Microsoft Office 2004 - File Disappears after clicking

Hi

I have been using the microsoft office 2004 on an ibook G4 on panther
for the last 6 months.

Recently, it is refusing to read some of the excel and powerpoint file
created on a PC under the  Office 97. I can see the file name but not
the icon next to it when I look under Finder. When I click on the file
name, the file disappears from view completely. At first I thought it
was a software issue so I re-install the Microsoft Office 2004, but the
problem persists.

Has anyone encountered this problem? Any suggestions to solve it would
be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
June

0
jlimlj (1)

In article <1134005872.123831.246730@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
 "jlimlj@yahoo.com" <jlimlj@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have been using the microsoft office 2004 on an ibook G4 on panther
> for the last 6 months.
>
> Recently, it is refusing to read some of the excel and powerpoint file
> created on a PC under the  Office 97. I can see the file name but not
> the icon next to it when I look under Finder. When I click on the file
> name, the file disappears from view completely. At first I thought it
> was a software issue so I re-install the Microsoft Office 2004, but the
> problem persists.
>
> Has anyone encountered this problem? Any suggestions to solve it would
> be much appreciated.

Hi June!

By any chance do these files you're having problems with reside on a
network server? If so, have permissions changed significantly on the
folder or volume you're trying to access? Also, if you're using a
server, are you connecting via AFP or SMB?

bill
--
William M. Smith
(Microsoft Interop MVP)

from IP-to-Country Database to Office 2004
A friend in CA told me to download IP-to-Country Database; but after downloading, I could not open it on my OSX Imac because of what Apple Tech Support said was a non-supportable csv file. But, the Apple gal added, that possibly Microsoft Entourage might solve the problem, but she was not sure. So I downloaded Office 2004 11.3.5 and 11.3.6 update; but found none of these major downloads opened either. And when I tried to open Office from Application, I got an exclamation message indicating: The installer could not locate the correct version of the software required to install this update. See ...

Excel 2007: File Extension Warning
I've created a file extension for Excel workbooks and associated the extension with Excel. No problem opening the file with older versions of Excel. With Excel 2007 I get a message stating that the file "is in a different format than specified by the file extension". I can select Yes to open the file, but I'd like to bypass this warning if possible. I tried adding the file's location to the Trusted Sources list, but that didn't affect this warning. Any suggestions? ...

Office XP and Outlook 2010
Hello, We are in the middle of a migration towards Exchange 2010. Clients currently run Windows XP SP3 with Office XP SP3 (without Outlook) I have installed Outlook 2010 and it seems to be fine coexisting with Office XP however before considering deploying this to 7000 workstations I would like to know whether there is an official support statement from Microsoft regarding compatibility between Outlook 2010 and Office XP. Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks, J "Jack" wrote: > Hello, > > We are in the middle of a migration towards Excha...

Help with Compile Error in Excel Office 2003
I am not an expert user but I have just upgraded to Office 2003 and a spreadsheet that I have used for some time is giving me the following error:- Compile error in hidden module: DistMon It allows me to carry on and the spreadsheet still seems to work but it is obviously a nuisance. Can anyone help me out here? -- ..... Julian Cann Brisbane Australia Julian, This involves Acrobat, see... http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307410 Regards, Jim Cone San Francisco, USA "Julian Cann" <julianREMOVETHIScann@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:MPG.1cba...

writing non-ascii text to a file from an Excel functio
Hi, I'm very new to the world of Excel Macros and functions so please bear with me. I have cobbled together a VB function to export an XML document from Excel, the function allows the user to choose a column for export. The function will be used for multilingual export into various XML documents and as such must be able to export data *exactly* as it is in the Excel document. Problem is that all non-Latin characters are exported as question marks "?". The code that does the writting to the file is as follows: Print #iFileNum, "<?xml version=""1.0""...

Insert row in Office 2007
Can someone advise me how to insert more than 1 row a time. Thanks, Scott Hi Scott, If you select 5 rows and then hit the Insert>Sheet Rows button, Excel will insert 5 rows -- Kind regards, Niek Otten Microsoft MVP - Excel "Scott" <NoSpam-Scott.Xe@GMail.com> wrote in message news:eXG51FrsIHA.5068@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl... | Can someone advise me how to insert more than 1 row a time. | | Thanks, | | Scott Niek, Many thanks! Scott "Niek Otten" <nicolaus@xs4all.nl> �b�l�� news:OADLLIrsIHA.3680@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl �����g... > Hi Scott, > >...

how to open a .pst file(data file in outlook) programmatically?
I need to open a pst file to get the calendar data inside, I need c++ code, of course , vba code is welcome, thanks for any help. You will find documentation of the Outlook Automation interface in a file with a name like VBAOL11.CHM. (The "11" represents the 2003 version of Office. Office XP is "10", Office 2000 is "9", etc. All this documentation is written with VBA in mind, but it is easily adaptable to C++. You'll start with the Application object, get the "MAPI" Namespace, and from it get the default folder for olFolderCalendar. "Ro...

Can't open .pub files
I have Publisher 2003. Once I save a project, I can't open it again. When I select the .pub file to open, Publisher opens and then says "Publisher cannot find the file you specified", then when the Open Publication window pops up, I choose the project that I want to open, then I get "Publisher cannot open the file." What am I missing? Maybe the following article will be useful: (329820) How to use Office programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329820 -- John Inzer "Littledickens22" <Littledickens22@dis...

Sheet vs File size when sending email in Outlook
In a workbook with a single sheet, if I use "File, Send to, Mail Recipient" the recipient gets an email larger than 3MB, but if I choose "File, Send to, Mail Recipient (as Attachment)", they get an email less than 1MB. I prefer the former as the recipient gets a message with the info in the message body, rather than an attachment, but the file size (arriving in Outlook) is becoming and issue. The excel formatting also needs to be retained. Suggestions? Many thanks, Mike :confused: -- matchball ------------------------------------------------------------------------ ...

Microsoft Office Outlook and newsgroup support
Why, oh why can't we get Outlook with a newsgroup reader? I found on the Web, that there is a download for adding newsgroup support, but the cost is quite high. So, why then can you get Outlook Express, or as in my case, Microsoft Live Mail, which are free programs from MS, with newsgroup access? It seems funny to me that Outlook, bundled with Office makes you pay additional money just to add this feature. It just doesn't make sense. You can use ANY FREE newsreader you want. Nobody is making you pay anything. Tom C wrote: > Why, oh why can't we get Out...

How do I re-input the license for Mac office 2004
Hi, I have 2 Computers with Office 2004 installed - a G4, and a year old macBook Pro. I used to run 2 G4 laptops, but one of them died, and the other one was my main laptop. When I bought my MBP, I copied my main laptop over, and then my main laptop was given over to someone else for their use. The problem is, I have 2 copies of Office 2004, with the same license key, and when any office program is open in one, I can't use Office on the other. I also have a spare license key and the key from the defunct laptop, but I can't find out how to enter one of these other 2 keys so as to ma...

I am receiving a "unable to read file" message. How do I open?
I am receiving a "unable to read file" message. How do I open? Try to open it on another machine. If you get the same result the file is possibly corrupt and un-openable. -- Regards - Andy Wiggins FCCA www.BygSoftware.com Excel, Access and VBA Consultancy "Alanb" <Alanb@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:43A12AA1-9E02-4B67-9BC8-88CD2D613240@microsoft.com... > I am receiving a "unable to read file" message. How do I open? From where are you trying to open? If on removable media, copy first to hard drive then open from there. Alterna...

Why does an Excel 2007 file lose its format when reopened?
An Excel 2007 file (e.g. File.xlsx) loses its formatting when it is reopened. You may have too many cell formats/styles. To see if that's possibly true, click on the Cell Styles "More" arrow and see if you have a gazillion styles showing. If that's true, you can remove unused styles by saving the workbook as a web page, closing, reopening, save as a normal workbook. "Chrystopher" wrote: > An Excel 2007 file (e.g. File.xlsx) loses its formatting when it is reopened. ...

Backing up Money File to CD
Hello. I have been trying to figure out how to backup my family financial file in Money to a CD-RW. I can't seem to find the way to select the CD drive. Money only offers backup to a floppy drive. Does anyone know how to do this? Thanks for any help you can give. Burt http://www.umpmfaq.info/faqdb.php?q=51 -- Glyn Simpson, Microsoft MVP - Money http://money.mvps.org Check http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;EN-GB;mny for UK tips and fixes for MS Money. To send Microsoft your wishes or suggestions, use http://register.microsoft.com/mswish/suggestion.asp or http://www....

Save a file name in Japanese
How can I save a spreadsheet with japanese characters. I get zip files from co-workers in Japan that contain file names with Japanese characters but of course when I save them the file names become corrupt. I have to open each workbook to see what it is. Thanks! Brian ...

Monitoring a directory? Importing excel files
Hi all, I have a function set up in Access to import data from excel files. To do this, I send the file name as an argument and run the code. This is easy enough when it's only a few files, but since I have over 100 I'm looking for a way to streamline this process. Is is possible to set something up to monitor a directory, and run the code when a new file is placed there? Or any other ideas? Thanks in advance, I really appreciate any insight. Check what Randy Birch has at http://vbnet.mvps.org/code/fileapi/watchedfolder.htm Obligatory warning: Randy's site is aimed at VB prog...

Recovering Outlook 2002 Email Files from corrupted HD
I have a corrupted hard drive that won't boot, but the file structure appears intact. I have an auto archive file that restores everything over 2 weeks old. Where can I recover the last 2 weeks worth of email? Thanks for any help I can get on this. Search for pst-files. Make sure you include hidden en system files/folder during your search. -- Roady [MVP] www.sparnaaij.net Microsoft Office and Microsoft Office related News Also Outlook FAQ, How To's, Downloads and more... Tips of the month: -Setting Permissions on a Mailbox -Create an Office XP CD slipstreamed with Service Pac...

can't open weblinks in office 200 documents
I am have difficulty opening weblinks in word and excel, when I try I get either the: "No program is registerd to open this file" or "Cannot locate the Internet server or Proxy server", anyone had this problem - how do I fix it???? ...

Open 2003 files with 2007
Hello all, I just upgraded my Office 2003 with Office 2007 on an EP Pro machine. The only snaffoo I find(so far..) is with Excel 2007. When I double-click on an Excel 2003 file, Excel 2007 starts up just fine, BUT my file is not displayed. At that point if I click the Restore button up at top-right, the file appears when Excel is restored up or down, then all is well. Anyone have any idea whats up with that and how to fix it??? Thanks John Lots of people have complained that when they doubleclick on a file in windows explorer, that the workbook doesn't seem to show up in xl20...

Importing files into CRM 3.0
Hello. 2 quick questions; 1) I have an Excel file that I would like to import into CRM 3.0, to update some information? How do (CAN) I go about doing that? 2) If I can import this file, some of the fields have formulas associated with them (like adding a few cells together,) will that be harmful to a successful import? Thanks so much! The CRM import wizard will not perform updates for existing records. It will only create new records. Anything like formulas may cause the import to break or be interpreted as additional columns etc You check out the scribe tools for more advanced imp...

saving excel file as tab delimited
i am trying to save a excel file , and one of the cells in the file ha a string with a ',' and when saved as a tab delimited file , ""[Doubl Quotes] are printed around the string that was in the cell. EG: NOTE: If conduit is needed*, it * must be in place before vendors ar dispatched to complete any site work when saved as tab delimted file is saved as \" [/B] NOTE: IF CONDUIT IS NEEDED, IT MUST BE IN PLACE BEFORE VENDOR ARE DISPATCHED TO COMPLETE ANY SITE WORK[B]\" I do not want to see double quotes around the string in the ta delimited file. -- kirshr...

How can a split a PUB file into multiple parts?
I cannot find the way to divide a large (150 pg) PUB file into smaller parts. I also want to find out how to extract a single page (the cover) and open only it as a new file. Save your publication with a new name. What version Publisher? If you have 2007 you can select consecutive pages by pressing shift and selecting the page tabs you want to delete. Or press control if the pages are not consecutive. Once deleted, save as a new file. Open the old file again, delete all the pages you don't want and save again with a new name and so on until you have all the sections you need. If ...

Global Address List disappear in Outlook 2003 #3
Hello everyone, We had just upgraded our clients' PC to Outlook 2003, in conjunction with Exchange 5.5. From time to time, when the user click on the Address Book icon insid Outlook, the Global Address list that reside on the right pulldown men disappear. Restarting Outlook sometimes can solve the problem. What causes this behaviour ? Have you found any solution to this problem ? If someone has any type of info, I'd appreciate it a lot. Thanks in advance Ri -- rtrimarchiPosted from http://www.pcreview.co.uk/ newsgroup acces ...

Missing password in DSN file

Multiple BackEnd Files
I'm considering breaking our backend file into multiple files. The only way I've read to do so will break any relationship between files, which would be a chore to relink. That technique involved creating multiple be files, then importing the appropriate tables into each from the un-split original file, then delete the original tables from the un-split original file. 2 questions: 1) What's your opinions on the benefits of multiple-file backend vs single-file backend? (I have at least 1 set of tables that need to be separate for privacy concerns) b) What technique can be used...