MS OFFICE FOR MAC

Operating System: Mac OS X 10.4 (Tiger)
Processor: Intel

Hi there lovely people,

I am gobsmacked as I accepted today a MS Office update for my Imac and now I cannot open any MS Office application...? I use Entourage daily for email where I have all my folders (Does this mean I will loose all those folders?) I am a wedding planner and I have lots of email templates, and inmportant info in there...

Can anyone help, please?
I'm desperate because I am in the middle of the wedding planning season...

Many thanks
S. Segura
0
Solemio (5)

On 8/18/09 10:26 AM, in article 59b7a7ce.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"Solemio@officeformac.com" <Solemio@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I am gobsmacked as I accepted today a MS Office update for my Imac and now I
> cannot open any MS Office application...? I use Entourage daily for email
> where I have all my folders (Does this mean I will loose all those folders?) I
> am a wedding planner and I have lots of email templates, and inmportant info
> in there...

What version of Entourage? What update did you apply? Look under About
Entourage.

What happens when you try to open?

You mail should be OK. Updates do not touch the Microsoft User Data folder
where your data is stored.

Just guessing, it sounds like you did not restart and your update was
unsuccessful.

Steps to re-install Office

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/install/reinstall_steps.html>

--
Diane

I am having the same issue. Although, it seems to have started after an OS update, not an Office update. I am now running Mac OS X Version 10.5.8...when I upgraded from 10.5.7 that's when I started to notice the issue. What happens is when you attempt to launch any of the Office programs...you get the launch screen but then it immediately fails and the Microsoft Error Reporting screen pops up with the following output:

Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

Error Signature:
Exception: EXC_BAD_ACCESS
Date/Time: 2009-08-18 18:41:37 -0400
Application Name: Microsoft Excel
Application Bundle ID: com.microsoft.Excel
Application Signature: XCEL
Application Version: 12.2.0.090605
Crashed Module Name: libobjc.A.dylib
Crashed Module Version: unknown
Crashed Module Offset: 0x00015688
Blame Module Name: libobjc.A.dylib
Blame Module Version: unknown
Blame Module Offset: 0x00015688
Application LCID: 1033
Extra app info: Reg=en Loc=0x0409

Thread 0 crashed:

# 1 0x91314688 in .objc_class_name_List + 0x9120C548 (libobjc.A.dylib + 0x00015688)
# 2 0x90e1153a in .objc_class_name_HICocoaWindowContentView + 0x905ACFDA (AppKit + 0x0036053a)
# 3 0x015d4d83 in _McpGetFileTimeFromUTCDateTime + 0x00000E63 (MicrosoftComponentPlugin + 0x00176d83)
# 4 0x014d759c in _McpIsFontMenuUpToDate + 0x00000E76 (MicrosoftComponentPlugin + 0x0007959c)
# 5 0x014daa48 in _McpRunFontMenuIdleTasks + 0x0000005C (MicrosoftComponentPlugin + 0x0007ca48)
# 6 0x014daabe in _McpRunFontMenuIdleTasks + 0x000000D2 (MicrosoftComponentPlugin + 0x0007cabe)
# 7 0x014daaf8 in _McpGetFontMenu + 0x00000020 (MicrosoftComponentPlugin + 0x0007caf8)
# 8 0x0051b317 in __mh_execute_header + 0x0051A317 (Microsoft Excel + 0x0051a317)
# 9 0x00886fc6 in __mh_execute_header + 0x00885FC6 (Microsoft Excel + 0x00885fc6)
# 10 0x008878db in __mh_execute_header + 0x008868DB (Microsoft Excel + 0x008868db)
# 11 0x00885ea2 in __mh_execute_header + 0x00884EA2 (Microsoft Excel + 0x00884ea2)
# 12 0x0000246e in __mh_execute_header + 0x0000146E (Microsoft Excel + 0x0000146e)
# 13 0x00002395 in __mh_execute_header + 0x00001395 (Microsoft Excel + 0x00001395)

X86 Thread State:
 eax: 0x042dec80 ebx: 0x90e1166a ecx: 0x913b4aa8 edx:0x000006eb
 edi: 0x042e0790 esi: 0xa01560ac ebp: 0xbfffee08 esp:0xbfffec68
  ss: 0x0000001f eip: 0x91314688 cs: 0x00000017 ds:0x0000001f
  es: 0x0000001f fs: 0x00000000 gs: 0x00000037 eflags:0x00010202

Thread 1:

# 1 0x96e623a6 in _signgam + 0x96CBB482 (libSystem.B.dylib + 0x000013a6)
# 2 0x96ee9eab in _signgam + 0x96D42F87 (libSystem.B.dylib + 0x00088eab)
# 3 0x02117d7d in _MerpCreateSession + 0x00000B07 (merp + 0x00002d7d)
# 4 0x021173e5 in _MerpCreateSession + 0x0000016F (merp + 0x000023e5)
# 5 0x0211746c in _MerpCreateSession + 0x000001F6 (merp + 0x0000246c)
# 6 0x02117f25 in _MerpCreateSession + 0x00000CAF (merp + 0x00002f25)
# 7 0x96e93155 in _signgam + 0x96CEC231 (libSystem.B.dylib + 0x00032155)
# 8 0x96e93012 in _signgam + 0x96CEC0EE (libSystem.B.dylib + 0x00032012)

X86 Thread State:
 eax: 0xffffffa6 ebx: 0x96ed9287 ecx: 0xb00a0a5c edx:0x96e623a6
 edi: 0x00000530 esi: 0xd18d6982 ebp: 0xb00a0ac8 esp:0xb00a0a5c
  ss: 0x0000001f eip: 0x96e623a6 cs: 0x00000007 ds:0x0000001f
  es: 0x0000001f fs: 0x0000001f gs: 0x00000037 eflags:0x00000206

Thread 2:

# 1 0x96e6946e in _signgam + 0x96CC254A (libSystem.B.dylib + 0x0000846e)
# 2 0x96e93dcd in _signgam + 0x96CECEA9 (libSystem.B.dylib + 0x00032dcd)
# 3 0x9575f450 in __CMProfileID + 0x9568C32C (ColorSync + 0x00033450)
# 4 0x95771d8e in __CMProfileID + 0x9569EC6A (ColorSync + 0x00045d8e)
# 5 0x96e93155 in _signgam + 0x96CEC231 (libSystem.B.dylib + 0x00032155)
# 6 0x96e93012 in _signgam + 0x96CEC0EE (libSystem.B.dylib + 0x00032012)

X86 Thread State:
 eax: 0x0000014e ebx: 0x96e93ded ecx: 0xb012be7c edx:0x96e6946e
 edi: 0x048633a4 esi: 0xb012c000 ebp: 0xb012bef8 esp:0xb01
0
joeyo (1)
8/18/2009 10:43:15 PM
Well, it initially said "Office for Mac has found your key to be invalid" (something like that) . I then followed the procedure to re-enter it, I completed it, however it's still not working.
I have re-installed Office 2008 from CD and although Word, Excel, and Pwpt do open, it still says "there is a problem with the database" I have also rebuilt the databases AND when I attempt to open Entourage it says "this identity cannot be opened with this version of Entourage" . I have checked for updates and installed, rebooted and it's still saying the same.

What else should I do? I have tried everything I could think of...

Many, many thanks for your help !!! I'm in London, but I'll stay up tonight until I sort this out, since I've already lost a day's work and really needed to work to be able to continue tomorrow am...

Thanks again
S. Segura
0
Solemio (5)
8/18/2009 10:46:26 PM
On 8/18/09 3:46 PM, in article 59b7a7ce.2@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"Solemio@officeformac.com" <Solemio@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I have re-installed Office 2008 from CD and although Word, Excel, and Pwpt do
> open, it still says "there is a problem with the database" I have also rebuilt
> the databases AND when I attempt to open Entourage it says "this identity
> cannot be opened with this version of Entourage" . I have checked for updates
> and installed, rebooted and it's still saying the same.

"This Identity Cannot Be Opened With This Version of Entourage"
This message usually means, for example, any Identity saved with a 12.1.0 or
later version will not open in 12.0.0 or 12.0.1. Since there was a database
format change in 12.1.0 (SP1), Entourage  12.0.0 cannot open a database
saved in the later version. Once you upgrade, the Identity will open.

1) You might want to run the Apple combo updater again. You can run it
without reverting to the prior version. Restart at least twice after
updating.

2) After you do this, do a re-install of Office AND start with a new
Microsoft User Data folder.

Move the Microsoft User Data folder to the desktop. Do a re-install
following the steps on this page:

Steps to re-install Office (this includes updates)

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/install/reinstall_steps.html>

Open Entourage in the new Microsoft User Data folder. If you get no errors,
then quit Entourage and drag from the desktop Microsoft User Data folder
your Main Identity and replace the blank Identity. Open Entourage. It will
open in your old Identity. Let me know what happens. (keeping fingers
crossed no errors!)

--
Diane

On 8/18/09 3:43 PM, in article 59b7a7ce.1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"joeyo@officeformac.com" <joeyo@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I am having the same issue. Although, it seems to have started after an OS
> update, not an Office update. I am now running Mac OS X Version 10.5.8...when
> I upgraded from 10.5.7 that's when I started to notice the issue. What happens
> is when you attempt to launch any of the Office programs...you get the launch
> screen but then it immediately fails and the Microsoft Error Reporting screen
> pops up with the following output:

I suggest running the Apple combo again. It's OK to run over the same
version. Restart at least twice after running the combo.

Next, do a re-install of Office 2008. Follow the directions here:

Steps to re-install Office

<http://www.entourage.mvps.org/install/reinstall_steps.html>

Let me know if this helps. Personally, I've had some odd issues after
updating to 10.5.8 and had to reapply the combo. There is something with the
10.5.8 combo that seems to be causing problems and for me, my issues seemed
to be fixed by a re-do.

--
Diane

On 8/18/09 3:43 PM, in article 59b7a7ce.1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"joeyo@officeformac.com" <joeyo@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Microsoft Error Reporting log version: 2.0

Feedback on the partial error seems to indicate that 10.5.8 is involved.

The Forum doesn't allow for posting a full log. You can send me full logs
off list, or use a newsreader to access this newsgroup. (note: the mactopia
forums are just an interface to the newsgroup). There is no limit on a
newsreader message.

If you use a newsreader rather than the Mactopia interface to this newsgroup
you can download old messages and search for answers.  If you are not
familiar with a newsreader, Entourage's basic newsreader already has the
Microsoft News server included. All you do is subscribe to the newsgroups
you want. See this article for help subscribing using the Entourage
newsreader:

<http://tinyurl.com/beds97>

--
Diane

Diane,

Many thanks.

I have tried looking for a new update (the computer said it's fully updated) on line.

When I'm about to install it, I get this message:
"You cannot install Entourage 2008, web services edition update on this volume. A version on the software required to install this update was not found on this volume" (by volume it's referring to my hard drive, which shows up with a red exclamation) .

It does not allow to continue.

....?

Thanks, you are like a fairy godmother!

S. Segura
0
Solemio (5)
8/18/2009 11:52:51 PM
>2) After you do this, do a re-install of Office AND start with a new
Microsoft User Data folder.>

Diane,

Please pardon my ignorance... How do I start with a new Microsoft User Data folder?
Thank you so much in advance

S. Segura
0
Solemio (5)
8/19/2009 12:27:36 AM
> >2) After you do this, do a re-install of Office AND start with a new
> Microsoft User Data folder.>
>
> Diane,
>
> Please pardon my ignorance... How do I start with a new Microsoft User Data folder?
> Thank you so much in advance
>
> S. Segura

Ok, I'm stuck and not getting anywhere and it's 01:30am over here, so I'll read our replies tomorrow in about 7 hrs.

Thank you very much, I really appreciate your help

S. Segura
0
Solemio (5)
8/19/2009 12:36:03 AM
On 8/18/09 4:52 PM, in article 59b7a7ce.6@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"Solemio@officeformac.com" <Solemio@officeformac.com> wrote:

> When I'm about to install it, I get this message:
> "You cannot install Entourage 2008, web services edition update on this
> volume. A version on the software required to install this update was not
> found on this volume" (by volume it's referring to my hard drive, which shows
> up with a red exclamation) .

Do you have an Exchange account? If not, then you don't need EWS. This is
for Exchange users.

> Please pardon my ignorance... How do I start with a new Microsoft User Data
> folder?
> Thank you so much in advance

Drag the Microsoft User Data folder out of Documents to the desktop. When
Entourage opens the next time it will create a new one with a blank
Identity.

See you online tomorrow.

--
Diane

MS Office 97 to MS Office 2007

Office apps close
The Office 2008 apps keep closing down by themselves! The app closes and then a message comes up asking if I want to Send my problem's information and if I want to Recover my work. What can I do to stop this? Is this because of my Office 2008 intallation or is it my Mac? Normally, it is caused by broken documents. If someone has been hacking and chopping in the documents, they can break the internal code so the application can't read them. Which format are you using? How were the documents created? Which OS are you using? Which processor? On 11/02/08 4:54 PM, in article ee8cf3c....

MS Outlook 2007

Office assistant error
Hi everyone, I only joined today so easy on me!!!!!! We have Outlook 2003 and Office 2000 SP3 intalled and receive the following error when Outlook is opened and then try to open any other applications, i'e word, excell "The office assistant could not be started. Please repair the assistant by running office 2000 setup and selecting repair office 2000". Running repair does not make the error message stop. The office assistant works in all applications the error message just keeps popping up. If I open word or excell on their own it's not a proble as soon as outlook 2003 is...

MS Exange connection

Address Word Letter X for Office 2004?
I've been unable to get the Address Word Letter X script to work on my new version of Office 2004. The Prefs script won't recognize my stationery file (it's grayed out). Did the revisions for scripting in Office 2004 break the script? Is there a workaround? Thanks, Steven Hi Steven, What script is this? Did you check macscripter.net to see if a new version is out? If not, your best bet is probably to go back to the ReadMe on the script and see if you can email the script writer and ask them about it. Or you could try opening up the script looking for anything obviously ...

How do I do word count in MS Publisher?

MS Money 2005 Basics

MS CRM Certification question

MS Access

My Excel file won't close on my Mac

Outlook's Out of office Assistant #2
When turning on Outlook's Out of office Assistant, Internally I get response from Out of office, however no response to the outside world. How do you allow resonses from senders outsde of you exchange system? The Exchange administrator needs to turn the option on via Exchange Administrator (Exchange 5.5) or Exchange System Manager (Exchange 2000/2003). If you are the Exchange administrator, can you post what version of Exchange? /neo ps - warning: enabling out of office notification to the internet can introduce mail loops. "Jason" <Jason@discussions.microsoft.com&g...

Restarting MS Money with a "correction" switch
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_003B_01C3DDDC.D92AA4A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I currently use version 10 - 2002 Deluxe, and I need to startup MS Money = with a correction switch that I hope will correct some problems that I = have been having, but I can't seem to locate the post that talks about doing = this. Is it "msmoney.exe /s"? --=20 Russell (if replying, replace nospam with rpottharst) ------=_NextPart_000_003B_01C3DDDC.D92AA4A0 Content-Type: text/html; c...

Starting MS Outlook on startup
How can I start Outlook on startup (XP) and keep it running in the back? >-----Original Message----- >How can I start Outlook on startup (XP) and keep it running in the back? > > >. > All you need to do is move the Outlook program icon to the startup group in XP. >-----Original Message----- >How can I start Outlook on startup (XP) and keep it running in the back? > > >. >Double click My Computer, go into the C:\Documents and Settings\User\Start Menu\Programs\Startup Place an Outlook shortcut into this folder and it will automatically startup when...

Out of office #3
I am enable to access the option of "out of office assistance" When I go on the HELP on OUTLOOK for this option...this is what it tells me: Automatically reply to incoming messages while out of the office On the Tools menu, click Out of Office Assistant. Click I am currently Out of the Office. In the AutoReply only once to each sender with the following text box, type the message you want to send to others while you are out. For information about how to use rules with the Out of Office Assistant, click Well when I go to my TOOLS on my outlook, the "Out of Office Ass...

Alternative to Ms sql server 2005 express edition
Hello Everyone, Our server hosting providers are saying that our web site is running slow because we are using ms sql server 2005 express edition which is a free edition and had only a capacity of handling up to 4 GB data. And our database which we are currently using is now having more than 4.5 GB. Hence they recommended us to go for a paid one that is specialized edition workgroup and gave us the following link http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/editions.aspx to go through the comparison. The hosting providers says that it will be around 4500 rupees per month for ...

MS Word Problem
Hello people following problem: in a MFC MDI application one also shall Being displayed Word97 document. And but not in an external program but as a one prayed OLE object. I have managed this. The following problem lets itself be seen now: if I maximize/reduce the main window the visible range of the Word document shall adapt the visible doesn't become however if I maximize the object frame of the OLE object Range of the document changed but Word zoom lens the document. To this the one prayed window is placed so for this these force Word-Scrollbalken are no longer visible. I can ...

Out of office problems!
We have recently restored a number of mailboxes to our exchange 5.5 org, by creating new mailboxes and then restoring the data to it.. I have now noticed that the restored mailboxes can't use the out of office. Their are no error messages but the sender is not send an out of office message mail by the system. Users who's mailboxes weren't resotred aren't noticing these problems. Does any one have any ideas? Any help gratefully received.... Try creating a new Outlook profile. Sometimes the rules get corrupted when you try to use a existing profile. You can use a tool call...

Have office for 95
if so, how? Thanks! No. Not unless you have a very generous friend who is willing to buy you a copy. Tom Wickerath Microsoft Access MVP http://www.accessmvp.com/TWickerath/ http://www.access.qbuilt.com/html/expert_contributors.html __________________________________________ "bg" wrote: > Have office for 95 - can I get 2007 for my new pc for free? > if so, how? Thanks! ...

Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB981715)
This update gets error code 646. What must I delete to STOP it from attempting to update? What must be changed to eliminate error code 646? -- Full-Time RVer "RVer" wrote: > This update gets error code 646. > What must I delete to STOP it from attempting to update? > What must be changed to eliminate error code 646? > -- > Full-Time RVer I got the same error. I'm using a new fresh copy of Windows 7. I did a manual download and it seems there is a license agreement but I wasn't given the opertunity to accept it during the automatic...

MS Money Planner file
Hello I have a problem in MS Money 2004. Each time I open money I get the following error: "A file needed to run the Planner is either missing or corrupted. To resolve this problem, re-install money and then re open your money file". I have tried doing this but still keep getting the same error. Can anyone please advise? Thanks and a Happy New Year to all you kind souls out there. Dave Hello Glyn That seems to work for me. Thanks for taking the time and trouble to reply. Much appreciated. Hope you have a happy & prosperous New Year. Regards Dave "Glyn Simpso...

ms outlook: unable to find default email folder
on opening outlook it says;UNABLE TO OPEN DEFAULT FOLDERS. THE REQUESTED INFORMATION COULD OT BE FOUND IN THE ACTIVE PROFILE. On clicking ok it says; WOULD YOU LIKE TO OPEN YOUR DEFAULT FILE SYSYTEM FOLDER INSTEAD. Please help whats causing this. thanks "=?Utf-8?B?c2hheWFuOTk=?=" <shayan99@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in news:CEC2AC86-64EF-4684-A6EA-C3D3AEC3A9BC@microsoft.com: > on opening outlook it says;UNABLE TO OPEN DEFAULT FOLDERS. THE REQUESTED > INFORMATION COULD OT BE FOUND IN THE ACTIVE PROFILE. > On clicking ok it says; WOULD YOU LIKE TO OPEN YOUR ...