Migrating Office X files to Windows SBS 2k3

I have a situation with migrating some older Office X files to a new Windows
Small-Biz Server 2003 environment. It seems that the person I am working with
did not use the "Append file extensions" option when saving his Office X
files on his Mac server (10.2.8).

So now I have a situation where I need to move these extension-less files
over to the Windows server but they will lose thier file associations. Is
there anyway to save this extension "metadata" to convert these files on the
Windows side? I have about 20GB of data to migrate and manually opening each
file with "open with" really is not an option.
0
InforSean (1)

I would be surprised if that mattered.  Windows Word doesn't care about file
extensions, and neither does Windows XP.

The file type and creator code are still buried in the file header (in the
first 500 bytes).  That's what both Windows and Word will use to determine
what the file is.

So while they will have blank icons, they should open in any
correctly-configured copy of Office, on either Windows or Mac clients.

Cheers

On 22/2/07 3:07 AM, in article
E5FDA472-FC32-4938-8DD2-02ABF0D7FDCE@microsoft.com, "InforSean"

--

Please reply to the newsgroup to maintain the thread.  Please do not email
me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie <john@mcghie.name>
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh.  Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

-1
john7143 (1073)
2/22/2007 8:33:43 AM
On Feb 22, 9:33 am, "John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]"
<j...@mcghie.name> wrote:
> I would be surprised if that mattered.  Windows Word doesn't care about file
> extensions, and neither does Windows XP.
>
> The file type and creator code are still buried in the file header (in the
> first 500 bytes).  That's what both Windows and Word will use to determine
> what the file is.
>
> So while they will have blank icons, they should open in any
> correctly-configured copy of Office, on either Windows or Mac clients.
>
> Cheers
>
> On 22/2/07 3:07 AM, in article
> E5FDA472-FC32-4938-8DD2-02ABF0D7F...@microsoft.com, "InforSean"
>
> <InforS...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > I have a situation with migrating some older Office X files to a new Windows
> > Small-Biz Server 2003 environment. It seems that the person I am working with
> > did not use the "Append file extensions" option when saving his Office X
> > files on his Mac server (10.2.8).
>
> > So now I have a situation where I need to move these extension-less files
> > over to the Windows server but they will lose thier file associations. Is
> > there anyway to save this extension "metadata" to convert these files on the
> > Windows side? I have about 20GB of data to migrate and manually opening each
> > file with "open with" really is not an option.
>
> --
>
> Please reply to the newsgroup to maintain the thread.  Please do not email
> me unless I ask you to.
>
> John McGhie <j...@mcghie.name>
> Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh.  Business Analyst, Consultant
> Technical Writer.
> Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Just to add... As John has said...I have tried if you COPY Mac Word-
document without extension on PC (in my case XP pro and  office2003)
then the file opens in word automatically.
If I just CONNECT from that PC to my Mac Desktop to open Word-document
without extension, the PC asks me which Application I want to opent
that file.

You can on file properties on Windows say - always use this
application to open this kind of files. (Note: it's disabled in the
latter case described above because the file is not owned by Windows)

Hi Little_Creature:

OK, that's not the case between Word 2003/Word 2007 and the Mac here :-)

I don't know why it's doing it for you.  On my system, I can open/edit from
one to the other in either direction.

I'll have to check and see if I can produce the problem you're noticing.
Maybe I already registered the Mac File Type and Creator codes on the PC
years back and I have forgotten...

Cheers

On 27/2/07 9:16 PM, in article
1172571375.664793.194490@z35g2000cwz.googlegroups.com,
"litttle.creature.inc@gmail.com" <litttle.creature.inc@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 22, 9:33 am, "John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]"
> <j...@mcghie.name> wrote:
>> I would be surprised if that mattered.  Windows Word doesn't care about file
>> extensions, and neither does Windows XP.
>>
>> The file type and creator code are still buried in the file header (in the
>> first 500 bytes).  That's what both Windows and Word will use to determine
>> what the file is.
>>
>> So while they will have blank icons, they should open in any
>> correctly-configured copy of Office, on either Windows or Mac clients.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> On 22/2/07 3:07 AM, in article
>> E5FDA472-FC32-4938-8DD2-02ABF0D7F...@microsoft.com, "InforSean"
>>
>> <InforS...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>> I have a situation with migrating some older Office X files to a new Windows
>>> Small-Biz Server 2003 environment. It seems that the person I am working
>>> with
>>> did not use the "Append file extensions" option when saving his Office X
>>> files on his Mac server (10.2.8).
>>
>>> So now I have a situation where I need to move these extension-less files
>>> over to the Windows server but they will lose thier file associations. Is
>>> there anyway to save this extension "metadata" to convert these files on the
>>> Windows side? I have about 20GB of data to migrate and manually opening each
>>> file with "open with" really is not an option.
>>
>> --
>>
>> Please reply to the newsgroup to maintain the thread.  Please do not email
>> me unless I ask you to.
>>
>> John McGhie <j...@mcghie.name>
>> Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh.  Business Analyst, Consultant
>> Technical Writer.
>> Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410
>
> Just to add... As John has said...I have tried if you COPY Mac Word-
> document without extension on PC (in my case XP pro and  office2003)
> then the file opens in word automatically.
> If I just CONNECT from that PC to my Mac Desktop to open Word-document
> without extension, the PC asks me which Application I want to opent
> that file.
>
> You can on file properties on Windows say - always use this
> application to open this kind of files. (Note: it's disabled in the
> latter case described above because the file is not owned by Windows)

--

Please reply to the newsgroup to maintain the thread.  Please do not email
me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie <john@mcghie.name>
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh.  Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

0
john7143 (1073)

ClipArt: how to duplicate it? (Office XP)
Hello, I want to share my ClipArt under Office XP. I have copied the media catalog files “Offic10.MGC” and “mstore10.mgc” to other PC but that’s doesn’t work. Do I need to copy another file too to keep my settings Many thanks in advance -Mar A small child turns to Ed, and exclaims: "Look! Look! A post from Marc <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com>!"... > I want to share my ClipArt under Office XP. > I have copied the media catalog files �Offic10.MGC� and > �mstore10.mgc� to other PC but that�s doesn�t work. If the other PC has Office XP, then you should have the O...

windows mail not work with office 2007
I have office 2007. Recently upgraded to Windows 7. Have Windows mail, not Outlook. Cannot email from office 2007. The email prompt is faded out and cannot be accessed. How to activate it? -- potpa What do you mean, you can't email from Office 2007? Just how are you = attempting that? Windows Mail is not designed to run in Windows 7, and although there are = hacks to make it somewhat functional, it is not so easy=20 to get it to be recognized by Windows 7 as capable of assuming the = default mail program role. The best solution is to install=20 Windows Live Mail. Gar...

office shortcut bar
I see through a Google search that the geniuses at Microsoft did not put the Office Shortcut Bar (OSB) in Office 2003. I like and use the Windows Quick Launch Bar for my applications. After several years of using ACT! (3.x through 2005) to manage my business I am migrating to Outlook 2003 (with Business Contact Manager). I remember from an old work PC that, via the Office '97 Shortcut Bar, I could quickly add tasks and calendar items to Outlook (without opening Outlook). How can I directly access the tasks and calendar to add items via the Windows Quick Launch Bar? Since I did a clean inst...

migrate
How migrate server exchange 5.5 to another exchange server 5.5 with another site and organisation ...

Office does not play nice with Spaces
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Processor: intel I find that when I am trying to use Leopard's spaces feature with any of the Office 2008 applications that office windows will often arbitrarily jump from one space to another or disappear entirely. Every other application I have works great with spaces, so I think this must be an office-specific issue. What gives? Using OS 10.5.3 Office 2008 12.1.1 I have the same problem and it seems to be related to the Formatting Palette: if it is on, switching spaces makes Word very jumpy and it doesn't seem to know on w...

Cash Recon Back Office Functionality to Log Variances against Shop
Interested in RMS Addition Software to Allow Management to Reconcile Individual EPOS Shifts and to Reconcile the Cash and to Log Variance against the employee who was using the EPOS during a Shift. ---------------- This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to the suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click the "I Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button, follow this link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and then click "I Agree" in the message pane. http://www.microsof...

MS Outlook Calender issue
Unable to create an appointment. Receive Error:"The form required to view this message can not be displayed. Contact your administrator." ...

rules not migrated when migration to Exchange 2000

Migration to full 2003 exch and domain with badly named Directory
Hi I have an NT4 domain with Exch 5.5 on a BDC. The BDC is named in the format AA_BB, where the "_" character is not allowed under 2003. I understand how to rename the serveron the domain only, before upgrading the domain, but from the exchange point of view what do I do. do I have to exmerge everything and then exmerge back into a full exch 2003 fresh install do I create a new exch 2003 server on a different machine but same site as 5.5 and use the move mailbox util Ideally there would a utility I could run on the 5.5 server to rename the relevant properites prior to a...

Office v.X will not work for all users
Have had Office V.X working on a multi-user machine. However recently it has totally stopped working for one of the users. No office programs will launch at all. When I'm logged into my account (I'm the adminsitrator - haha)I have no problems with any of the Office programs. Any clues - I do not want to do a full remove and re- install and I'm not even sure that will fix it. Thanks - MartyL In article 790901c47670$14f82d00$a501280a@phx.gbl, MartyL at anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com wrote on 7/30/04 13:02: > Have had Office V.X working on a multi-user machine. &...

Office Home & Student 2007 11-30-09
I recently purchased Office Home & Student 2007 upgrade for my Sony computer. I inadvertantly deleted Works prior to the installation. As a result, I received an error when trying to install and unable to proceed. Any advice on working around this? Thanks Use the original Works media to insert when Office asks for a qualifying upgrade product. "Doctor D" <Doctor D@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:DEF7B130-77A5-4C0E-AFC3-DF6745C78244@microsoft.com... :I recently purchased Office Home & Student 2007 upgrade for my Sony computer. ...

microsoft office upgrade from 04 to 08
does each license entitle you to load it on one family computer or can the whole house use the same license for all their computers for Microsoft office 08? The whole house CANNOT use the same license (by license I mean the code you use to install it, the Product Key on a yellowish sticker on the CD case). It's basically one license per person--you are actually allowed to use the same license on both a laptop and a desktop, but not if your daughter is using the laptop in her bedroom, while you use the desktop in the living room. If you use the desktop at home and the laptop while t...

Acc2007, Vista and MDE files
I have encountered a very peculiar set of errors that occur in a weird way. I hope someone can shed some light on this situation. Here are the facts: THE ERROR: function error on queries which include basic vba functions such as right, mid, etc. I tested with a simple query using a right() function in a user-defined field. No problem in mdb, error in mde. * The error only occurs when THE MDE FORM of the database is executed. The same database in mdb form does not throw any errors. Not only does it not throw any errors from the mdb format, the functions work properly. Because these errors occ...

Unable to receive e-mail Windows Mail
Attempting to receive e-mails through Windows Mail (Vista) only results in an error code message: An unknown error has occurred. Account:'pophm.sympatico.ca',Server:'pophm.sympatico.ca',Protocol: POP3, Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Error Number: 0x80004005 -- summer Posted via http://www.vistaheads.com On 01 Jan 2010, summer <summer.4459k6@no-mx.forums.vistaheads.com> wrote in microsoft.public.windows.vista.general: > Attempting to receive e-mails through Windows Mail (Vista) only > results in an error code message: > An unknown error has ...

Defaults on Item Resource Planning window
We are adding new 'Make' items to Dynamics inventory. We have a buyer ID that is defaulting into the Buyer ID, Where is this setup default coming from? I would also like to select a class, and have the information default on the Item Resource Planning window? All the items now are defaulting as 'Buy' items. thanks! -- Doug The Resource Planning Site Maintenance window holds Item Resource Defaults per site (including the buyer id). Go to Site Maintenance, pick a site, and click on the Planning button. -- Richard L. Whaley Author / Consultant / MVP 2006-2008 Docum...

Can't find a link to download the Office 2003 Student and Teacher
Why can't I find the link to download Office 2003 Student and Teacher Ed? I have the product key but my original cd has gone missing... Help! Because the link doesn't exist. Contact the vendor from where you purchased it. "TRenee" <TRenee@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B0832A59-9C02-462E-8614-D61AAC37DF33@microsoft.com... : Why can't I find the link to download Office 2003 Student and Teacher Ed? I : have the product key but my original cd has gone missing... Help! How to replace Microsoft software or hardware, order service p...

Groupwise to Exchange Migration
I migrated my Groupwise account as a preliminary test, deleted all of the individual emails in the mailbox, and then started the migration for all users. During the migration (the 2nd time), all of my older emails did not migrate the 2nd time, although they did migrate the first time. Is there anything that I can do, or that needs to be done, to allow all of my past emails to be migrated again? -- Richard Perry Systems Administrator/Programmer Shadow Mountain Ministries San Diego Christian College Southern California Seminary Christian Unified Schools of San Diego ...

Migration tool crashes when migrating from Lotus
I'm having problems with the migration tool when migrating some users. What happens is that once it starts up, the tool crashes with no error codes and the domino server crashes as well. I'm running exchange 2003 and domino 6 on win2k and I'm migrating it all on the same box. I know it says not to but I've already killed a test server because of this and don't have another one handy. As I said, I can migrate the majority of users fine, but for some reason it does not like these users. If anyone has any suggestions or has come across something like this it would...

Office v.x Word
When creating mailing labels I am unable to print. I can preview page layout under data merge manager and print the page. But when I complete the merge to new document and then print it seems to be sending somewhere other than my printer. This merge file was created in word 98. I recreated in v.x and it still does not print the labels. Could it have something to do with entrouge. Help please!!!! I am new to OSx I just upgraded from 0S 8, I know behind the times. Thanks, Signal Hi When you use File > Print you can select which printer (if you have more than one) from the dialo...

Office Home/Student 2007 Dutch version use in English
We live in Holland and have just purchased Microsoft Office 2007 Home/Student from a local computer store. I am English and my partner Dutch, but she prefers to work in English. The Office version we have bought is only in Dutch- is there some way, without having to return it and buy another version, that we can use it with English as the user language? Many thanks, J ...

Windows Classes #2
Hi everybody, Using Spy++ I noticed that some buttons and controls in an application are not window(they don't appear in the list). For example open an Internet Explorer window and go to "www.google.com", and then refresh the Spy++ window list. The two search buttons do not appear in the list. I don't think IE paints these buttons (like simulating what a button does), but they are not windows either, so what are they? Yours, Kourosh. Kourosh wrote: > Hi everybody, > Using Spy++ I noticed that some buttons and controls in an > application are not window(they...

Running mixed Office components
Is it possible to run Excel 2000 with the Office 2003 suite minus Excel 2003? If so, what issues may I run into? Thanks Bernie You shouldn't have any problems. I'm running about 6 versions of Excel, including 2000, with Office 2003. -- Jim Rech Excel MVP "Bernie Wienhold" <Bernie Wienhold@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:46336ECF-0589-4309-ADFB-52D482EC6D63@microsoft.com... | Is it possible to run Excel 2000 with the Office 2003 suite minus Excel 2003? | If so, what issues may I run into? | | Thanks | Bernie I can imagine that when you use ...

out of office not working
When I click on out of office in tools, it tells me " THE COMMAND IS NOT AVAILABLE. SEE THE PROGRAM DOCUMENTATION ABOUT HOW TO USE THIS EXTENSION" I am running on Win2k and outlook 2002 SP1 and also restricted user. I have Exchange Extensions commands installed. any ideas? George ...

Delete large table in chunks to minimise log file growth
Helo All, I am deleting a large table in chunks to: 1) Avoid locking issues 2) Restrict log file growth Algorithm init_size = current size of transaction log while TRUE delete X records matching criteria current_size = current size of log If no records deleted then exit while if current_size - init_size > Y MB shrink log file end while I tried it with X = 200 and Y = 50. In practice, I would not try to restrict log growth to 50 MB. I just needed to see what was going on. I shrink the log file using the procedure at http://blo...

Exch 5.5 to 2003 ADMT \ ADC migration order question
Hi guys. I've been reading posts and performing tests in the run up to a Exchange 5.5 to 2003 intra-org migration. In everyone's opinion, which is the best order -> ADC (not enabled) -> ADMT to create new AD account (run in batches) -> ADClean to marry disabled place holder and new account (run in batches) -> movemailbox ( in batches as part of rolling migration) The above seems to have issues with no self rights so if you remove SIDhistory after the migration is done, wont the systems permission go bang as it's masking the lack of self rights? OR....... -&g...