Mac Word freezes Computer my computer

I have recntly purchased an apple Macbook intel core Duo notebook
running Tiger and MS office for mac version 2004 for students. both
have been fully updated off of the web.
When I load a word doc file off of my USB stick all's well until I try
to then save a file; when quite often, the coloured circle appears
forever, when word on the tool bay is touched it indicates that " word
is not responding"
when I try to force quit this some times works BUT then finder will not
work and will not reset, so the only way to regain control of the
computer is to hold down the "on/off key" and loose all of the data.
Though I am able to minimise the problem by having auto save no every
few minutes.

I use a USB stick to use the documents at college on Microsoft operated
computers.

Regards.

MikeH.

Hi Mike -

Using the USB stick to *transport* the files is fine, BUT:

NEVER Save directly to one!
NEVER Open a file directly from one!

Save to your HD, copy to the stick & at the other end copy to the HD & work
with that copy. Otherwise you're file becomes a corrupt pile of garbage just
waiting to dump on you at precisely the most inopportune moment :)

I'm not certain that the corruption hasn't already happened - that may be
the cause of the behavior you describe. If you still can't open the file
when you copy it to the HD, try using File>Open & change the Enable list to
Recover Text from Any File. You will probably lose any formatting but may be
able to recover at least the content.

BTW - if you're taking the files to a PC make sure to use the checkbox in
the Save dialog to Append File Extension.

Good Luck |:>)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

Switch to Mac?!
Dear all! I am seriously contemplating switching to Apple.... I usually hear screams of horror at this point, but given this is a Mac forum !... I have long been a Microsoft addict. I have the SPV phone, a Dell Axim, I have 3 pc desktops, 3 laptops- all running some form of Windows. I am even a Microsoft beta tester. BUT, I am sick of it. I want a change. One of my primary concerns about the switch is Office. I love office 2003 for the pc- BUT error messages are constant and outlook keeps crashing. I've looked on the Microsoft mactopia website and it all looks very good but of course...

Customize Word to Behave Like Outlook
I confess - Word overwhelms me! My native tongue, so to speak, is Excel and I find myself always having to fight Word to get it to let me enter text and make it look like I want it to. On the other hand, by necessity, I've gotten marginaly proficient with using Outlook 2007 - at least it doesn't fight me as much. Now for the question - is it possible to 'dumb down' Word 2007 by some set of customizations to the level of Outlook 2007 (set for messages in HTML format)? Has anyone actually done this or have any ideas for good search terms to find references to ...

how to play two movies synchronously in one computer? (in direct x)
Hi, I need to play two films on a PC,both of them to be played quite synchronously. I have two IMediaControl, each for a film and I do start them just one after the other. But there is a delay between the two. the delay is different, maybe 1 ms maybe 15 ms. Is there any solution for a better timing ? thanks, Behzad thanks for your reply, most of the time 15 ms is not important, but when u have a moving object, 15 ms time difference is quite visible. I think it is because the frame rate, u may have 15 msec time difference, but it could be a frame forward, .... .and when u have a moving ...

Office for Mac apps "unexpectedly quit"
I am running Office X for Mac (2001 version) on my Powerbook G4 with OS X Tiger 10.4.11 I have never had any problems using my office suite until yesterday when I tried to open Word by clicking on the Word Icon in my Dock. It started to open and then a window came up saying "word has unexpectedly quit." I tried numerous times and each time got the same message. This also happens if I try to open Excel or Powerpoint. Interestingly, if I double click on an existing word, powerpoint or excel document the program opens with no problem. It just won't open by double clicking on the ap...

2004 Mac Microsoft Excel: Lost corner! Can NOT shrink the window!! #3
I am new to Mac, so if anyone can tell me how to fix this problem I have, it will be appreciated. When I launch Excel, open an existing file by choosing 'open' under 'File' at toolbar, Excel opens up a window to show all the files, folders etc. from my computer HD and extermal HD etc. in one window with the tile 'Open: Microsoft Excel'. Somehow, this winow in my Excel program has corner push down out of screen. Therefore, I can not grab the corner to shrink the window to fit my computer screen. I barely see 'Cancel' and 'Open' icons at the bottom of the...

Upgrade Mac MSO v.X To Mac MSO 2004 To Mac MSO 2008
I own a G4 iMac 15-inch which runs 10.4.11. I plan to purchase an Intel iMac 24-inch soon. I am a registered user of MSO v.X. I wish to purchase the MSO 2004 upgrade at the discounted upgrade price which often sells for $203.99. Then I wish to upgrade MSO 2004 to MSO 2008 for the $6.99 upgrade price. Does my MSO v.X version qualify for the MSO 2004 upgrade price? Will the MSO 2004 installer recognize my MSO v.X installation as a qualifying upgradeable package? Is my MSO v.X to MSO 2008 upgrade path legitimate? On a sidebar, I plan to perform a fresh installation of MSO 2008 on the Inte...

Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/September/20, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID'
Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/September/20, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' please send e-mail loa210@mail.gr , loa210@mailbox.gr , -------------------------------------------------------- 08/22/2007 Mac OS X Tiger 10.4.10 X86 08/14/2007 Adobe CS3 Master Collection MAC OSX UB D1 .DVD 08/09/2007 Digidesign Pro Tools V7.3 LE MAC OSX 05/11/2007 Altiverb 5.1 .MAC. .PPC. OSX 04/26/2007 VTC Macromedia D...

How to transfer AutoCorrect entries from Word 2002 for Windows
Version: 2004 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) Hi, <br><br>I have a friend who has built up a *massive* AutoCorrect file from many years of using Word 2002 on a Windows PC. Most are plain text, but a small number are formatted. He now (thankfully!) has a MacBook with Office 2004 and wants to know how he can move all of his AutoCorrect entries across to work under Word for Mac. I know where the AutoCorrect file is stored on his Mac (in the ~/Library/Preferences/Microsoft folder), but it appears to be a completely different format to the corresponding file from his PC. &...

Excel addon for Mac
For my marketing college class I had to buy a textbook that comes with Excel addon software. However, the software is Windows only. I own a Mac with office, Excel included. Does anyone know if there if a copy of the software for Macs? Textbook: Basic Marketing Research: Using Microsoft Excel Data Analysis Software: XL Data Analyst OS: Mac OS X 10.4.4 Office: Mac office 2004 Teacher/Student Edition I have also contacted the publisher of the book and they said they could not find a Mac version of the addon. A search of google leads to http://xldataanalyst.com/Basic/ -- Regards, Tush...

Using 2007 Word to open 2003 Word document
I just installed Office 2007. When I opened any Word 2003 document, the formatting seems to be all skewered. For example, a page breaks off in the middle, and a five page document becomes five and half. Will someone please tell how to us Word 2007 in opening a Word 2003 document without the former formatting? The difference is almost certainly caused by differences in the Printer Driver. (It also points to some probably irrational formatting in the original document). -- Hope this helps. Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of my services o...

Folders in Word for Mac
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) I may be being dumb, but I cannot find how you create a folder within documents, to hold all your files on a certain subject. Can someone tell me please? GrahamH I'm not sure I understand your question... Folders are created so that documents [which are files] can be stored within *them*, you don't create "folders within documents". Folders can be created in a Finder window, on the Desktop, or from within the Open & Save As dialogs of most programs. If you can be more clear about the nature of you...

Master Documents in Word 2007
1. I have created a master document and in my subdocument, I have made some changes. How do I update my master document? 2. Also, in my subdocument, there is a Next Page break between the TOC and the body but when it is in the Master document, there is no break and I cannot insert one. 3. This master document will end of being a 12 chapter document. How do I use the cross-reference function to number the chapters and have the page numbers run in secquence? 4. I will have 5 different page "styles" a cover page, 2 main TOC pages with left and right style h...

Adobe.CS3.Master.Collection.MAC.OSX.UB 4DVD, Adobe.Premiere.Pro.CS3.MAC 1DVD, QuarkXPress.7.3.Passport.MAC 1CD,
Adobe.CS3.Master.Collection.MAC.OSX.UB 4DVD, Adobe.Premiere.Pro.CS3.MAC 1DVD, QuarkXPress.7.3.Passport.MAC 1CD, Mac Stuff CDs, A to Z, updated 2007/August/17, and Win & Mac programs, 'WinMac', 'PC/MaC', 'Win-Mac', 'Multi', 'Multi-Platform', 'MultiFormat', 'MULTIOS', 'HYBRID' please send e-mail loa210@mail.gr , loa210@mailbox.gr , -------------------------------------------------------- DFT Super Bundle for Apple Final Cut Pro, 4 CDs The DFT Super Bundle includes full versions of: 55mm, Digital Film Lab, Composite Suite,...

After upgrading the Outlook 2003 Word as email editor is unavailab #3
I have a few computers on my network that the option to use Microsoft office Word 2003 as e-mail editor is unavailable. I need this option available so the company logo can be on the signature. the computers were running an earlier vertion of office I upgraded the outlook to 2003 to work with the SBS 2003 we installed and exchange. I also upgraded Word to 2003 thinking this might fix it. but the option is still greyed out. any suggestions? I'm thinking I need to install office 2003 instead of just word 2003. ...

office for mac test drive wrong language
i recently purchased a new Mac and it came with a office test drive. i would like to try it but when i click to install the user agrement is in a foreign language so i did not accept is there anyway to switch this to english? can i remove the test drive and download it from the website? thanks for any help Matt ...

Mac
Is there a version of Publisher for the MacBookPro? No, unless you want to run some sort of Windows emulator on your Mac. -- JoAnn Paules MVP Microsoft [Publisher] Tech Editor for "Microsoft Publisher 2007 For Dummies" "Carolyn Shadle" <Carolyn Shadle@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:A4B0B40A-F704-42CB-BBA2-677BE89D0AF8@microsoft.com... > Is there a version of Publisher for the MacBookPro? ...

Saving Word doc's as PDF
When saving a Word doc as a PDF is there a way to make "Optimized" the default selection for creating the PDF? I'd like to have all PDF's saved in the compressed mode to reduce the file size that is generated. Hi Randy, What software are you using to save as PDF? -- Cheers macropod [Microsoft MVP - Word] "Randy H" <Randy H@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C07CD628-5DFC-457A-AE03-158F4A18203B@microsoft.com... > When saving a Word doc as a PDF is there a way to make "Optimized" the > default selection for ...

Sharing VBA Code between Word and Access 2007
I want to share code (e.g., functions and programming notes to myself) between my Access and Word. How is that done? Not sure I'm following what you're after ... If you have code you've written in Access, referring to Access' features and functions, why would it work in Word, which has different features and functions? Regards Jeff Boyce Microsoft Access MVP -- Disclaimer: This author may have received products and services mentioned in this post. Mention and/or description of a product or service herein does not constitute endorsement thereof. ...

How to move or copy pc-outlook contacts to Mac Entourage
How to move or copy pc-outlook contacts to Mac Entourage Not sure what formats Entourage can import in but there's some good info on these pages: http://www.entourage.mvps.org/import_export/index.html http://www.entourage.mvps.org/cross_platform/win_mac.html#pst "Szven Persszon" <szvenpersszon@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:C4C9D6B7.2C29%szvenpersszon@hotmail.com... > How to move or copy pc-outlook contacts to Mac Entourage Szven Persszon <szvenpersszon@hotmail.com> wrote: > How to move or copy pc-outlook contacts to Mac Entourage See if this help...

My Word Document is formated wrong on a PC
Version: 2008 Operating System: Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) Processor: Intel I went for a job interview the other day and when I looked at the Resume they had printed out the formatting was off. The spacing between the sentences were ok but the type that should of been on the second was half way down the second page. I took my original PC word doc. and opened it up and the Mac and it's the same way only it backwards most the type that should of been on the second page most of it was on the first page. I even made the PC word doc a .rtf file but it's still wrong and I can't se...

Microsoft Outlook Won't Open
Hi, Microsoft Outlook will not open. I have used the repair option from the Office 2000 disk. I have also uninstalled Office 2000 and reinstalled without any resolution. Once the icon for Microsoft Outlook is clicked, the program will open to the box that tells what program and who it is registered to, but then I must reboot the computer to do any other functions. I receive no error messages from Outlook as to what the problem might be. Thank you for any recommendations. ...

Excel PC to Excel Mac
How can I ensure that the format used in a PC created worksheet remains the same when opened in Excel on a MAC? -- Keith Dore KDore@AIC wrote: > How can I ensure that the format used in a PC created worksheet remains the > same when opened in Excel on a MAC? When you save the spreadsheet on a MAC, make sure you have the extensions turned on (*.xls). This way, when you open the file in Windows, Excel will be able to read the file because it looks for the extension. The *file* formats for MacXL 98, 01, v.X and 04 are absolutely identical to WinXL 97, 00, 02, and 03. For *display*...

Office 2004 creates problems with Mac Mail
I installed Office 2004 on a Mac G4 running O/S 10.3.5. I did not install Entourage. I installed Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Messenger. As soon as I installed Office 2004 I started having problems with Mac Mail. When I receive an e-mail from someone, I have no problem reading it. However when I hit reply and the window comes up to type my reply around the incoming message, the incoming message has turned to total gobbleygook. It is still in regular characters but they make no sense. Additionally, when I get incoming e-mail, my Mac Mail icon in the dock has a superscript that shows how many...

How to convert MKV to iPad on Mac
I got some good MKV files, now I want to put them on my iPad then I can watch them anywhere. Well, I know I can watch .mkv files with the VLC Media player, but seems iPad doesn&#8216;t support .mkv playback, so I'm busy in finding an ipad video converter to convert MKV to iPad MP4 or a similar format. It's really an arduous job to find one tool that easy to use and not costly but can service for my conversion. Luckily, a friend of mine recommended me a MKV to iPad video converter for Mac which he tried very great. I download the freetrial and found it's very easy to...

how do i insert words into a column without erasing the words
i have excel 95-96 on the computer i use, but ever time i want to add something it delets the whole row. how can i aviod this from happening. but i am looking for the row at the top of the page where you can click on the row and insert a word, numbers or whatever you need to where do i find that on the program? ...