MS Access for Mac?

Bought my 1st Mac this week & purchased Office 2004 Pro for it.

I was surprised to find that it doesn't include Access.

When I asked the vendor to check, he told me that he doesn't think Access is
available for Macs.

Can this be true?

Is there any viable alternative?

TIA,

Phil Sharpe

0
Phil

"Phil Sharpe" <a@b.com> a �crit dans le message de
> Bought my 1st Mac this week & purchased Office 2004 Pro for it.
>
> I was surprised to find that it doesn't include Access.
>
> When I asked the vendor to check, he told me that he doesn't think Access
is
> available for Macs.
>
> Can this be true?
>
> Is there any viable alternative?

    yes, it's true. for long time, one of the best data base on mac is
filemaker.
    and acces is not a realy good program.

    welcome to switch !

In article <#DrsFs8IFHA.1948@TK2MSFTNGP14.phx.gbl>,
 "Phil Sharpe" <a@b.com> wrote:

> Bought my 1st Mac this week & purchased Office 2004 Pro for it.
>
> I was surprised to find that it doesn't include Access.

Microsoft has determined that porting Access would be uneconomical.

> When I asked the vendor to check, he told me that he doesn't think Access is
> available for Macs.
>
> Can this be true?

It's true. You can run Access in VPC, but it will never be native Mac.

> Is there any viable alternative?

Filemaker Pro and 4D are both outstanding cross-platform database apps.
You can also use MySQL or another SQL flavor.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
3/8/2005 3:49:48 PM
Hi Phil,

Although MS Access does not come with Office Pro for the Mac, you do
have the ability to run Windows operating system on your Mac. So if you
already have a copy of MS Access it will work just fine in the virtual PC.

If you don't already own MS Access you will need to purchase a copy.

-Jim

--
Jim Gordon
Mac MVP

Phil Sharpe wrote:
> Bought my 1st Mac this week & purchased Office 2004 Pro for it.
>
> I was surprised to find that it doesn't include Access.
>
> When I asked the vendor to check, he told me that he doesn't think Access is
> available for Macs.
>
> Can this be true?
>
> Is there any viable alternative?
>

> TIA,
>
> Phil Sharpe

0
goldkey74 (611)
3/8/2005 9:56:45 PM

> Filemaker Pro and 4D are both outstanding cross-platform database apps.
> You can also use MySQL or another SQL flavor.

There is another often overlooked database for the Mac, Panorama. I've been
using it for years. It's lightning fast, fully programmable, and later this
year will be cross platform.  Check it out at:
http://www.provue.com/home.html

--
Bob Greenblatt [MVP], Macintosh
bobgreenblattATmsnDOTcom

0
bob6686 (387)
3/8/2005 10:28:35 PM
In article <BE539143.35EDD%bob@nospam.com>,
 Bob Greenblatt <bob@nospam.com> wrote:

> There is another often overlooked database for the Mac, Panorama. I've been
> using it for years. It's lightning fast, fully programmable, and later this
> year will be cross platform.  Check it out at:
> http://www.provue.com/home.html

The web site says

> Seamless cross platform operation lets you develop and deploy on
> both PC and Mac systems.

The primary hesitation I would have with it is that it's RAM based -
while that makes it lightning fast, it also makes it somewhat more
vulnerable, and more limited for large databases (I typically run with
less than 300MB or so of free RAM on my 1GB PB). For smaller DBs it
sounds great.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
3/9/2005 12:57:29 AM
On 3/8/05 7:57 PM, in article
jemcgimpsey-6F66B0.17572908032005@msnews.microsoft.com, "JE McGimpsey"
<jemcgimpsey@mvps.org> wrote:

> In article <BE539143.35EDD%bob@nospam.com>,
>  Bob Greenblatt <bob@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> There is another often overlooked database for the Mac, Panorama. I've been
>> using it for years. It's lightning fast, fully programmable, and later this
>> year will be cross platform.  Check it out at:
>> http://www.provue.com/home.html
>
> The web site says
>
>> Seamless cross platform operation lets you develop and deploy on
>> both PC and Mac systems.
>
> The primary hesitation I would have with it is that it's RAM based -
> while that makes it lightning fast, it also makes it somewhat more
> vulnerable, and more limited for large databases (I typically run with
> less than 300MB or so of free RAM on my 1GB PB). For smaller DBs it
> sounds great.

Indeed, I have not been implementing corporate solutions with it. But it's
great for small business applications like Access's Northwinds, and mailing
lists, etc.

--
Bob Greenblatt [MVP], Macintosh
bobgreenblattATmsnDOTcom

0
bob6686 (387)

Access & XML
Anyone know of a decent Training Site for using XML w/ Access? A Client is willing (pay the cost) to send me to XML Training. I would be using SQL Server & Cognos (perhaps Oracle) XML Tables into Access. Then automating Reports to Excel. TIA - Bob ...

MS Office 97 to MS Office 2007

MS Outlook 2007

MS Exange connection

How do I do word count in MS Publisher?

MS CRM Certification question

How do i access microsoft excel on windows xp? #2
I recently purchased a pc that came with windows xp home. I thought the microsoft excel programme would come with it, but i can not find it anywhere. Does this mean i have to purchase it seperately? Yes; or as part of Microsoft Office. "ayanda" wrote: > I recently purchased a pc that came with windows xp home. I thought the > microsoft excel programme would come with it, but i can not find it anywhere. > Does this mean i have to purchase it seperately? ...

MS Money 2005 Basics

exchange 2003 email access
Can I setup exchange 2003 clients to login to it as apposed to being authenticated by the DOMAIN? I have two domains in diferrent locations but want to share one exchange and accessed by IP address as apposed to the computer name. Thanks, Raul Rego rrego@njpies.org Can you explain what you're trying to achieve a little more? Are you trying to get users from domain A to access an exchange server in domain B? "Raul Rego" wrote: > Can I setup exchange 2003 clients to login to it as apposed to being > authenticated by the DOMAIN? > > I have two domains in di...

Problem with TransferSpreadsheet in Access 2007
I'm having a problem with the TransferSpreadsheet method in Access 2007. The TransferSpreadsheet method is exporting a query to Excel, and it has been working fine under Access 2002. Under 2007, however, Access seems to truncate up some of the query column names, with the result that Access doesn't recognize them and prompts me for values for those columns. The problem is reproducible, occurring on the same columns every time. If I open the query directly the column names are fine and it exports to Excel with no problems; it seems to happen only with the TransferSpreadsheet meth...

Access 2003 >> Access 2007 (Run-time error 2467)
Hi. I'm trying out how our access 2003 applications work in access 2007. Unfortunately, lots of forms refuse to open. Where the error occures is Form_Current event, which contains something like std = "SELECT ....." Me.Subform_Name![Field Name].RowSource = std The program reports an error: "Run-time error '2467': The expression you entered refers to an object that is closed or doesn't exist." Anyone has any ideas how to fix this? Technically, that shouldn't work in Access 2003 either, but it wasn't quite as sticky about the syntax. To refer t...

MS Access

Helo command rejected: Access denied
Hi all, I got a problem when i try to send message, the error message as below : Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients. Subject: testing Sent: 29/7/2004 11:55 The following recipient(s) could not be reached: 'support@xxx.COM' on 29/7/2004 11:56 The recipient name is not recognized The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a= ;p=xxx (HK) Lt;l=xxxEX01-040729035523Z-29495 MSEXCH:IMS:xxx(HK) Ltd.:TDHK:xxxEX01 3554 (000B09B6) 554 <xxxex01.xxx.com>: Helo command rejected: Access denied ...

My Excel file won't close on my Mac

Access 2003 Report won't attach to an email message.
I have placed the following code behind a command button. DoCmd.SendObject acReport, "rptPO_EmailViewOnly", "HTML(*.html)", Forms!frmMain!sfrmPOMultiTAB!frmPOHeaderViewer!SupplierEmailAddress, "", "", "Purchase Order", "", True, "" The problem is once the email message is generated the report attachment is not added to the message. To try and fix the problem, I installed Office 2003 SP3. After that, the attachment worked but is not able to be opened, I get an error message "The operation failed due to network or ...

Starting MS Outlook on startup
How can I start Outlook on startup (XP) and keep it running in the back? >-----Original Message----- >How can I start Outlook on startup (XP) and keep it running in the back? > > >. > All you need to do is move the Outlook program icon to the startup group in XP. >-----Original Message----- >How can I start Outlook on startup (XP) and keep it running in the back? > > >. >Double click My Computer, go into the C:\Documents and Settings\User\Start Menu\Programs\Startup Place an Outlook shortcut into this folder and it will automatically startup when...

Restarting MS Money with a "correction" switch
This is a multi-part message in MIME format. ------=_NextPart_000_003B_01C3DDDC.D92AA4A0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1" Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable I currently use version 10 - 2002 Deluxe, and I need to startup MS Money = with a correction switch that I hope will correct some problems that I = have been having, but I can't seem to locate the post that talks about doing = this. Is it "msmoney.exe /s"? --=20 Russell (if replying, replace nospam with rpottharst) ------=_NextPart_000_003B_01C3DDDC.D92AA4A0 Content-Type: text/html; c...

Tractor Fed Labels in Access 2002 on Okidata ML591
I am trying to print Model Name, technical data, and serial number on one label for each unit we produce. We do about 200 per day. The Tools: Access 2002 and Okidata Microline 591. I create a table with the data, and one row for each label I want to print. The serial numbers are the only difference in each row. I created a Report in Access with the LABEL Wizard and defined all the parameters. I Load the label roll into the Okidata ML591 and begin to print. After 6 labels it skips 1.25 inches, throws off all the alignment onto the Custom Printed Label Stock and now I have to stop; reset t...

Alternative to Ms sql server 2005 express edition
Hello Everyone, Our server hosting providers are saying that our web site is running slow because we are using ms sql server 2005 express edition which is a free edition and had only a capacity of handling up to 4 GB data. And our database which we are currently using is now having more than 4.5 GB. Hence they recommended us to go for a paid one that is specialized edition workgroup and gave us the following link http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/2008/en/us/editions.aspx to go through the comparison. The hosting providers says that it will be around 4500 rupees per month for ...

MS Word Problem
Hello people following problem: in a MFC MDI application one also shall Being displayed Word97 document. And but not in an external program but as a one prayed OLE object. I have managed this. The following problem lets itself be seen now: if I maximize/reduce the main window the visible range of the Word document shall adapt the visible doesn't become however if I maximize the object frame of the OLE object Range of the document changed but Word zoom lens the document. To this the one prayed window is placed so for this these force Word-Scrollbalken are no longer visible. I can ...

calendar access in exchange 2003 and in owa 2003
Hi What is the easiest way to allow company wide access to everyone's calendar? Also is it possible to open other users calendars with owa in exchange 2003? Also have a user who cant open a public folder,but everyone else can,any clues?There is full control on permissions for this user. thanks mark wrote: > Hi > What is the easiest way to allow company wide access to > everyone's calendar? Everyone needs to share their calendar and assign permissions appropriately (best to set permissions via groups, not individual users) > Also is it possible to open other users ca...

can't access mailbox
Some of our remote mailbox (over branch office vpn) can't access exchange mailbox in Outlook ... Please provide more information. Could mailboxes ever be accessed? Does DNS resolution work across VPN? Can you ping hostname and FQDN? Are there any ports not open through the VPN? What version of Outlook? Exchange? -- Ben Winzenz Exchange MVP MessageOne "info@u-s-tech.com" <infoustechcom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3AF39F3E-EFFB-47BE-963E-7D93837A6F00@microsoft.com... > Some of our remote mailbox (over branch office vpn) can't acces...