Microsoft Error

I bought a powerbook g4 about 7 months ago along with MS office 2004.
When I installed it the first time...I had a bit of trouble because of
the test drive thing...then I uninstalled that.  MS office went back to
working perfectly.  Then, literally all of a sudden, I would click a
word document off the desktop or try to open MS word program and I get
this error message.  The error message says "Microsoft Error
Reporting....MS Word has encountered a problem...blah blah blah..."
So, silly me, I uninstalled it...figuring that maybe I should reinstall
later.  I did that and to no avail the same problem keeps occuring.  I
have done all of the software updates and the programs still do not
work.  What can I do?

Thank you in advance..

Andrea Williams

The MS Error Reporting comes up when a program crashes, so it sounds like
your Word is crashing on launch, so quickly you don't even see the splash
screen.

Such consistent and reproducible problems in Word usually respond to one of
the standard troubleshooting measures, which you will find listed here:

http://word.mvps.org/MacWordNew/TroubleshootingIndex.htm
(hit refresh a few times in Safari, or use a different browser)

Work through them one by one until something helps.  If nothing does, post
back.

Alternatively, test it in a new user account.  If the new account works,
switching over to it may be faster than tracking down the problem.

If programs other than Word also have problems, see the troubleshooting
pages here as well:
http://www.mcgimpsey.com/macoffice/

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

daiyaNOSPAM (1173)
8/31/2005 5:06:47 PM
On 08 31 05 12:06 PM, in article
BF3B31B7.4282E%daiyaNOSPAM@mvps.org.INVALID, "Daiya Mitchell"
<daiyaNOSPAM@mvps.org.INVALID> wrote:

> The MS Error Reporting comes up when a program crashes, so it sounds like
> your Word is crashing on launch, so quickly you don't even see the splash
> screen.

No, no. Word is crashing on quit. I guess I didn't make that clear.
Apparently this is fairly widespread, because I picked up a ready fix, based
on someone else's posting, at www.arstechnica.com -- see the Open Forum for
Macs: a corrupted normal template. Grrrr. And I had just tweaked it to have
my styles. Double grrr. (Now that I have my daughter is learning to talk,
I'm giving up swearing.)

The Error Reporter crashing only adds insult to injury. (Make that a triple
one of those.)

0
jlaudun (3)
9/1/2005 1:40:49 AM
On 8/31/05 6:40 PM,  "John Laudun" wrote:

>"Daiya Mitchell"
> <daiyaNOSPAM@mvps.org.INVALID> wrote:
>
>> The MS Error Reporting comes up when a program crashes, so it sounds like
>> your Word is crashing on launch, so quickly you don't even see the splash
>> screen.
>
> No, no. Word is crashing on quit. I guess I didn't make that clear.

Actually, I don't think that was your message I was replying to.  But crash
on quit, crash on launch, same diff.  Corrupted Normal template can manifest
in a lot of different ways, that's why it's a standard troubleshooting tip
for Word.

> Apparently this is fairly widespread, because I picked up a ready fix, based
> on someone else's posting, at www.arstechnica.com -- see the Open Forum for
> Macs: a corrupted normal template. Grrrr. And I had just tweaked it to have
> my styles. Double grrr. (Now that I have my daughter is learning to talk,
> I'm giving up swearing.)

You can get your styles back, if you didn't trash the old Normal yet. Jump
to the "Restoring Customizations..." section of this page;
http://word.mvps.org/MacWordNew/MacWordNormal.htm
(hit refresh a few times in Safari, or use a different browser)

> The Error Reporter crashing only adds insult to injury. (Make that a triple
> one of those.)

Someone once said the idea of MS servers getting hammered by the Error
Reporter at least gave them a little satisfaction to balance the annoyance
of the crash.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
MacWord Tips: <http://www.word.mvps.org/MacWordNew/>

daiyaNOSPAM (1173)
9/1/2005 2:16:39 AM
Thank you for your help.  I have tried everything that I you have
suggested. I have ran all the updates. I have ran disk utility. I have
ran virex. I have checked my preferences and settings.  I have checked
my file extensions, ownerships, and made sure that my file was being
opened with MS word.    I have also uninstalled and reinstalled MS
office. So...I have no idea what to do next.  Any suggestions?

What version of OS?

Did you try it in a new user account?

You do not say that you tested your Normal template, or global templates, or
third-party add-ins, so check those. (methods in the first link I gave)

Quit on launch is very likely to be corrupt fonts, so check your fonts.  One
of the links I gave will point you toward a method (a mcgimpsey page, I
think).

Are you having problems just with Word?  If with the other programs also,
please describe what you do and what happens.

How did you install MS Office?  Custom install or drag and drop?  Did
anything in the installation process suggest it had not installed properly?

On 9/1/05 6:42 AM,  "andreaCwilliams@gmail.com" wrote:

> Thank you for your help.  I have tried everything that I you have
> suggested. I have ran all the updates. I have ran disk utility. I have
> ran virex. I have checked my preferences and settings.  I have checked
> my file extensions, ownerships, and made sure that my file was being
> opened with MS word.    I have also uninstalled and reinstalled MS
> office. So...I have no idea what to do next.  Any suggestions?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
MacWord Tips: <http://www.word.mvps.org/MacWordNew/>

daiyaNOSPAM (1173)
9/1/2005 2:45:30 PM
In article <BF3BC651.1214%jlaudun@bellsouth.net>,
 John Laudun <jlaudun@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> see the Open Forum for Macs: a corrupted normal template. Grrrr. And
> I had just tweaked it to have my styles. Double grrr.

That's one reason I almost *never* use the Normal template for anything
but a one-off document. In fact, I trash it each time I open Word (using
an AppleScript).

Instead, I have dedicated templates for my correspondence. Unlike the
Normal template, they aren't used as a scratchpad, so they rarely, if
ever, corrupt.

OTOH, keeping a backup of your tweaked Normal would allow you to restore
your styles, too.
0
jemcgimpsey (6723)
9/1/2005 9:03:13 PM
I am using 10.3.9.  I am not exactly sure what you mean by 'new user
account'?  But I'll try it!  When I tried the template troubleshooting
directions: "Troubleshooting Procedure: Quit Word and open Word's
Startup folder: /Applications/Microsoft Office (X or
2004)/Office/Startup/Word. Drag the contents to the Desktop. If the
problem disappears, add them back in one by one until you find the
culprit." There is nothing is that folder. I am guessing that might be
my problem.  I dont know.  I am having the same problem in all the
office applications.  When I installed MS office, I did the custom
install because I didnt want entourage.  I didnt receive any error
messages when I installed it.

If the startup folder is empty, then it's not your problem.  That just means
you don't have any global templates or add-ins, nothing's wrong there.

What about the Normal Template?

I meant a new user account/login in OS X.  Check MacHelp, it's actually very
easy.

The Entourage app takes 10MB.  You never have to launch it.  But Office is
pretty co-dependent and if you wind up Removing and Reinstalling again, I
think you should try installing it.  It ought not to be this way, but...
(there's also Remove and Reinstall tips on that link I gave you)

There's no inherent incompatibilities with 10.3.9, that's the same OS I'm
on.

On 9/2/05 8:12 PM,  "andreaCwilliams@gmail.com" wrote:

> I am using 10.3.9.  I am not exactly sure what you mean by 'new user
> account'?  But I'll try it!  When I tried the template troubleshooting
> directions: "Troubleshooting Procedure: Quit Word and open Word's
> Startup folder: /Applications/Microsoft Office (X or
> 2004)/Office/Startup/Word. Drag the contents to the Desktop. If the
> problem disappears, add them back in one by one until you find the
> culprit." There is nothing is that folder. I am guessing that might be
> my problem.  I dont know.  I am having the same problem in all the
> office applications.  When I installed MS office, I did the custom
> install because I didnt want entourage.  I didnt receive any error
> messages when I installed it.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
MacWord Tips: <http://www.word.mvps.org/MacWordNew/>

daiyaNOSPAM (1173)
9/3/2005 3:21:47 PM
So I finally just set up ithe new use account...(you were right, it was
really, really easy)  I think that I will just switch to the new user
account to use MS office  because when I installed it...it works
perfectly.  Thank you so much for all your help!

Glad you found a fix.

Actually, before you switch over, do one more thing-- hold down shift as you
login to your regular user account.  This prevents account startup items
from loading (and you could turn those off manually,
this is just easier). Then check Office. You want to make sure the startup
items aren't the cause because presumably you are about to reinstall them in
the new user account.

Yes, sometimes switching accounts is easier than tracking down the problem.

On 9/3/05 9:52 PM,  "andreaCwilliams@gmail.com" wrote:

> So I finally just set up ithe new use account...(you were right, it was
> really, really easy)  I think that I will just switch to the new user
> account to use MS office  because when I installed it...it works
> perfectly.  Thank you so much for all your help!

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/
MacWord Tips: <http://www.word.mvps.org/MacWordNew/>

daiyaNOSPAM (1173)

Money Updates: "Money encountered an error processing the download file ('SMRTINET.ini').
My M04 has not been doing Money Updates (other parts of update are doing so: quotes, accounts) for a month now. The Call Summary for Money Updates says Money encountered an error processing the download file ('SMTINET.INI'). Out of curiosity I looked for such a file name on the computer--none. We have two accounts on Money. The other account is NOT encountering any such problem--Money Updates are working fine for it. No changes for either account of any seeming relevance preceded the loss of updates on the one account. Questions: (1) Does anyone know how to fix this? (2) Thes...

microsoft
weghtgh ...

Errors with Multiple accounts on same POP3
Does anyone know of a workaround to the known issue of having multiple accounts on the same POP3? I can't for the life of me find a way to check my second account. I found the following Microsoft KB article but even that doesn't work for me. I can see the pop3 server I just can't access it without a login error. Thanks for any help. Light SYMPTOMS When you log on to Microsoft Outlook by using a profile that contains two Post Office Protocol (POP3) accounts, you may be prompted to provide a password for one of the accounts, and you may receive duplicate e-mail messag...

Redirect Rule error in Outlook
I set up a rule to redirect my mail to an outside address and when I receive mail from the outside once the mail arrives I get the following error "The redirect action is not currently supported with Run Rules Now" the mail I receive from the outside is pulled into my email box by a POP3 account. If I send myself a mail through the Exchange Server it redirect to the outside with out issue. Any suggestions. Thank you. -- Stacy Justice Aculab USA Inc. ...

Undefined Function Error
I am developing in access 2002 on a win98 2nd edition machine. When I transfer my database to a Windows XP Professional Machine running Access 2002 I encounter errors. For Example the code: SQLStmt = "SELECT * FROM [GL Transactions] WHERE Left([GL ID],6) = '" & Temp & "' ORDER BY [GL ID]" Set GL = CurDb.OpenRecordset(SQLStmt, dbOpenDynaset) When run this code produces an Undefined Function Error for the Function 'Left' on the XP machine but executes properly on the Win 98 Machine. I have checked the references and they are the same and in the ...

Microsoft Promo

XmlValidatingReader unbelievable error
Hi everyone, I am trying now for 4-5 hours to write a simple code to validate a very simple XML and i still get an error. Here is my Code, and i always get an error at args.Exception ("The 'urn:books:catalog' element is not declared. An error occurred at file:///c:/inetpub/wwwroot/LakisService/books.xml, (2, 2).") private void Button2_Click(object sender, System.EventArgs e) { XmlTextReader r = new XmlTextReader(Server.MapPath("books.xml")); XmlSchema xs = new XmlSchema(); xs.SourceUri = Server.MapPath("books.xsd"); XmlValidatingReader v = new X...

Error Code 80041A01 Meaning
I'm receiving this error when I attempt to set a pricelevelid during the creation of a product: ErrorCode: 80041A01 A field that is not valid for create was specified. I am certain the correct GUID is being passed in the xml representation of the product. Does this error mean that we are not permited to set price levels during creation? Or is something else wrong? Thanks, Justin Examine the XSD in the SDK for the object you are trying to create. For each field that is invalid for create, check your XML to see if that field is included. If it is remove the field and use an alternat...

Error: The macro 'FreezeHeader' cannot be found
When I go to Windows -> Freeze Panes, I encounter this error. Any idea on how to solve it? Thanks in advance. Have you tried clicking, Help, Detect and Repair? mis wrote: > When I go to Windows -> Freeze Panes, I encounter this error. Any idea on > how to solve it? Thanks in advance. > > ...

error message 11-14-07
I get this error message "Reserved error (-1517); there is no message for this error." when I try to open my data base. This is a linked data base that the employees use. I can open the main data base with no problem. This just started happening this morning. -- clcnewtoaccess This probably has something to do with the linked tables. Try to relink the tables one by one and you'll be prompted with the one causing the trouble (renamed?) hth -- Maurice Ausum "clcnewtoaccess" wrote: > I get this error message "Reserved error (-1517); there is no message...

microsoft XL

Server Error in '/OMA' Application.
After installing Service Pack 1 and Un-installing and Re- installing Device Update 4 we are still unable to access the OMA or OWAAdmin application. The stack reference is Security.Exception on the mscorlib. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks! ...

Unknown Error Message
Windows XP Home. Dell Inspiron Laptop. MS Office 2003. When I open any document in Word 2003 (but not in Excel) I get the message...: "This document could not be registered. It will not be possible to create links from other documents to this document." I have checked in Options etc but I cannot find any reference to registering. I do not know what this is. Can anyone help? I would like at least to get rid of the notice as it is very annoying every time I open a document. TIA for any help. Ed (I posted this earlier but it has not appeared in my OE. Apologi...

unable to insert from scanner
After installing a digital camera i am unable to insert anything from my scanner - i am getting "error occured" message but no help to say what the problem is. Can anyone suggest anything? Thanks Kanneily ...

Run DLL error message-windows7
Hi,every time i turn on my comp,i have this error message-Run DLL there was a problem starting-C:\Windows\system32\sshnas.dll The specifield module could not be found. please help? SSHNAS.DLL Trojan.Dropper/Win-NV http://www.superantispyware.com/malwarefiles/SSHNAS.DLL.html -- Rey "graniteson" wrote: > Hi,every time i turn on my comp,i have this error message-Run DLL > there was a problem starting-C:\Windows\system32\sshnas.dll > The specifield module could not be found. > please help? graniteson wrote: > Hi, every time I turn on my comp, I ...

error 0x80040900
I get error 0x80040900 when trying use outlook to connect with my yahoo small business mail. Any suggestions? T What version of Outlook are you running? What sort of mail account? What are you trying to do when you get this message? What is the complete text of the message? -- Jeff Stephenson Outlook Development This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights "T" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:023301c3d542$4edc63d0$a101280a@phx.gbl... > I get error 0x80040900 when trying use outlook to connect >...

Which version of Microsoft Office #2

Microsoft Office 2004
Hi I have been using the microsoft office 2004 on an ibook G4 on panther for the last 6 months. Recently, it is refusing to read some of the excel and powerpoint file created on a PC under the Office 97. I can see the file name but not the icon next to it when I look under Finder. When I click on the file name, the file disappears from view completely. At first I thought it was a software issue so I re-install the Microsoft Office 2004, but the problem persists. Has anyone encountered this problem? Any suggestions to solve it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance, June In artic...