the Office 2008 programs will start

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

I don't know why I run upgrades. Everything was running fine last week before I upgraded to Office 12.2.1 (originally installed from a legal disk. We're a legal shop here). I ran the upgrade on 6 different Macs but this one (Intel Mac OS 10.5.8) has come to a complete stop. Entourage and Powerpoint crash immediately and go to the Microsoft Error reporting loop. Word looks started but the first time I click or type anything to it, it goes to the Microsoft Error reporting loop. Excel begins with a "Not enough memory" message before it goes into the reporting loop. This can't be right because I start Excel after a fresh boot and the machine has 4 gigs of ram. Any suggestions?
0
bobinson (3)

On 8/24/09 1:24 PM, in article 59b7adbf.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"bobinson@officeformac.com" <bobinson@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008
> Processor: Intel
>
> I don't know why I run upgrades. Everything was running fine last week before
> I upgraded to Office 12.2.1 (originally installed from a legal disk. We're a
> legal shop here). I ran the upgrade on 6 different Macs but this one (Intel
> Mac OS 10.5.8) has come to a complete stop. Entourage and Powerpoint crash
> immediately and go to the Microsoft Error reporting loop. Word looks started
> but the first time I click or type anything to it, it goes to the Microsoft
> Error reporting loop. Excel begins with a "Not enough memory" message before
> it goes into the reporting loop. This can't be right because I start Excel
> after a fresh boot and the machine has 4 gigs of ram. Any suggestions?

I doubt memory is the problem, but just to verify...how much RAM do you have
installed? How much free space do you have on your drive?

My guess is this computer has the locked folder problem.

Restarting your computer after an update is important!
<http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2009/08/restarting_after_an_update_is_import
ant.html>

You might need to do a re-install after restarting a few times first.

Steps to re-install Office

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/install/reinstall_steps.html>

--
Diane

> I doubt memory is the problem, but just to verify...how much RAM do you have
> installed? How much free space do you have on your drive?
>
> My guess is this computer has the locked folder problem.
>
> Restarting your computer after an update is important!
> ant.html>
>
> You might need to do a re-install after restarting a few times first.
>
> Steps to re-install Office
>

> --
> Diane

A simple re-install with a restart did it. Thanks again Diane. This is about the 4th time your advice has helped me.
0
bobinson (3)
8/26/2009 4:58:54 PM
On 8/26/09 9:58 AM, in article 59b7adbf.1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"bobinson@officeformac.com" <bobinson@officeformac.com> wrote:

> A simple re-install with a restart did it. Thanks again Diane. This is about
> the 4th time your advice has helped me.

Glad it worked.....again. :-)

--
Diane

After the update Office ohhhh 8 won't open on my mac and the so called enhanced print drive feature is driving me crazy since now there is no driver for my HP Laserjet 1020 unless I downgrade to Leopard 10.5

So now I can't print
Nor use word or excel 08
Annnnd Snow Leopard won't install the update for office after installing 5 times and removing from intel core duo mac word just won't launch

Any solution would be great other than re:formating the drive to start over again....Tried installing Roseta but nothing...
0
Hikinglou (1)
9/3/2009 7:09:38 AM
On 9/3/09 12:09 AM, in article 59b7adbf.3@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"Hikinglou@officeformac.com" <Hikinglou@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Any solution would be great other than re:formating the drive to start over
> again....Tried installing Roseta but nothing...

Troubleshooting Office for Mac with Snow Leopard

<http://blog.entourage.mvps.org/2009/09/hot_topics_using_office_for_mac_with
_snow_leopard.html>

In case the above link does not work:

<http://tinyurl.com/ndmt4x>

If your printer driver is not supported this is not going to fix that.

Mac OS X v10.6: Printer and scanner software (this article lists software
provided for printers and scanners in Snow Leopard.)

<http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3669>

--
Diane

Just wanted to report how I fixed this issue - with the help of all the great info on this forum, especially Diane. I was stuck in the error loop and also could not get any updates to recognize there was Office installed, so couldn't do the 12.2.1 upgrade.

1. Did the operating system combined update and restarted (still had issue)
2. Did the repair disk permissions thing several times and restarted (still had the issue)
2. Restarted holding down the shift key and used the uninstall Office feature in the MS Office folder in Applications and emptied the trash, then did a restart holding down the shift key.
3. Installed Office from the disk and let it autoupdate through both service packs and then 12.2.1 (didn't give me an option to restart between, so I didn't)
4. Restarted and everything is fine - yay!

Not sure if they were all needed, but since it works and none of it was hard, I'm happy.

Thanks to those who posted all the suggestions - this place is a great resource!
Thanks for the detailed steps.

When you restarted holding down the Shift key this put you in Safe Boot
Mode. This fixed whatever was stuck showing the update. There is a database
file used by the system that can fail to update.

The not showing a restart after each update, is not a part of the installer.
It's just a recommended step. It sounds like you were in safe boot mode when
you installed. This could have helped to bypass the temporary folder that
can get locked and cause issues.

When I give directions I try to give the safest way for best results even
thought it might not all be necessary, but it doesn't hurt. I would hate for
someone to go through all this and not get updated only to find out that
restarting between updates would have fixed it.

Now if someone could come up with a fix for the webcore crashes.

--
Diane

On 9/12/09 6:55 PM, in article 59b7adbf.5@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"EMWIlliams@officeformac.com" <EMWIlliams@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Just wanted to report how I fixed this issue - with the help of all the great
> info on this forum, especially Diane. I was stuck in the error loop and also
> could not get any updates to recognize there was Office installed, so couldn't
> do the 12.2.1 upgrade.
>
> 1. Did the operating system combined update and restarted (still had issue)
> 2. Did the repair disk permissions thing several times and restarted (still
> had the issue)
> 2. Restarted holding down the shift key and used the uninstall Office feature
> in the MS Office folder in Applications and emptied the trash, then did a
> restart holding down the shift key.
> 3. Installed Office from the disk and let it autoupdate through both service
> packs and then 12.2.1 (didn't give me an option to restart between, so I
> didn't)
> 4. Restarted and everything is fine - yay!
>
> Not sure if they were all needed, but since it works and none of it was hard,
> I'm happy.
>
> Thanks to those who posted all the suggestions - this place is a great
> resource!

Out of office Assistant
This function does not exist on my version of MS Outlook 2000. Knowledge base article 238280 advises how to correct this problem by installing an add-in file "emsuix.ecf", however, it does not exist. Do you know where I can get a copy of this file? In news:046b01c34719$02640650$a101280a@phx.gbl, Will <will@autoca.org> typed: > This function does not exist on my version of MS Outlook > 2000. Knowledge base article 238280 advises how to correct > this problem by installing an add-in file "emsuix.ecf", > however, it does not exist. > > Do you know ...

Can't Import email Date File from Office XP to Office 2003
Sorry for typos in prior post subject line. My HD failed but I had a backup of my Office XP Pro personal file folder with a lot of emails I needed. The file is about 128MB in size. I put a new HD in and installed Office 2003 Pro. When I go to open the old file Outlook 2003 says that the file "is not a personal folders file". (It was backed up to a CD ROM prior to the crash so the source file should be good.) I really don't want to uninstall Office 2003 and put back Office XP. Any idea why 2003 won't open the file and how to work around that? Many thanks in advance to anyone ...

Defaulting a CDateTimeCtrl to none
I am using the CDateTimeCtrl with the allow none thus I get the check mark and the user has to turn it off. How do I default the control to no check mark to start with and the user has to turn it on? Simply call SetTime(). "William Gower" <w_gower@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:eQvSJEa4DHA.2384@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > I am using the CDateTimeCtrl with the allow none thus I get the check mark > and the user has to turn it off. How do I default the control to no check > mark to start with and the user has to turn it on? > > ...

Can't Upgrade Office Mac Student Edition

Start-parameter compose-window
Hi, I'm trying To create a batch file to start only the WLM compose-window in from folder "sendto". I'd like to add an attachment (or more) directly from the Windows directory. I don't want to set WLM as standard. The batchfile should be like this: if %1. == . exit set PARAMS=file:///%1 :loop shift if %1. == . goto send set PARAMS=%PARAMS%,file:///%1 goto loop :send start thunderbird.exe -compose attachment='%PARAMS%' thx Bernd Pietsch ...

Office 2003 pro edition
I can not open files (office 97 and 2000) in my new version of office 2003 professional edition In excel is the next message ""The file can not be opened because your virus scanner has detected a problem with your file In power point ""Power Point can't read c:\......pp In word The file xxxxxxx is nt available What can I do, because is new computer (WinXPpro, with all the patch) and office pro edition 2003 with patch. ...

just to test the program
just to test the program. ...

Confirm Open After Download option being cancelled for Office file
Something is causing the "Confirm Open After Download" box in the advanced area of the Folder Options - Files Types tab to be cleared without my knowledge or permission. This is happening for all Micrsoft Office files types. Several weeks ago my system quit offering me the option to Open, Save, or Cancel downloaded .csv files when I was on the internet and immediately opened the file in Excel. When I went to My Computer - Folder Options - File Types and chose any of the Microsoft office file types I discovered that the when I clicked on the Advanced button the "Confirm...

Office 2001 and Office 2003
I have two users one on a windows XP pro PC using office 2003 and the other on a OS 9 Mac with Office 2003 When the Mac user opens Office files and saves them the PC user can open them with out any problems but when the PC user opens Office file and saves it the Mac user can no longer open it. The file wont open when double clicked or when Opened via word, Excel Ect. The Mac user can only open the file once the creator type has been reset. If any one has any suggestions as to why this keeps happening or knows of any way to work around this I would be really really grateful if they could tel...

Is there an easy way to import the month of January 2008 into my..
Is there an easy way to import the month of January 2008 into my newletter. The month that the template reflects is 2003. I'd rather not have to retype all the numbers each month. I'm sure this is obvious to someone out there. I'm new to Publisher. Thanks anyone who can help. Sharon Hey Sharon, When you have your newsletter or newsletter template opened, when you choose "Page Content" and then under "See also" click on "Insert Page". In the "Insert Newsletter Pages" dialog box there are two drop down boxes (which are probably de...

Money 2004 Deluxe Start error after install
After a fresh install of Money 2004 Deluxe in Windows XP Home I get an error box that says "Microsoft Money has encountered an error and needs to close" There is a box checked that says " Restart Microsoft Money" but it never restarts. Th error signature - AppVer: 12.0.0.613 Mod Name: kernel32.dll Offset: 00013887 Under technical information - Exception information Code: 0xe06d7363 Flags: 0x00000001 Address: 0x0000000077e73887 Is this a Windows error or did I waste my money on a software package. Please help - thanks In microsof...

Can't make my tool bars work in any program
I just purchased MS products, installed them, watched the tutorial to get familiar with new tool bar, but trying to edit an old Word Document, it won't let me. Trying to create a new one, it won't let me, the tool bar selections are all grayed out so I am lost. It has told me several times this product has to be activated, then I follow instructions and it says it is activated over and over and over now and nothing....am I asleep at the wheel? Why won't anything work for me? Am I just a real dumb blonde? -- All guidance is appreciated. Have you activated Office? ...

Reinstall Office 2003 with product key after recovery discs?
How can I get the product key to work in Office 2003 after having to use the recovery discs and a do clean install? I shouldn't have to buy another Microsoft Office. Right?! Thank you in advance. Contact the maker of your computer -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the benefit of others Requests for assistance by email can not and will not be acknowledged. "Usedtofish" <Usedtofish@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3BC11584-364A-48C7-883E-37268500CE3D@microsoft.com... > How can I get the product key to work in Office 2003 after...

error message
I've got a computer that when Outlook is opened it runs an error message that says a program is trying to access the address book and says I should choose for it not to allow access. Has anyone seen this before and know what to do about it. The computer is running Office XP. The knowledge base gives fixes for it but only for Office 97 and later. ??? Please Help. I only have a patch for my palm to override that option, and I'm using Outlook 2003. We tell our users that each software program must come up with a patch to override Outlook security features. >-----Orig...

Office assistant.
How do I change my office assistant if I do not have my disk? infinitysouls, Take a look here: (The following should all be on one line) http://office.microsoft.com/search/results.aspx?Scope=DC&Query=assistants&CTT=6&Origin=EC010331121033 John "infinitysouls" <infinitysouls@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:2f6e01c3e17c$b40ab220$a601280a@phx.gbl... > How do I change my office assistant if I do not have my > disk? ...

out of office reply only delivered ONCE to each user
Hi, when i set up out of office reply for any of my users, replies are only delivered once (per sender)? I've found a KB article on that (157961 http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;157961) but my users are all running windows 2000 (or XP) and outlook 2000 or Express 6 or outlook 2002. Does the same apply for my users? Is there a fix for that? or anything other one can do? Some of the users are getting their email by pop3 accounts, if that could be an issue.. Regards, Agge "A" <news@agge.dk> wrote in message news:uNVeqBQrDHA.2592@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx...

Program Default
I currently have Office and iWork installed...how do I set Office programs to be the default program with office 2008? Hi Moose1, Select a Word doc in the Finder, Get Info by hitting cmd-I, set the Open With to Word and click Change All. Repeat as appropriate for PPT, XL, and .ics files, or whatever you might be using. Moose1@officeformac.com wrote: > I currently have Office and iWork installed...how do I set Office programs to be the default program with office 2008? > ...

macro when there is none
Just recreated a book, that used to have a macro in it. I have not had the time to put the macros into the new version, yet it keeps telling me that it has a macro in it when I go to open the file. I can't seem to find any references to any macros in it. Am I missing something here? Thanks in advance. You must REMOVE the modules that the code was in. -- Don Guillett SalesAid Software dguillett1@austin.rr.com "WylieDude" <redmanz55@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:utROB1tbGHA.5116@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... > Just recreated a book, that used to have a macro in ...

Re: out of office assistant
Unable to activate out of office assistant in outlook 2002. in spite of selecting the add- in functionality it does not appear on the tools menu. Also unable to activate the blind copy field as a default pop up on every email. ...

Office 2008 monaco 9 pt anti aliased
Anyone have 2008 and can get monaco 9pt and tell me if it is not busted like it was in the Office 2004? Anyone who has 2008 legally is not allowed to tell you anything. Anyone who has 2008 "illegally" is unlikely to admit it where the police are watching, now are they? :-) On 9/11/07 6:13 PM, in article 1194592426.391034.177780@k35g2000prh.googlegroups.com, "formulateaffinity" <formulateaffinity@gmail.com> wrote: Anyone have 2008 and can get monaco 9pt and tell me if it is not busted like it was in the Office 2004? -- Don't wait for your answer, click he...

Access Runtime 2000 prevents office updates
Hi, I have a strange problem that's been bothering me for a long time. I've finally gotten it narrowed down, but can't find anything else about this on the web. I'm using an application that uses Access Runtime 2000 (developed by someone else.) After I install this application, I can no longer use Office Updates. It'll get to about the 88% mark, then gives me the "Office update is unable to check for updates" screen. If I use "add/remove programs" and remove the Runtime 2000 environment, the updater works just fine. Any thoughts on how I can fix the en...

microsoft office has not been installed for the current user
i'm getting the following message when i try to open any program within office 2007. " microsoft office has not been installed for the current user" windows 7 operating system ...

Office 2003 #3
I installed Microsoft Office 2003 and cannot create, reply or forward email. I am receiveing the error message "The messaging interface has returned an unknown error. If the problem persists, restart Outlook. I have applied all of the updates for Office 2003. I'm having the exact same problem...same message. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling, as well. No help! >-----Original Message----- >I installed Microsoft Office 2003 and cannot create, reply >or forward email. I am receiveing the error message "The >messaging interface has returned an unknown e...

Can a register automate a memo for none attendance?
I use excel as register to tally attendance in lectures and tutorials. We have been requested to send an e-mail to a personnel tutor of students if the student fails in attending two consecutive sessions. We enter attendance as either a 1 or a 0 in a horizontal row. I want to automate a response so any students name is generated who gets two consecutive 0’s. I could then cut and paste this into an email. I would like this not to interfere with a formula to give a final attendance total and the end of the row. I use Microsoft EXcell 2002-SP-2 Please can anyone help? I may have some time t...

Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook #2
Windows did an automatic update and when it restarted, I got the message "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. Cannot open the Outlook window." I ran the command "Outlook.exe /resetnavpane" then I got the message: "Cannot start Microsoft Office Outlook. The command line argument is not valid. Verify the switch you are using." Does anyone have a remedy to this? Please help! Thanks! What version of Outlook? "go4life" <thmickens@verizon.net> wrote in message news:75687118-60e9-45a1-9826-2a674affed19@j9g2000vbp.googlegroups.com... > Windo...