Microsoft User Data folder

Version: 2008
Processor: Intel

Is there a reason the Microsoft User Data folder needs to reside in the Documents folder rather than ~/Library/Application Support/ ?

I would think that the "Documents" folder would be for user-generated documents and the "Application Support" folder hierarchy would be for application-generated files? Or am I wrong?

Secondly, I don't use Entourage (never even launched it once) - so why's the database file 20MB in size?

My understanding is that the MUD is where it is because Apple's OS X
guidelines determine that to be the appropriate location. Beyond that I
haven't a clue � the developers most certainly have reasons for what they do
but I'm afraid you'd have to ask them what those reasons might be :-)

The Database serves all of the apps in the Office package in several ways
although its primary association is with Entourage. This is from the
Database Manager Help:
If you installed a stand-alone version of Word, Excel, or PowerPoint, the
database stores the following information:

The Office Address Book
Project Palette data
Scrapbook clips

If you installed Microsoft Office 2008, the database stores the preceding
three types of information and all Entourage data. This includes messages,
events, tasks, preferences, and contacts.

Regards |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 6/6/09 7:09 AM, in article 59b7607d.-1@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"ddahle1970@officeformac.com" <ddahle1970@officeformac.com> wrote:

> Version: 2008
> Processor: Intel
>
> Is there a reason the Microsoft User Data folder needs to reside in the
> Documents folder rather than ~/Library/Application Support/ ?
>
> I would think that the "Documents" folder would be for user-generated
> documents and the "Application Support" folder hierarchy would be for
> application-generated files? Or am I wrong?
>
> Secondly, I don't use Entourage (never even launched it once) - so why's the
> database file 20MB in size?

See, part of the reason I asked regarding this folder - I don't have a Time Capsule so I can't use Time Machine for backups. Instead, I have defined 'burn folders' so I can back up my data to DVD. The User Data folder being where it is (and its data being otherwise meaningless to me) prevents me from cleanly defining the Documents folder as a source location. I eventually had to create a separate My Documents folder in ~ that I could simply target as a whole for backup (with an alias back into Documents). There needs to be the option to set the location of the user data folder without even an alias back into the Documents folder.
I found a solution and which fully resolves my question.
On 6/12/09 5:09 AM, in article 59b7607d.2@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"ddahle1970@officeformac.com" <ddahle1970@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I found a solution and which fully resolves my question.

Care to share your solution?

--
Diane

I am a little hesitant to share this (very elegant) solution out of concern that Microsoft may turn around and "correct" this solution in a future Office update. :-P
On 6/12/09 7:50 PM, in article 59b7607d.4@webcrossing.caR9absDaxw,
"ddahle1970@officeformac.com" <ddahle1970@officeformac.com> wrote:

> I am a little hesitant to share this (very elegant) solution out of concern
> that Microsoft may turn around and "correct" this solution in a future Office
> update. :-P

We all learn from each other. If you don't care to share, then how can you
expect anyone to share anything with you?

--
Diane

OK - point taken. :)
It seems that Office 2004 AND 2008 look in two locations for the folder.
The other location and to which I moved my MUD folder is ~/Library/Preferences.

Data Labels #3
I have a bar chart that has actual sales and target sales for eac salesperson. I would like to show the % of actual sales to target sale in a data label. Under Chart Options on the Data Label tab, I see tha there's a box that says Percentage but it is greyed out. Is there a way to show my percentage on the graph? Currently, I hav text boxes with the percentage in it. The problem is that I have t reposition the text boxes all the time and they never quite seem t line up correctly. Thanks for any help -- Message posted from http://www.ExcelForum.com Nan - Calculate your percentages in...

microsoft
weghtgh ...

Multiple instance of a system folder
Hi, I am stuck up where my Exchange server shows multiple instance of SCHEDULE+FREE BUSY system folder. It should be noted that ESM by itself shows only one instance of SCHEDULE+FREE BUSY folder !!?? It is only when i use custom search in Active Directory it show two instances of it in the First Administrative Group. How can i make sure which one is the correct and is associated with the one showing in ESM? Because of this issue my Calendar Connector service is not starting. Any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance, Where do you see these multiple instances? -- Ed Crowle...

Outlook 2007
Hi All Using outlook 2003 I had the MCL overwritten by the users login script with a version that included all the categories we needed. Now with outlook 2007 this no longer works as the categories are stored elsewhere. Is there a way using something like vbs that the users categories could be over written by a master txt file or something? I tried the catman 2 tool but would involve installing the app on multiple machines. Thanks in advance. Laurence. "LarryB" <LarryB@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:07DBECAB-79CE-4942-B527-2DF2C283387...

Microsoft Promo

Outlook Data Files #3
Hi All Can anybody tell me what exactly the Outlook data files do? and what happens if you delete one. Does it automatically reset itself? I somehow ended up with more than one so I have done a backup and cleaned them out by deleting htem. Outlook data files contain all your Outlook data. Clarify the rest of your questions. Read this: http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010771141033.aspx -- Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook] "News" <someone@someone.com> wrote in messa...

Data truncated in text box on form
I have researched the various issues as it relates to truncation of memo fields. I read Allen Browne's fine treatise on the subject. However I am experiencing something I can't quite understand or correct. Here goes. I have a form with a text box control on it. There is a query that runs that populates this text box. The table the query runs against has a field formatted as memo and the data looks fine in there. When I run the query on its own the memo fields appear in their entirety. As a note, within this query I do not use the "Group By" sorting. However, when I loo...

imported data not recognised in formulae
We have a software package from which we can export data (numbers and text) to MS Excel. When i try an run a simple "IF" formula on the imported data, excel always returns a negative result. For example, the imported data cell has content "name00", and i put in a regular IF formula to use this data, it is never recognized as *true*. If i manually re-type the information into the cell then it is picked up - and a *true* result is returned! If i paste special the data into excel i get the option of unicode or text, or i have the choice to export the data directly. None...

microsoft XL

Creating a graph based on a chosen group of data
Hi, I have a list of data that contains multiple groups I am trying to create a graph that will show only the group that the user selects from a dropdown box. The data looks like this: Group Item Data A 1 100 A 2 120 A 3 130 B 4 75 B 5 62 B 6 110 The drop down box shows A or B, if the user selects A the graph should show 3 bars named 1, 2 and 3. If the user selects B the graph should show 3 bars named 4,...

Which version of Microsoft Office #2

Creating folder names from column data in excel
Hi, I have a list of names in excel, approx 500 long. I need to create a folder for each one. How do i do it automatically? Thanks You would use the MkDir statement to do that... it requires you specify the full path as its argument. This is the description provided in the help files... "Creates a new directory or folder. Syntax: MkDir path The required path argument is a string expression that identifies the directory or folder to be created. The path may include the drive. If no drive is specified, MkDir creates the new directory or folder on the curren...

Is there a way to dissallow users from deleting formulas (and data) in a column
Does anyone know whether there is a preferred way to dissallow users from deleting formulas (and data) in a column? I have a shared document that contains formulas in certain columns. On occasion, users will likely accidentally delete the contents of those cells (thus eliminating those necessary formalas). Is there any way to prevent them from doing so? Thanks. You can lock the cells and then protect the worksheet. But there are lots of things that aren't available when the worksheet is protected. Dave K wrote: > > Does anyone know whether there is a preferred way to dissallow...

Microsoft Office 2004
Hi I have been using the microsoft office 2004 on an ibook G4 on panther for the last 6 months. Recently, it is refusing to read some of the excel and powerpoint file created on a PC under the Office 97. I can see the file name but not the icon next to it when I look under Finder. When I click on the file name, the file disappears from view completely. At first I thought it was a software issue so I re-install the Microsoft Office 2004, but the problem persists. Has anyone encountered this problem? Any suggestions to solve it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance, June In artic...

Synchronizing 2 x Microsoft Outlook 2007 #2
I have MS outlook 2007 on two different PCs. How Can I synchronized the Calendars from boot Outlooks. Thanks. Locksley ...

microsoft outlook and microsoft project
I install MS Outlook 2003, and also MS Project 2007. When I online MS Outlook, any time when there is message come in my mail box. Window display " Microsoft config gathering ms project information" Is it an installer window or a project dialog box? If installer, the Microsoft installer program is corrupt. Try Detect and Repair in Outlook or Project to stop it or just let it run and complete. If it's a project dialog box, you have some addin doing it. -- Diane Poremsky [MVP - Outlook] Author, Teach Yourself Outlook 2003 in 24 Hours Need Help with Common Tasks? http://www....

Want to move pst folders in outlook
How do I get Outlook to store the pst folder on another machine acting as a storeage machine. Its Outlook corporate 2002..Client box has Win xp pro other box is Win 2000 Thanls Corky You can move the pst-file when Outlook is closed. When you then open Outlook it will prompt you for the new location. Note that storing a pst-file on a networkshare is not supported by Microsoft. -- Robert Sparnaaij [MVP-Outlook] www.howto-outlook.com Tips of the month: -Backup and Restore -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pack 3 ----- "Corky" <anonymous@discussions.micros...

Microsoft SQL...
We are using W23K Server, Exchange 2003 SP1, Backup Exec 10.0. We purchased the Exchange Agent and are using it. Recently, when the backup runs it skips 22 files, which are in use. These are the files for Microsoft SQL. In a disaster recover scenario where we reinstall W23K, Exchange and restore the Exchange data / mailboxes from tape, do we need to have the SQL backed up or would it be reinstalled with Exchange / Backup Exec? Any advice would be appreciated. THANK YOU in advance! you're running SQL and Exchange on the same box? why is that? -- Susan Conkey [MVP] "Allan" ...