Migrating Office X files to Windows SBS 2k3

I have a situation with migrating some older Office X files to a new Windows 
Small-Biz Server 2003 environment. It seems that the person I am working with 
did not use the "Append file extensions" option when saving his Office X 
files on his Mac server (10.2.8). 

So now I have a situation where I need to move these extension-less files 
over to the Windows server but they will lose thier file associations. Is 
there anyway to save this extension "metadata" to convert these files on the 
Windows side? I have about 20GB of data to migrate and manually opening each 
file with "open with" really is not an option.
0
InforSean (1)
2/21/2007 4:07:35 PM
mac.office 7017 articles. 0 followers. Follow

3 Replies
1413 Views

Similar Articles

[PageSpeed] 50

I would be surprised if that mattered.  Windows Word doesn't care about file
extensions, and neither does Windows XP.

The file type and creator code are still buried in the file header (in the
first 500 bytes).  That's what both Windows and Word will use to determine
what the file is.

So while they will have blank icons, they should open in any
correctly-configured copy of Office, on either Windows or Mac clients.

Cheers


On 22/2/07 3:07 AM, in article
E5FDA472-FC32-4938-8DD2-02ABF0D7FDCE@microsoft.com, "InforSean"
<InforSean@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I have a situation with migrating some older Office X files to a new Windows
> Small-Biz Server 2003 environment. It seems that the person I am working with
> did not use the "Append file extensions" option when saving his Office X
> files on his Mac server (10.2.8).
> 
> So now I have a situation where I need to move these extension-less files
> over to the Windows server but they will lose thier file associations. Is
> there anyway to save this extension "metadata" to convert these files on the
> Windows side? I have about 20GB of data to migrate and manually opening each
> file with "open with" really is not an option.

-- 

Please reply to the newsgroup to maintain the thread.  Please do not email
me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie <john@mcghie.name>
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh.  Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

-1
john7143 (1072)
2/22/2007 8:33:43 AM
On Feb 22, 9:33 am, "John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]"
<j...@mcghie.name> wrote:
> I would be surprised if that mattered.  Windows Word doesn't care about file
> extensions, and neither does Windows XP.
>
> The file type and creator code are still buried in the file header (in the
> first 500 bytes).  That's what both Windows and Word will use to determine
> what the file is.
>
> So while they will have blank icons, they should open in any
> correctly-configured copy of Office, on either Windows or Mac clients.
>
> Cheers
>
> On 22/2/07 3:07 AM, in article
> E5FDA472-FC32-4938-8DD2-02ABF0D7F...@microsoft.com, "InforSean"
>
> <InforS...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> > I have a situation with migrating some older Office X files to a new Windows
> > Small-Biz Server 2003 environment. It seems that the person I am working with
> > did not use the "Append file extensions" option when saving his Office X
> > files on his Mac server (10.2.8).
>
> > So now I have a situation where I need to move these extension-less files
> > over to the Windows server but they will lose thier file associations. Is
> > there anyway to save this extension "metadata" to convert these files on the
> > Windows side? I have about 20GB of data to migrate and manually opening each
> > file with "open with" really is not an option.
>
> --
>
> Please reply to the newsgroup to maintain the thread.  Please do not email
> me unless I ask you to.
>
> John McGhie <j...@mcghie.name>
> Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh.  Business Analyst, Consultant
> Technical Writer.
> Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

Just to add... As John has said...I have tried if you COPY Mac Word-
document without extension on PC (in my case XP pro and  office2003)
then the file opens in word automatically.
If I just CONNECT from that PC to my Mac Desktop to open Word-document
without extension, the PC asks me which Application I want to opent
that file.

You can on file properties on Windows say - always use this
application to open this kind of files. (Note: it's disabled in the
latter case described above because the file is not owned by Windows)

1
2/27/2007 10:16:15 AM
Hi Little_Creature:

OK, that's not the case between Word 2003/Word 2007 and the Mac here :-)

I don't know why it's doing it for you.  On my system, I can open/edit from
one to the other in either direction.

I'll have to check and see if I can produce the problem you're noticing.
Maybe I already registered the Mac File Type and Creator codes on the PC
years back and I have forgotten...

Cheers


On 27/2/07 9:16 PM, in article
1172571375.664793.194490@z35g2000cwz.googlegroups.com,
"litttle.creature.inc@gmail.com" <litttle.creature.inc@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 22, 9:33 am, "John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]"
> <j...@mcghie.name> wrote:
>> I would be surprised if that mattered.  Windows Word doesn't care about file
>> extensions, and neither does Windows XP.
>> 
>> The file type and creator code are still buried in the file header (in the
>> first 500 bytes).  That's what both Windows and Word will use to determine
>> what the file is.
>> 
>> So while they will have blank icons, they should open in any
>> correctly-configured copy of Office, on either Windows or Mac clients.
>> 
>> Cheers
>> 
>> On 22/2/07 3:07 AM, in article
>> E5FDA472-FC32-4938-8DD2-02ABF0D7F...@microsoft.com, "InforSean"
>> 
>> <InforS...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>>> I have a situation with migrating some older Office X files to a new Windows
>>> Small-Biz Server 2003 environment. It seems that the person I am working
>>> with
>>> did not use the "Append file extensions" option when saving his Office X
>>> files on his Mac server (10.2.8).
>> 
>>> So now I have a situation where I need to move these extension-less files
>>> over to the Windows server but they will lose thier file associations. Is
>>> there anyway to save this extension "metadata" to convert these files on the
>>> Windows side? I have about 20GB of data to migrate and manually opening each
>>> file with "open with" really is not an option.
>> 
>> --
>> 
>> Please reply to the newsgroup to maintain the thread.  Please do not email
>> me unless I ask you to.
>> 
>> John McGhie <j...@mcghie.name>
>> Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh.  Business Analyst, Consultant
>> Technical Writer.
>> Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410
> 
> Just to add... As John has said...I have tried if you COPY Mac Word-
> document without extension on PC (in my case XP pro and  office2003)
> then the file opens in word automatically.
> If I just CONNECT from that PC to my Mac Desktop to open Word-document
> without extension, the PC asks me which Application I want to opent
> that file.
> 
> You can on file properties on Windows say - always use this
> application to open this kind of files. (Note: it's disabled in the
> latter case described above because the file is not owned by Windows)
> 

-- 

Please reply to the newsgroup to maintain the thread.  Please do not email
me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie <john@mcghie.name>
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh.  Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

0
john7143 (1072)
2/27/2007 12:43:21 PM
Reply:

Similar Artilces:

Can you transfer your PC MS Office license to a Mac MS Office license?
We have recently purchased a Mac at my workplace and are currently moving as much software from the PC I use to the new Mac. I will no longer be using the PC, so all of the software currently installed on it is useless to us unless we can transfer it over to the Mac. So far, Adobe has been able to transfer all licenses over from the PC to the Mac at no additional cost (save for the cost of shipping the Mac install disks). So on to my question: I am wondering if Microsoft offers a transfer of license from PC to Mac for MS Office? We could obviously just purchase mac.office, but we have alr...

Additional file with no extension created during File Save As proc
Good morning all! I originally posted this query on the Developer board, as I thought it was a problem with my code, but now I'm not so sure. I have a workbook with a macro that runs a Save As within a loop, to create test data files. I was finding that for every new file I created, and additional file with a filename comprisiong eight alphanumeric characters and no file extenson was created in the same folder. Thinking that the workbook might be corrupted, I created a new workbook (with NO copying/pasting from the original - everything types in from scratch) , created new code m...

Converting money file #2
I have installed GnuCash. Can I use Microsoft Money data with it? Ask GnuCash? -- Regards Bob Peel, Microsoft MVP - Money For unofficial FAQs see http://money.mvps.org/ or http://umpmfaq.info/ I do not respond to any emails that I have not specifically asked for. "abc" <abc@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:B649AC52-FEDE-4B71-8E69-23299B71BB89@microsoft.com... >I have installed GnuCash. Can I use Microsoft Money data with it? GnuCash imports QIF. Money exports QIF. Assuming GnuCash does sane things with the iimports, that'd be better than nothi...

Excel 2007 painfully slow to open files
Having upgraded to Office 2007 (XP Pro, 1 Gb RAM Pentium 4 2.4GHz) I am finding Excel to be painfully slow even when opening small (50k) files by double clicking either the file or a shortcut. If I have Excel open and go through the ribbon menu to open the file from within Excel it opens immediately - it is only slow when opening a file via shortcut or double clicking the file with Excel closed. Is there a fix for this? Wowbagger wrote: > Having upgraded to Office 2007 (XP Pro, 1 Gb RAM Pentium 4 2.4GHz) I am > finding Excel to be painfully slow even when opening small (50k) f...

Migrating from Managing Your Money
I have a very old version of Managing Your Money (DOS program). Have now upgraded to XP at home and it no longer works (still have the old PC where I can run it). Is there any way to migrate from Managing Your Money to MS Money other than a total manual data entry? Thanks. In microsoft.public.money, Dana wrote: >I have a very old version of Managing Your Money (DOS >program). Have now upgraded to XP at home and it no longer >works (still have the old PC where I can run it). > >Is there any way to migrate from Managing Your Money to MS >Money other than a total manua...

RMSHQ on Windows Server 2008
Anybody have experience running the RMS Headquarders Server & Client on a Windows Server 2008 operating system? We are looking to upgrade our application server to Windows Server 2008. On this server i would need to be able to run the RMS HQ Server and the HQ Client application. Just curious if anybody has good or bad news about running these applications on Windwos Server 2008. Thanks in advance for your feedback. -- Regards, Andy Miller DirectPOS - Boise, Idaho andym@directpos.com (208) 376-8121 x244 www.directpos.com I'm not sure yet but we run HQ v1.2 and just p...

Tutorial On Using Windows Vista Compressed Files Capabilities
Where can I find a link or tutorial on using Windows Vista's Compressed Files Capabilities? I am of need to create several Zipped Compressed Files. I am not interested in third party software. Thank you Eddy. Very simple - Right click the file ( or Files ) and from the context menu place your pointer over "Send To". From the secondary menu choose "Compressed (Zipped) File". "Eddy" <Eddy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:7E75733F-4757-4253-9277-BC15273789C7@microsoft.com... > Where can I find a link or tutorial on usi...

Present Power : Windows XP/Vista,Linux,Unix & Networks .
Present Power : Windows XP/Vista,Linux,Unix & Networks . Check all of these at , http://windowsdatabase.blogspot.com Lot more new trends are in queue,so visiting it for instant updates. ...

Move messages from Inbox after X number of days
Hi, Does anyone have an Exchange Server script that you could send me whose purpose is to check messages in the Inbox and if they are X many days old to move them to another folder under the Inbox on the Exchange server. I'm using Exchange 5.5 and Outlook 2003. Thanks. Dominic dominic.martin@dtrack.com <dominic.martin@dtrack.com> wrote: > Does anyone have an Exchange Server script that you could send me > whose purpose is to check messages in the Inbox and if they are X > many days old to move them to another folder under the Inbox on the > Exchange server. I'm ...

Importing Excel file without server access
I'm automating the process of emailing query results as an Excel file attachment to one recipeint. The recipient will complete data in the Excel file. My problem is that our company will not give this person access to our server, therefore he cannot upload his updated Excel file to one of our drives where I can then access it, import and update my table. There is nobody that he can email the file to either. I believe, however, that he'll have access to unpload a file to our company's SIFT site. Is there a way, through automation, that I can then import the file from ...

Activating the Out of Office Assistant between certain times every
Does anybody know how I can configure Outlook 2007 to autoreply between 4:30pm and 8am during the weekdays and also during the weekend? There is no way that I can remember to turn on the assistant every time I leave the office. Version of Exchange? You can't automate it, but Outlook 2007/Exchange 2007 allow you to set it ahead of time - you could set it every morning for the evening. FWIW, I wouldn't use it for normal outside-of-business hours. Its only necessary to use the OOF when you are not going to be in during a normal workday or for holidays. -- Diane P...

Excel Image not displayed when the physical file is N/A
Hello there, I'm having a problem on images that's generated from excel. I'm using the url method to generate the excel file and I'm aware that the images are stored in a physical location and the images won't be able to be displayed if the physical file is not available. I'm able to display the images out when the excel report is generated; however, when we save it as the default xls extension file, and open it in another location, the images are not displayed, as only the physical file path is being stored in the excel file. I've tested it on a c...

Problem opening office xp excel files
Hi all, I have office xp and when I click on an excel file, Excel will run bu it doesn't open the file, it leaves it empty and gray. Problem goe away if I do file, open, filename. Can anybody help? This problem happens to all my excel files, not just a particular one Thanks ----------------------------------------------- ~~ Message posted from http://www.ExcelTip.com ~~View and post usenet messages directly from http://www.ExcelForum.com Try Tools / Options / General / If 'Ignore other Applications' is checked then uncheck it. -- Regards Ken..........................

Keyboard does not start after Windows XP starts up
Hello! A computer had a really bad virus with lots of pop-ups. I performed a completed hard drive format and clean install of Windows XP Professional. When the computer boots up, the keyboard comes on and the computer goes to windows. The computer does not have a PS/2 port, only USB ports. The USB mouse works, the keyboard does not work. I have tried using a different keyboard, plugging the keyboard into different USB ports, including the port the mouse was using. Nothing. I tried logging into safe mode, nothing. I reset the board by pulling up the little pin and...

Dynamics Workflow windows in Dynamics
Hi there I have installed Dynamics Workflow for Dynamics version 10 successfully. I have created a simple Purchase Order workflow. I have clicked the Activate Workflow button in this company. However when the users capture a Purchase Order it does not have the additional workflow compnonents on the Purchase Order window e.g. Submit etc. I have logged out and back in again. What am I missing? Regards Robin The workflow functionality in GP 10 requires the deployment of MOSS 2007 (Enterprise Edition). Not a trivial thing. "Robinv" wrote: > Hi there > > I have ...

Fax component in Windows XP Service Pack 3
I have Win XP Home with Service Pack 3. It will not let me installation the Fax Component as described in the Installation section. I have tried using all the different ways mentioned in the trouble shooting guide but it won't install. It shows that it is trying to install and will create an icon in the Add new Printer and Fax group. But when you click on the Fax icon and click properties. It gives the error that the printer is either not correctly installed or not connected to the server. Any ideas? =?Utf-8?B?QW5vbw==?= <Anoo@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in...

Make ZIP files from ASP.NET with VB
Hi somebody have an example or an idea to how to make ZIP files from a folder? Thanks a lot On 9/17/2010 2:14 PM, Marcos G. wrote: > Hi somebody have an example or an idea to how to make ZIP files from a > folder? > > Thanks a lot <http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=zip+libaries+for+net&btnG=Google+Search&aq=f&aqi=m1&aql=&oq=zip+libaries+for+net&gs_rfai=CsSyRB82TTOGbJJG6hASEv7n2CwAAAKoEBU_QB9Oo&psj=1&fp=207a1c3c62b92b94> Have a look on codeplex (http://www.codeplex.com) - there are severa...

BCM to CRM Migration Error
I am getting an unexpected error, trying to migrate Business Contact Manger to CRM 3.0. Here is the log. Can anyone help? 8/24/2007 9:56:11 AM------>Transitioning to next screen. From: Welcome screen. To: PreconditionCheck screen. 8/24/2007 9:56:11 AM------>Connecting to Microsoft CRM Arteco_Vision_Systems_MSCRM 8/24/2007 9:56:11 AM------>Checking that Microsoft CRM Data Migration Pack is installed: Success 8/24/2007 9:56:11 AM------>Establishing connection to CDF database: Success 8/24/2007 9:56:11 AM------>Checking existence of EntityIdMap table in CDF database: Success ...

outlook freezes attaching files
Outlook freezes when users try to attach files stored on a network drive. Only some users have this problem, if I do the same with a different login it work just fine. Any ideas.....?? ...

Purchase Orders
Does anybody know of any RMS Add-On where you can Create a Purchase Order by importing an item list from a CSV text file? We have a customer that gets an excel spreadsheet from their supplier of all the items that they should be receiving via UPS. The customer doesnt know before hand what they will be receiving until they get the excel spreadsheet. Any Ideas? I'm new to RMS, so forgive me if this info is slightly inaccurate, try it out first. If you create a blank P.O for adding item manually, on the screen where you enter your items, right click, and import. Then you choose you...

Install Sharepoint Support for Office 2003
I want to change an existing Office 2003 network installation. The feature I want to add is Windows SharePoint Services Support. I tried to do this via the Custom Maintenance Wizard. But the Windows Sharepoint Services Support will not install. Hopefully someone can help me with this. I don't want to manually install the feature for 300+ clients. Have you tried to ask in the sharepoint newsgroup ? On the web: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/newsgroups/list/en-us/default.aspx?dg=microsoft.public.sharepoint.general -- Peter Please Reply to Newsgroup for the be...

.PAB file
I have a .PAB file, but would like to tranfer contact details to the .PST file. I have Windows XP Pro + Office 2000. Jay <nospam> wrote: > I have a .PAB file, but would like to tranfer contact details to the > .PST file. Outlook's Import function should allow it. -- Brian Tillman Thanks Brian, I will try that. Out of curiosity, for which version of Office did the .PAB file stop being necessary? I gather that it is no longer needed. Jay "Brian Tillman" <tillman1952@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:O8X$OSqIHHA.1252@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... Jay <n...

Excel temp files in network dir
I have users that are accessing a network shares to their excel files. I often see files that are 8 characters long Ex(D8710B20) and without extensions, left over in their dir. I have read MS article 814068 and understand that these are created during the save function; however, i have ruled out permissions and antivirus as the cause. These files consume a lot of network space. Any guidance would greatly be appreciated. Delete them? "les" <les.becker@ifcosystems.com> wrote in message news:242501c37332$34e6b600$a601280a@phx.gbl... : I have users that are accessing...

Discussion of Money Plus (M08) feature: Link to Image or File
The ability to associate a scanned receipt, photo, or other document to a transaction has been frequently requested. Money Plus (M08) adds a feature that allows a link to such a document. There are articles about this in Help. Enter "link" into the search box of Help to see a list of articles. In Advanced register, you can do the linking in a credit card, bank, asset, liability, savings, checking account, as well as the Cash Transactions register of an Investment account. The only transactions that I have found that you cannot link from are a loan account and the Investment Trans...

Unable to Install Publisher 2003 with Office 2003
I bought Microsoft Publisher 2003 at the same time but in a separate package with Microsoft Office: Student and Teacher 2003. The installation gets to the point where I enter my key, it works. But shortly afterwards there is an error message saying that it cannot find Office 98, Office 2000, or Office XP on my computer and that this is necessary to install Publisher 2003, and it prompts me to designate a drive where it is found. But then the installation repeats that it cannot find Office 98, Office 2000, or Office XP and stops. I really hope that it's not impossible for Publisher...